Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

56 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Bama' mod crystal balled Brockermeyer's to them.

Our offensive line recruiting in this cycle will be a Hindenburg sized fuck up that will be talked about for years. I miss the times when we talked about if we would have room to sign six or seven of these guys. Because that will be fun to remember when we go the JUCO route eventually. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Our offensive line recruiting in this cycle will be a Hindenburg sized fuck up that will be talked about for years. I miss the times when we talked about if we would have room to sign six or seven of these guys. Because that will be fun to remember when we go the JUCO route eventually. 

I dont understand it. Hand is a well respected offensive line coach. He has developed the players under him at Texas. Cosmi will be a first or second rounder. Several of the older guys have a chance to be drafted and several of the younger guys have a chance to be first day or so picks. Our O-line is definitely trending upward. I dont understand why the Brocks didnt jump on board a long time ago and help Milroe lead Texas to the #1 class in the nation.  I know Herman is a dick but still. You gonna let that guy stop you from being a Longhorn? when its been your dream your whole life? to follow your grandpa and your dad? fuck that noise.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I dont understand it. Hand is a well respected offensive line coach. He has developed the players under him at Texas. Cosmi will be a first or second rounder. Several of the older guys have a chance to be drafted and several of the younger guys have a chance to be first day or so picks. Our O-line is definitely trending upward. I dont understand why the Brocks didnt jump on board a long time ago and help Milroe lead Texas to the #1 class in the nation.  I know Herman is a dick but still. You gonna let that guy stop you from being a Longhorn? when its been your dream your whole life? to follow your grandpa and your dad? fuck that noise.

Some people lead, others follow.

48 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

That seems like a stretch to say Texas has several younger offensive lineman that could go in the first round 

1 hour ago, Blackcat00 said:

Pump the brakes on Brock. In the end I think he ends up in Austin. 

thank you.  they will wear burnt orange.  all the jackasses on here crying about herman fucking up this recruitment are ignorant pussies.  the brothers are enjoying being recruited, that’s it.  if they don’t come to austin to fulfill their destiny I’ll eat a bowl of shit. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Hand is going to need more time and less games where his QB is sacked 11 times against a simple stunt. Cosmi and Kerstetter getting drafted in 2021 will be his case. Neither was a highly thought of prospect out of HS, both were developed into Top 4 round OL, hopefully.

Then you need guys like Jones, Moore, Tyler, Hoofkin, and Ghrimai to step up in a similar way that Cosmi and Kerstetter did.

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

Don’t forget their brother. It’s almost like he’s just THAT much of a prick. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

I dont understand it. Hand is a well respected offensive line coach. He has developed the players under him at Texas. Cosmi will be a first or second rounder. Several of the older guys have a chance to be drafted and several of the younger guys have a chance to be first day or so picks. Our O-line is definitely trending upward.

someone needs to re-watch the Baylor game

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That’s great. Now take out 2 absurd outliers in Baylor and OU and do it. Just add the average of the test of the games and do it. Also what Burt said. Do you really think rolling up here with the analysis of Brian fucking Davis was going to serve you well? 

suck off Chip Brown’s sources next. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our OL struggles had more to do with play calling/scheme than Hand’s coaching. There’s no doubt Hand has elevated the talent and level of play since he got here. 

Well, clearly there is SOME doubt. I mean it’s not justified but it is technically doubt. 

(Mike Roach) Recruiting Retrospective: BJ Johnson and his legacy at Texas

BJ Johnson was a high school legend. The five-star prospect out of South Grand Prairie lit up scoreboards across the D-FW area during his time as a Warrior. When he came to Texas in the 2000 class along with Roy Williams and Sloan Thomas, the trio took the Texas offense to another level. Though Johnson was part of that offensive explosion and finished ranked highly in a few different categories, he never fulfilled the elite status he arrived in Austin with. Horns247’s Bobby Burton was around covering recruiting during that time, and he feels that he is responsible for his lofty ranking.

“BJ Johnson was a good receiver, but he was ultimately overrated,” Burton said. “That’s not his fault, it’s mine. I had seen him as a junior and really liked him. Then I saw him early in his junior year. He took a bubble screen 80-yards to the house. But he also dropped a ball and wasn’t physically dominating. In retrospect, I was simply too high on him. Good, solid player but I really think he was an above-average athlete, not a great one.”

Evaluation has come a long way since that time. Burton attributed Johnson’s to a relative lack of film at the time. In hindsight, Johnson’s classmate Roy Williams should have garnered the higher ranking. “I wanted him to be a Peter Warrick-type and that just wasn’t him,” Burton said. “Turns out there was a Randy Moss-type over in Odessa and I didn’t get to see him in person until after all the rankings were done. You have to remember, back in those days, the accessibility of film just isn’t what it is today.”

It wasn’t all disappointing for Johnson. Though he never made a big splash in the NFL, he had a productive college career and successful post-football career. A four-year starter at Texas, Johnson ended his career with 152 receptions, 2,389 yards and 16 touchdowns. Johnson’s performance was good enough to land him in the Top 10 in all-time receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns at UT. Johnson suffered a tibia injury that plagued his draft prospects.

He eventually caught on with the Denver Broncos for a short stint. After football, Johnson got into multiple business off the field. He is co-owner at a management and consulting company, and he also launched a vodka brand with his teammate Roy Williams. Johnson’s son Keylan Johnson was a three-star receiver in the 2020 class and ended up signing with Tarleton State.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Texas took a bit of dip in pass pro this year but they're definitely trending "upward".

'16-59th in adjusted line yards, 110th in sack rate

'17-90th in adjusted line yards, 90th in sack rate

'18-32nd in adjusted line yards, 47th in sack rate

'19-11th in adjusted line yards, 84th in sack rate 

They've trending up in adjusted line yards. '19 was the first year of regression in sack rate but that probably had a lot to do with other issues on offense. 

If they're top 15 in adjusted line yards and around 50th in sack rate in '20 that's going to be a very good OL. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sounds like you need to rewatch the entirety of the charlie strong era. It will help you set a baseline for the concept of “trending upwards” and as a personal bonus you’ll probably have about 600 orgasms. 

Aw man you got to the satya jerking off joke before me

44 minutes ago, futureman said:

thank you.  they will wear burnt orange.  all the jackasses on here crying about herman fucking up this recruitment are ignorant pussies.  the brothers are enjoying being recruited, that’s it.  if they don’t come to austin to fulfill their destiny I’ll eat a bowl of shit. 

So basically we win either way.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So that game the OL looked like warmed over cat shit and then against Utah and TTU they were fine. Upward trend, imo

You can pick any time frame you want to prove a given point. Last year our O-line looked great against LSU, then began to deteriorate; struggled against WVU, gave up a program-record nine sacks against blOU, failed to generate anything on the ground against Iowa State, culminating in the abortion that was Baylor. That's what recruits saw from the unit last year, and that's what frames their thoughts on our O-line.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

You can pick any time frame you want to prove your point. Last year our O-line looked great against LSU, then began to deteriorate; struggled against WVU, gave up a program-record nine sacks against blOU, failed to generate anything on the ground against Iowa State, culminating in the abortion that was Baylor. That's what recruits saw from the unit last year, and that's what frames their thoughts on our O-line.

And they're still trending up in pass pro. 

In 2015 and 2016, Texas finished 127th and 110th in adjusted sack rate. In the last 2 years under Strong we were arguably the worst OL in pass pro out of the major conferences. 

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

In Gilbert’s offense the quarterback got rid of the ball so fast that saved that line a ton of sacks.  So you can’t compare offensive line play by sacks by itself.  Also many sacks last year were from Sam holding the ball too long and getting tackled for -1 yard loss.  Last year’s offensive line was light years better than anything CS teams produced.  

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You can pick any time frame you want to prove a given point. Last year our O-line looked great against LSU, then began to deteriorate; struggled against WVU, gave up a program-record nine sacks against blOU, failed to generate anything on the ground against Iowa State, culminating in the abortion that was Baylor. That's what recruits saw from the unit last year, and that's what frames their thoughts on our O-line.

When did you poll every recruit to determine none of them watched our bowl game? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sounds like you need to rewatch the entirety of the charlie strong era. It will help you set a baseline for the concept of “trending upwards” and as a personal bonus you’ll probably have about 600 orgasms. 

@Longhorn94 never mentioned the Strong era, because it's not relevant to recruits. They care about how this staff, the staff that contains Herb Hand and is actually recruiting them, is doing. And from 2017 to now the unit may have gotten more talented, but it's still suffering on the field.

Yes, the BD tweet mentions Strong, but take that away and it still reflects poorly. 34 sacks --> 28 sacks --> 36 sacks isn't a great three-year look.

Edited by satyanash

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

@Longhorn94 never mentioned the Strong era, because it's not relevant to recruits. They care about how this staff, the staff that contains Herb Hand and is actually recruiting them, is doing. And from 2017 to now the unit may have gotten more talented, but it's still suffering on the field.

Yes, the BD tweet mentions Strong, but take that away and it still reflects poorly.

Hand had to deal with the empty shitshow of a roster that was left to him. And they got better. And this staff made them better. You’re not a complete fucking idiot, so don’t be obtuse. Hence, “trending upward.” Theyre better than  they were when he found them, and outside of horrific playcalling from last year they’d look better still. Anyone paying attention, except you apparently, knows Hand isn’t the problem. Oh wait, we all pointed out it was Tom Herman before you even showed up to spray your vaginal discharge everywhere. 

• Like 3

(Hank South) New Alabama Crystal Ball predictions

Alabama ended last week with a bang on the recruiting trail, adding a pair of commitments in Anquin Barnes and Agiye Hall to join Deontae Lawson as the trio that currently makes up the Crimson Tide's 2021 recruiting class. Nick Saban and company have UA in the mix for a number of highly-rated prospects going forward, meaning the Tide's recruiting momentum is just getting started as we draw closer towards May. Here are five 247Sports Crystal Ball picks I'm making (or changing) along with an explanation for each.

Ga’Quincy McKinstry, 5-star CB, Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley — Alabama

I’ve been leaning towards placing a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Crimson Tide for a few weeks now, and am pulling the trigger today. While I don’t by any means think this is a “lock”, I do think things are trending in favor of Alabama as it stands. The five-star cornerback has been to Tuscaloosa roughly a dozen times throughout the recruiting process, has great admiration for Nick Saban and what he’s done developing NFL talent, particularly in the secondary, and McKinstry’s relationship with cornerbacks coach Karl Scott is one of the better player-coach bonds he has. Auburn, Clemson, LSU, and Georgia are all in the mix, but I think it’s Bama that has the inside track right now.

247Sports scouting report:

"Possesses a lean build with good length and stature for a cornerback. Tested as a good athlete prior to his junior season and should continue making progress on that front as he spends more time in the weight room over the next few years. In addition to the football field, shows his athleticism as an above-the-rim basketball player and one of the better hoopers in Alabama. Is an outstanding and productive two-way player on the gridiron, starring as a receiver and corner for Pinson Valley. Has elite ball skills as a corner and would also be a top prospect as a receiver if he wanted. Shows the ability to consistently pluck the ball at his highest point and win in contested situations on both sides of the ball. In addition to high-pointing and out-jumping the competition, also shows the ability to locate and track the ball downfield. Makes difficult plays at a high rate and finds multiple ways to effect the game. Instinctive in coverage and shows the ability to read the quarterback's eyes and break on the ball. Impresses with his competitive nature. Will need to continue honing his coverage technique as a cornerback, which should come once he focuses on the sport and position full time. Projcts as an impact multi-year starter at the Power 5 level with the upside of developing into an early round draft pick."

Terrion Arnold, 4-star S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic -- Alabama

Alabama is going pedal to the metal to add the Top100 safety from Tallahassee. Arnold is in daily contact with several members of the Crimson Tide staff, Nick Saban included. Steve Wiltfong got the Crystal Ball going for Arnold to Bama, and I’m joining him today. Florida, Florida State, and others will remain in the mix, and Arnold is likely to take visits elsewhere before coming to a decision, but the Tide appears to be in solid standing at the moment. “Definitely their track record with DBs,” Arnold recently said of why he’s considering UA. “Coach Saban works with the DBs hands on. And just the ability to contend for a national championship every year and go against the best guys in practice. Practice is what makes you the best you can be, not the games, because you practice more than you play.”

A twitchy athlete with a compact build and a bounce to his step. Has played primarily safety at the high school level, but is versatile enough to probably get it done at cornerback in college. High IQ football player that closes extremely fast on the ball and can anticipate quarterback’s moves. Very physical and likes contact. Will outmuscle receivers to win a jump ball, if needed. Can quickly get across the field to clean up mistakes. A threat to score anytime the ball finds its way into his hands. Quick, but could get faster. Has the opportunity to also play basketball in college. One of the more complete defensive back prospects in a loaded 2021 class for the Sunshine State. Should sign with a Top 25 program and develop into an all-conference type player. Potential is there to play on Sundays.

Tommy Brockermeyer, 5-star OT, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal — Alabama

Another five-star I’ve liked Bama’s chances with for the majority of 2020, Brockermeyer had been trending to Texas for the entirety of his recruitment. The nation’s top-ranked offensive lineman lives in Texas, his dad was an All-American lineman for the Longhorns, and his older brother currently plays for UT. But it’s Alabama that has been trending in recent months. Brockermeyer has visited Tuscaloosa twice in the last year, and was set to be back on campus in early April for the first of two official visit to UA (the second coming in June). Texas, of course, will remain a major contender, along with Auburn, LSU, and others, but UA is in good standing at the moment.

"Big-framed offensive tackle with outstanding football pedigree. Possesses requisite height and frame potential for elite tackle prospect. Plays with active feet and encouraging leg drive. Shows better than expected pad level and leverage relative to height and frame length. Plays with a high motor and displays block-finishing ability. Gets to second level well. Owns a very high ceiling as a pass-blocker and true left tackle potential. Occasionally plays with too much forward lean. Can get too far out over his feet. Hand placement consistency could use work. Missed junior year with a shoulder injury. One of the top offensive tackles nationally in the 2021 class. Possesses early-round NFL Draft potential."

James Brockermeyer, 4-star OC, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal — Alabama

The Tide offered James, Tommy’s twin brother, at Junior Day on Feb. 1. The two aren’t considered a “package deal” but both would obviously love to play together at the next level. The two are considering many of the same schools, Alabama included. UA has pressed hard for both, Tommy as a tackle and James as an interior lineman. I like UA’s chances at the moment. James recently caught up with BamaOnLine talking about a Zoom meeting the brothers had with new Crimson Tide director of performance David Ballou, someone James says checks all the boxes.

Adequate height and frame for interior O-line role, particularly at center. Fairly lean build and wears his weight well. Owns enough frame space to add needed bulk. Quick out of his stance and consistently initiates contact. Motor runs high. Block finisher who will take his target to the ground. Gets to second level well when required. Intelligent football player. Fairly quick-footed with requisite agility in pass protection. Comes from a family with outstanding football pedigree. Can improve initial punch power at point of attack. Shows encouraging functional athleticism on the field but can tighten up overall body control, particularly when engaged. Power Five-caliber offensive line prospect with ample experience snapping who could become high-major multi-year starter at center.

Kamar Wilcoxson, 4-star S, Bradenton (Fla) IMG Academy — Foggy

If Wilcoxson announced a commitment today I believe it would be Alabama. His recruitment has taken a few different turns over the course of the last couple years, so I’m sticking with “foggy” as it stands. I do think UA has been trending over the last couple of weeks after Ohio State held an edge. Wilcoxson has been in communication with Nick Saban and the Tide staff. In fact, he was close to committing to the Tide two summers ago before he joined Florida’s class. This will be one to closely monitor throughout the months to come.

“For me, I’m real big on honesty. I hate people lying to me,” he said. “And coach Saban, to me, is probably the realest coach you would be able to come in contact with. When we’re talking, he’s not telling me oh I think you’re the best thing walking. It’s him telling me what I need to improve on to be able to be successful in college. He’s telling me what his vision is for me but he’s not going to be one of those recruiters that kisses up to you just because he wants you, because he has plenty of All-Americans, plenty of first-round picks. He’s going to tell you what you need to do to get there straightforward and I respect him a lot for that.”

Versatile defensive back who could end up at corner or safety in college. Has a safety frame, shows a lot of range and does a nice job making plays sideline to sideline. Shows good ball skills, is a willing hitter and plays with a nice edge to his game. He has the athletic traits to play corner as well and shows both short area quickness, change of direction and long speed. His size and toughness is tailer made for press coverage and he plays with the kind of confidence and swagger you like to see in a corner. Where he ends up positionally will likely be determined by how much size he puts on but you love his versatility, skill set and ability to matchup with the big receivers in college football.

Sigh, without the chance to show an improved Texas team this season, opposite teams will negative recruit the hell out of the outlier games from last year.  I mean that's what I would do too, to keep pointing out at the OU game and the sacks.  We really need football season to make it this season

24 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Sigh, without the chance to show an improved Texas team this season, opposite teams will negative recruit the hell out of the outlier games from last year.  I mean that's what I would do too, to keep pointing out at the OU game and the sacks.  We really need football season to make it this season

yeah bud, so it’s a good thing that football will start on schedule in the fall.  

4 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

For any of yall who dont actually pay attention to news other than Surly. Several universities have already come out today saying full classes will begin in the fall. And I'm sure NCAA will allow practice before the advent of classes. 

There will be football. 

man, you and I are just on the same wavelength. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s great. Now take out 2 absurd outliers in Baylor and OU and do it. Just add the average of the test of the games and do it. Also what Burt said. Do you really think rolling up here with the analysis of Brian fucking Davis was going to serve you well? 

suck off Chip Brown’s sources next. 

How can you take out the 2 biggest conference games we had last season? Those two games are what forced Tom to fire most of his shitty staff and keep a few who have major question marks after 2/3 seasons here.

58 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

on the bright side if college football is cancelled we never have to recruit again

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Saban is a dick too. The difference is that Tom Herman sucks as a head coach. Can’t wait for Herman to be gone. 

5 hours ago, futureman said:

Screen shotted. I’ll wanna see the video lol

14 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

For any of yall who dont actually pay attention to news other than Surly. Several universities have already come out today saying full classes will begin in the fall. And I'm sure NCAA will allow practice before the advent of classes. 

There will be football. 

Oh well if the universities said it.