Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The scouts of the NFL are absolutely helping horsefuck us along this train of shit, no doubt. And while you know my feelings about Herman correspond more or less to what you've expressed here, those were Charlie Strong kids. Granted, Jones and Duv were also 5 star and borderline 5 star players. That's not a good look. 

Basically, Herman is going to have to put up or shut up this next draft. Worse than not developing those guys higher is going to be if 5 stars like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, and other high level talents fizzle out in the draft. That will be a death knell to recruiting kids, IMO. We need a couple first rounders this year to turn that message on its ass. Cosmi has a shot. Sterns needs a great year and to remain injury free. 

You can blame Herman for a lot of things, but not for Sterns and Foster being injury prone. Besides Sterns as an athleticism question that most highly drafted NFL safeties do not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Also, I agree,  Jackson isn’t happening anymore. I’m also okay with passing on Byrd for those same reasons.  Foster isn’t happening and the staff should honestly stop wasting their time.  His mother will disown him before allowing him to sign with Texas.  The Brocks are not coming to Texas.  They were all Clemson and then all Bama.  They have gone out of their way to say that they want other schools to recruit them.  They skipped out on our elite junior day.  They visited Bama twice in the spring and then proceeded to set up two official visits to them, one of them being the last visit before their imminent commitment date.  Also, daddy Brock can go fuck himself as well.  As much I hate Herman, the dad seems like a arrogant prick as well.  I’m petty as fuck and I would pull Luke’s scholarship out of spite.  He can go walkon at Bama and get a third rate degree from there.  Fuck them.

I would like a 2nd opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

You can blame Herman for a lot of things, but not for Sterns and Foster being injury prone. Besides Sterns as an athleticism question that most highly drafted NFL safeties do not.

When's the last time a safety who ran above a 4.6 was taken in the first? I honestly think Eagles or one of Green/Jamison has a higher chance of going first round than Sterns. 

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

Also, I agree,  Jackson isn’t happening anymore. I’m also okay with passing on Byrd for those same reasons.  Foster isn’t happening and the staff should honestly stop wasting their time.  His mother will disown him before allowing him to sign with Texas.  The Brocks are not coming to Texas.  They were all Clemson and then all Bama.  They have gone out of their way to say that they want other schools to recruit them.  They skipped out on our elite junior day.  They visited Bama twice in the spring and then proceeded to set up two official visits to them, one of them being the last visit before their imminent commitment date.  Also, daddy Brock can go fuck himself as well.  As much I hate Herman, the dad seems like a arrogant prick as well.  I’m petty as fuck and I would pull Luke’s scholarship out of spite.  He can go walkon at Bama and get a third rate degree from there.  Fuck them.

the dude your opinion GIF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

raw

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

So I guess an errbody secondary would be Bowman(nickel), Ibraheem(field), Harmon(boundary), Coffey, and Mukuba.

This would be, quite literally, the best result of an entirely in-state secondary class. Coffey or Nwokobia are probably interchangeable. Latrell McCutchin is this cycle's 5* Dwight. He'll be begging into Baylor by December.

Jaylin Smith (one of the more gettable California safeties) and Julien Simon Fong'd to SC. Arkansas insider CBs Ketron Jackson to woopig. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This would be, quite literally, the best result of an entirely in-state secondary class. Coffey or Nwokobia are probably interchangeable. Latrell McCutchin is this cycle's 5* Dwight. He'll be begging into Baylor by December.

Jaylin Smith (one of the more gettable California safeties) and Julien Simon Fong'd to SC. Arkansas insider CBs Ketron Jackson to woopig. 

Is Ceyair Wright still a legit possibility?  Think one of the $9.95ers said Jamier Johnson from California was possible.  And the CB from Florida visited right before the shutdown.

Yeah. We are all expecting that. Additionally, we'll see where draft people project him if he does. If we hear "He's going to have to test well" even if he puts up 16 sacks, and looks dominant, well, you know that's the Big 12 holding his projection down. 

To be fair, typically all first rounders have to test well.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Ceyair Wright still a legit possibility?  Think one of the $9.95ers said Jamier Johnson from California was possible.  And the CB from Florida visited right before the shutdown.

Omarion Cooper. 

I mean, I'm sure they're all still gettable to an extent. But, if the best version of an in-state class wants to commit, I think you take all of them. Then if you can still get Ceyair Wright you make space. He can take Wheaton's spot when Drayton inevitably whiffs 

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

When's the last time a safety who ran above a 4.6 was taken in the first? I honestly think Eagles or one of Green/Jamison has a higher chance of going first round than Sterns. 

Keanu Neal, 2016

Safeties don't get drafted often in the first round, only ten in the past five draft 

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

I think Kenny Vaccaro ran worse than a 4.6 and was a 1st round pick

And he never played like a 1st rounder. He's not the guy you point to as a reason for GMs to draft 4.6+ safeties. He's had a fine career. But I'd bet most Saints fans consider him a disappointment.

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The scouts of the NFL are absolutely helping horsefuck us along this train of shit, no doubt. And while you know my feelings about Herman correspond more or less to what you've expressed here, those were Charlie Strong kids. Granted, Jones and Duv were also 5 star and borderline 5 star players. That's not a good look. 

Basically, Herman is going to have to put up or shut up this next draft. Worse than not developing those guys higher is going to be if 5 stars like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, and other high level talents fizzle out in the draft. That will be a death knell to recruiting kids, IMO. We need a couple first rounders this year to turn that message on its ass. Cosmi has a shot. Sterns needs a great year and to remain injury free. 

Think that if Jones and Dev do well in the NFL (doesn't help if there's no season) then that would help recruiting since maybe scouts would start giving Texas players more consideration.  Apparently trucking Delpit doesn't account for much.  I don't think our offensive and defensive game plans helped these two players.  I would imagine that this is also the last assistant coaching reset for Herman. Future resets will include Herman.   

24 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sterns is a big hitter but has poor coverage skills and gives up way too many big plays where some dude runs right by him for a wide open TD. 

When Sterns was healthy his FR year he had the top "forced incompletion %" in the Big 12 at safety. This takes all of two seconds to research. 

• Like 1

Mike at night:

—For those worried about if Jalen Milroe has been looking around, I was told he was once again pivotal in the latest Texas commit Landen King’s recruitment. Milroe has been pushing behind the scenes, and his effort combined with the Texas staff’s pursuit helped to slam the door. Believe it or not, recruits do read these boards and they’ve had a good laugh at some of the panic over Milroe and Bowman.

—The Texas commits are trying to build on some of that momentum already. They’ve been working on several guys, and I’m told Jalen Milroe has been in contact with JD Coffey and Deuce Harmon. Over the last few days. Derrick Harris has been reaching out to several defensive targets as well including Jaydon Williams and Jordon Thomas. Both have been in contact with LJ Johnson behind the scenes, and I’m told Milroe is trying to work more on finding offensive prospects to work on.

—I checked in with a source near South Oak Cliff linebacker Jaydon Williams today, and as we near his decision on Friday, it sounds like Texas is still in position to grab another commitment. Still, Arizona State remains a concern while SMU and Kansas are trying everything possible to slow Williams down. We will keep monitoring all the way to Friday.

Landon Jackson made his commitment to LSU over the weekend. Jackson was the second big target on the Texas board that chose the Tigers following Aledo WR JoJo Earle. The LSU staff used the NFL Draft weekend to turn up the heat on several targets. Perhaps Jackson will still take some visits once he’s able to, but for now, selling a national title and a major weekend in the NFL draft is incredibly effective.

—It sounds like things are still up in the air with Pflugerville Connally cornerback and Baylor signee Jahdae Barron. As of this point, he has not received his official release. The NCAA allows for a window of time to grant the release and it can be pushed as far as it needs to in order to make the process difficult within that window. I continue to hear that this could move quickly once he’s received clearance and sources expect him to end up at Texas if everything goes according to plan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Think that if Jones and Dev do well in the NFL (doesn't help if there's no season) then that would help recruiting since maybe scouts would start giving Texas players more consideration.  Apparently trucking Delpit doesn't account for much.  I don't think our offensive and defensive game plans helped these two players.  I would imagine that this is also the last assistant coaching reset for Herman. Future resets will include Herman.   

What pushed Duvernay down draft boards was a late breakout age. Also, a lot of his catches were at or near the LOS. 

14 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

I think Kenny Vaccaro ran worse than a 4.6 and was a 1st round pick

ran a 4.63 looks like

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kenny-vaccaro?id=2539320

then evidently had a hip flexor injury that kept him from running a 40 at his pro day: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/26/4149672/texas-pro-day-results-kenny-vaccaro-marquise-goodwin-alex-okafor

Edited by NoName