Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike at Night: 

Spoiler

—Texas landed a graduate transfer commitment from Tarik Black earlier today. I checked around to see what I could find out about Black. Everyone I talked to spoke highly of Black’s character and work ethic, but he’s had some foot issues that stymied his productivity at Michigan. I was told Black is known as a strong route runner with great hands, and he could be a reliable security blanket for Sam Ehlinger on the outside as long as he stays healthy.

—We’ve been talking about the possibility of this news for a bit. Black always let Texas know that they were his number one option, and he would be in Austin if everything went according to plan. One big factor was a rule change recently made in college football. Before this year, a hopeful graduate transfer would need to be admitted to a graduate program not offered at his current institution. A recent change allowed graduate transfers to pursue more undergraduate studies, and that rule change was a big domino in Black’s process.

—We are three days out from South Oak Cliff linebacker Jaydon Williams’ announced commitment, and things are starting to appear a bit shaky. Williams has gone virtually silent in preparation for Friday’s announcement, and sources near him aren’t totally sure where his head is at this moment. A recent offer from Oklahoma and interest from other big programs could push his commitment back, and I’m told that Texas wouldn’t necessarily hate that. After offering initially, Texas received overwhelming feedback from Williams calling them a dream school and making indications that they were the leader without visiting. Nothing has turned, but I’m told Williams has been a bit more dodgy in his communications, and now several programs don’t know where they stand. What looked like an easy recruitment initially is starting to worry some people. Maybe it’s a smokescreen, but it’s something I’m definitely watching.

—I’m not ready to call them the leader, but I think Texas is rapidly closing the gap with Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon. Sources near the four-star cornerback tell me that the Aggies still hold a lead, but Texas is hard charging. I wrote a few weeks ago that schools would need to be all in with their recruitment, and right now Texas is doing that. The longer this plays out, the better it is for the Longhorns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

That is right. You have to miss 2 years because of injury, but 2018 was the 1st year of 4 games and under to RS, and he played 3. So he should be a RSJr.

Your constant determination to be wrong about pretty much everything is truly impressive. He played 6 games in 2018, so he didn’t redshirt that year.

He only has to miss one year due to injury and since there was no 4 game RS rule in 2017, his FR year doesn’t count as a rs until he applies for a medical redshirt after exhausting his 4 years of eligibility. He’s technically a senior but will almost definitely be granted a 5th year after 2020 if he wants it. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Think Jaydon Williams is stirring up suspense 

4 hours ago, westexhorn said:

This kid bleeds burnt orange, I think it is for suspense.

That would seem out of character for this kid, at least to date. Hope you’re right, but as we’ve all seen, Tom Herman can literally turn a commitment into signing day victories for LSU and Penn State, to date. I’m not sure why anyone doesnt think Antonio Pearce can’t show up and flex as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dummy said:

Mike at Night: 

Hide contents

—Texas landed a graduate transfer commitment from Tarik Black earlier today. I checked around to see what I could find out about Black. Everyone I talked to spoke highly of Black’s character and work ethic, but he’s had some foot issues that stymied his productivity at Michigan. I was told Black is known as a strong route runner with great hands, and he could be a reliable security blanket for Sam Ehlinger on the outside as long as he stays healthy.

—We’ve been talking about the possibility of this news for a bit. Black always let Texas know that they were his number one option, and he would be in Austin if everything went according to plan. One big factor was a rule change recently made in college football. Before this year, a hopeful graduate transfer would need to be admitted to a graduate program not offered at his current institution. A recent change allowed graduate transfers to pursue more undergraduate studies, and that rule change was a big domino in Black’s process.

—We are three days out from South Oak Cliff linebacker Jaydon Williams’ announced commitment, and things are starting to appear a bit shaky. Williams has gone virtually silent in preparation for Friday’s announcement, and sources near him aren’t totally sure where his head is at this moment. A recent offer from Oklahoma and interest from other big programs could push his commitment back, and I’m told that Texas wouldn’t necessarily hate that. After offering initially, Texas received overwhelming feedback from Williams calling them a dream school and making indications that they were the leader without visiting. Nothing has turned, but I’m told Williams has been a bit more dodgy in his communications, and now several programs don’t know where they stand. What looked like an easy recruitment initially is starting to worry some people. Maybe it’s a smokescreen, but it’s something I’m definitely watching.

—I’m not ready to call them the leader, but I think Texas is rapidly closing the gap with Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon. Sources near the four-star cornerback tell me that the Aggies still hold a lead, but Texas is hard charging. I wrote a few weeks ago that schools would need to be all in with their recruitment, and right now Texas is doing that. The longer this plays out, the better it is for the Longhorns.

Going to be hilarious if Deuce Harmon ends up at Texas.  Aggy has had this kid penciled in for a good while now.  Probably as confident as any recruit they are after.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Going to be hilarious if Deuce Harmon ends up at Texas.  Aggy has had this kid penciled in for a good while now.  Probably as confident as any recruit they are after.

The whole thing about Texas needing to make up ground pushed by the 9.95ers wasn't overblown initially, but for the last week they've really been pushing that narrative when it wasn't true anymore, either to drive suspense or because they didn't bother to check in and update that info for themselves. That's not to say he won't end up at another school, but Texas has been in a good standing for a while, it didn't take long after the offer to get him to come around.

Edited by Bam Bam Sam
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ha. Actually I’d say hes #3 behind Jackson and Foster. Because from the outside you can’t understand it, but from the inside you can’t explain it. 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Valai his trainer for a long time

From that Roach column last night - this seems like a big deal and I don't remember it being discussed.  This could be significant for Grad transfers going forward, no?

One big factor was a rule change recently made in college football. Before this year, a hopeful graduate transfer would need to be admitted to a graduate program not offered at his current institution. A recent change allowed graduate transfers to pursue more undergraduate studies, and that rule change was a big domino in Black’s process

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He's the recruit whose sister committed to play for Vic Schaefer, right? That can only help.

Edited by UDontKnow

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From that Roach column last night - this seems like a big deal and I don't remember it being discussed.  This could be significant for Grad transfers going forward, no?

First I heard of it was actually for a softball transfer we just got...Ole Miss pitcher, had the choice of going to OT school in Iowa or taking more undergraduate studies at Texas in order to play a grad transfer year at Texas. I don't know how that process works though....do you have to declare a major and get accepted to a certain school? Some sort of general admission in order to take any classes she wants? (Think about someone who graduates, but then transfers schools in order to take 1-2 classes needed as prerequisites for some late career track change)

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That may actually be a better spot for him than a pure Safety.

Maybe, but I don’t think he has the coverage skills to hold up at nickel. Since Ash plays so much quarters, you don’t need a shut down man CB at Nickel, but you need the nickel to be good enough in coverage that the defense has to respect your ability to play man free. If they know you’re nickel can’t hold up, then the quarters scheme is much easier to exploit. I struggle to see Coffey being good enough in coverage to not be a huge mismatch against most opponents. 

a friend of mine sent me a youtube of a RJ young video.. Couldn't listen to it for long.. he and a guest (drumm maybe) were giggling about how Texas is getting owned in their own state.. because ...get this.. SC and Helton are owning the state..because that's what the guest (drumm?) is saying from some Houston kids.

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

a friend of mine sent me a youtube of a RJ young video.. Couldn't listen to it for long.. he and a guest (drumm maybe) were giggling about how Texas is getting owned in their own state.. because ...get this.. SC and Helton are owning the state..because that's what the guest (drumm?) is saying from some Houston kids.

Sooo they talked to Brandon Campbell, who's salty all his regional offers are uncommitable?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Sooo they talked to Brandon Campbell, who's salty all his regional offers are uncommitable?

They really tried to use Graham Harrell, Todd Orlando and Naivar as the reasons why they are "out recruiting TX in TX"..  Yeah I stopped after that.  Told him to not send me anymore links to that asshat.. I already have to deal with Stanco, Sataya, Nueces, etc here on the board.. no need to hear the same shit from an ou puppet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

guessing it is this?

http://twitter.com/RJ_Young/status/1254830711019843586 - like the first 8 min

it is actually quite funny,..no, really. it is.  

• 2 theories on USC (coming in Texas) 1) Todd Orlando and 2) Graham Harrell (air raid coordinator, Herman wanted him) 
  • idea Texas can't keep guys in state - gives tOSU one. 
  • "the fact that Zach Evans isnt going to Texas or A&M speaks volumes for me"
  • talks about Tunmise Adeleye going to tOSU 
  • "what would it be like if Baylor was able to get into these same confo as USC" and same for TCU
  • "is Texas (the state) loyal to the state of Texas?" - why can't yall keep them in state? what gives? why doesn't Houston get these kids
  • "the idea of Clay Helton being able to show up in your backyard coming off an ok season and fleece you, i didn't think it was possible"
  • "i'm not sure if that's Tom Herman's fault or not - but who else am I going to throw under the bus?"
  • guest: "i hear a ton about mississippi state in Texas" (wonder why you dumb fuck - who is the coach? what system does he run? when was he here?)
  • guest: "you look at the group of 5 schools in Texas and they are blowing the power 5 out of the water - UNT, SMU, UTSA is on fire right now - they are a walking flamethrower"
  • guest: "for some reason those power 5's don't have the same draw"
  • guest: "it sounds very much like SMU, UNT, UTSA are going to become driving forces right now over some of these other power 5 programs we are talking about"

side note, he is a fucking moron.

i mean they currently have 1 current commit from TX - Brandon Campbell from Katy who is #49 in the state

2 last year - Courtland Ford, who was #90 in the State last year and Casey Collier, which isn't a name I have ever heard before - probably because he is #130 in the State

2019 - Dorian Hewitt from North Shore (3*, #191 in State)

2018 - 0 from TX

2017 - Levi Jones, #13 in State, #93 overall - we know his story

2016 - 0 from TX

...then again he also evidently has a video out about how Urban Meyer underachieved at tOSU (won his division 7 years in a row, finished as a top 6 team 5 years in a row, never had a team outside of #12, won a National Championship, won 90.2% of his games there, beat Michigan 7x in a row, etc) so he is either a moron or doesn't know shit. 

so just to be clear, in the last 5 years, USC has pulled 1 top 90 player from the State of Texas - Levi Jones. 

currently, they have 1 commit - let's not count Quay Davis  in anyones class until the ink is dry. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

guessing it is this?

http://twitter.com/RJ_Young/status/1254830711019843586 - like the first 8 min

it is actually quite funny,..no, really. it is.  

• 2 theories on USC (coming in Texas) 1) Todd Orlando and 2) Graham Harrell (air raid coordinator, Herman wanted him) 
  • idea Texas can't keep guys in state - gives tOSU one. 
  • "the fact that Zach Evans isnt going to Texas or A&M speaks volumes for me"
  • talks about Tunmise Adeleye going to tOSU 
  • "what would it be like if Baylor was able to get into these same confo as USC" and same for TCU
  • "is Texas (the state) loyal to the state of Texas?" - why can't yall keep them in state? what gives? why doesn't Houston get these kids
  • "the idea of Clay Helton being able to show up in your backyard coming off an ok season and fleece you, i didn't think it was possible"
  • "i'm not sure if that's Tom Herman's fault or not - but who else am I going to throw under the bus?"
  • guest: "i hear a ton about mississippi state in Texas" (wonder why you dumb fuck - who is the coach? what system does he run? when was he here?)
  • guest: "you look at the group of 5 schools in Texas and they are blowing the power 5 out of the water - UNT, SMU, UTSA is on fire right now - they are a walking flamethrower"
  • guest: "for some reason those power 5's don't have the same draw"
  • guest: "it sounds very much like SMU, UNT, UTSA are going to become driving forces right now over some of these other power 5 programs we are talking about"

side note, he is a fucking moron.

i mean they currently have 1 current commit from TX - Brandon Campbell from Katy who is #49 in the state

2 last year - Courtland Ford, who was #90 in the State last year and Casey Collier, which isn't a name I have ever heard before - probably because he is #130 in the State

2019 - Dorian Hewitt from North Shore (3*, #191 in State)

2018 - 0 from TX

2017 - Levi Jones, #13 in State, #93 overall - we know his story

2016 - 0 from TX

...then again he also evidently has a video out about how Urban Meyer underachieved at tOSU (won his division 7 years in a row, finished as a top 6 team 5 years in a row, never had a team outside of #12, won a National Championship, won 90.2% of his games there, beat Michigan 7x in a row, etc) so he is either a moron or doesn't know shit. 

so just to be clear, in the last 5 years, USC has pulled 1 top 90 player from the State of Texas - Levi Jones. 

currently, they have 1 commit - let's not count Quay Davis  in anyones class until the ink is dry. 

It's even worse reading it than him saying it. Didn't the video say something about Lincoln vs Day as a rivalry?  Like jesus man really? How is that a rivalry?

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

To follow up this, Roach quote tweeted the eye emoji then had this to say on the 247 board

"There are some things in the work but nothing imminent I know of. I’ve heard that Landen has been working behind the scenes though."

• Like 1

247 / Brian Dohn / OT Tristan Bounds discusses schools showing high interest

Spoiler

OT Tristan Bounds discusses schools showing high interest
By BRIAN DOHN 

Tristan Bounds has a late June official set for Michigan, and it remains on his schedule, albeit tenuously.

The Wallingford (Conn.) Choate offensive tackle was also planning a Virginia official visit in the spring, and there were several unofficial visits on tap for March, but those were all cancelled so his schedule is yet to be determined.

“During the beginning of the quarantine, I scheduled one (official visit) to Michigan,” Bounds said. “Previously, on my visit to Virginia in early March, I had told them I was taking an official but I hadn’t scheduled it, although it would have probably been in the spring.

“I hear a lot from Texas, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Boston College. There are a ton of them.”

The 6-foot-7 ½, 285-pound Bounds plays at a boarding school in Connecticut, but he is from Alexandria, Va., and the closest school, Virginia, could benefit from it.

“Being close to home is big for me,” Bounds said. “Family is important, so it’s within two-and-a-half hours, and my parents could come to every home game. That’s important. I love the culture, UVA is a program on the rise, and that is due to the culture they’ve created, especially coach (Bronco) Mendenhall.

“Obviously, academics speak for themselves at the University of Virginia.”

However, distance is not a deal breaker for Bounds, which is why schools like Michigan and Texas are heavily involved. He is slated to officially visit Michigan from June 19-21.

“I really like (offensive line) coach (Ed) Warinner,” Bounds said. “I like coach (Jim) Harbaugh. It’s a great academic place. Their business school, which is what I plan on studying, is one of the best in the country. And then the football speaks for itself, and the culture they established there.”

Bounds also paid close attention to Michigan’s success with offensive linemen in the NFL draft last week.

“They had four guys go in the draft, which is unheard of,” he said. “I believe I have an NFL frame, definitely an NFL work ethic, so (Bounds is) definitely (looking for) somewhere that can develop me technique wise, and in the weight room to help me get the strength that I need.”

Although Texas recently moved in with an offer, offensive line coach Herb Hand has been in contact with Bounds for months. He is now trying to learn more about the school.

“I’ve been in contact with him since the end of February, beginning of March,” Bounds said. “Their plan was to come and see me before they offered me, but with everything that has been going on, that’s not really possible so I put together some (workout) stuff and sent out a little bit of film so they got to see what they would have seen (in person).

“I’ve developed a relationship with him over the past few months and they ended up offering me.”

Virginia Tech offensive line coach Vance Vice has connected well with Bounds, who was born in Blacksburg, Va. His mom was a sports psychologist at Virginia Tech at the time.

“I built a really good relationship with coach Vice as well as (assistant) coach (Adam) Lechtenberg, coach (Justin) Fuente,” Bounds said. “I am in contact with those three pretty often. I think the reason people like him so much is he’s just super down-to-earth. He’s a straight shooter. He is not trying to sell you anything that is not tangible, not real. That’s why I like him.

“A lot of times when we are on the phone, we won’t even talk about football. I think that's why guys are so high on him.”

Not only is Bounds’ visit schedule up in the air, so is when he will make a decision. If visits are allowed in the summer, it could keep him on pace to make one in the next few months.

“If that were to happen, I would preferably have the decision done before the season,” Bounds said. “That’s my goal. If I can take five official visits before the season starts, I will be done before then. If not, I am not sure whether I will make a decision before taking as many visits as I would like, or if I will just push it to after the season and sign in the December or February period.”

Roach's comments on Williams as of a few hours ago

"I checked in again today with sources near South Oak Cliff linebacker Jaydon Williams. As his decision nears on Friday, the outlook of what he might do is becoming less clear by the day. A college source I spoke with last night indicated Arizona State made a big move this week. The Sun Devils have a long relationship with Williams, and they've been pushing him hard. A source near Williams told me Wednesday, "I don't know where his head is at right now. It's all over the place." It's clear Williams is struggling with the decision between a school in Texas that he's liked for so long and a program in Arizona State where he's forged strong relationships. Should be a bit of a ride all the way up until Friday."