Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

At this point, we should just push for this kid hard, although is he going to go all Fatheree on whoever signs him?

Part of my issue with Fatheree is that along with being really tall, he also kind of sucks. At least Jonah is pretty damn good now. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

Part of my issue with Fatheree is that along with being really tall, he also kind of sucks. At least Jonah is pretty damn good now. 

I think Jonah plays Guard in his highlights.  Bram Walden is more of a Tackle.  We should be pushing for both with the way things are trending now with the in-state guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think Jonah plays Guard in his highlights.  Bram Walden is more of a Tackle.  We should be pushing for both with the way things are trending now with the in-state guys.

Right. Jonah is a badass guard right now, but you'd hope that he can play tackle; it's unclear. 

Fatheree gets his ass kicked regularly, does a lot of ball watching, doesn't play through the whistle, and appears to be becoming less athletic over time. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Smith is an absolute stud. He and Thomas aren’t the same kind of player, but I’d definitely have him over Thomas. He won’t have trouble getting up to 250 and his ceiling as a pass rusher is off the charts. He’s an absolute must get, especially now that we missed in Jackson

I think of Smith as a slightly less talented Kindle clone.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fud said:

Right. Jonah is a badass guard right now, but you'd hope that he can play tackle; it's unclear. 

Fatheree gets his ass kicked regularly, does a lot of ball watching, doesn't play through the whistle, and appears to be becoming less athletic over time. 

Yep. Fatheree seems to be getting less and less flexible, and he plays unbelievably high and then bends at the waste when guys get to the edge on him. He was always thought to be a high ceiling low floor guy, but he’s seeming more and more like a bust candidate IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Fatheree seems to be getting less and less flexible, and he plays unbelievably high and then bends at the waste when guys get to the edge on him. He was always thought to be a high ceiling low floor guy, but he’s seeming more and more like a bust candidate IMO. 

He's turning into a guy you hope you can make 350+ pounds so that he just takes up room and is difficult to get around because he's so long, and is heavy enough to where he's able to anchor despite playing so high, ala Orlando Brown 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

He's turning into a guy you hope you can make 350+ pounds so that he just takes up room and is difficult to get around because he's so long, and is heavy enough to where he's able to anchor despite playing so high, ala Orlando Brown 

Yeah. He could get there in the passing game, but I don’t see the lower body explosiveness or flexibility for him to be a force in the running game. If you’re gonna have a guy like that, he needs to be an absolute force in the running game. I struggle to see it with Fatheree. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

How's he behind the wheel? Or on the stairs?

hopefully better.

i have a little inside information on Smith as his dad is good friends with one of my friends. from what i hear, he is supposed to be a really great kid. i will see if i can find out how serious he is about the Horns. he was this >< close to coming to LT for his last two seasons... 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Okies will take him and put him at tackle at that weight where he’ll bear hug rushers every play and not get called for it until the playoffs 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BruceVonClaude said:

Prediction: Fatheree will commit to aggy and then proceed to Branard Wright his way down the rankings.  Satya will say this huge miss and we should shut the football team down.  Sydney will pull up some obscure post and laugh at him for being high on Fatheree.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Branard-Wright-100603/RecruitInterests/

This is still amazing to see.

2 hours ago, BruceVonClaude said:

Prediction: Fatheree will commit to aggy and then proceed to Branard Wright his way down the rankings.  Satya will say this huge miss and we should shut the football team down.  Sydney will pull up some obscure post and laugh at him for being high on Fatheree.

409au5.gif

3 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Figured that was coming, a couple of the coaches have been following him for a bit.

https://247sports.com/Player/Prince-Kollie-46083303/

The other one I noticed with a similar bunch of follows:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalon-Williams-46085246/

Edited by texifornia

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

SIAP but Blake Brockermeyer got furloughed...maybe an analyst position at his alma mater could be beneficial for all parties...Herman retweeted it

Texas wouldn't be able to recruit his kids if he's hired to a non-recruiting assistant position 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas wouldn't be able to recruit his kids if he's hired to a non-recruiting assistant position 

I know the rule about coaches....if you hire a high school coach to a non assistant position, you can't recruit his team's players for two years.  Does that apply for parents as well?

6 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I know the rule about coaches....if you hire a high school coach to a non assistant position, you can't recruit his team's players for two years.  Does that apply for parents as well?

Yes. That’s the reason the rule is in place 

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe they’ll furlough Samples, too.  Or if not, at the very least can we negative recruit SMU to Savion Byrd by pointing out how, you know, the Brockermeyer kids are looking at every school in the country except SMU even though their dad is a coach at SMU? 

Per "Fuck Chip Brown's" article, Andre Coleman is the only Texas assistant with a 1yr contract...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't remember him being mentioned here, but the hudl guys / mods at IT like this WR; JJ Henry. They said Coleman has been in touch with him. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6878628/5de41bc03df4a60cf8e555e4

https://247sports.com/player/jj-henry-46094146/

From my neck of the woods. JJ is really good and deserves to be in the top group of receivers in state, but got overshadowed by guys like JSN and Mims last year. He’s a bit on the smaller side but watch the highlights he has speed for days. He broke all of McKinney North’s receiving records last year.  Offers from FSU, TCU, Baylor, Ole Miss and SMU. 

Go to the 5 min. mark on the HUDL highlights to see him go against Kitan Crawford. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From my neck of the woods. JJ is really good and deserves to be in the top group of receivers in state, but got overshadowed by guys like JSN and Mims last year. He’s a bit on the smaller side but watch the highlights he has speed for days. He broke all of McKinney North’s receiving records last year.  Offers from FSU, TCU, Baylor, Ole Miss and SMU. 

Go to the 5 min. mark on the HUDL highlights to see him go against Kitan Crawford. 

He's a baller. I don't think he's quite as explosive as a Waddle/JoJo, but he runs great routes and makes great hands catches, and is explosive enough to hit home runs. Wins deep and intermediate really well for a smaller kid. I'd think about taking him, and then leaving a spot open for JoJo if he wants in. 

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Bad QB play holding him down, too

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Despite their best efforts, Anwar is reporting that Leitao will remain on the roster as a Jack linebacker in the fall.

Likely a grad-transfer candidate after 2020 season??  He's currently studying Neuroscience and is a redshirt junior...

From Leitao's Bio on Texassports.com:

A fourth-year two-way player who has competed in 27 career games  ... converted to defensive line in 2020 after playing tight end for his first two seasons at UT … was also two-way player at Jenks High School … was an All-State honoree as a tight end (Tulsa World) and defensive lineman (The Oklahoman) … was the District 6A-1 Division 1 Player of the Year as a senior … member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall 2017) … earned Academic All-Big 12 honors in 2019.

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Likely a grad-transfer candidate after 2020 season??  He's currently studying Neuroscience and is a redshirt junior...

A fourth-year two-way player who has competed in 27 career games  ... converted to defensive line in 2020 after playing tight end for his first two seasons at UT … was also two-way player at Jenks High School … was an All-State honoree as a tight end (Tulsa World) and defensive lineman (The Oklahoman) … was the District 6A-1 Division 1 Player of the Year as a senior … member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall 2017) … earned Academic All-Big 12 honors in 2019.

I would've guessed pharmacology.

Kinda funny that our coaches liked this dude so much that they were willing to take a good PR hit to get him into the program and now he's just taking up a scholarship.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe stop recruiting from Jenks?

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I would've guessed pharmacology.

Kinda funny that our coaches liked this dude so much that they were willing to take a good PR hit to get him into the program and now he's just taking up a scholarship.

Perhaps everyone misunderstood his intent back then. It could have been clinical trials ...

• Like 1