Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

17 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Can you imagine that 2005 squad w/ him and Mike Williams?  Leinart would've had to retire from football.

Williams was Von Miller.  Ugh.  Him losing his head still bothers me.  He should have been a guy that was an all American once or twice and a minimum of $50 million in NFL earnings.  

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Williams was Von Miller.  Ugh.  Him losing his head still bothers me.  He should have been a guy that was an all American once or twice and a minimum of $50 million in NFL earnings.  

Which Mike Williams was that? Before my time and there've been two other Texas football Mike Williams (another of which was also a disappointing defensive linemen).

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I remember googling him in the past and finding absolutely nothing other than his rivals profile and very brief UT stuff.  it was like he was a ghost.  but just now found an article from 2005 that I’d never seen before about him declaring for the draft after playing at Texas College. 

https://www.kltv.com/story/4256147/texas-college-player-declares-for-nfl-draft/

and another page that says he apparently owns a vet clinic now in lindale.  this shows his birthday as 2/19/84 and some of his football pages have his birthday as 2/9/84 so I’m assuming it’s the same Michael Williams. 

https://www.mylife.com/michael-williams/e1966262242596

Edited by futureman
  • Like 2

Williams was part of the 2002 class.  He played part time as a rush end in 2003 as a 19 year old and had 6 sacks in that limited time.  Think he had a strip sack and 40 yard TD return against Baylor. He was a freak athlete.  Many of us who followed recruiting back then thought he was, next to VY, perhaps the best athlete in that class.  Which was stacked with freaks.  He lost his head over a chick and bugged out.

He was a special talent.

He was from Lindale.  So great for him getting squared away.

Here are his stats from Texas:

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/03/teamcume.htm

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Williams was part of the 2002 class.  He played part time as a rush end in 2003 as a 19 year old and had 6 sacks in that limited time.  Think he had a strip sack and 40 yard TD return against Baylor. He was a freak athlete.  Many of us who followed recruiting back then thought he was, next to VY, perhaps the best athlete in that class.  Which was stacked with freaks.  He lost his head over a chick and bugged out.

He was a special talent.

He was from Lindale.  So great for him getting squared away.

Here are his stats from Texas:

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/03/teamcume.htm

Like quit the team and went home or something?

Just now, texifornia said:

Like quit the team and went home or something?

That was my recollection.  Or stopped going to class and got kicked out.  He was a smart guy.  It wasn't lack of intelligence.  The consensus was it was he was heart broken over a chick and left.

He was a badass and was expected to take a huge jump as a DE/edge guy in 2004 after he was second on the team in sacks with 6 in 2003 just playing part time.  We were thin at DE.  Pickryl medically retired.  Dibbles fattened up.  Upperclassmen Thornton gone.  We had to play true soph Tm Crowder and move Robison from linebacker just to have starters.  No depth.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I would've guessed pharmacology.

Kinda funny that our coaches liked this dude so much that they were willing to take a good PR hit to get him into the program and now he's just taking up a scholarship.

Yeah, I wish I could've let him know you can learn about the benzodiazepine receptors without keeping a supply of alprazolam tablets on hand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

not if you ever watched a game.... I saw CC get gashed on the ground twice in the last 2 yrs..... in 2018 a team with a 180 pound center and a couple of 210 pound guards absolutely owned the LOS to the tune of about 350 yrds against Carter...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rholl said:

not if you ever watched a game.... I saw CC get gashed on the ground twice in the last 2 yrs..... in 2018 a team with a 180 pound center and a couple of 210 pound guards absolutely owned the LOS to the tune of about 350 yrds against Carter...

kinda shocked he didn't accept that offer to play for saban in tuscaloosa.

3290-F962-0-FFC-4-C47-8-BCE-A14-E1-A7-EB

can play DE or DT, with that size and athleticism, can’t believe he isn’t a 5-star

Edited by futureman

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Texas making moves with in-state prospects?

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Texas making moves with in-state prospects?

MikeRoach

—Four-star Texarkana (Texas) Texas High edge rusher Clayton Smith is cutting his list of top schools on Sunday to six, and I expect the Longhorns to make it. I caught up with Smith earlier this week to chat about his recruitment, and Texas is doing an excellent job with him. Smith said that Oscar Giles is doing a fantastic job in this recruitment, and he mentioned that Giles presented the vision for how he could be used in the defense in the clearest way possible. I expect Texas to be in this race until the end and still feel confident with the Texas pick I have in for him.

—I heard today that four-star Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon may be trimming his list a bit. It’s not a drastic cut, but I’m told the family informed several schools they were no longer under consideration. I was also told Texas would be included in the new group of schools as he continues to whittle down finalists. I think Texas is doing as strong of a job as they can in this one, but I still feel A&M holds the lead with Oregon as a darkhorse.

—I caught a training session for four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey today and spoke to him about his recruitment. Coffey seems like he could be close to making his decision, but he also wants the opportunity to take his visits. If there’s a chance visits can be taken this summer, Coffey will likely wait. If he finds out that there will be no summer visits (which is something we’re hearing) it’s likely he commits within the next month. Texas, LSU and Oregon are the three in the mix for him right now from what I know.

—I continue to hear back and forth intel when I check with sources near The Woodlands wide receiver Theodore Knox. At times it sounds like Mississippi State is the runaway leader in this recruitment, and at times it seems that Texas is making moves behind the scenes. Even those around Knox seem unsure of what he’s going to do. Texas is working their tails off in this recruitment, and I’m told Knox has been connecting with Mike Yurcich and Andre Coleman.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

kinda shocked he didn't accept that offer to play for saban in tuscaloosa.

3290-F962-0-FFC-4-C47-8-BCE-A14-E1-A7-EB

can play DE or DT, with that size and athleticism, can’t believe he isn’t a 5-star

Assuming those numbers don't check out? Even if he played JV ball some P5 school would've taken a flyer on the measurables.

Edited by Bevo14

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

That was my recollection.  Or stopped going to class and got kicked out.  He was a smart guy.  It wasn't lack of intelligence.  The consensus was it was he was heart broken over a chick and left.

He was a badass and was expected to take a huge jump as a DE/edge guy in 2004 after he was second on the team in sacks with 6 in 2003 just playing part time.  We were thin at DE.  Pickryl medically retired.  Dibbles fattened up.  Upperclassmen Thornton gone.  We had to play true soph Tm Crowder and move Robison from linebacker just to have starters.  No depth.

I thought Malcolm Williams was the one who left over a girl.  All I remember about Mike was that he flunked out.  But, IIRC, he had 4.0 in HS so I always thought it was odd that he failed out.  Your story is probably correct.  That really sucks.  That guy and Pick would’ve been SICK!

Edited by Fondren & Main

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Should be interesting.  Sure we'll get plenty wtf reactions.  You'd think guys like King and Cooks get a rankings increase.

Would love for Rivals to pimp King while slapping Garza, causing the two to go in the opposite directions. The aggy reactions a few weeks after each committed would be golden.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Would love for Rivals to pimp King while slapping Garza, causing the two to go in the opposite directions. The aggy reactions a few weeks after each committed would be golden.

King is rated higher than Garza on all 3 services but Garza has the higher composite.  Doesn't really make sense.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Eliminated tech, rapelor, okie lite, and mississippi aggy. 

Interesting that sc is hanging around. Oregon is perceived to be the dark horse behind Texas and aggy

He does seem to have actually built it by how much he likes the team - the top four on the edit are the real contenders, and the top-left is his perceived leader.