Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hadn't heard Alexis' name in a while. The purely alphabetical top offers list is pretty funny on his 247 page: https://247sports.com/player/jaden-alexis-46085256/

His dad played for UDub and bounced around the NFL for a couple years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Alexis

Alabama A&M and Bethune-Cookman are surging in this recruitment

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hadn't heard Alexis' name in a while. The purely alphabetical top offers list is pretty funny on his 247 page: https://247sports.com/player/jaden-alexis-46085256/

His dad played for UDub and bounced around the NFL for a couple years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Alexis

Alexis Texas would really add to our long route game

19 hours ago, Newy25 said:

WTF is going on with Alabama?

they have 4 commits, with an average of 94.15 - which even with the small # of commits, is 4th highest in the country

Auburn is 50 (4 commits), Bama is 48 (4) in composite, OU is 47 (5)

it will all work out long term for all 3 of those guys - for comparison Tenn is #2 in the country with 21 (!!!!!!!) commits, tOSU is #1 with 17

it's going to be interesting to see what style of recruiting works out - fill class early (Tenn/tOSU) or waiting because i assume you have smaller class sizes (Bama/Auburn) 

39 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

We will not make the CFP with Tom Herman at the helm.  Therefore he is a fraud. 

Excellent take.  I'm interested in subscribing to your newsletter.

You should check out this link.  I think you'll find it is a very progressive and welcoming community of like minded individuals who would appreciate your spicy takes.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/forum/2-football/

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I'm just thankful that I got clarity that there are 125 FCS college football teams, and therefore 125 head coaches, and exactly 121 of them will be complete and utter frauds in every single year. Also, it's good to know that young, up and coming coaches are also frauds. That PJ Fleck guy, hasn't accomplished shit. Fraud!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Meanwhile, fuck fOSU.  I can't think of a fanbase that less deserves the seamless transfers of power that they have.   2 coaches in a row won national titles but had to go for being shitheels and they still don't miss a beat and are recruiting like last decade Bama.  

I understand your sentiment, but the correct answer is ou. 

Here are the highest risers in the new 247 compositie updates from the Midlands region. There were a few others, but I only added those with current or past Texas ties.

Donovan Jackson -- Ohio State
Jackson, an elite offensive line prospect who could play tackle or guard in college, ascended from 35th on the 247Sports Composite to 22nd, making him a new five-star recruit. Jackson committed Jan. 8 to Ohio State. Jackson is the No. 1 guard in the country and the No. 3 overall prospect in the state of Texas on the 247Sports Composite.

Destyn Pazon
Moving up from No. 130 to No. 117 was four-star receiver standout Destyn Pazon from perennial New Orleans power Edna Karr. He's a top 20 wideout nationally and a top five player in Louisiana for the 2021 cycle. Pazon named a late March top five of Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, and Oklahoma. Florida State has gotten 100 percent of the 15 forecasts made on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Sawyer Robertson -- Mississippi State
The Mississippi State-bound four-star quarterback from Lubbock (Texas) Coronado moved up two dozen spots from 161st to 137th. He's now the No. 9 pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 22 overall prospect in the state of Texas for his class. Robertson committed at the end of March to the Bulldogs.

Ketron Jackson
Moving from No. 177 to No. 150 was the four-star wideout from Royse City (Texas) High School, a jump that pushed Jackson to 26th among 2021 receivers and 26th overall in the Lone Star State's class. Jackson owns more than 20 offers from across the country with schools such as Arkansas, Baylor, and TCU among several contenders.

James Brockermeyer
The four-star center from Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints' Episcopal jumped into the top 200 from No. 204 to No. 195. The 6-foot-3, 273-pounder is the nation's top center in the class and ranks 33rd overall in the state of Texas. The 247Sports Crystal Ball stands at 67 percent for Texas and 33 percent for Alabama.

Kaidon Salter -- Tennessee
The Cedar Hill (Texas) High School four-star quarterback ascended 30 spots from No. 284 to No. 253 on the 247Sports Composite. Salter is a top 10 dual-threat QB and the No. 40 overall prospect in the Lone Star State on the Composite. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound quarterback committed this past Sunday to Tennessee.

Andrew Mukuba
The Central Texas four-star safety from Austin LBJ soared almost 100 spots from 368th nationally to the No. 274 with the 247Sports Composite update. Mukuba is now No. 14 among 2021 safety prospects and No. 42 overall in the Lone Star State. Mukuba has reported about three dozen offers. Schools such as Texas, Clemson, and Oklahoma have been considered top contenders. Texas sits at 43 percent on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, followed by Clemson at 29 percent.

Brandon Campbell -- USC
The Houston-area four-star running back from Katy High School moved up more than two dozen spots from No. 334 to No. 309 in the country on the Composite. Campbell is a top 20 running back in this class and No. 45 overall in the state of Texas. Campbell, who has reported almost 40 offers, committed in late March to USC.

Morice Blackwell -- Texas
The Arlington (Texas) Martin three-star linebacker ascended more than 300 spots from outside the top 700 to No. 366 on the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 26 outside linebacker in the class and No. 53 overall in the state of Texas. Blackwell committed this past Sunday to Texas, which he chose over more than a dozen offers.

• Like 3

With our lackluster WR recruiting so far I thought I'd look for some under-recruited and/or regional guys that I think we should offer. First up is Dominic Lovett. He is certainly not under-recruited, but he is from a state that we've had some recruiting success in and a place that I wish we would recruit more heavily. He has great speed and quickness with the ability to stop and start on a dime. Can play inside or outside.  Bryce Stephens reminds me of a taller Jalen Reagor.  He is good at everything: receiveing, rushing, returning, and even playing DB. My final player to highlight is recent TCU commit Chase Jackson. It's clear that the recruiting services are not giving Oklahoma prospects the credit that they deserve. This guy is 6'2", has great wheels, long arms, and soft hands.  All three of these guys have the potential to be elite and I hope we offer them ASAP.

55 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Here are the highest risers in the new 247 compositie updates from the Midlands region. There were a few others, but I only added those with current or past Texas ties.

Donovan Jackson -- Ohio State
Jackson, an elite offensive line prospect who could play tackle or guard in college, ascended from 35th on the 247Sports Composite to 22nd, making him a new five-star recruit. Jackson committed Jan. 8 to Ohio State. Jackson is the No. 1 guard in the country and the No. 3 overall prospect in the state of Texas on the 247Sports Composite.

Destyn Pazon
Moving up from No. 130 to No. 117 was four-star receiver standout Destyn Pazon from perennial New Orleans power Edna Karr. He's a top 20 wideout nationally and a top five player in Louisiana for the 2021 cycle. Pazon named a late March top five of Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, and Oklahoma. Florida State has gotten 100 percent of the 15 forecasts made on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Sawyer Robertson -- Mississippi State
The Mississippi State-bound four-star quarterback from Lubbock (Texas) Coronado moved up two dozen spots from 161st to 137th. He's now the No. 9 pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 22 overall prospect in the state of Texas for his class. Robertson committed at the end of March to the Bulldogs.

Ketron Jackson
Moving from No. 177 to No. 150 was the four-star wideout from Royse City (Texas) High School, a jump that pushed Jackson to 26th among 2021 receivers and 26th overall in the Lone Star State's class. Jackson owns more than 20 offers from across the country with schools such as Arkansas, Baylor, and TCU among several contenders.

James Brockermeyer
The four-star center from Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints' Episcopal jumped into the top 200 from No. 204 to No. 195. The 6-foot-3, 273-pounder is the nation's top center in the class and ranks 33rd overall in the state of Texas. The 247Sports Crystal Ball stands at 67 percent for Texas and 33 percent for Alabama.

Kaidon Salter -- Tennessee
The Cedar Hill (Texas) High School four-star quarterback ascended 30 spots from No. 284 to No. 253 on the 247Sports Composite. Salter is a top 10 dual-threat QB and the No. 40 overall prospect in the Lone Star State on the Composite. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound quarterback committed this past Sunday to Tennessee.

Andrew Mukuba
The Central Texas four-star safety from Austin LBJ soared almost 100 spots from 368th nationally to the No. 274 with the 247Sports Composite update. Mukuba is now No. 14 among 2021 safety prospects and No. 42 overall in the Lone Star State. Mukuba has reported about three dozen offers. Schools such as Texas, Clemson, and Oklahoma have been considered top contenders. Texas sits at 43 percent on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, followed by Clemson at 29 percent.

Brandon Campbell -- USC
The Houston-area four-star running back from Katy High School moved up more than two dozen spots from No. 334 to No. 309 in the country on the Composite. Campbell is a top 20 running back in this class and No. 45 overall in the state of Texas. Campbell, who has reported almost 40 offers, committed in late March to USC.

Morice Blackwell -- Texas
The Arlington (Texas) Martin three-star linebacker ascended more than 300 spots from outside the top 700 to No. 366 on the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 26 outside linebacker in the class and No. 53 overall in the state of Texas. Blackwell committed this past Sunday to Texas, which he chose over more than a dozen offers.

Sawyer Robertson and the Pirate are going to make aggy absolutely miserable and I am going to enjoy every second of it. 

• Like 9

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Afternoon Delight: Jaden Alexis and West Coast intel

Spoiler

Afternoon Delight: Jaden Alexis and West Coast intel

MikeRoach

— I mentioned in Mike at Night that I heard some positive buzz regarding Texas and Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch wide receiver Jaden Alexis. I spoke with Alexis this afternoon and it sounds like there is serious interest from both sides. Alexis spoke at length about how well his visits with the Texas staff are going and how he feels Texas is a great fit with their academic excellence and vertical offense. We'll have a full story next week, but Alexis said he's approaching the situation as if he won't be able to take visits at all. He's doing independent research on each school and coming to his own conclusions so that he can be comfortable with committing despite not visiting. Judging by what I've heard from Austin and the quotes Alexis gave me, I think we can begin to deem him a serious option at receiver.

— The subject came up on the Horns247 message board today, but I was close to writing about it as it is. With the increasing talk that football might not happen on the West Coast this year, there is some uncertainty from teams out there. I was told that several prospects investigated moving to another area to play their senior seasons and some coaches in those states are worried this will have a big impact on recruiting. I can't say it's a certainty right now, but it certainly doesn't hurt Texas. The two prospects I've heard most from on the West Coast are Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany athlete Jaylin Smith and Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson. I think Texas is making progress with both regardless of the pandemic.

— There have been some rumors around Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon lately. I was told that while the family has discussed making a decision there's nothing imminent. They've been dealing with some personal things at home and are trying to sort through that and keep Deuce's head on straight. If he made a pick right now, I believe it would be Texas A&M, but his parents are staying involved to make sure his decision is grounded no matter where he picks. They were waiting to hear some news on summer visits and with those all but done, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a commitment in the next month or two. Texas continues to work here to make up ground.

• Like 2

(It's Wykoff)

247 / Steve Wiltfong / 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: OL to Texas A&M

Spoiler

247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: OL to Texas A&M

Steve Wiltfong

Logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Texas A&M for Magnolia (Texas) High offensive lineman Matthew Wykoff who in March narrowed his list of over 30 offers to seven schools.

The Aggies are battling the likes of Texas, Texas Tech, Arizona State, Auburn, Penn State and USC.

The 247Sports Composite ranks the 6-foot-5, 304-pound Wykoff as the nation's No. 33 offensive tackle.

Wykoff helped his team to an 8-4 record as a junior in earning first team All-District.

"Possesses very good size with a big frame requisite for the tackle spot at the high-major level," 247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks wrote about Wykoff in his evaluation. "Already 300 pounds but could hold more weight given frame potential. Strong in the phone booth, especially against speed-oriented defenders. Too big and strong for speed rushers. Plays hard with a consistent motor. Size to affect pass-rushers around the edge. Lower-body strength manifests in block-finishing ability. Ample right tackle experience and could slide inside if needed. Can improve hand placement and consistency. Foot quickness can get better to maximize pass pro against edge speed. Can improve initial punch power at the point of attack. Power Five-caliber offensive lineman who could provide position versatility and become reliable starter in college."

The Aggies currently have seven commits in the 2021 recruiting class.

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(It's Wykoff)

247 / Steve Wiltfong / 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: OL to Texas A&M

Hide contents

247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: OL to Texas A&M

Steve Wiltfong

Logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Texas A&M for Magnolia (Texas) High offensive lineman Matthew Wykoff who in March narrowed his list of over 30 offers to seven schools.

The Aggies are battling the likes of Texas, Texas Tech, Arizona State, Auburn, Penn State and USC.

The 247Sports Composite ranks the 6-foot-5, 304-pound Wykoff as the nation's No. 33 offensive tackle.

Wykoff helped his team to an 8-4 record as a junior in earning first team All-District.

"Possesses very good size with a big frame requisite for the tackle spot at the high-major level," 247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks wrote about Wykoff in his evaluation. "Already 300 pounds but could hold more weight given frame potential. Strong in the phone booth, especially against speed-oriented defenders. Too big and strong for speed rushers. Plays hard with a consistent motor. Size to affect pass-rushers around the edge. Lower-body strength manifests in block-finishing ability. Ample right tackle experience and could slide inside if needed. Can improve hand placement and consistency. Foot quickness can get better to maximize pass pro against edge speed. Can improve initial punch power at the point of attack. Power Five-caliber offensive lineman who could provide position versatility and become reliable starter in college."

The Aggies currently have seven commits in the 2021 recruiting class.

He grew up an aggy fan, but they deprioritized him for cubes. Guess they came around.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He grew up an aggy fan, but they deprioritized him for cubes. Guess they came around.

He's probably better suited for Guard, but would be a Tackle for them.

Also, posted in the aggy thread, Daddy98 said absolutely "NO" on taking Wykoff.

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just to add on to the laughter of Rivals rankings, Foster, Jackson, and Conner got the invited to the Rivals 5* challenge at the Houston camp.  Foster and Jackson get huge bumps, but Conner gets dropped out of the 250.

I mean, Connor has been dropping all over. Not being invited to their camp feels a bit much, however. 

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just to add on to the laughter of Rivals rankings, Foster, Jackson, and Conner got the invited to the Rivals 5* challenge at the Houston camp.  Foster and Jackson get huge bumps, but Conner gets dropped out of the 250.

Conner was overrated early

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

#blessed

Still leaving his plant foot a little too open and stride is a little wide, so he’s not getting full power off his back foot, but he’s got such a great arm it’s not usually obvious on his throws. That’s small stuff I hope Yurcich and co will get him to clean up once he gets here. 

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Still leaving his plant foot a little too open and stride is a little wide, so he’s not getting full power off his back foot, but he’s got such a great arm it’s not usually obvious on his throws. That’s small stuff I hope Yurcich and co will get him to clean up once he gets here. 

interesting.  what’s your coaching background?