Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Cain plays with 2022 prospect and Ohio State commit, Jyaire Brown. Hold an offer.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jyaire-Brown-46099473/

The Netflix show QB1 that followed Rattler around also followed Lance LeGendre from Warren Easton who ended up at Maryland. Cain would have been a Sophomore, but it would be interesting the see if he's featured at all.

19 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Here are the highest risers in the new 247 compositie updates from the Midlands region. There were a few others, but I only added those with current or past Texas ties.

Donovan Jackson -- Ohio State
Jackson, an elite offensive line prospect who could play tackle or guard in college, ascended from 35th on the 247Sports Composite to 22nd, making him a new five-star recruit. Jackson committed Jan. 8 to Ohio State. Jackson is the No. 1 guard in the country and the No. 3 overall prospect in the state of Texas on the 247Sports Composite.

Destyn Pazon
Moving up from No. 130 to No. 117 was four-star receiver standout Destyn Pazon from perennial New Orleans power Edna Karr. He's a top 20 wideout nationally and a top five player in Louisiana for the 2021 cycle. Pazon named a late March top five of Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, and Oklahoma. Florida State has gotten 100 percent of the 15 forecasts made on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Sawyer Robertson -- Mississippi State
The Mississippi State-bound four-star quarterback from Lubbock (Texas) Coronado moved up two dozen spots from 161st to 137th. He's now the No. 9 pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 22 overall prospect in the state of Texas for his class. Robertson committed at the end of March to the Bulldogs.

Ketron Jackson
Moving from No. 177 to No. 150 was the four-star wideout from Royse City (Texas) High School, a jump that pushed Jackson to 26th among 2021 receivers and 26th overall in the Lone Star State's class. Jackson owns more than 20 offers from across the country with schools such as Arkansas, Baylor, and TCU among several contenders.

James Brockermeyer
The four-star center from Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints' Episcopal jumped into the top 200 from No. 204 to No. 195. The 6-foot-3, 273-pounder is the nation's top center in the class and ranks 33rd overall in the state of Texas. The 247Sports Crystal Ball stands at 67 percent for Texas and 33 percent for Alabama.

Kaidon Salter -- Tennessee
The Cedar Hill (Texas) High School four-star quarterback ascended 30 spots from No. 284 to No. 253 on the 247Sports Composite. Salter is a top 10 dual-threat QB and the No. 40 overall prospect in the Lone Star State on the Composite. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound quarterback committed this past Sunday to Tennessee.

Andrew Mukuba
The Central Texas four-star safety from Austin LBJ soared almost 100 spots from 368th nationally to the No. 274 with the 247Sports Composite update. Mukuba is now No. 14 among 2021 safety prospects and No. 42 overall in the Lone Star State. Mukuba has reported about three dozen offers. Schools such as Texas, Clemson, and Oklahoma have been considered top contenders. Texas sits at 43 percent on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, followed by Clemson at 29 percent.

Brandon Campbell -- USC
The Houston-area four-star running back from Katy High School moved up more than two dozen spots from No. 334 to No. 309 in the country on the Composite. Campbell is a top 20 running back in this class and No. 45 overall in the state of Texas. Campbell, who has reported almost 40 offers, committed in late March to USC.

Morice Blackwell -- Texas
The Arlington (Texas) Martin three-star linebacker ascended more than 300 spots from outside the top 700 to No. 366 on the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 26 outside linebacker in the class and No. 53 overall in the state of Texas. Blackwell committed this past Sunday to Texas, which he chose over more than a dozen offers.

one more reminder that these moron coaches thought they could get Sawyer Robertson as the #2 QB in the class.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

one more reminder that these moron coaches thought they could get Sawyer Robertson as the #2 QB in the class.

Sawyer would have been our #1, because if they hadn’t gotten their shit together Milroe would have likely bolted. It seems like Yurich and Tom Herman have a lot in common in regards to being smarter than everyone else. Let’s hope for our sake when it comes to playcalling, he’s right. 

• Like 1

This is a Horns247-tier justification.

It’s not a justification you grim reaper twat stick. Herman himself said it, as the poster above referenced.

What Herman didn’t say, but has been said privately, is that they had some choices in the last two cycles between higher potential players with some character questions vs slightly lower rated players with fewer character issues and they regretted going with the recruits with character risks. I won’t name any specific names but there’s one very large player you can guess.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sawyer would have been our #1, because if they hadn’t gotten their shit together Milroe would have likely bolted. It seems like Yurich and Tom Herman have a lot in common in regards to being smarter than everyone else. Let’s hope for our sake when it comes to playcalling, he’s right. 

the mary tyler moore show please GIF by HULU

• Like 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

It’s not a justification you grim reaper twat stick. Herman himself said it, as the poster above referenced.

What Herman didn’t say, but has been said privately, is that they had some choices in the last two cycles between higher potential players with some character questions vs slightly lower rated players with fewer character issues and they regretted going with the recruits with character risks. I won’t name any specific names but there’s one very large player you can guess.

Gotta admit, that elicited a hearty chuckle.

qrR9s_cY.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ahahahaha I keep forgetting who on here knows their Louisiana WRs, but they're not stoked about this dude at all.

Cain and Brooks on the same day OU is getting Smith and Williams is some WalMart Great Value shit.

Is Walmrt Great Value our version of Bread?

Interesting quote from Michael Jackson to Such

Another recent out-of-state offer extended by Texas was to Las Vegas Desert Pines wideout Michael Jackson. The Rivals250 member said he didn’t completely know the UT offer was going to come, but he knew he was on the staff’s radar.

“I wouldn’t say it was out of the blue, but it was kind of random. I guess they’ve been talking to my coach for a while, saw my film and offered me on the spot,” Jackson said. “Coach (Andre) Coleman, he texted me, wanted to get on the phone. That was pretty big. To get an offer from a school like that, especially me being from the West Coast, getting that kind of offer is pretty big. There’s a lot of talent that has come from Texas – Tyler Lockett, Devin Duvernay most recently. It was a real blessing.”

I would be shocked to learn that a 16-17yo knows who the fuck Tyler Lockett is without the Google machine. This could be part of the problem.

25 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I would be shocked to learn that a 16-17yo knows who the fuck Tyler Lockett is without the Google machine. This could be part of the problem.

He's been one of the most productive WR's in the NFL the past 2 seasons. Though it seems he's confusing coming from Texas and having played under Coleman

Edited by TommyGufano

57 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s not a justification you grim reaper twat stick. Herman himself said it, as the poster above referenced.  What Herman didn’t say, but has been said privately, is that they had some choices in the last two cycles between higher potential players with some character questions vs slightly lower rated players with fewer character issues and they regretted going with the recruits with character risks. I won’t name any specific names but there’s one very large player you can guess.

Hell, I'll mention a few names...

Obviously we know about the problems related to Joshua Moore and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps.  Maybe the OL Javonne Shepherd fits the character narrative too?? 

Btw stumbled on to this gem...

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/article/javonne-shepherd-weight-loss-butler-cc-texas-am-football-recruiting-146827757/

Edited by LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lockett is from Oklahoma. Maybe he's just saying "from Texas" like from the Texas coaching staff.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Obviously we know about the problems related to Joshua Moore and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps...

Maybe the OL Javonne Shepherd fits the character narrative too??

It’s shepherds, dude. “One very large player.” Additionally, mapps and Moore were not seen as poor character guys out of HS. Mapps has plenty of fault and flake in him, but Drew Mehringer also played an overwhelmingly large role in his departure. 

• Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Obviously we know about the problems related to Joshua Moore and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps...

Maybe the OL Javonne Shepherd fits the character narrative too??

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance on successfully running a college football program, but RHM and Shepherd seem like ideal versions of guys who don't work out. High ceiling prospects (in RHM's case, he had a pretty productive freshman season) who got the fuck out of the program quickly and opened up a spot for the next man up when it didn't work out.

Would we rather have some 3* who takes up a scholarship for 4 years without ever sniffing playing time?

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance on successfully running a college football program, but RHM and Shepherd seem like ideal versions of guys who don't work out. High ceiling prospects (in RHM's case, he had a pretty productive freshman season) who got the fuck out of the program quickly and opened up a spot for the next man up when it didn't work out.

Would we rather have some 3* who takes up a scholarship for 4 years without ever sniffing playing time?

RHM, I agree. The culture fell apart last year. Shepherd contributed actively to the toxicity that defined the entire season. 

Settling for non-contributors in lieu of highly talented question marks is not binary. You can find guys of any ranking that will build the culture. TH gets himself into trouble when he doesn't have an adequate backup plan like when they miss on Princely (right or wrong), and takes Goram-Welch. 

57 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn't they just get Hudson Card and Ja'Quinden Jackson in a 2 QB class?  Both were top 75 composite prospects.

to be fair it was kind of unique with regards to JJ and Texas being willing to let him be a QB

my point is that generally you aren't going to get 2 guys who are that good with a ton of other offers to go play QB somewhere. 

there was nothing about Robertson wanting to come to Texas, loving it there, favorite team, etc - just that they wanted him to be the 2nd QB in their class

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Cain seems like a guy we could have got after seeing what happens with K. Jackson, Presley, M. Jackson, Alexis, ect.

I think Jackson ends up at SC from his quotes in the article, CBs, etc.

Jackson and Presley are both looking good, all of these reports on Alexis are really good. If we take 4, Cain is clearly the floor but taking him now doesn't handicap us in any of the others. Just doesn't leave room for an ideal slot candidate because we certainly won't be taking 5.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s a combination of non existent WR coaching and Malcolm Epps being a particularly special brand of pussy. Not specifically a knock against recruiting big bodied wide receivers. Other schools do fine with the big guys, and I’m hoping our luck changes with Omiere, and we see Eagles get more physical as well. But yeah, that’s non existent coaching and Epps being the Satya of WRs. 

This. The fact that Epps couldn't get any separation off the line after getting hit by the guy with ~7" and 60lbs less is a joke.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s a combination of non existent WR coaching and Malcolm Epps being a particularly special brand of pussy. Not specifically a knock against recruiting big bodied wide receivers. Other schools do fine with the big guys, and I’m hoping our luck changes with Omiere, and we see Eagles get more physical as well. But yeah, that’s non existent coaching and Epps being the Satya of WRs. 

The quarterback’s decision to throw it there and ball placement also leave something to be desired on that play. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Obviously we know about the problems related to Joshua Moore and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps.  Maybe the OL Javonne Shepherd fits the character narrative too?? 

Btw stumbled on to this gem...

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/article/javonne-shepherd-weight-loss-butler-cc-texas-am-football-recruiting-146827757/

These sentences: However, during the fall semester this past year, Shepherd decided he was going to transfer from the school. He looked into heading to another four-year institution, but was forced to go the junior college route.

Forced, as in Javonne forced himself to go the junior college route.  School and whatnot.  And now he gets to do his Community College remotely.  This guy is being rewarded for incompetence.  Ordinarily, I would think it would become a problem down the road but the ideal SEC school won't care if he plays school either.  

And during the fall semester he decided.  F'king loser.  

Edited by Mdhorn

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The quarterback’s decision to throw it there and ball placement also leave something to be desired on that play. 

my thoughts--throw it low and inside to a tall receiver.  Guess it prevented him from being driven out of bounds before the marker but doesn't seem ideal.  

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

He looked into heading to another four-year institution, but was forced to go the junior college route.Forced as in Javonne forced himself to go the junior college route.  School and whatnot.  And now he gets to do his Community College remotely.  This guy is being rewarded for incompetence.  Ordinarily, I would think it would become a problem down the road but the ideal SEC school won't care if he plays school either.  

"A&M JUCO target Javonne Shepherd with impressive weight loss"

By BRIAN PEEE-RRONI           May 5, 12:10 PM

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Javonne-Shepherd-weight-loss-Butler-CC-Texas-AM-football-recruiting-146827757/

Edited by LTtxfan

I don't know who it was that wrote the article (I think it was 247 though) but as of today there are more than twice as many kids committed as at this same point the last few years.  They expect there to be a metric shit-ton of de-commits once visits actually happen.  

It seems like more kids than ever are making sure they have a seat somewhere.

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"A&M JUCO target Javonne Shepherd with impressive weight loss"

By BRIAN PEEE-RRONI           May 5, 12:10 PM

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Javonne-Shepherd-weight-loss-Butler-CC-Texas-AM-football-recruiting-146827757/

Saw aggy, but why not be serious and actually consider Auburn or one of the Mississippi schools if he only cares about football and still wants to collect some scratch?   

Edited by Mdhorn

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Cain seems like a guy we could have got after seeing what happens with K. Jackson, Presley, M. Jackson, Alexis, ect.

Ketron Jackson and Presley aren't all that great though. I'm not sure Cain is worse than either of them. Michael Jackson and Alexis both look pretty good though. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas a 'great fit' for Florida wide receiver Jaden Alexis

Spoiler

Texas a 'great fit' for Florida wide receiver Jaden Alexis

MikeRoach

Contact between Jaden Alexis and Texas has been heating up.

The three-star wide receiver from Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch has been in constant communication with the Texas staff via zoom meetings and virtual tours. Andre Coleman is doing the heavy lifting, but Alexis said that offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and Tom Herman are also frequently involved.

"I've talked to coach Coleman mostly," Alexis said. "I've talked to coach Yurcich a few times and coach Herman here and there whenever he's free. The message to me is just how great of a fit I'll be. My skill level and the things I can do with the ball in my hands. It fits perfect, whether it's the slot or playing outside. They want to allow me to play both inside and outside and be a very productive player on the field for them."

Virtual tours are the new norm in a COVID-19 world. Despite never visiting, Alexis said he's been able to learn about Austin through the tours and his own research.

"I've learned a lot," he said. "I definitely got a chance to look at all the facilities and all the great things they have there in Texas. The money that they put into things is just really awesome to see. I got a little rundown of the city.

"I've even done a little research of my own about the city. I've watched videos and got to see the things that are around there. I really got a full feel of everything that's in Austin and around Austin and how great the city is. I got to meet the strength coach and see how they go about their weight room. It's just been a really in-depth virtual tour with them. It covered all spots for me."

For Alexis, academics are a priority. Texas has one of the top business programs in the country and, they are using that as a point in their favor.

"That's definitely been pushed," he said. "For me, academics are important. At the end of the day, football is going to be over at some point. Hopefully, that's later than early, but one thing I do want is to be able to go to a school where I can get a great education and have those connections.

"That's one thing pitch-wise that they gave to me is how great the Texas alumni is and the things and people I'll be exposed to. I'll be able to build those connections so later on after football, or even during football, I'll have an opportunity to get a degree that's weighted in gold."

Alexis doesn't have any official list of top schools, but he said Texas is high.

"I don't have an official top schools list that I've put out," he said. "They are top five, top three, or top two for me. They are one of the lead running schools for me. Just everything about them is a great fit for me."

Over the last few weeks, Texas commits have been in contact with him. Alexis said he's enjoyed getting to know two of the Longhorns' vocal recruiters.

"I've talked to Jalen Milroe and Landen King," he said. "Those are great guys right there."

Several other schools are standing out for Alexis right now as well.

"In no particular order, it's Georgia, Miami, Texas, Kentucky and Georgia Tech. They are all great schools."

The coronavirus pandemic changed the face of recruiting. Athletes are now committing without ever visiting. Alexis said he's preparing for the worst and hoping for the best with visits. He knows he may have to decide on a school without ever seeing it for himself.

"For me, I kind of already look at it like we are not going to be able to take visits," he said. "That's why I'm kind of taking my time to be able to see the schools. The virtual tour with Texas, those things are the things I know will be great in the long one because I'm almost positive I won't be able to take an official visit in this cycle of recruiting.

"For me, it's all about making sure I'm taking my own time and researching my own things. I'm just looking up videos or aerial shots on Google Maps so I can get a great feel of what's around me and things like that."

Alexis doesn't have a timeline at the moment. His only focus is on making the right choice.

"Time-wise, I'm just trying to play it slow," Alexis said. "We've got seven months until signing day, and that is a long time. It's not a lot but for me it is. A lot of things can change and I just want to make sure that once I make that decision whether it's in a month, two months, or five-six-seven months away, I just want to make sure I'm one-hundred percent with it. I don't plan on de-committing from anywhere I commit to. It's going to be set in stone and that's where I'm signing."

Alexis visited local programs like Miami, but he said that won't be a factor against Texas. The tours from the staff and the Longhorn Network have been huge tools in helping Alexis become acquainted with the program.

"Absolutely not," he said. "That's why I think Texas is special in that way. Sure, I haven't been able to see it, but the opportunities they've given me to do virtual tours and even having their own network is big. I've been able to sit there and watch their inside access episodes and things like that to feel like I'm getting everything I can out of this process with them.

"I'm not afraid to make a decision without seeing it first because I know what's in Austin because I've seen it virtually. It would be great if I got a chance to see it in person and feel the vibes, but I really feel comfortable with them."

At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Alexis is ranked as the No. 71 wide receiver in the nation and No. 66 overall prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports Composite.

2 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Ketron Jackson and Presley aren't all that great though. I'm not sure Cain is worse than either of them. Michael Jackson and Alexis both look pretty good though. 

Presley is a stud, imo. His hudl is clearly superior to Cain's. 

Jackson has really good track times. He's clearly faster on the track than Cain. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Presley is a stud, imo. His hudl is clearly superior to Cain's. 

Jackson has really good track times. He's clearly faster on the track than Cain. 

Sure. But you fail to mention that athletically, Cain is still raw.

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 1

Horns 247 / Bobby Burton / Friday (On Jonathon Brooks and Casey Cain)

Spoiler

Friday 

BobbyBurton

I kind of laughed to myself yesterday afternoon when I got a call from Mike Roach.

Mike asked me to write something about what I see in Jonathon Brooks that other teams or scouts don’t. Apparently Brooks’ offer list isn’t of the same level as other RBs Texas is recruiting.

Here’s the deal.

I am always overly critical of this team’s recruiting efforts and I’m overly critical of the Texas team as a whole. The way I see it, it’s my job to be tough on all aspects of the Texas program in an attempt to bring you the truth about the state of the program.

So here’s how I feel about Brooks:

I’m a big fan. I have been since I first saw his film several months ago. I’ve even wrote as much.

His ability to make the first person miss is outstanding. His vision is as good or better than any runner on the current Texas squad’s was in high school. He is able to make himself skinny in the hole and has better acceleration than outright speed.

He also makes cuts that defy the limits of a normal person’s ACLs.

To be clear, I’m not saying he’s the next big thing. I don’t know if he will be or not.

But for any person to watch his film and then come back and fret over Texas offering him is ridiculous.

As a small town Texas high schooler, Brooks has a lot of personal growth remaining. He’s not some highly finished product that you will find at many of the state’s powerhouse programs.

So forgive me if I applaud this commitment. I think this guy has something to him.

But the story doesn’t end there.

I got a second text last night from Mike.

Another commitment to Texas might be coming down today. This one from a player I’d never heard of before the text.

Casey Cain, a receiver out of Warren Easton in New Orleans.

I didn’t look up his 247Sports profile first. Instead, I looked up his Hudl film.

I didn’t want to know his offer list or ranking to skew my thinking of his ability and/or performance.

I watched his film. I liked what I saw.

He’s a long, athletic receiver. He seems to snatch the ball away from his body and gets in and out of cuts cleanly.

I watched a few of basketball highlights. He looks quick and athletic there.

Is he the best receiver I’ve ever seen? Of course not.

Is he good enough to play at Texas?

Certainly.

He’s more athletic and quicker than Al’Vonte Woodard.

The idea that only the highest rated players are worthy of a scholarship offer is absurd.

One thing I will always do is believe my own eyes over the evaluation of another person.

He looks like a solid player, who plays multiple sports at a high school in New Orleans. Like Brooks, he is far from a finished product like you would find at other places in the state of Texas.

Some may categorize this offer as a reach. I just don’t see it that way. I see Cain as a solid player with upside.

I want to add this.

I think this Texas personnel staff has done an excellent job overall. The overall talent level on the 40 Acres has been upgraded significantly in the last three and a half years.

They have taken players early that weren’t highly recruited when they did so (like Jared Wiley, Marcus Tillman, Kitan Crawford and Christian Jones) and did the same at Houston previously (like Sam Cosmi and Marqez Bimage).

Suffice to say, I’m a believer in the Texas personnel staff. And these two players that are expected to commit today are no different.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and we get back to seeing some football sooner rather than later.

Presley's hudl is not clearly superior to Cain's, or we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm nonplussed by him and Ketron. I think there are better recievers out there that we haven't even offered. I think we should be offering quite a few more guys this cycle than we normally do. 

2 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Presley's hudl is not clearly superior to Cain's, or we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm nonplussed by him and Ketron. I think there are better recievers out there that we haven't even offered. I think we should be offering quite a few more guys this cycle than we normally do. 

Offers by cycle:

2018: 120

2019: 139

2020: 131

2021: 139 already (May  15, 2020)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas a 'great fit' for Florida wide receiver Jaden Alexis

Hide contents

Texas a 'great fit' for Florida wide receiver Jaden Alexis

MikeRoach

Contact between Jaden Alexis and Texas has been heating up.

The three-star wide receiver from Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch has been in constant communication with the Texas staff via zoom meetings and virtual tours. Andre Coleman is doing the heavy lifting, but Alexis said that offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and Tom Herman are also frequently involved.

"I've talked to coach Coleman mostly," Alexis said. "I've talked to coach Yurcich a few times and coach Herman here and there whenever he's free. The message to me is just how great of a fit I'll be. My skill level and the things I can do with the ball in my hands. It fits perfect, whether it's the slot or playing outside. They want to allow me to play both inside and outside and be a very productive player on the field for them."

Virtual tours are the new norm in a COVID-19 world. Despite never visiting, Alexis said he's been able to learn about Austin through the tours and his own research.

"I've learned a lot," he said. "I definitely got a chance to look at all the facilities and all the great things they have there in Texas. The money that they put into things is just really awesome to see. I got a little rundown of the city.

"I've even done a little research of my own about the city. I've watched videos and got to see the things that are around there. I really got a full feel of everything that's in Austin and around Austin and how great the city is. I got to meet the strength coach and see how they go about their weight room. It's just been a really in-depth virtual tour with them. It covered all spots for me."

For Alexis, academics are a priority. Texas has one of the top business programs in the country and, they are using that as a point in their favor.

"That's definitely been pushed," he said. "For me, academics are important. At the end of the day, football is going to be over at some point. Hopefully, that's later than early, but one thing I do want is to be able to go to a school where I can get a great education and have those connections.

"That's one thing pitch-wise that they gave to me is how great the Texas alumni is and the things and people I'll be exposed to. I'll be able to build those connections so later on after football, or even during football, I'll have an opportunity to get a degree that's weighted in gold."

Alexis doesn't have any official list of top schools, but he said Texas is high.

"I don't have an official top schools list that I've put out," he said. "They are top five, top three, or top two for me. They are one of the lead running schools for me. Just everything about them is a great fit for me."

Over the last few weeks, Texas commits have been in contact with him. Alexis said he's enjoyed getting to know two of the Longhorns' vocal recruiters.

"I've talked to Jalen Milroe and Landen King," he said. "Those are great guys right there."

Several other schools are standing out for Alexis right now as well.

"In no particular order, it's Georgia, Miami, Texas, Kentucky and Georgia Tech. They are all great schools."

The coronavirus pandemic changed the face of recruiting. Athletes are now committing without ever visiting. Alexis said he's preparing for the worst and hoping for the best with visits. He knows he may have to decide on a school without ever seeing it for himself.

"For me, I kind of already look at it like we are not going to be able to take visits," he said. "That's why I'm kind of taking my time to be able to see the schools. The virtual tour with Texas, those things are the things I know will be great in the long one because I'm almost positive I won't be able to take an official visit in this cycle of recruiting.

"For me, it's all about making sure I'm taking my own time and researching my own things. I'm just looking up videos or aerial shots on Google Maps so I can get a great feel of what's around me and things like that."

Alexis doesn't have a timeline at the moment. His only focus is on making the right choice.

"Time-wise, I'm just trying to play it slow," Alexis said. "We've got seven months until signing day, and that is a long time. It's not a lot but for me it is. A lot of things can change and I just want to make sure that once I make that decision whether it's in a month, two months, or five-six-seven months away, I just want to make sure I'm one-hundred percent with it. I don't plan on de-committing from anywhere I commit to. It's going to be set in stone and that's where I'm signing."

Alexis visited local programs like Miami, but he said that won't be a factor against Texas. The tours from the staff and the Longhorn Network have been huge tools in helping Alexis become acquainted with the program.

"Absolutely not," he said. "That's why I think Texas is special in that way. Sure, I haven't been able to see it, but the opportunities they've given me to do virtual tours and even having their own network is big. I've been able to sit there and watch their inside access episodes and things like that to feel like I'm getting everything I can out of this process with them.

"I'm not afraid to make a decision without seeing it first because I know what's in Austin because I've seen it virtually. It would be great if I got a chance to see it in person and feel the vibes, but I really feel comfortable with them."

At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Alexis is ranked as the No. 71 wide receiver in the nation and No. 66 overall prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports Composite.

I love this kid. Of all available WR prospects, this is the one I want most. Tremendous fit. Verified 4.41, NFL bloodlines, student body president. 

His top schools list is interesting. There's only one other high academics school and GT doesn't exactly scare me, although it is closer to home. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I love this kid. Of all available WR prospects, this is the one I want most. Tremendous fit. Verified 4.41, NFL bloodlines, student body president. 

His top schools list is interesting. There's only one other high academics school and GT doesn't exactly scare me, although it is closer to home. 

Georgia and Miami are actually good at school, though their football players don't really have to interact with that side of things if they don't want to. Kentucky's a real outlier.

Edited by texifornia

20 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Reveal hidden contents

Friday 

BobbyBurton

I kind of laughed to myself yesterday afternoon when I got a call from Mike Roach.

Mike asked me to write something about what I see in Jonathon Brooks that other teams or scouts don’t. Apparently Brooks’ offer list isn’t of the same level as other RBs Texas is recruiting.

Here’s the deal.

I am always overly critical of this team’s recruiting efforts and I’m overly critical of the Texas team as a whole. The way I see it, it’s my job to be tough on all aspects of the Texas program in an attempt to bring you the truth about the state of the program.

I’m a big fan. I have been since I first saw his film several months ago. I’ve even wrote as much.

His ability to make the first person miss is outstanding. His vision is as good or better than any runner on the current Texas squad’s was in high school. He is able to make himself skinny in the hole and has better acceleration than outright speed.

To be clear, I’m not saying he’s the next big thing. I don’t know if he will be or not.

But for any person to watch his film and then come back and fret over Texas offering him is ridiculous.

As a small town Texas high schooler, Brooks has a lot of personal growth remaining. He’s not some highly finished product that you will find at many of the state’s powerhouse programs.

So forgive me if I applaud this commitment. I think this guy has something to him.

Another commitment to Texas might be coming down today. This one from a player I’d never heard of before the text.

I didn’t look up his 247Sports profile first. Instead, I looked up his Hudl film.

I didn’t want to know his offer list or ranking to skew my thinking of his ability and/or performance.

He’s a long, athletic receiver. He seems to snatch the ball away from his body and gets in and out of cuts cleanly.

Certainly.

The idea that only the highest rated players are worthy of a scholarship offer is absurd.

One thing I will always do is believe my own eyes over the evaluation of another person.

He looks like a solid player, who plays multiple sports at a high school in New Orleans. Like Brooks, he is far from a finished product like you would find at other places in the state of Texas.

Some may categorize this offer as a reach. I just don’t see it that way. I see Cain as a solid player with upside.

I want to add this.

I think this Texas personnel staff has done an excellent job overall. The overall talent level on the 40 Acres has been upgraded significantly in the last three and a half years.

They have taken players early that weren’t highly recruited when they did so (like Jared Wiley, Marcus Tillman, Kitan Crawford and Christian Jones) and did the same at Houston previously (like Sam Cosmi and Marqez Bimage).

Suffice to say, I’m a believer in the Texas personnel staff. And these two players that are expected to commit today are no different.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and we get back to seeing some football sooner rather than later.

Brooks I totally get, he's an RB take that won't scare off any big boys but also has real potential if he can translate his small school dominance.

Cain... even Burton's kind of hedging in there that he's not absolutely blown away. Compares him to a guy that's been injured pretty much his entire time at UT.

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Do you think he's a guy that could play slot?  I haven't watched his hudl.

25 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Reveal hidden contents

Friday 

BobbyBurton

Here’s the deal.

Certainly.

I want to add this.

Happy Friday! Everyone get excited for settling on mid 3-star skill players early in the cycle! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

RHM, I agree. The culture fell apart last year. Shepherd contributed actively to the toxicity that defined the entire season. 

Settling for non-contributors in lieu of highly talented question marks is not binary. You can find guys of any ranking that will build the culture. TH gets himself into trouble when he doesn't have an adequate backup plan like when they miss on Princely (right or wrong), and takes Goram-Welch. 

Yep. The discussion was framed as Herman regretting choosing the "higher rated/low character" guys over "lower rated/high character" guys. And my recollection of the Shepherd recruitment was not that we took him instead of someone else. I recall he was a "if he sticks, great. If he doesn't, oh well" because no one really expected him to get his shit together. I don't think we chose him over someone else, or that JS took someone's spot.

So using that as a justification for extending so many offers at WR to three-star under-the-radar dudes is kind of bullshit. It's presupposing that all highly-rated WRs are low-character guys. Which isn't true, even if WRs lean toward premadonnas more than any other position. We can't justify losing out or not pursuing talented players because of an experience with a fat and flaky OL recruit or a WR who hated our dipshit WR coach three years ago. Your culture has to be strong enough to be able to manage these dudes and their egos.

The culture didn't fall apart because of JS. The culture crumbled because "WEEEEEEEEE'RE BAAAAAAAACK" (fucking stupid, Sam) and then we played like shit and the inadequacies of the entire staff on both sides of the ball were exposed and all that hope and optimism vanished like a fart in the wind. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Brooks I totally get, he's an RB take that won't scare off any big boys but also has real potential if he can translate his small school dominance.

Cain... even Burton's kind of hedging in there that he's not absolutely blown away. Compares him to a guy that's been injured pretty much his entire time at UT.

I think his point about Woodard was in the context of offers and rankings (look at Burton's next comment).  Woodard was #104 overall.

Just now, irishtexan said:

Yep. The discussion was framed as Herman regretting choosing the "higher rated/low character" guys over "lower rated/high character" guys. And my recollection of the Shepherd recruitment was not that we took him instead of someone else. I recall he was a "if he sticks, great. If he doesn't, oh well" because no one really expected him to get his shit together. I don't think we chose him over someone else, or that JS took someone's spot.

So using that as a justification for extending so many offers at WR to three-star under-the-radar dudes is kind of bullshit. It's presupposing that all highly-rated WRs are low-character guys. Which isn't true, even if WRs lean toward premadonnas more than any other position. We can't justify losing out or not pursuing talented players because of an experience with a fat and flaky OL recruit or a WR who hated our dipshit WR coach three years ago. Your culture has to be strong enough to be able to manage these dudes and their egos.

The culture didn't fall apart because of JS. The culture crumbled because "WEEEEEEEEE'RE BAAAAAAAACK" (fucking stupid, Sam) and then we played like shit and the inadequacies of the entire staff on both sides of the ball were exposed and all that hope and optimism vanished like a fart in the wind. 

Sam saying we’re back had nothing to do with the culture falling apart.

We had incompetent coaches at almost every position. Full stop. When Todd Orlando is using every guy on the defense incorrectly and Drew Mehringer plays favorites with a guy who doesn’t even deserve having a scholarship at UT, you’re gonna have issues no matter what. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Wait. You’re telling me Tom Herman lacks the ability to self-scout and wrongly assigns blame and causality for the mistakes in the program? That can’t be right...