Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Happy Friday! Everyone get excited for settling on mid 3-star skill players early in the cycle! 

Burton has been excited about Brooks for months.  He was gushing about Brooks back when Roach was still heavy-breathing into his laptop mic on the podcasts.

Cain has a couple of nice downfield blocks in that hudl.  So thats nice.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait. You’re telling me Tom Herman lacks the ability to self-scout and wrongly assigns blame and causality for the mistakes in the program? That can’t be right...

Yeah. I’m glad Herman made a lot of changes that needed to be made, but I have zero confidence whatsoever that he’s actually critically assessed and identified the issues with his program. He just swapped out a bunch of deck chairs and is now hoping it will work. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sam saying we’re back had nothing to do with the culture falling apart.

We had incompetent coaches at almost every position. Full stop. When Todd Orlando is using every guy on the defense incorrectly and Drew Mehringer plays favorites with a guy who doesn’t even deserve having a scholarship at UT, you’re gonna have issues no matter what. 

Yeah. I know. I'm just saying expectations were justifiably high and we tripped over our own dicks because that's what we've done for the last decade and a half.

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn't they just get Hudson Card and Ja'Quinden Jackson in a 2 QB class?  Both were top 75 composite prospects.

He also got Rising and Thompson to sign in the same class. Don’t blame them for trying again. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

to be fair it was kind of unique with regards to JJ and Texas being willing to let him be a QB

my point is that generally you aren't going to get 2 guys who are that good with a ton of other offers to go play QB somewhere. 

there was nothing about Robertson wanting to come to Texas, loving it there, favorite team, etc - just that they wanted him to be the 2nd QB in their class

What’s the issue? 

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Yeah. I know. I'm just saying expectations were justifiably high and we tripped over our own dicks because that's what we've done for the last decade and a half.

The joys of being a Texas fan in the last decade.

I mainly just wanted to emphasize that I don’t think players getting complacent or thinking we’re back and not working hard had anything to do with it. Our players want to win, they worked their asses off and deal with all of Herman’s stupid bullshit just to be let down by horrible coaching, which is the most infuriating part. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Yep. The discussion was framed as Herman regretting choosing the "higher rated/low character" guys over "lower rated/high character" guys. And my recollection of the Shepherd recruitment was not that we took him instead of someone else. I recall he was a "if he sticks, great. If he doesn't, oh well" because no one really expected him to get his shit together. I don't think we chose him over someone else, or that JS took someone's spot.

So using that as a justification for extending so many offers at WR to three-star under-the-radar dudes is kind of bullshit. It's presupposing that all highly-rated WRs are low-character guys. Which isn't true, even if WRs lean toward premadonnas more than any other position. We can't justify losing out or not pursuing talented players because of an experience with a fat and flaky OL recruit or a WR who hated our dipshit WR coach three years ago. Your culture has to be strong enough to be able to manage these dudes and their egos.

The culture didn't fall apart because of JS. The culture crumbled because "WEEEEEEEEE'RE BAAAAAAAACK" (fucking stupid, Sam) and then we played like shit and the inadequacies of the entire staff on both sides of the ball were exposed and all that hope and optimism vanished like a fart in the wind. 

Every year this board ends up having the same ridiculous argument about star ratings. No one on this board, as far as I can tell, has the stupid aggy mindset that stars don't matter, or that every three star player we sign is under-rated. Go watch the film, says aggy! 

Rather, this board seems to forget math. For example:

1. In any given year there are about 50 4 and 5 star receivers.  This year, according to 247, there are 56.  

2. Texas competes against roughly 9 other schools for top talent all across the country. Those 9 may change from year to year, but roughly that's the number. Each school takes 3-4 receivers, so 40 receivers are split among those 10 programs (3.5 per).

3. Of those 40, maybe half to three-quarters are good character guys, and maybe one quarter have red flags. I base this number purely on an estimate of the number of 4 star busts programs see every year. It might be higher or lower, but it's close enough for government work.  That leaves about 30 good character 4 and 5 star receivers for Texas to target.

4. Now think about how Texas gets three or four of those 30.  They have to like Texas the state.  They have to be comfortable with the location. They have to like the school itself, including its degree programs. They have to like the staff. They have to like the team culture.  They have to find guys they want to be friends with. They want to be competing against other top players. They want to be on TV a lot. They want to be in a position to get accolades and awards. They want to be developed. And biggest of all, they want to go to the school that is winning big.

For all of you whiners about Texas offering 3 stars, look at all of the math above, especially the fact that we haven't won consistently in 10 years and please tell me how you avoid making offers to 3 star players.  Shut up and quit whining. Winning and getting guys drafted is what enables you to consistently take only 4 and 5 star players.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolero88 said:

Presley's hudl is not clearly superior to Cain's, or we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm nonplussed by him and Ketron. I think there are better recievers out there that we haven't even offered. I think we should be offering quite a few more guys this cycle than we normally do. 

I mean, this is all subjective, but I don’t see how someone could consider Presley’s hudl not superior you Cain. They’re not even close.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Every year this board ends up having the same ridiculous argument about star ratings. No one on this board, as far as I can tell, have the stupid aggy mindset that stars don't matter, or that every three star player we sign is under-rated. Go watch the film, says aggy! 

Rather, this board seems to forget math. For example:

1. In any given year there are about 50 4 and 5 star receivers.  This year, according to 247, there are 56.  

2. Texas competes against roughly 9 other schools for top talent all across the country. Those 9 may change from year to year, but roughly that's the number. Each school takes 3-4 receivers, so 40 receivers are split among those 10 programs (3.5 per).

3. Of those 40, maybe half to three-quarters are good character guys, and maybe one quarter have red flags. I base this number purely on an estimate of the number of 4 star busts programs see every year. It might be higher or lower, but it's close enough for government work.  That leaves about 30 good character 4 and 5 star receivers for Texas to target.

4. Now think about how Texas gets three or four of those 30.  They have to like Texas the state.  They have to be comfortable with the location. They have to like the school itself, including its degree programs. They have to like the staff. They have to like the team culture.  They have to find guys they want to be friends with. They want to be competing against other top players. They want to be on TV a lot. They want to be in a position to get accolades and awards. They want to be developed. And biggest of all, they want to go to the school that is winning big.

For all of you whiners about Texas offering 3 stars, look at all of the math above, especially the fact that we haven't won consistently in 10 years and please tell me how you avoid making offers to 3 star players.  Shut up and quit whining. Winning and getting guys drafted is what enables you to consistently take only 4 and 5 star players.

I think the issue is that people think there are 3 stars out there with better film/measureables/what-have-you. The range of ability within the 3 star rating is VAST (look at Garza being rated above King at TE for example).

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I mean, this is all subjective, but I don’t see how someone could consider Presley’s hudl not superior you Cain. They’re not even close.

Presley looks faster, and might be a better athlete overall, but he doesn't show very good footwork setting up the DB. Cain has great footwork, as does M. Jackson. Presley also only runs go routes and screens. Cain runs quite a few different routes and shows that he is a willing and competent blocker.  There is a lot more to being a good WR than just being fast and athletic. 

3 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Presley looks faster, and might be a better athlete overall, but he doesn't show very good footwork setting up the DB. Cain has great footwork, as does M. Jackson. Presley also only runs go routes and screens. Cain runs quite a few different routes and shows that he is a willing and competent blocker.  There is a lot more to being a good WR than just being fast and athletic. 

Cain doesn’t separate and fights the ball 

4 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Pretty much this.  He does make some pretty incredible contested catches.  Of course the next question is 'why are all of his catches contested?'.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Since you quote my post, I assume you're suggesting I'm whining about offering three stars. I'm not. I'm suggesting that offering, pursuing, and settling for second tier players on your board because tier 1 has a lot of "character issues" is fucking loser-ass lazy-man's bullshit. If you like a three star more than a four star because of what you see on tape or how you think that player would fit in your offense, fucking go for it! But that wasn't how the discussion was framed. It was "Tom Herman has learned his lesson with the Shepherd experience so he doesn't want to pursue higher-rated players who have character concerns because he thinks he can identify talent in under-the-radar dudes because TH is a genius". As stated earlier, it's not binary. That's nonsense. Get the best guys you can get who are the best fit for your offense regardless of rankings. Get them to buy in. If they don't, then get rid of them. Learn to adapt instead of insisting that everyone bend to your will. Cut ties when you have to. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas a 'great fit' for Florida wide receiver Jaden Alexis

Hide contents

Texas a 'great fit' for Florida wide receiver Jaden Alexis

MikeRoach

Contact between Jaden Alexis and Texas has been heating up.

The three-star wide receiver from Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch has been in constant communication with the Texas staff via zoom meetings and virtual tours. Andre Coleman is doing the heavy lifting, but Alexis said that offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and Tom Herman are also frequently involved.

"I've talked to coach Coleman mostly," Alexis said. "I've talked to coach Yurcich a few times and coach Herman here and there whenever he's free. The message to me is just how great of a fit I'll be. My skill level and the things I can do with the ball in my hands. It fits perfect, whether it's the slot or playing outside. They want to allow me to play both inside and outside and be a very productive player on the field for them."

Virtual tours are the new norm in a COVID-19 world. Despite never visiting, Alexis said he's been able to learn about Austin through the tours and his own research.

"I've learned a lot," he said. "I definitely got a chance to look at all the facilities and all the great things they have there in Texas. The money that they put into things is just really awesome to see. I got a little rundown of the city.

"I've even done a little research of my own about the city. I've watched videos and got to see the things that are around there. I really got a full feel of everything that's in Austin and around Austin and how great the city is. I got to meet the strength coach and see how they go about their weight room. It's just been a really in-depth virtual tour with them. It covered all spots for me."

For Alexis, academics are a priority. Texas has one of the top business programs in the country and, they are using that as a point in their favor.

"That's definitely been pushed," he said. "For me, academics are important. At the end of the day, football is going to be over at some point. Hopefully, that's later than early, but one thing I do want is to be able to go to a school where I can get a great education and have those connections.

"That's one thing pitch-wise that they gave to me is how great the Texas alumni is and the things and people I'll be exposed to. I'll be able to build those connections so later on after football, or even during football, I'll have an opportunity to get a degree that's weighted in gold."

Alexis doesn't have any official list of top schools, but he said Texas is high.

"I don't have an official top schools list that I've put out," he said. "They are top five, top three, or top two for me. They are one of the lead running schools for me. Just everything about them is a great fit for me."

Over the last few weeks, Texas commits have been in contact with him. Alexis said he's enjoyed getting to know two of the Longhorns' vocal recruiters.

"I've talked to Jalen Milroe and Landen King," he said. "Those are great guys right there."

Several other schools are standing out for Alexis right now as well.

"In no particular order, it's Georgia, Miami, Texas, Kentucky and Georgia Tech. They are all great schools."

The coronavirus pandemic changed the face of recruiting. Athletes are now committing without ever visiting. Alexis said he's preparing for the worst and hoping for the best with visits. He knows he may have to decide on a school without ever seeing it for himself.

"For me, I kind of already look at it like we are not going to be able to take visits," he said. "That's why I'm kind of taking my time to be able to see the schools. The virtual tour with Texas, those things are the things I know will be great in the long one because I'm almost positive I won't be able to take an official visit in this cycle of recruiting.

"For me, it's all about making sure I'm taking my own time and researching my own things. I'm just looking up videos or aerial shots on Google Maps so I can get a great feel of what's around me and things like that."

Alexis doesn't have a timeline at the moment. His only focus is on making the right choice.

"Time-wise, I'm just trying to play it slow," Alexis said. "We've got seven months until signing day, and that is a long time. It's not a lot but for me it is. A lot of things can change and I just want to make sure that once I make that decision whether it's in a month, two months, or five-six-seven months away, I just want to make sure I'm one-hundred percent with it. I don't plan on de-committing from anywhere I commit to. It's going to be set in stone and that's where I'm signing."

Alexis visited local programs like Miami, but he said that won't be a factor against Texas. The tours from the staff and the Longhorn Network have been huge tools in helping Alexis become acquainted with the program.

"Absolutely not," he said. "That's why I think Texas is special in that way. Sure, I haven't been able to see it, but the opportunities they've given me to do virtual tours and even having their own network is big. I've been able to sit there and watch their inside access episodes and things like that to feel like I'm getting everything I can out of this process with them.

"I'm not afraid to make a decision without seeing it first because I know what's in Austin because I've seen it virtually. It would be great if I got a chance to see it in person and feel the vibes, but I really feel comfortable with them."

At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Alexis is ranked as the No. 71 wide receiver in the nation and No. 66 overall prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports Composite.

This dude is already enrolling if Roach is going to write that big of a write up on him

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Thought Brooks was supposed to announce at 12:00 this afternoon?

(Cain and Smith at 3:00 and 3:10 respectively, according to the 247 commitment schedule page ... )

He never set a time. I think the page just defaults to noon if there isn't one.

Listened to 4th and 5, shout out @OnAComputer 

Some takeaways

-Blackwell is going to be a beast, the measurable and tape are for sure there, dude is squatting 550 at 200lbs, dude is going to get some weight and that speed with be serious, compared him to Kenneth Murray.

-Turner has OU surging in his recruitment and LSU is definitely a player..but Texas still in it. Terrell being a coach at Desoto should definitely have the inside info going forward

-Evans reached out a couple weeks before he committed and Texas had no interest, didnt even respond to him

-Also Darius Terrell is fantastic on the podcast, really good insight...Will you're ok...dont listen to everyone calling you the Hamm of Texas recruiting, pure conjecture!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Listened to 4th and 5, shout out @OnAComputer 

Some takeaways

-Blackwell is going to be a beast, the measurable and tape are for sure there, dude is squatting 550 at 200lbs, dude is going to get some weight and that speed with be serious, compared him to Kenneth Murray.

-Turner has OU surging in his recruitment and LSU is definitely a player..but Texas still in it. Terrell being a coach at Desoto should definitely have the inside info going forward

-Evans reached out a couple weeks before he committed and Texas had no interest, didnt even respond to him

-Also Darius Terrell is fantastic on the podcast, really good insight...Will you're ok...dont listen to everyone calling you the Hamm of Texas recruiting, pure conjecture!

I've never been more insulted in my life.

• Haha 1

Just now, OnAComputer said:

I've never been more insulted in my life.

Hey, it wasn't me...I am only sharing what I hear from others. But Taylor Hamm has a lot going for him, consistently makes 6 figs, gets to spend his day in the sunshine in a pool around million dollar homes,  gets to live his life as a bachelor and not to mention is the top recruiting analyst in the game...if anything it should be a compliment

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

In the Cain commit thread. Eric is salty today

spacer.png

Jesus Christ, I get that it's an underwhelming commit, and he should absolutely feel free to express why in an article, but immediately being a salty little bitch on someone's big day is pretty shitty.

• Like 7

Just now, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ, I get that it's an underwhelming commit, and he should absolutely feel free to express why in an article, but immediately being a salty little bitch on someone's big day is pretty shitty.

Yep.. and they (IT) were quiet after all that Jackson kool-aide pumping Texas talk they did before he committed to LSU