Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

I know I’m not saying something that is already well known but with how recruiting is going right now, this is probably the most important year in the last 5–10 years to show we can play with the big boys. I feel like we have the players(maybe a few weak positions), senior-heisman candidate, and new schemes. It’s there and people know it. Sadly can see this class being top 20, but can also see a top 5. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ, I get that it's an underwhelming commit, and he should absolutely feel free to express why in an article, but immediately being a salty little bitch on someone's big day is pretty shitty.

Yep, we get onto aggy, froggy and sooner about being recruiter fanboy asshats and then we get nahlin's diaper leakage.  Cain recognized the value in a Texas offer and committed.  Kudos to him and welcome to the 40.  Whatever our diaper queens queef about regarding 17 year old is their own views and not those of a serious adult UT grad.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Will doing his Wescott impersonation now. That’s only marginally better than Hamm.

I don’t feel like Landon Jackson was ever really in our “grasp”. We spent a year thinking he was going to aggy.

Wrong Jackson.  Donovan Jackson was in our grasp until we shit the bed.

This year could be OU's best Dline haul with Smith, Burris and potentially that kid from VA whom Drumm just put in CB (yeah he does that all the time) but they can advertise the fact that Murray got drafted 1st round and Gallimore 3rd round and there's plenty of playing time open.  Texas needs to crush OU this season to stop the cancer from spreading.

3 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

This year could be OU's best Dline haul with Smith, Burris and potentially that kid from VA whom Drumm just put in CB (yeah he does that all the time) but they can advertise the fact that Murray got drafted 1st round and Gallimore 3rd round and there's plenty of playing time open.  Texas needs to crush OU this season to stop the cancer from spreading.

Doesn't matter, OU will never have a good defense with Riley in charge. It's not in his nature to care about that side of the ball.

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So the team who is in the playoffs every year is selling "playing time" over the team that has been in the fucking gutter for a decade?

Damn.

I’m not sure I buy the playing time angle, he’s a pass rusher not a quarterback, there’s room for more than one to play. If he’s good, he’d play immediately here too. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Doesn't matter, OU will never have a good defense with Riley in charge. It's not in his nature to care about that side of the ball.

Just because they'll never be peak Alabama on defense doesn't mean that getting talented players doesn't make them better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

I’m not sure I buy the playing time angle, he’s a pass rusher not a quarterback, there’s room for more than one to play. If he’s good, he’d play immediately here too. 

But it's not up to you to buy. It's up to 16/17/18 year olds. They buy playing time, and they buy how many players you're putting into the NFL. Then there are the few who truly bet on themselves as being the difference in both. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

But it's not up to you to buy. It's up to 16/17/18 year olds. They buy playing time, and they buy how many players you're putting into the NFL. Then there are the few who truly bet on themselves as being the difference in both. 

I don’t think Smith is stupid and kids that talented rarely lack confidence. He knows he can play here quickly too. The NFL thing is of course valid, and much likely a bigger reason for him choosing OU than this idea that he was running away because of our depth chart, which outside of Ossai, isn’t even proven.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just because they'll never be peak Alabama on defense doesn't mean that getting talented players doesn't make them better. 

They have been getting talented players on defense since Riley has been there and always under Stoops. The Air-Raid is not conducive to a Top 50 defense consistently.

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wrong Jackson.  Donovan Jackson was in our grasp until we shit the bed.

He was NEVER coming to UT. EVER. He was only ever going to Ohio State. Once he got that offer his recruitment was over but even if he hadn't gotten that one, he still would not have gone to Texas. 

9 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So the team who is in the playoffs every year is selling "playing time" over the team that has been in the fucking gutter for a decade?

Damn.

OU only has 38 scholarship players on the roster on defense for 2020,. They have had massive attrition on that side of the ball and their defensive depth chart is wide ass open.  The issues that will face them are well known to Longhorn fans, esp along the LOS, They are going to have to keep putting FR directly on the 2-deep and they are now entering year of 2 of Bennie Wylie as their S&C coach.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don’t think Smith is stupid and kids that talented rarely lack confidence. He knows he can play here quickly too. The NFL thing is of course valid, and much likely a bigger reason for him choosing OU than this idea that he was running away because of our depth chart, which outside of Ossai, isn’t even proven.

We're just being out-recruited. There's no spin about the NFL, playing time, none of that. Any program can negatively recruit any program, and for blOU to pull in elite defensive recruits means our staff got worked.

There is no tangible evidence that the blOU defense is a better landing spot, except that the defense might get carried to the playoff by their offense and get 70 hung on them in primetime. *good luck with that*

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Since you quote my post, I assume you're suggesting I'm whining about offering three stars. I'm not. I'm suggesting that offering, pursuing, and settling for second tier players on your board because tier 1 has a lot of "character issues" is fucking loser-ass lazy-man's bullshit. If you like a three star more than a four star because of what you see on tape or how you think that player would fit in your offense, fucking go for it! But that wasn't how the discussion was framed. It was "Tom Herman has learned his lesson with the Shepherd experience so he doesn't want to pursue higher-rated players who have character concerns because he thinks he can identify talent in under-the-radar dudes because TH is a genius". As stated earlier, it's not binary. That's nonsense. Get the best guys you can get who are the best fit for your offense regardless of rankings. Get them to buy in. If they don't, then get rid of them. Learn to adapt instead of insisting that everyone bend to your will. Cut ties when you have to. 

I don't think there is actually any disagreement here but you either mis-interpreted my post or are referencing someone elses.  Here is exactly what I posted:

Dbeasy: What Herman didn’t say, but has been said privately, is that they had some choices in the last two cycles between higher potential players with some character questions vs slightly lower rated players with fewer character issues and they regretted going with the recruits with character risks. I won’t name any specific names but there’s one very large player you can guess.

And your response was:

Irishtexas: Yep. The discussion was framed as Herman regretting choosing the "higher rated/low character" guys over "lower rated/high character" guys.... I'm suggesting that offering, pursuing, and settling for second tier players on your board because tier 1 has a lot of "character issues" is fucking loser-ass lazy-man's bullshit.

My post says nothing about taking lesser guys. Your post is the one that has assumed we are taking lesser guys.  You framed it that way, not me.  It's all good. I'm headed for the bar.

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We're just being out-recruited. There's no spin about the NFL, playing time, none of that. Any program can negatively recruit any program, and for blOU to pull in elite defensive recruits means our staff got worked.

There is no tangible evidence that the blOU defense is a better landing spot, except that the defense might get carried to the playoff by their offense and get 70 hung on them in primetime. *good luck with that*

I’m with you on this. I do think draft picks matter, but I’m against the sugar coating. Smith was just a loss.

Just looking at the 2018/2019 classes, and including Leibrock in the group of receivers, we have

- 5 receivers with composites within the top 104 in the country (Whittington, Eagles, Smith, Moore, Woodard)

- and 8 within the top 169 (add Black, Washington and Leibrock)

Yeah, most are short on experience, but they have some pretty highly rated / talented guys on the roster.  Coleman has not yet started delivering on the recruiting trail;  he better get these guys to produce on the field.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You're a masochist today, dude. Gotta get you off those poison OBs boards, they're affecting your generally sunny disposition.

I like Blackwell, I just think that Cooks is much more similar in style 

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Will doing his Wescott impersonation now. That’s only marginally better than Hamm.

I don’t feel like Landon Jackson was ever really in our “grasp”. We spent a year thinking he was going to aggy.

Sorry I look at the bad things as well as the good things. I am also not the only one of Twitter voicing this.

Also I think Jackson was a lot closer to choosing Texas until it became LSU.

There are also a few guys that will drop that will boost Texas' class. It just sucks they couldn't pull those guys in because they were leaning Texas hard at one point or another.

I am super hyped about Jonathon Brooks. That kid is being slept on hard.
There are other guys out there for Texas. I think Shemar Turner is a beast (thought so before I started a show with DT).
Texas is doing a good job of looking past the stars and finding guys.
I will be honest, though. No clue what is going on with WR recruiting.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

@OnAComputer and @satyanash deserve each other on a podcast called The State of Texas so they can describe the Carnage of a post apocalyptic 40 acres  

As much as @satyanash gets bagged on here (and rightfully so), your obsession with him over the last few weeks is disturbing. That and your inability to spell any recruits' names properly. It's Mukuba, NOT Makuba.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

OU only has 38 scholarship players on the roster on defense for 2020,. They have had massive attrition on that side of the ball and their defensive depth chart is wide ass open.  The issues that will face them are well known to Longhorn fans, esp along the LOS, They are going to have to keep putting FR directly on the 2-deep and they are now entering year of 2 of Bennie Wylie as their S&C coach.

This. How do you think they won Bryson Washington? There is a reason he believed the DC when they told him, "Everybody here sucks. Come play right away."

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

In 2018 they signed five 4 star dlinemen in Michael Thompson, Ron Tatum, Ronnie Perkins, Jalen Redmond, and Jordan Kelley. Thompson got hurt, moved to offense then transferred. Tatum transferred. Perkins has been good but got suspended for the Peach Bowl probably for failing a drug test. Redmond has been pretty good. Kelley has been mostly injured.

Point being, they've signed really good DL classes in the very recent past. Recruiting them hasn't really been their problem. 

16 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

I will be honest, though. No clue what is going on with WR recruiting.

I know, we have a coach that was an analyst with little ties to the region. However, I think his chops as a coach are actually good. Texas needs big seasons from Eagles, Moore, Smith, and Whittington.

You have to look at his success at KSU with guys like Lockett, Curry Sexton, Pringle, Zuber, and Schoen in heavy run based offenses, and like his chances at bringing out the best of a talented yet inexperienced WR room.

Edited by HtownHorn

(Mike Roach) What I think and what I know: Thoughts on Brooks and Cain

Texas landed two more pieces of the 2021 class today, and both require some projection. While they won’t necessarily make headline news, both players have some value. I spoke with several sources around the country to get different perspectives on each player.

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville

What I think: I’ve been trying to get a handle on Brooks since Texas offered him last fall. Offering a small-school prospect first at Texas makes a statement, and what happens after the offer is what matters most. Watching film on Brooks, it’s easy to see some traits to love. The initial burst, vision and feel for running in traffic are things you cannot teach. His vision is some of the best I’ve seen at the high school level. When he makes his read and plants his foot, he’s incredibly explosive. He also appears to have the frame to add on weight and run with great power. His level of competition isn’t great, and he doesn’t show any freaky traits, but there are a lot of tools to like.

What I know: As I said earlier, the only thing that matters more than a big school being the first to offer Brooks is what they do afterwards. What have they done with Brooks? Texas has been recruiting him like a priority since the moment they offered. Stan Drayton has been in heavy contact with daily contact and weekly zoom calls. This tells me that Texas made and trusted its evaluation and trusted it regardless of what other schools did.  One source I spoke to outside of Austin likened Brooks to Keatontay Ingram with a similar style and build.  I spoke with personnel folks at a few other regional power schools who said they really loved what Brooks brought to the table, but they figured it was a lost cause after Texas offered first. The spring was going to be crucial for my personal evaluation of Brooks. The ability to see him in camps, track and field and in football workouts would give me a much better idea of his ability, and the same goes for college coaches. Right now, he’s a lottery ticket for Texas and we will get a better idea in the fall.

Casey Cain, WR, New Orleans (LA) Warren Easton

What I think: If you ignore Cain’s offer list and ranking and watch the film, you see encouraging traits. At somewhere between 6-foot-2 and 6-foot-3, Cain has the size Texas covets on the outside and great length. He seems to control that large frame well, and I love the way he catches the ball. Cain plucks it out of the air with soft hands, and he tracks it incredibly well. He shows the ability to make plays in traffic and win contested balls. He doesn’t have the sudden ability you look for in receivers, but neither did Collin Johnson. I’ve seen some concerned Cain can be easily jammed at the line, but I’m not sure I buy that. Beating press is often more about the feet and release than it is about athleticism, and Cain shows some really clean feet.

What I know: Warren Easton is one of the top schools in New Orleans. It is nearly impossible for a prospect to be hidden or under the radar at that program. From talking to SEC personnel folks, Cain was on boards as somewhere between the fourth and ninth best receiver in Louisiana depending who you talk to. One SEC West source told me that Cain was definitely on their board and set for an evaluation this spring. I’m not sure the lack of spring ball hurt Cain as much as it did Brooks, but it’s clear schools were interested in seeing him this spring.

Final thought: I think it’s almost impossible to judge these takes in a vacuum. Had Texas landed their top targets and added these two prospects at the end of a class to top it off, the perspective would look much different. I think it’s important to take the entire position group into consideration once the class is wrapped up. Both of these players have traits you can build on and neither is close to their max as prospects. I’ll reserve judgment until I can see both live and see the class that builds around them.

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In heavy run based offenses, the wrs get a lot more single coverage as defenses allocate more personnel to run stopping, especially when the qb is also a frequent ball carrier. His job there may have been made easier due to scheme. 

Curry Sexton was a 2 star - 0.7556

Tyler Lockett was a 3 star - 0.8497

Isaiah Zuber was a 3 star - 0.8406

Dalton Schoen was a NA

Byron Pringle was a 3 star - 0.8576

It's not like these guys were super stars, but through development all of them were successful WRs in the Big 12.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Curry Sexton was a 2 star - 0.7556

Tyler Lockett was a 3 star - 0.8497

Isaiah Zuber was a 3 star - 0.8406

Dalton Schoen was a NA

Byron Pringle was a 3 star - 0.8576

It's not like these guys were super stars, but through development all of them were successful WRs in the Big 12.

Hoping Yurcich comes thru as evaluator as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Just some other thoughts why a kid from Texarkana might choose blOU instead of Texas

• Quicker path to playing time
  • blOU's damn recent B12 dominance
  • Gallimore drafted by Dallas Cowboys
  • Texarkana smaller town like Norman
  • Norman 90 miles closer for family and friends to travel
  • Fuck You 1

(Nick Harris) Weekly Statewide Synopsis: In-state powers going out-of-state

Out-of-State Commits Coming In

On Friday afternoon, the Texas Longhorns landed their first commit of the 2021 class from outside the Lone Star State as Warren Easton (La.) three-star wide receiver Casey Cain committed to the burnt orange. This is part of a trend we've been seeing with in-state schools over the course of the last month as the Longhorns join Texas A&M, Texas Tech and North Texas as schools with out-of-state commitments in the last 30 days.

Texas has been busy with out-of-state offers and is in a good position with three-star wide receiver Jaden Alexis from Monarch (Fla.), and they continue to pursue a number of recruits on the west coast in California and Arizona. A couple of hours east in College Station, Texas A&M went over 1,500 miles north to land four-star defensive end Jahzion Harris from Brooklyn Erasmus Hall (NY) before coming back down the east coast to land three-star linebacker Kaci Seegers from Williams Amos Hough (NC).

Baylor has ventured out-of-state for two commits, but the Bears have stayed mostly regional as they have in recent years. David Aranda's staff pulled three-star cornerback Tevin Williams out of Stillwater (Okla.) before grabbing Sandia (NM) defensive end Sam Carrell the next day. With notable recruits in the state of Texas leaving the Lone Star State, is this a trend we could continue seeing in the coming months? It's possible.

As in-state targets leave for the LSU's or Virginia Tech's of the world, coaching staffs are having to expand their board to a variety of locations across the country, and in TCU's case to Germany for their three-star quarterback commit Alexander Honig. Here are a list of the rest of out-of-state recruits currently committed to in-state FBS schools:

WR Chase Jackson, Choctaw (Okla.) - TCU

DT Soloman Wright, Vian (Okla.) - Texas Tech

QB Trent Battle, Daphne (Ala.) - TCU

QB Bryce Drummond, Pawhuska (Okla.) - North Texas

OT Faaeanuu Pepe, Orange Lutheran (Cali.) - Rice

Recruit of the Week: 2022 WR Randy Masters

Shadow Creek's Randy Masters has seen a meteoric rise in the time since his big state championship game performance for the Sharks in 2019 as 12 of his 16 offers have come since the conclusion of his sophomore season. Masters has really begun to heat up in the May as he has added Auburn, Kansas, TCU, Oregon and Baylor this month. "Everything for sure is exciting right now," Masters said. "Recruitment for me is going very well. I’ve been working hard and it’s finally showing."

Masters is continuing to improve during the coronavirus lockdown and is also looking forward to getting back to the field in 2020 to grow his offer list. "I'm now laid back working out two times a day and enjoying my recruitment while I wait to see when the next time we get in pads and play the season," he said. "Ready to show the world how dangerous and athletic I am on the field."

Best Thing I Saw This Week

The coronavirus shutdown has provided recruits with a big load of free time, and most have been using it to their advantage with multiple workouts a day. A couple of those recruits that to seem to be thriving during this time are Duncanville four-star linebacker Kendrick Blackshire and Dallas Skyline three-star safety Isaiah Nwokobia.

Blackshire posted a picture of him with Nwokobia and Skyline linebacker Charles Minnieweather on Twitter and all three of them look absolutely massive. There is little doubt that either of these three kids will be in shape whenever they are able to return to the field as they continue to work during this time.

Commitments in Texas since May 10

WR Michael Murray, Lampasas - New Mexico

CB Hunter Washington, Katy - Florida State: A high target for some out-of-state schools, Washington locked things down and committed to the Seminoles on Tuesday. He will look to pull in 2022 defensive back Bobby Taylor to Florida State as well.

ATH Raymond Gray, Red Oak - Oklahoma State

S Cinque Williams, Southlake Carroll - Hawaii

RB Jonathon Brooks, Hallettsville - Texas: A name to keep an eye on in 2020, Texas took advantage of the early evaluation and offer and it paid off on Friday afternoon with the commitment from Brooks. After averaging almost ten yards per carry on 138 attempts in 2019, Brooks will look for even bigger numbers in his senior year with the Brahmas.

LB Clayton Smith, Texas High - Oklahoma: A player that was trending towards Texas a couple of months back, Oklahoma swooped in and landed the four-star linebacker on Friday afternoon to cap off a huge day for the Sooners. Smith is one of the more athletic linebackers in the state and has huge potential at the next level.

Scheduled: WR Elijah Bean, Summer Creek - Friday at 7:30 p.m.

• Like 1