Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Probably not a bad thing.  Presley and Cain are similar types.  We need some speed guys like Alexis, K. Jackson, ect.  Curious if Cain/Presley was whoever wanted to commit first or maybe they liked Cain more??

That's what I'm wondering.

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Probably not a bad thing.  Presley and Cain are similar types.  We need some speed guys like Alexis, K. Jackson, ect.  Curious if Cain/Presley was whoever wanted to commit first or maybe they liked Cain more??

We offered Presley over two months ago, and the $9.95-ers have all but outright said he and Ketron Jackson were the main targets on our WR board ever since our chances fell off with Earle and Knox. We offered Cain three weeks ago, and the $9.95-ers' reactions have ranged from lukewarm to barely mentioning him.

Seems pretty evident that a) Presley was higher on our board and b) the staff took Cain's commitment once they knew Baylor beat us for Presley. But I'm sure we'll see some spin claiming otherwise from the usual suspects, coupled with the usual "But look at all the three-star WRs he had at Kansas State!!1!" take.

Edited by satyanash

7 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Agreed. No pads and all that, but he blew by the poor DBs. Now, those DBs may not have the stellar offer list Cain has...

One undersized, slow-footed DB, one overmatched linebacker prospect, and two safeties with average looking athleticism

It's easier to see his tools in that vid though

Edited by Atticus

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just some other thoughts why a kid from Texarkana might choose blOU instead of Texas

• Quicker path to playing time
  • blOU's damn recent B12 dominance
  • Gallimore drafted by Dallas Cowboys
  • Texarkana smaller town like Norman
  • Norman 90 miles closer for family and friends to travel

I evened up the neg rep you got because nothing you said was untrue. All Lincoln Riley has to do is point to their Big XII championship trophy cabinet and they can get essentially anyone not completely sold on playing in the esheeshee.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We offered Presley over two months ago, and the $9.95-ers have all but outright said he and Ketron Jackson were the main targets on our WR board ever since our chances fell off with Earle and Knox. We offered Cain three weeks ago, and the $9.95-ers' reactions have ranged from lukewarm to barely mentioning him.

Seems pretty evident that a) Presley was higher on our board and b) the staff took Cain's commitment once they knew Baylor beat us for Presley. But I'm sure we'll see some spin claiming otherwise from the usual suspects, coupled with the usual "But look at all the three-star WRs he had at Kansas State!!1!" take.

7H AGO FOOTBALL

Texas lands commitment from Louisiana WR Casey Cain

Sam Spiegelman • Rivals.com
Recruiting Analyst

THE SITUATION

could not hold back from his decision any longer.

Less than a month after landing the coveted offer from the Longhorns, the three-star wide receiver from Warren Easton (La.) committed to Texas.

Cain selected Texas over offers from Virginia, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Houston, Louisiana Tech and Tulane. Texas offered just less than a month ago on April 27 and due to the ongoing NCAA dead period, Cain has yet to visit the Forty Acres.

Cain, the No. 23 overall prospect in The Boot for 2021, is the 10th member of the Longhorns' 2021 recruiting class, which entered the day sitting No. 14 nationally in the Rivals team rankings knocking on the door to crack the top 10. Cain is the first player not from the Lone Star State to join the fray and the first wide receiver in the class.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

"Since they've offered me, they haven't let up. I'm guessing other schools figured they had time, so they came at me a little lazier, but the Texas staff brought nothing but effort since Day 1. They usually don't recruit wide receivers out-of-state, but Mike Yurcich would text me and call me every day. He felt I was a sleeper so I guess that's why they went all out ... I feel good about committing today because I've built a relationship with the staff I'm going to be around most and I feel as if I can trust them."

"Picking a college for the next four years is a difficult task, especially with not being able to visit. But Texas found a way to do that online, along with the whole staff on board. Confidence comes from my preparation. My mom and I have been researching nonstop between my top schools and Texas was a great fit. Coach Yurcich explained specifically how he wanted to use me in his offense, so I couldn't complain. Also, I'm not a big fan of recruiting. I was relieved I found the school for me."

"At Texas, I'll be able to be a back-side receiver or outside receiver where I can win 1-on-1 matchups and force a safety to play over the top because I'm a deep threat. They also plan to move me around, play in the slot, to utilize my route-running."

RIVALS REACTION

Cain is a 6-foot-3, 182-pound vertical threat out of New Orleans powerhouse Warren Easton, which has competed for Class 4A state championships each of the past two Decembers. Cain has been one of those regular contributors for Easton -- as a junior in 2019 on both sides of the ball -- that saw his recruitment take off early on this spring.

Cain is a massive target for any quarterback and you have to factor in a 77-inch wingspan on top of his obvious height advantage. He's also a multi-sport star, competing in basketball and track when he's not playing football. Cain competes in the 200-meter (24.01 seconds), the 110-meter hurdles (16.83 seconds) and 300-meter hurdles (45.45 seconds) in addition to the high-jump and triple-jump and the 4x200-meter relay teams.

Last spring, Cain clocked a 4.71-second 40 time at a regional camp, though there's reason to believe that time has improved over the past year-plus. He consistently stretches the field vertically for the Easton offense and tends to separate more often than not. It is becoming less of a factor for Cain, who is one of the best in the state at coming out on top for contested balls. Cain boasts a fantastic catch radius and improved hands, proving that even when he's covered he can make a play on the ball with a high success rate.

For a bigger-bodied wide receiver, Cain is a dangerous playmaker with the ball in his hands. He's especially agile and makes sharp cuts to keep defenders off-balance in the open field. It's never easy to corral a 6-foot-3 receiver in space and Cain made a habit out of plays after the catch as a junior last fall, which translated to 47 receptions for 934 yards and 12 total touchdowns.

Cain is a mismatch in red-zone situations as well. The combination of height, hands and ability to get vertical over defensive backs is rare and a distinct advantage for his offense. Cain often beats double-teams and makes it look rather seamless. His ability to reel in catches away from his body is another added edge.

One of the biggest cheat codes with Cain is hitting the receiver on a slant over the middle. Easton coaches look that way on critical downs and in the red zone because Cain's ability to make contested grabs in the middle of the field is a surefire go-to option.

It's worth mentioning that Cain is also a willing, effective blocker that'll contribute even when the ball isn't heading his direction. Last year, he saw spot duty at defensive back because of injuries to his high school team and he fared very well. Cain seemed poised for a true breakout season in 2020 after a strong start to the spring. Two areas of his game that'll have to improve are his route-running and continuing to work on his hand catching abilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

I am shocked, shocked(!), you have jumped to the worst possible conclusion as the definite truth

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Hmm... Casey didn't mention his position coach Andre Coleman at all in the Rivals interview. Hopefully Yurcich is right about his assessment of Cain's WR talent.

Casey:  "They (Texas) usually don't recruit wide receivers out-of-state, but Mike Yurcich would text me and call me every day. He felt I was a sleeper so I guess that's why they went all out ... 

Coach Yurcich explained specifically how he wanted to use me in his offense, so I couldn't complain. Also, I'm not a big fan of recruiting. I was relieved I found the school for me... At Texas, I'll be able to be a back-side receiver or outside receiver where I can win 1-on-1 matchups and force a safety to play over the top because I'm a deep threat. They also plan to move me around, play in the slot, to utilize my route-running."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, westexhorn said:

7H AGO FOOTBALL

Texas lands commitment from Louisiana WR Casey Cain

Sam Spiegelman • Rivals.com
Recruiting Analyst

THE SITUATION

could not hold back from his decision any longer.

Less than a month after landing the coveted offer from the Longhorns, the three-star wide receiver from Warren Easton (La.) committed to Texas.

Cain selected Texas over offers from Virginia, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Houston, Louisiana Tech and Tulane. Texas offered just less than a month ago on April 27 and due to the ongoing NCAA dead period, Cain has yet to visit the Forty Acres.

Cain, the No. 23 overall prospect in The Boot for 2021, is the 10th member of the Longhorns' 2021 recruiting class, which entered the day sitting No. 14 nationally in the Rivals team rankings knocking on the door to crack the top 10. Cain is the first player not from the Lone Star State to join the fray and the first wide receiver in the class.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

"Since they've offered me, they haven't let up. I'm guessing other schools figured they had time, so they came at me a little lazier, but the Texas staff brought nothing but effort since Day 1. They usually don't recruit wide receivers out-of-state, but Mike Yurcich would text me and call me every day. He felt I was a sleeper so I guess that's why they went all out ... I feel good about committing today because I've built a relationship with the staff I'm going to be around most and I feel as if I can trust them."

"Picking a college for the next four years is a difficult task, especially with not being able to visit. But Texas found a way to do that online, along with the whole staff on board. Confidence comes from my preparation. My mom and I have been researching nonstop between my top schools and Texas was a great fit. Coach Yurcich explained specifically how he wanted to use me in his offense, so I couldn't complain. Also, I'm not a big fan of recruiting. I was relieved I found the school for me."

"At Texas, I'll be able to be a back-side receiver or outside receiver where I can win 1-on-1 matchups and force a safety to play over the top because I'm a deep threat. They also plan to move me around, play in the slot, to utilize my route-running."

RIVALS REACTION

Cain is a 6-foot-3, 182-pound vertical threat out of New Orleans powerhouse Warren Easton, which has competed for Class 4A state championships each of the past two Decembers. Cain has been one of those regular contributors for Easton -- as a junior in 2019 on both sides of the ball -- that saw his recruitment take off early on this spring.

Cain is a massive target for any quarterback and you have to factor in a 77-inch wingspan on top of his obvious height advantage. He's also a multi-sport star, competing in basketball and track when he's not playing football. Cain competes in the 200-meter (24.01 seconds), the 110-meter hurdles (16.83 seconds) and 300-meter hurdles (45.45 seconds) in addition to the high-jump and triple-jump and the 4x200-meter relay teams.

Last spring, Cain clocked a 4.71-second 40 time at a regional camp, though there's reason to believe that time has improved over the past year-plus. He consistently stretches the field vertically for the Easton offense and tends to separate more often than not. It is becoming less of a factor for Cain, who is one of the best in the state at coming out on top for contested balls. Cain boasts a fantastic catch radius and improved hands, proving that even when he's covered he can make a play on the ball with a high success rate.

For a bigger-bodied wide receiver, Cain is a dangerous playmaker with the ball in his hands. He's especially agile and makes sharp cuts to keep defenders off-balance in the open field. It's never easy to corral a 6-foot-3 receiver in space and Cain made a habit out of plays after the catch as a junior last fall, which translated to 47 receptions for 934 yards and 12 total touchdowns.

Cain is a mismatch in red-zone situations as well. The combination of height, hands and ability to get vertical over defensive backs is rare and a distinct advantage for his offense. Cain often beats double-teams and makes it look rather seamless. His ability to reel in catches away from his body is another added edge.

One of the biggest cheat codes with Cain is hitting the receiver on a slant over the middle. Easton coaches look that way on critical downs and in the red zone because Cain's ability to make contested grabs in the middle of the field is a surefire go-to option.

It's worth mentioning that Cain is also a willing, effective blocker that'll contribute even when the ball isn't heading his direction. Last year, he saw spot duty at defensive back because of injuries to his high school team and he fared very well. Cain seemed poised for a true breakout season in 2020 after a strong start to the spring. Two areas of his game that'll have to improve are his route-running and continuing to work on his hand catching abilities.

Oh, ok sam. So he’s basically a perfect 5 star prospect. 

I will second that if we land Ibraheem today, that’s a pretty big cause for celebration. Would be a big boost at a need position, and a ratings boost for a class that regardless of how we feel about the upside of some guys is looking a bit Mrs. Bairdsy at the moment. I’ll take Coffey too. We might be needing safety bodies sooner than later. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Should keep recruiting Andrew Jones ever we land Cooks 

ah.. i forgot about him, but point stands with Cooks.  Hope it's him and we have the LB position set, with hopefully a shot at Jones as the cherry on top?

I agree with Sydney, Ibraheem would be really big, especially after how it seemed he was gone out of state from late last year and early this year recruiting tidbits.

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

Its possible to offer a player later in the year and have him higher on your board than a player you offered earlier.

I'm not saying that happened here - but the idea that we had Pressley higher on our board because we offered him earlier isn't much of an argument.

And isn't it pretty much canon at this point that the 9.95'ers don't have a clue regarding Herman and this staff's evaluations?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 2