Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Comparing everyone to Sturdivant is a bit misleading. 

He's ranked 13 in the state, is the top uncommitted WR and is a name that several people have brought up when pointing out that we should've offered and when bitching about Cain. 

Even in your examples, Knox is fast as shit in a straight line but he's 167 pounds and had a fucking 4.71 shuttle. I mean, did he fall down? Did he run it backwards?  if he can't change direction any better than that he's only going to be capable of go routes and screens. In last year's class he'd be MUCH further down the line. Brady Boyd tests exceptionally well right now, but is likely topped out athletically as he probably has been working with speed, strength, and agility trainers since he was 8. No hyperbole. I think Bean is a good project, but to my earlier point - is he a screaming take? Does Texas not landing him impact your view of WR recruiting? Do you think he'd have ranked as highly in the 2020 class of WRs? Do you think he's markedly better than Cain and/or Ketron Jackson? Maybe. I'd be totally cool with that view but I don't think it's a given. 

the distance between ANY of these guys and a guy like QJ, Demas, Smith-Njigba, or even Fouonji is a vast chasm, imo. 

It's just not a good class. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, they are SO locked in on Landon Jackson.

Nahlin and his East Texas horseshit. It's why he's been such a bitch about Smith and Cain. He's going to treat Burris to OU like Texas missed out on Keondre Coburn. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

How many of the Texas WRs this year make you go "Damn, that guy is going to be a problem"? Even on a Loic Fuounji level it's slim pickings.

It's just Earle and Davis. That's what I mean. There's still some reasonable talent, but almost none of it is very exciting.

You're ignoring some guys that we just never had a shot with like Banks and Cody Jackson. Although Banks is looking like a RB/LB these days.

19 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Comparing everyone to Sturdivant is a bit misleading. 

Elijah Bean: 6'5, 185

21.75 200m

Teddy Knox: 5'10, 167

4.42 40m, 10.4 100m

Even Brady Boyd (6'1, 175) tests well with a 4.42 verified and a 4.22 shuttle

How athletic are Hardy and K Jackson, since we seem to be covering all the main second-tier guys?

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Nahlin and his East Texas horseshit. It's why he's been such a bitch about Smith and Cain. He's going to treat Burris to OU like Texas missed out on Keondre Coburn. 

While I don’t disagree with you, it’s Wells who is the East Texas cock gobbler. It’s not an East Texas thing with him, imo. I think he’s just had it with Tom Herman. 

• Like 5

I wonder if any of the uncertainty of the 2021 season with an unproven QB once Sam leaves has an effect with the 2021 WRs.  I mean the 2022 class will see Thompson, Card or JJ winner play out the 21 season before deciding.  Maybe if the 2020 season is really good, maybe then the 21 WRs will give us another look with our new system?

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

You're ignoring some guys that we just never had a shot with like Banks and Cody Jackson. Although Banks is looking like a RB/LB these days.

Banks looks like a LB and doesn't seem relevant at all, in fact he only further proves the point and Cody Jackson ran a 22.2 200 at 167 pounds. He's gonna go for 1000s of yards in that offense, I'm sure but he also doesn't scream take and wouldn't scratch the top tier of 2020.  

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

spacer.png

Yeah. He was all in on Herman when he got here. He’ll, so was I. But I think watching Herman cause unforced error after unforced error really grates on him, and us. Except his job is try and justify it to subscribers. Basically, he’s a fan trying to report and getting frustrated at both professional and personal ends of the Longhorn program. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Maybe if the 2020 season is really good, maybe then the 21 WRs will give us another look with our new system?

The 2022 guys will be more influenced by that, which is good. that class is loaded. Evan Stewart, Bobo Masters, Armani Winfield, Caleb Burton, Jordan Hudson. 

• Like 1

I really like JJ Henry, but if/when we land Alexis, I don't see how he ends up in the class. Herman likes to keep a TE on the field at all times to keep defensive sub packages off the field, which means taking two smaller slot/z types a year after taking two probably (Harrison , Dixon) doesn't make sense, unless one of them is a JoJo Earle flip late

Regarding measureables, I haven't been looking too closely into them since most of the spring camp and track season was taken away from these prospects, and it's normal for kids to test poorly earlier in the spring than later on. Maybe that's a mistake on my part though 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. He was all in on Herman when he got here. He’ll, so was I. But I think watching Herman cause unforced error after unforced error really grates on him, and us. Except his job is try and justify it to subscribers. Basically, he’s a fan trying to report and getting frustrated at both professional and personal ends of the Longhorn program. 

Spot on.

At least with Charlie's ineptitude it was easy to draw the conclusion that "Nope, this isn't it. This will never be it". Tom is much more challenging because you can convince yourself of a lot. I stand by the idea that he's a good bridge from shit to great because he's a little bit of both, but I'd never want to pretend to be objective or pump sunshine based on Tom's decisions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Agreed, and I think the guys at single school sites, like TexAgs, IT or mgoblog tend to get a little more psychotic when things go poorly, since they naturally have some tunnel vision about their own program's flaws.

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

“Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”" -George Carlin

• Like 9

Jeff Howe: Recruiting under Tom Herman has Texas on appropriate trajectory

The Texas football program under head coach Tom Herman is right about where he expected it to be heading into his fourth season on the job. That’s what Herman told Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney during a recent interview on CBS Sports Radio’s Tiki and Tierney when asked to assess where the Longhorns are in terms of their trajectory under Herman following an 8-5 campaign in 2019.

Herman’s organization came into an unsavory situation following the 2016 season. Charlie Strong recruited nine players Herman and Co. developed into NFL draft picks, but while the cupboard wasn’t bare the Longhorns needed a major overhaul from a culture standpoint with the program going through three losing seasons in a row (a 16-21 record) prior to the regime change.

Reflecting on how things have unfolded for the Longhorns following a Sugar Bowl win over Georgia to end the 2018 season with 10 wins and the program’s highest finish in the Associated Press Top 25 poll (No. 9) since 2009, Herman detailed where he sees things standing heading into a summer where virtually every aspect of day-to-day life within his program is either at a standstill or has been drastically altered due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I think we overachieved a little bit in 2018, which is a good thing,” Herman said. “It means that our players were fully bought into our culture to be able to beat Oklahoma in the regular season, come up a few points shy in the conference championship game and then beat a top-five Georgia team in a bowl game and win 10 games in that season.

"We knew we were up against it last year having to replace eight starters on defense and we were going to be young on that side of the ball, and then we got a few key players hurt,” he added. “The criticism would be that we did not develop our young talent last year good enough to where when some of these veteran starters — or at least more experienced starters — went down with injuries that they were capable to step in and play at a championship level.”

Knowing a 7-5 mark in the regular season prior to Texas dismantling Utah in the Alamo Bowl wasn’t good enough for anyone, Herman ultimately swapped out seven assistant coaches (including both coordinator positions with Mike Yurcich hired to run the offense and Chris Ash tabbed to retool the defense) in order to get more out of his squad. If the Longhorns are able to maximize the 2020 roster, and assuming Herman has things headed in the right direction, there’s a feeling from within that Texas could be on the cusp of something special. “I think we all had 2020 kind of circled internally,” Herman said.

The foundation for the current squad was established with a 2017 recruiting class ranked No. 25 nationally by 247Sports, the lowest finish by a Texas class in the 247Sports Composite era. With that said, a class that had to be finalized in a matter of weeks ahead of National Signing Day following the coaching transition was one where the new regime inherited Sam Ehlinger and Ta'Quon Graham among other prospects, but Herman’s organization managed to get a few key pieces into the fold before the dust settled.

“We're going to probably have a first-rounder in Samuel Cosmi at left tackle in that class, we'll have a four-year starter on the offensive line in Derek Kerstetter, we'll have a four-year starter at quarterback, a draft pick at defensive tackle,” Herman said. “That class is certainly not forgotten.”

Not only has Texas been able to get a lot of mileage out of the transition class that bridged the gap from Strong to Herman, but minimal attrition within the 2018 recruiting class has the first full-cycle haul put together by the current regime in a position to give the Longhorns an open window to legitimately contend for the Big 12 title for the next two seasons. Joseph Ossai and Caden Sterns are already viewed as potential high picks as early entrants for the 2021 NFL Draft and with Keaontay Ingram, Brennan Eagles, Junior Angilau, Keondre Coburn, Ayodele Adeoye and B.J. Foster among those entering their third season in the program with significant starting experience, Herman feels Texas will take the field with a championship-caliber roster whenever the coming season gets underway.

“I think when you gave us a full cycle, or we got a full cycle, that Class of '18 is really kind of where we started getting the ball rolling,” Herman said. “We finished top five in the country and every recruiting ranking that there is (No. 3 according to 247Sports) and now those guys are all third-year guys, either true juniors or redshirt sophomores.

“And 2019 was another top-five class,” he added, referring to a haul ranked No. 3 nationally by 247Sports. “Those guys are either true sophomores or redshirt freshmen and now we're bringing in another top-10 class of really talented freshmen. We've got to do a really good job of developing these guys, but we feel like our experience level now, with a four-year starting quarterback and some of these very highly-touted recruits going into their second and third year that we're definitely headed in the right direction.”

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I wonder if any of the uncertainty of the 2021 season with an unproven QB once Sam leaves has an effect with the 2021 WRs.  I mean the 2022 class will see Thompson, Card or JJ winner play out the 21 season before deciding.  Maybe if the 2020 season is really good, maybe then the 21 WRs will give us another look with our new system?

Getting an early commitment from Ewers wouldn't hurt WR recruiting either. 

LSU 247 / Steve Wiltfong / Recruiting buzz regarding Top247 DL Shemar Turner

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Recruiting buzz regarding Top247 DL Shemar Turner
BySTEVE WILTFONG

When 247Sports updates its Top247 later this week in the 2021 class, DeSoto (Texas) High defensive lineman Shemar Turner will be one of the big movers.

Who are the big players in this recruitment?

One source close to Turner believes that Alabama has the slight edge right now. Getting a chance to visit with his family in February was a tremendous trip to Tuscaloosa, and the relationship with Freddie Roach along with the player development has put the SEC power in strong standing.

247Sports is also told that Turner is having a lot of great conversations with LSU and that getting to Baton Rouge before deciding is a priority.

Turner’s best relationship may be with Oklahoma defensive line coach Calvin Thibodeaux. Getting to Norman with his mother is something we’re hearing he wants to do.

Texas and Baylor are also in it for the 6-foot-3 1/2, 260-pound Turner who is among the quickest defensive linemen in this 2021 class.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Getting an early commitment from Ewers wouldn't hurt WR recruiting either. 

Yeah, don’t get your hopes up dude. Let me set your expectation level for Ewers appropriately at this time.  We’re going to have to wreck shop in 2020 to the tune of a Big 12 title and maybe a playoff appearance to get Ewers to sniff Texas again. It wouldn’t hurt if Sam can figure out a way to get drafted high. 

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, don’t get your hopes up dude. Let me set your expectation level for Ewers appropriately at this time.  We’re going to have to wreck shop in 2020 to the tune of a Big 12 title and maybe a playoff appearance to get Ewers to sniff Texas again. It wouldn’t hurt if Sam can figure out a way to get drafted high. 

That was said somewhat tongue in cheek,  but having said that this recruitment is not over and for that matter hasn't really even begun given the shutdown.  

The key to this one is going to be the dad. This doesn't put us  in a particularly strong position given our head coach. 

But thanks for being concerned about my expectation level. 

1 minute ago, Laga4 said:

That was said somewhat tongue in cheek,  but having said that this recruitment is not over and for that matter hasn't really even begun given the shutdown.  

The key to this one is going to be the dad. This doesn't put us  in a particularly strong position given our head coach. 

But thanks for being concerned about my expectation level. 

Of course. I like to be helpful. We are currently well behind OU and Alabama. Let’s hope OU gets that QB this class and we win big. 

Herman just needs to call Coach O and nicely ask him what players LSU wants in Texas and then we don’t have to waste our time recruiting them. Can you imagine if our staff was laser focused on guys we know we can land? Arkansas State and U of H would be shaking in their boots while we cherry pick their top targets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

So Roach is saying that Jonah Miller is about to commit to Oregon and he’s worried about where OL recruiting is headed. On top of the piece about having to “trust the coaches evaluations” after landing Cain, sounds like things are going well. 

Yeah it's been like that for a while. Offensive recruiting is kind of in the dumps. Defensive recruiting has some fun stuff going on.

Mike Roach on Jonah Miller

He's been trending to Oregon and just tweeted something is coming at 3PM. It sounds like it could be a commitment. Miller has been adamant about taking visits and making it back to Austin before making a decision, but obviously, that hasn't been the case lately. I'm concerned about where things stand with OL recruiting. Going to try to get into it in the next week with some sort of breakdown.

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

He's been trending to Oregon and just tweeted something is coming at 3PM. It sounds like it could be a commitment. Miller has been adamant about taking visits and making it back to Austin before making a decision, but obviously, that hasn't been the case lately. I'm concerned about where things stand with OL recruiting. Going to try to get into it in the next week with some sort of breakdown.

Hand = most overrated coach on the staff. Coaching and recruiting-wise. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Just land the two legacy brothers and the OL haul is a success. I mean how hard can that be?  Their dad would have to be a total dick to send them elsewhere...right???