Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

This shit is pretty simple for me: Yet again OU embarrassed Texas in the draft. Two first rounders, and both Jrs. From Deep down in Texas.  Three of our guys get taken in the third, all seniors.

Last year a Jr in first and a Jr early in the second for OU. Texas has it's first guy off the board in the 5th round. Yayyyy

Obviously in 2018 Baker gets taken first overall. Just a Texas dude that went to OU and went to the playoffs. No big deal anywhere else, but once he got to Oklahoma....

They got to the playoffs, Texas doesn't. They win Big 12 Championships pretty often, Texas doesn't. 

These kids are eating it up. It's the perfect positive/negative recruiting angle for one of the biggest rivalries in the game, and they hold it.

Hell of an 8-ball to be behind for any coaches Texas might have, recruiting head-to-head with OU right now. They're point blank going to have to win the big 12 and puts some asses in the NFL, early. This could be the year for the latter, for sure, but hopefully also the former. 

Did we give up when Bob Stoops bombed Pearl Harbor several times over?

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I've met Riley on multiple occasions (my wife is friends with Stoop's wife) and the guy is very easy to like.  I imagine he makes a very good impression with recruits. Ironically I have never even shaken Herman's hand let along talked with him. Riley is going to be tougher to recruit against for sure.  

I know Ehlinger hates Tom. That tells me all I need to know.

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Another portion of this that nobody is thinking about, albeit somewhat separate from athletics, is that schools are also largely reducing foreign students which is millions of dollars in housing and tuition.  It's a big deal for state schools.  

I hadn't considered that...but it's a good point. Considering that the university of Iowa is basically is basically a branch of China at this point, this could increasingly be a compounded issue for the school that Greg Davis built. 

Articles from a few years back:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/07/us/culture-clash-american-story/
https://international.uiowa.edu/news/myth-iowa-city’s-luxury-cars
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20160607-a-lust-for-speed-young-rich-and-chinese-in-rural-america

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

We led for him for awhile, and I don't remember OU being mentioned as one of his top schools until just recently, and now they're tossed around as a purported leader? Wheaton to OU makes about us much sense as Satya at a party on Friday night. It really feels like something tangible has changed for OU in the past month. 

OU has been connected with Wheaton since he's visited in the spring. It's basically been SMU, Texas, OU, probably in that order. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I hadn't considered that...but it's a good point. Considering that the university of Iowa is basically is basically a branch of China at this point, this could increasingly be a compounded issue for the school that Greg Davis built. 

Articles from a few years back:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/07/us/culture-clash-american-story/
https://international.uiowa.edu/news/myth-iowa-city’s-luxury-cars
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20160607-a-lust-for-speed-young-rich-and-chinese-in-rural-america

Bigger deal in the UK. 

https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/International/Documents/2019/International facts and figures slides.pdf

In 2017–18, there were 458,490 international students studying at UK higher education institutions, accounting for 19.6% of the total student population in the UK. 14% of all undergraduates and 35.8% of all postgraduates were international.

Schools like Oxford can rely on their endowment, but the rest are pretty fucked. 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Roach says Mukubas news at 4pm is a top schools list of 12-14

I don't think Dabo has ever let anyone commit without visiting first. Hopefully they fill up at safety (might only take one) before Mukuba is able to visit. 

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The takeaway from that is how involved Riley is in recruiting. Just like Orgeron, revitalized Mack, Dabo, and even Saban to an extent.

Supposedly TH tried to get more involved and the returns weren't there. 

Herman helps out early with a couple of recruits a year, and that usually goes well. He also attempts to put out a few fires a year, sometimes when the assistant is going up head to head against a head coach who's been involved in a recruitment for awhile, and by then it's frequently too late. The bottom line is if Orgeron, Dabo, Riley, and Saban are personally involved with a bunch of prospects, Herman should be able to do that too, even if he thinks he shouldn't have to with his recruiting system in place. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Herman helps out early with a couple of recruits a year, and that usually goes well. He also attempts to put out a few fires a year, sometimes when the assistant is going up head to head against a head coach who's been involved in a recruitment for awhile, and by then it's frequently too late. The bottom line is if Orgeron, Dabo, Riley, and Saban are personally involved with a bunch of prospects, Herman should be able to do that too, even if he thinks he shouldn't have to with his recruiting system in place. 

Pretty sure that line right there sums up about 65% of the problems Tom Herman has had as a coach of Texas. Whether it's shit he doesn't think he needs to do to gain an edge, or shit that he has had to do to rectify/compensate for his own shit decisions as a head coach, there's a lot of that shit going around on both side for Herman. He rails at the extra shit he doesn't like doing that more successful coaches do, and last season he ended up having to do a bunch of unnecessary shit because he hired and then retained a bunch of no talent ass-clowns.

We'll see if hiring purportedly competent coaches leads to him doing more with all the extra time he has to "be a head coach" but my general skepticism and early returns on the trail absolutely have me planted smack dab in the middle of Missouri on this one. And as I have said before, I fucking hate Missouri. 

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

I mean Hager is borderline psychotic so meh to that one.

Because he was upset at getting manhandled by a team he’d talked shit about, largely because he played with one arm? And had a crucial penalty? And he’s the son of a UT legend? I’m not saying he was justified for cutting up his hand, but when placed into context it’s not enough to label him psychotic.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think Dabo has ever let anyone commit without visiting first. Hopefully they fill up at safety (might only take one) before Mukuba is able to visit. 

How many of their targets were able to visit, then?  I’d think most are in the same boat as mukuba unless they were close enough for a day drive. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You'd think he'd have the back of a guy who supported him when a lot of coaches wouldn't have.

Well, considering his whole "Won the locker room toinght" bawling after Missouri, and other public gushing statements about Herman, at the very least he's two-faced. Tell me, is deceitful insincerity a sign of being psychotic? Asking for LetYourNutsHand and Hank_Hill. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Folks are prone to making flippant comments and tongue in cheek accusations that they probably don't 100% believe. Especially on a website like

Yea it was like 70% this.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That being said, Hager gave bizarre interviews, cried like a bitch on the sidelines on multiple occasions, was not a great player while being an outspoken penalty machine, and sported the hair of someone not of Polynesian descent or outside of a band should ever, EVER wear in public. For those an other reasons alone, if he wants to call the guy psychotic, well, I can make a case. 

But also 30% this. Some social media examples mixed in as well.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hey new guy, it's a message board. Folks are prone to making flippant comments and tongue in cheek accusations that they probably don't 100% believe. Especially on a website like this one. Maybe you should take that into account when you attempt to measure tone and before you respond with 100% seriousness and intensity to some guy's throw away joke he's probably not all that invested in in the first place. 

You seem fairly invested on the Hager train, so maybe take a deep breath, or maybe consider thickening up your skin a bit while you get the lay of the land before you dive head first into the deep end. Would you have preferred it if he had subbed "wild-man" instead of psychotic?

That being said, Hager gave bizarre interviews, cried like a bitch on the sidelines on multiple occasions, was not a great player while being an outspoken penalty machine, and sported the hair of someone not of Polynesian descent or outside of a band should ever, EVER wear in public. For those an other reasons alone, if he wants to call the guy psychotic, well, I can make a case. 

Lol. Don’t know where to start, but you start off by saying he was joking, then follow that up with justifications for labeling him psychotic. Which one is it? Also, telling someone to chill and then proceeding to write a novel? You’re all over the place

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

Lol. Don’t know where to start, but you start off by saying he was joking, then follow that up with justifications for labeling him psychotic. Which one is it? Also, telling someone to chill and then proceeding to write a novel? You’re all over the place

you mad GIF

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How many of their targets were able to visit, then?  I’d think most are in the same boat as mukuba unless they were close enough for a day drive. 

Their 247 mod listed a bunch of their safety targets the other day, and it seemed like most of them had visited at some point. She said that they had a bunch of them rated more or less the same with potentially only one safety spot in the class, so they were fine waiting and getting more data on the safety recruits 

As far as herman leaving and needing to be replaced, one needs look no further than Oklahoma.  They were not in a great place after shnellenberger and Blake, and they didn’t hire a big name but rather a highly thought of coordinator. That worked. And when he “retired” they elevated a highly thought of coordinator. 
i believe texas’ biggest issue in hiring a head coach has been the process, and maybe the new AD can come up with someone that fits if need be rather than just throw money at the G5 flavor du jour. 

or maybe we go 12-2 and get 6 guys drafted and tom evolves and things are ok. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

Yeah. I pointed out he's probably joking. Then I went all out and said "fuck it" lets go ahead and call that bitch a psycho and see what kind of response I can get out of the new guy. And low and behold I got one. Apparently you're just going to be overly literal and wildly boring. And for the record, that "Novel" took me about 15-30 seconds to type and hit submit. I'm sorry you struggle with reading more than 2-3 sentences at once. That seems like a you problem. 

Listen, this next piece is legitimate advice, offered entirely in good faith. You should consider lurking for a bit, getting to know some of the posters, and observing how things work. But based on early returns, I'm thinking you might find a website like 247 more your speed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Their 247 mod listed a bunch of their safety targets the other day, and it seemed like most of them had visited at some point. She said that they had a bunch of them rated more or less the same with potentially only one safety spot in the class, so they were fine waiting and getting more data on the safety recruits 

Thanks. For me though that begs the question why bother recruiting mukuba if you have a bunch of similarly rated guys that have visited and only one spot allocated?  Seems like inefficient time management, even though dabo obviously knows what he’s doing. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. I pointed out he's probably joking. Then I went all out and said "fuck it" lets go ahead and call that bitch a psycho and see what kind of response I can get out of the new guy. And low and behold I got one. Apparently you're just going to be overly literal and wildly boring. And for the record, that "Novel" took me about 15-30 seconds to type and hit submit. I'm sorry you struggle with reading more than 2-3 sentences at once. That seems like a you problem. 

Listen, this next piece is legitimate advice, offered entirely in good faith. You should consider lurking for a bit, getting to know some of the posters, and observing how things work. But based on early returns, I'm thinking you might find a website like 247 more your speed. 

Thanks for sharing. Here’s my advice to you: stop being a moron.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 14

10 minutes ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

If you're serious about hanging around here, I'd take a step back and better acquaint yourself with the tone of this board before you come in guns a'blazin' like the dude in the bathroom in Pulp Fiction. 

• Like 2

Just now, LetYourNutsHang said:

He said he disliked Herman, as did Sam. I don’t know what is up for discussion.

That the validity of his statements and the reasoning for them is in question because he doesnt seem like the most stable person on the planet. Sams opinion on the other hand is respectable and I'm interested to hear more about that.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As far as herman leaving and needing to be replaced, one needs look no further than Oklahoma.  They were not in a great place after shnellenberger and Blake, and they didn’t hire a big name but rather a highly thought of coordinator. That worked. And when he “retired” they elevated a highly thought of coordinator. 
i believe texas’ biggest issue in hiring a head coach has been the process, and maybe the new AD can come up with someone that fits if need be rather than just throw money at the G5 flavor du jour. 

or maybe we go 12-2 and get 6 guys drafted and tom evolves and things are ok. 

Tom Herman was a highly thought of coordinator at one time. And then a highly thought of head coach. 

If we have to dump TH, I have more confidence in a head coaching hire led by CDC than an interim AD 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Fud said:

• Is this conjecture or fact about Herman 's personal involvement in 2021 recruiting efforts Fud?
  • Curious what makes you believe Herman thinks he shouldn't have to be heavily involved in recruiting like Dabo and Riley?

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty sure that line right there sums up about 65% of the problems Tom Herman has had as a coach of Texas. Whether it's shit he doesn't think he needs to do to gain an edge, or shit that he has had to do to rectify/compensate for his own shit decisions as a head coach, there's a lot of that shit going around on both side for Herman. He rails at the extra shit he doesn't like doing that more successful coaches do, and last season he ended up having to do a bunch of unnecessary shit because he hired and then retained a bunch of no talent ass-clowns.  We'll see if hiring purportedly competent coaches leads to him doing more with all the extra time he has to "be a head coach" but my general skepticism and early returns on the trail absolutely have me planted smack dab in the middle of Missouri on this one. And as I have said before, I fucking hate Missouri. 

No doubt Herman has mismanaged his staff in his first three years -- but what makes you feel like Herman doesn't want to be that involved personally in 2021/2022 recruiting?

--I get it that a lot of Surly is pissed at recent 2021 recruiting, but I'm still waiting until after Texas plays a few games this Fall to decide for sure whether or not Herman is sucking it up again.

--Still a lot of time left for Texas 2021/2022 recruiting.  🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thanks. For me though that begs the question why bother recruiting mukuba if you have a bunch of similarly rated guys that have visited and only one spot allocated?  Seems like inefficient time management, even though dabo obviously knows what he’s doing. 

Clemson goes to the beat of their own drum with a lot of evaluations 

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Is this conjecture or fact about Herman 's personal involvement in 2021 recruiting efforts Fud?
  • Curious what makes you believe Herman thinks he shouldn't have to be heavily involved in recruiting like Dabo and Riley?

It's a multi year occurrence, not just 2021, and the second part is conjecture because otherwise he'd be more involved 

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

That the validity of his statements and the reasoning for them is in question because he doesnt seem like the most stable person on the planet. Sams opinion on the other hand is respectable and I'm interested to hear more about that.

Nice to see a reasonable post. It’s what I heard from a friend that talked to them while they were at the same restaurant. There’s been mentions of players disliking Herman on Orangebloods as well, and there was the issue with DeShon, plus a lot of people that've met him describe Herman as a somewhat of a pretentious a-hole so it’s not hard to disbelieve for me. I can’t speak to whether they don’t respect him, which is more important IMO. 

• Like 1