Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's a multi year occurrence, not just 2021, and the second part is conjecture because otherwise he'd be more involved 

Thanks... Hopefully Herman gets a lot more personally involved in 2021/2022 recruiting... Texas has to keep adding more quality talent!!

15 minutes ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

How many generic gifs you got stored away? I’ve never met a type like yours that isn’t a huge nerd

I don’t know if you’ve heard of this thing called The Internet, but it’s an amazing repository of all kinds of shit, like images and gifs. It’s, literally, limitless. 

Oh good, you’ve skipped right to “you must be a nerd in real life.” I mean, you’re hitting all high points. I feel a “you’re not a coach” in the not too distant future. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t know if you’ve heard of this thing called The Internet, but it’s an amazing repository of all kinds of shit, like images and gifs. It’s, literally, limitless. 

Oh good, you’ve skipped right to “you must be a nerd in real life.” I mean, you’re hitting all high points. I feel a “you’re not a coach” in the not too distant future. 

I’m just happy that you didn’t use another gif. Good place to build from

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

This also squeezes teams like TCU.  They're not a big market team--even when they're successful.  It'll probably sting WVU as well since their state is more similar to Louisiana than one that's prosperous.  

The fuck are you talking about? TCU is the richest school in the Country and could buy Baylor and shut them down. If you haven't heard, the top secret oil deals given to Patterson would make Jimbo Fisher blush. Just ask any TCU fan and they will tell you. COVID ain't slowing down that money train in Ft. Worth.

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Is this conjecture or fact about Herman 's personal involvement in 2021 recruiting efforts Fud?
  • Curious what makes you believe Herman thinks he shouldn't have to be heavily involved in recruiting like Dabo and Riley?

No doubt Herman has mismanaged his staff in his first three years -- but what makes you feel like Herman doesn't want to be that involved personally in 2021/2022 recruiting?

--I get it that a lot of Surly is pissed at recent 2021 recruiting, but I'm still waiting until after Texas plays a few games this Fall to decide for sure whether or not Herman is sucking it up again.

--Still a lot of time left for Texas 2021/2022 recruiting.  🤘

I don’t know if it’s recruiting specific. But Herman has said many times about how he couldn’t focus on “HC responsibilities” because he was coordinations last year. He bitched about that several times. I don’t know what he considers HC shit that he couldn’t focus on as he considered appropriate. I believe he loves recruiting. I think it’s more likely he’s dense or tone deaf on when and which recruits he steps in early with or at all. My guess is his instincts are not great, but that’s just me observing. He’s intervened before and had good results, and he’s stepped in and turned some kids off. Like everything else with him it’s an inconsistent crap-shoot. 

10 minutes ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

Nice to see a reasonable post. It’s what I heard from a friend that talked to them while they were at the same restaurant. There’s been mentions of players disliking Herman on Orangebloods as well, and there was the issue with DeShon, plus a lot of people that've met him describe Herman as a somewhat of a pretentious a-hole so it’s not hard to disbelieve for me. I can’t speak to whether they don’t respect him, which is more important IMO. 

• Yeah, always stories about players not liking a Head Coach when the team is struggling
  • Saban has former players who describe him as  "somewhat of a pretentious a-hole" 
  • NutsHang -- Using examples of DeShon & Orangebloods significantly reduces your credibility
Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

Nice to see a reasonable post. It’s what I heard from a friend that talked to them while they were at the same restaurant. There’s been mentions of players disliking Herman on Orangebloods as well, and there was the issue with DeShon, plus a lot of people that've met him describe Herman as a somewhat of a pretentious a-hole so it’s not hard to disbelieve for me. I can’t speak to whether they don’t respect him, which is more important IMO. 

Not saying the sentiment isn't true, but the idea of Sam Ehlinger telling some random dude at a restaurant that Herman is a prick is pretty laughable

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

’m just happy that you didn’t use another gif. Good place to build from

Some people enjoy a good picture, especially in graphic interchange format. I mean, communication in textual form leaves a lot to the imagination, in regards to the complete lack of tone, facial expression, and body language. GIF, or not, effectively communicating in the wild jungle of a messaging community such as Surly can be a formidable task.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Just now, LTtxfan said:
  • Yeah, always stories about players not liking a Head Coach when the team is struggling
  • Saban also has former players who describe him as  "somewhat of a pretentious a-hole" 
  • NutsHang -- Using examples of DeShon & Orangebloods significantly reduces your credibility

Disagree with first point, at least with “always”. I don’t remember players disliking Strong.

Agree with second point, or at least I’ve heard the same.

Not sure what third point means given the sources were quotes directly from players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Being an ambassador for Texas football is time consuming. I saw where he and Michelle went to a distillery and drank some hand sanitizer.

Honestly I just skimmed the article but I think I read that right 

Plain vodka and G2 just doesnt quite hit like it use to

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not saying the sentiment isn't true, but the idea of Sam Ehlinger telling some random dude at a restaurant that Herman is a prick is pretty laughable

Agree to disagree. Makes sense to me because there’s no good reason my friend would’ve made it up, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence including the post before mine saying the exact same thing, and from what I’ve read and heard about Herman’s likability. If you don’t believe it, that’s fine with me. I’ve said all I can or care to say about it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

So some guy on the internet heard from his friend that was at the same restaurant as two players, who just casually told your friend, a fan, that they hate the head coach of the University of Texas who they play for. 

Star Trek Ok GIF

Un-Impeachable source material. Has anyone alerted Chip Brown?

I'm not saying players don't hate Tom Herman. I just need a little more to work with than some "Simone from Ferris Buehler" game of telephone bullshit.   

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

@Goodman and @Bruh Man have been on an anti-Hand crusade for a while. Not much has changed there.

This season will be interesting to see if the OU/Baylor collapses were scheme or talent/coaching.

My issue is not just with Hand but also with Herman, he thought it best to hire Warehime when building a staff. I think Hand is an average coach and average recruiter. We started linemen who play dumb, meathead football and got absolutely embarrassed in 2 of our 3 biggest games last year. I am high on this year's team and feel like a great season hinges on our OL.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I've met Riley on multiple occasions (my wife is friends with Stoop's wife) and the guy is very easy to like.  I imagine he makes a very good impression with recruits. Ironically I have never even shaken Herman's hand let along talked with him. Riley is going to be tougher to recruit against for sure.  

Looks like we have some Mary Kay Caddy's up in this bitch. 

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

So some guy on the internet heard from his friend that was at the same restaurant as two players, who just casually told your friend, a fan, that they hate the head coach of the University of Texas who they play for. 

Star Trek Ok GIF

Has anyone alerted Chip Brown?

I'm not saying players don't hate Tom Herman. I just need a little more to work with than some "Simone from Ferris Buehler" game of telephone bullshit.   

I think my buddy recorded it on his phone. I’ll double check

Edited by LetYourNutsHang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Star Trek Ok GIF

Has anyone alerted Chip Brown?

You mean some guy that willingly pays Ketch money, heard it from a friend, who overheard it at Pluckers, who then posted on orangebloods, which then random new surly poster read and proceeds to tout as fact isnt credible....I mean just check the sources

a76PPoDo_700w_0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

You mean some guy that willingly pays Ketch money, heard it from a friend, who overheard it at Pluckers, who then posted on orangebloods, which then random new surly poster read and proceeds to tout as fact isnt credible....I mean just check the sources

a76PPoDo_700w_0.jpg

I’ll get a notarized statement from Sam next time I see him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Their 247 mod listed a bunch of their safety targets the other day, and it seemed like most of them had visited at some point. She said that they had a bunch of them rated more or less the same with potentially only one safety spot in the class, so they were fine waiting and getting more data on the safety recruits 

I'd like to see Mukuba here but that's the last position I am concerned about for this cycle.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Is this conjecture or fact about Herman 's personal involvement in 2021 recruiting efforts Fud?
  • Curious what makes you believe Herman thinks he shouldn't have to be heavily involved in recruiting like Dabo and Riley?

No doubt Herman has mismanaged his staff in his first three years -- but what makes you feel like Herman doesn't want to be that involved personally in 2021/2022 recruiting?

--I get it that a lot of Surly is pissed at recent 2021 recruiting, but I'm still waiting until after Texas plays a few games this Fall to decide for sure whether or not Herman is sucking it up again.

--Still a lot of time left for Texas 2021/2022 recruiting.  🤘

57 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Saban has former players who describe him as  "somewhat of a pretentious a-hole" 

Y’all can debate stuff about Herman’s personality all you want. I just want to know who taught @LTtxfan how to use bullet points.

22 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Man. This is getting to 1,000 the hard way. 

Your mom got to 1,000 the hard way. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I generally agree with everything in this post. I'll caveat it with Herman might be the guy who is a great coordinator but a mediocre head coach. Personally, I doubt it. I think he's still learning on the job, though. If he leaves here, I absolutely imagine he'll have success elsewhere and it will be yet another mark in the "Texas is Toxic and no one can win there" narrative that we seem incapable of escaping lately. I do believe it will be much harder to attract another big name coach because of the emphasis the NFL and recruits seem to be putting on the SEC. Mediocre SEC schools putting kids consistently in the draft is a bad, bad look for us. 

I think the other thing to consider is that Covid 19 is about to put a pinch of athletic departments in ways folks aren't really considering. MLB released that study this week saying they'd be losing 640k or some such a GAME if it was played without fans. I'm not sure what this translates to for college, but it can't be that massive considering lots of these schools (read: Miami) are often playing to empty fucking stadiums regardless, and that's considered an upper level brand. Schools with big TV contracts will be OK, but the whole of the athletic department will take the brunt in other sports. Long story short, schools probably are not going to be buying out coaches for the foreseeable future if they're running in the red just to keep business going as usual. I expect that to be Texas as well, to an extent. Fuck, he extended Shaka Smart. Herman might get an extra year after this one even if he is mediocre just because of the economy. That probably doesn't help us, as it just prolongs the stench of death around the program. But there's always a shot the guy shoots the moon. 

He has to win big this year. The good news is I think Herman knows that and he understands gameplanning for his  life. The bad news is who knows if that makes a difference in regards to their actual ability to coach, and coach as a team. 

FWIW, Fangraphs wrote an extensive article today about why the MLB’s astronomical financial loss predictions have no basis in reality and are bullshit peddled by the owners 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1