Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Someone should ask him "Why aggy since they've never won anything of significance?"

Recruits' order of priorities:

1. Getting into the league.

2. Winning

100. Mt. Bonnell/Lake Travis/SOCO and all the other irrelevant shit we push on social media to mask our failures at #1 & #2.

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Recruits' order of priorities:

1. Getting into the league.

2. Winning

100. Mt. Bonnell/Lake Travis and all the other irrelevant shit we push on social media to mask our failures at #1 & #2.

Pretty much. Or the ability to sell a new era that has a hope of that happening (see 2018/2019 or aggy in 2019). 

We badly need a season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

So some guy on the internet heard from his friend that was at the same restaurant as two players, who just casually told your friend, a fan, that they hate the head coach of the University of Texas who they play for. 

Star Trek Ok GIF

Un-Impeachable source material. Has anyone alerted Chip Brown?

I'm not saying players don't hate Tom Herman. I just need a little more to work with than some "Simone from Ferris Buehler" game of telephone bullshit.   

Not too mention that was 3 years ago when the entire team was about to stage a full on mutiny.

Just now, texifornia said:

Pretty much. Or the ability to sell a new era that has a hope of that happening (see 2018/2019 or aggy in 2019). 

We badly need a season.

Yeah... the 5yr stats includes time before Herman.

But no doubt Herman really needs Texas Football to produce on the field in his 4th year!!  🤘

14 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yea that stat seems common sense. It’s also fucking dumb not to consider that those were not Herman’s players.

It doesn’t matter. It’s an important (although obvious) insight into how we’re being negative recruited.  Do you think Tunmise put pen to paper and did the math on our last 5 recruiting classes or whatever, and then cross sectioned to nfl drafted kids? Came up with 15%? No it’s a sound byte he has been fed, probably by multiple schools who did the math for him, and he’s regurgitating it himself. This, ladies and gents, is how you get Clayton Smith’d. I hope Herman sees that screen grab and adjusts his pitch accordingly. If he can just get these kids to wait and see for the season, it’s all we and he can ask at this point. 

• Like 3

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Other than stick probably 25-30 kids into the nfl. How many first rounders last year, like 5? 

I was referencing winning, sorry.  I hate the nfl so I don't care.  I understand that the kids want to go the nfl but those kids were part of Meyer's classes not the current cheater's.

1 minute ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I was referencing winning, sorry.  I hate the nfl so I don't care.  I understand that the kids want to go the nfl but those kids were part of Meyer's classes not the current cheater's.

If that's what not do anything looks like... sign me up

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

If that's what not do anything looks like... sign me up

If there was ever a ready made gig, the fOSU gig was it.  The current dude didn't build it.  It's been a work in progress since the cardigan dude..... who got caught and fired......

Can we stick to recruiting info?  The TH bashing is on the football board.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

9 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

In the one full year since Meyer left, they

- they beat Michigan, and went 12-0 in the regular season

- won the Big 10 Championship

- went to the playoff

- and IIRC, Day was pretty involved in recruiting Fields (during his transfer)

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

In the one full year since Meyer left, they

- they beat Michigan, and went 12-0 in the regular season

- won the Big 10 Championship

- went to the playoff

- and IIRC, Day was pretty involved in recruiting Fields (during his transfer)

And have a 95+ avg recruit ranking in a class that's already 18 deep

Like going undefeated in the regular season, winning your conference for like the 75th year in a row, and going to the playoffs? I’d consider that “winning shit”

44 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Like going undefeated in the regular season, winning your conference for like the 75th year in a row, and going to the playoffs? I’d consider that “winning shit”

fOSU is 2-2 in the playoff.  The 2 wins came with Herman as the OC.  Ya, they have won a lot in the B1G but it's still the B1G.  If I am TH, that's my response.  Hopefully we get them in the playoff.  I would love to see the matchup.   They have no competition in the B1G.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

33 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

fOSU is 2-2 in the playoff.  The 2 wins came with Herman as the OC.  Ya, they have won a lot in the B1G but it's still the B1G.  If I am TH, that's my response.  Hopefully we get them in the playoff.  I would love to see the matchup.   They have no competition in the B1G.

No one that goes to tOSU gives a shit about winning the playoffs. They just want to play in the NFL. In fact, I would say that most players in college football see it as an apprenticeship to the NFL as opposed to for glory. When you pay coaches millions of dollars to coach games, I think the players could give 2 shits for the most part for the university.

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No one that goes to tOSU gives a shit about winning the playoffs. They just want to play in the NFL. In fact, I would say that most players in college football see it as an apprenticeship to the NFL as opposed to for glory. When you pay coaches millions of dollars to coach games, I think the players could give 2 shits for the most part for the university.

And that's too bad.  I would compare college football to the nfl as a fine shot of tequila vs jerry pissing on one's face.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

247 / Greg Biggins / Are leaders emerging for talented corner Jamier Johnson?

Spoiler

Are leaders emerging for talented corner Jamier Johnson?
ByGREG BIGGINS

Pasadena (Calif.) Muir defensive back Jamier Johnson cut his list of schools down to seven back in April and it sounds like a few are starting to emerge.

Johnson made a nice move in the recent 247Sports Composite jumping from the No. 286 player nationally to No. 242. He’s among the nation’s top cover corners and recently cut his list of schools down to Arizona State, Colorado, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas and USC.

We caught up with his head coach at Muir, Zaire Calvin, to get an inside look at where Johnson’s recruitment was currently at.

“He really likes Colorado and Oregon,” Calvin said. “Texas is another school making a big move after he did a zoom call with them last week and Michigan is in there too.

“With Colorado, a lot of his interest is because of his relationship with coach Meat (Demetrice Martin). Meat is a Pasadena guy who played at Muir and he really connects well with the kids out here, especially Jamier. He’s like family but even before he got there, I think Jamier had sincere interest in Colorado but that definitely helped.”

Oregon has always been high on Johnson’s list as well.

“They were one of his childhood favorite schools growing up if not the favorite for him,” Johnson said. “He has visited there before and really loved it and has a strong connection with the school and staff. He likes Cristobal a lot and is developing a relationship with the new DB coach Rod Chance.

“Texas is really intriguing for him and his mom. Like I said, they had that zoom call and really impressed them a lot. His mom especially liked the presentation and Texas has so much to offer  football wise and academically. The only issue there is he hasn’t visited yet but that’s a school I know he wants to try and get to an see how comfortable he is.”

Calvin said Michigan has quietly jumped in the race.

“They weren’t in his original top seven,” Calvin said. “They offered him shortly after he came out with his list and are definitely in it for him. They asked him if he would he be interested in them if they offered and he said ‘for sure’ and was really excited about that one.

“Michigan is a big time program with so much pride and tradition. Location doesn’t matter for him, he’ll go anywhere so I know that’s another school he would love to get out and see what these guys are able to go visit schools.”

Johnson has talked about making an early commitment, as early as September but a lot will depend on when he takes his visits. He sounds pretty set on taking a few before making a decision and whoever locks in that first trip could really help themselves if Johnson decides to commit shortly after. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

What percent of 4/5 stars has Herman sent to the league in the last 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herman thread on the football board.  ------------>  That way.  There are some guys in here that do a damn fine job of documenting recruiting.  They don't need you in here mucking it up.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

8 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

What percent of 4/5 stars has Herman sent to the league in the last 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UH NFL Draft 2016-2018 (would've played 1-2 years under Herman):

Classes of 2012-2015: Had no draft eligible 4 or 5 stars on roster, but did have an unranked and a few 2 stars drafted

Guys he recruited but were drafted after he left: 1/1 5 star, 0/3 4 star (class of 2016, played 1 year for Herman, drafted in 2019 or 2020)

UT NFL Draft 2018-2020

Class of 2014 (one year under Herman): 0/0 5 star, 0/7 4 star (including Poona)

Class of 2015 (played one or two years under Herman): 1/1 5 star, 2/9 4 star (Kris Boyd, DeShon Elliott, Holton Hill)

Class of 2016 (played two or three years under Herman): 0/0 5 star (247 has B Jones listed as a 4 star), 3/12 4 star (RS Okafor could still add to this. Also includes guys that played at least one year for Herman and transferred, so Buechele, K Porter, Christmas-Giles, and Urquidez could theoretically add to this number)

Class of 2017 (transition class): No early draft enrollees (6 4 stars, 1 has transferred, 1 JUCO undrafted)

If there is a season, I expect us to do well enough to sort all of this shit out. I imagine a lot of these recruitments are more piss than normal. On paper I think this team is better than the 09 team. It's better than the 08 team too if you include the coaching staff. I'm still not that confident there will be a season though.

• Like 1