Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

50 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

How different would WR recruiting be if Texas loaded up with 5 DBs from (Ish, Deuce, Coffey, Mukaba, Johnson, and Smith) and let Bowman play WR?

I’m not at all surprised you think this would be a good idea.

38 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Been thinking the same thing..

As for you,

Voila_Capture-2015-01-12_11-25-13_AM.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, you’ll address none of the points in the argument but instead will focus entirely on pedantry that has nothing to do with the issues laid out? Shocker. Futureman Jr. indeed.  

I doubt any here will hold their breath while eagerly anticipating your analysis on how Baylor’s recruiting classes could be considered more talented than those of Texas the last decade. I’m sure challenging accepted notions with the defense of “Well that’s just, like, your opinion man” works on other people, it’s not going to be a convincing argument to most posters here. 

Do me a favor and put me on ignore while you slink away. 

Lol. I’ll keep this short. I addressed your first point. If correcting what you said is irrelevant, then what you said is irrelevant. Of the two of us, only one has presented facts. Who says slink away? Asking me to put you on ignore is funny in more ways than one. And it must be hard never thinking that you’re wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, futureman said:

You can have that perspective, and it doesn't faze me one bit. But the reality is I continue to positively impact hundreds of lives each year through my job and enjoy the mutual respect and gratitude shared with my students and colleagues. And now I'm going to go pack for my family's 10-day trip to Orlando.

Damn. I’ll be in the red by the time you get back. 

• Like 1

With all the draft pick nonsense going around, I pulled some info and plotted some trend lines for some perspective......

This is the # of Texas players taken in the draft per year since 1938.

spacer.png

This is a  scatter plot of winning % per year with trend line since 1893.  The red dots are a 5 year moving average.  Can you see the cycles?

spacer.png

Now might be a good time to get on the Texas bus.  Tunmise?

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

With all the draft pick nonsense going around, I pulled some info and plotted some trend lines for some perspective......

spacer.png

This is a  scatter plot of winning % per year with trend line since 1893.  The red dots are a 5 year moving average.  Can you see the cycles?

spacer.png

Oh shit, playoffs here we come!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

Is the feeling on Mukuba right now that we're running 2nd to Clemson, and they might fill up before he can visit? Y'all have been a little more optimistic on him the last few days.

Would be nice for the fucking ball to bounce our way for once.

Mukuba is not someone to get worked up over. He might turn to be great but Safety is the last position we should worry about. 

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Mukuba is not someone to get worked up over. He might turn to be great but Safety is the last position we should worry about. 

He's a very good talent, who lives in ATX, with none of the baggage that Garrett Wilson or Latrell McCutchin have. While safety isn't our weakest position by a long mile, he's a dude we should get and should really want to get.

It's tough, I don't want to ride our staff too hard (on the solely recruiting side of things) for losing a kid to one of the schools with gilt-edged winning/draft placement resumes, but man this feels like a recruitment we should really be able to put our foot in the ground on.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Is Miami pushing for Milroe? I notice accounts always commenting on his stuff

I mean, they might be, but everything from 9.95 reports, to Twitter activity and follows (ALL the Texas-based insta hoes - admirable initiative), seems locked-in to being UT's QB.

13 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Here is a link to the image if it doesn't show:  https://imgur.com/amRIthJ

For your next project, if you have the time, could you do another one showing how Texas did in the 2001-2010 NFL drafts?

It would be interesting to see some other schools, but I mainly want to see how Texas did during that decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's a very good talent, who lives in ATX, with none of the baggage that Garrett Wilson or Latrell McCutchin have. While safety isn't our weakest position by a long mile, he's a dude we should get and should really want to get.

Sorry, for asking since he isn't a 2021 prospect but what baggage did Wilson have? 

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Give me 3 hours with recruiting data and I can guarantee you I can figure out a way to present the data so that Texas looks pretty good and other teams look worse than they do now. All data can be manipulated to advantage.

please, do it. 

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Give me 3 hours with recruiting data and I can guarantee you I can figure out a way to present the data so that Texas looks pretty good and other teams look worse than they do now. All data can be manipulated to advantage.

# of players drafted in the past 10 years who, if given the opportunity to go to Texas, would've. See, all the good players wanna go to Texas.

15 hours ago, LetYourNutsHang said:

Stopped reading after more 3- and 4-stars picks than 5-stars. I wrote more 3 stars than 5 stars. Big difference. And just for future reference, pointing out flaws in an assumption doesn’t by definition no longer make it an assumption. It makes it a more sound assumption, but still an assumption. I can tell this is going nowhere, so I’ll leave it at that. Not going to keep arguing about the definition of a word.

I would like your honest opinion....over the past 10 years, has Baylor had more talent on their rosters than Texas?

8 hours ago, BornOrange said:

For your next project, if you have the time, could you do another one showing how Texas did in the 2001-2010 NFL drafts?

It would be interesting to see some other schools, but I mainly want to see how Texas did during that decade.

2001-2010 draft picks

nfFVm3r.jpg

If the picture doesn't show:  https://imgur.com/nfFVm3r

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

2001-2010 draft picks

nfFVm3r.jpg

If the picture doesn't show:  https://imgur.com/nfFVm3r

If there was ever a sleeping giant that recruits Texas, it's absolutely swamp aggy. They have always recruited well and it took Saban to unlock the potential first. Then they had to wait until Wart Brady pulled the sword out of the stone. 

While not comparable as universities, swamp aggy and Michigan football have a lot in common. Never able to string together wins against traditional rivals, but recruit well enough to shoot for 9-10 wins consistently. 

On 5/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, LetYourNutsHang said:

Life’s too short to respond to 10 different people arguing against facts. 

Yes, life's too short, unless...

On 5/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, LetYourNutsHang said:

Nice to see a reasonable post. It’s what I heard from a friend that talked to them while they were at the same restaurant. There’s been mentions of players disliking Herman on Orangebloods as well, and there was the issue with DeShon, plus a lot of people that've met him describe Herman as a somewhat of a pretentious a-hole so it’s not hard to disbelieve for me. I can’t speak to whether they don’t respect him, which is more important IMO. 

12 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

spacer.png

So we had 52 draft picks the year Jesus was born?

38 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If there was ever a sleeping giant that recruits Texas, it's absolutely swamp aggy. They have always recruited well and it took Saban to unlock the potential first. Then they had to wait until Wart Brady pulled the sword out of the stone. 

While not comparable as universities, swamp aggy and Michigan football have a lot in common. Never able to string together wins against traditional rivals, but recruit well enough to shoot for 9-10 wins consistently. 

Ever heard of John Cooper?

16 hours ago, futureman said:

You can have that perspective, and it doesn't faze me one bit. But the reality is I continue to positively impact hundreds of lives each year through my job and enjoy the mutual respect and gratitude shared with my students and colleagues. And now I'm going to go pack for my family's 10-day trip to Orlando.

I nearly choked on my breakfast.  Well done.

12 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

You should normalize the y-axis on the first graph.

2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I would like your honest opinion....over the past 10 years, has Baylor had more talent on their rosters than Texas?

Yes, based on NFL draft picks, especially 5 first rounders and 3 second rounders from Baylor compared to 2 of each for Texas starting in 2011. 
That said, based on what I’ve seen the last two years I think our 2020 squad is our best since 2009 and has more overall talent than any team in the conference.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Not baggage in the "that kid's bad news" sense. Just that he was born in Columbus and grew up a Buckeye fan.

The two might be related, but he's also a piece of shit who has been badmouthing the program to other recruits

Georgia 247 / Jake Rowe / Top247 LB, Georgia target Andrew Jones set to decide

Spoiler

Top247 LB, Georgia target Andrew Jones set to decide
ByJAKE ROWE

Georgia continues to pursue linebackers in the 2021 class, both of the inside and outside variety and one four-star prospect who became a target just a month ago is set to make his decision. John Ehret (Marrero, La.) inside linebacker Andrew Jones made it known via Twitter that he'll be making his decision on Saturday, May 23 at 4 p.m. CT. 

Jones released a top nine a month ago that included Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, SMU, and Texas Tech. The battle for his commitment is thought to be down to FSU, UGA, Louisville, and Houston per his 247Sports profile.

The 6-foot, 200-pound defender was a major riser in latest Top247, which was released on Wednesday. He comes in as the nation's No. 160 overall prospect and No. 6 inside linebacker per the 247Sports in-house rankings. He's the No. 9 overall prospect in Louisiana.

Average-sized traditional off-line linebacker who will need to add bulk in college. Compensates with encouraging functional athleticism on the field and possibility of playing multiple LB roles, depending on scheme. Huge production as a junior. Closes fast in pursuit and with a purpose. Shows impressive close-quarters explosiveness. Can uncoil without gathering. Pad-popper. Pursues well to perimeter and redirects well in run game. Majority of tape is playing forward or to the sidelines and not dropping into coverage. Will need to hone coverage technique. May need scheme fit to maximize play style. Needs to get stronger to help navigate run-game traffic. Lack of athletic context (testing, track). Power Five-caliber linebacker who plays athletic and could fit multiple off-line roles. -- Gabe Brooks

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite, which factors in the rankings from two other networks, views him as the No. 391 overall prospect and No. 15 inside linebacker in the nation. Those rankings have him No. 13 overall in Louisiana.

Jones finished his junior season with 137 tackles (98 solo), 42 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and two pass breakups. His speed and productivity have caught the eye of 247Sports National Director of Scouting Barton Simmons.

Jones is an undersized linebacker but he’s an incredibly productive, active and athletic player in pads," Simmons wrote last month. "Do yourself a favor and watch his film just for fun. Size is the only limiting factor for us."

The Bulldogs have had some success in Louisiana the past two recruiting cycles. They landed four-star wide receiver Makiya Tongue out of Baton Rouge, La. in the 2019 recruiting cycle and then grabbed four-star safety Major Burns out of the same town in the 2020 class along with four-star offensive lineman Sedrick Van Pran out of New Orleans and three-star defensive back Daran Branch out of Amite.

Florida State is currently the team to beat per the 247Sports Crystal Ball. The Seminoles have all five of the selections at this time, but it's worth noting that each of those predictions were made before the Bulldogs came through with an offer last month.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Waylp

32 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Georgia 247 / Jake Rowe / Top247 LB, Georgia target Andrew Jones set to decide

Reveal hidden contents

Top247 LB, Georgia target Andrew Jones set to decide
ByJAKE ROWE

Georgia continues to pursue linebackers in the 2021 class, both of the inside and outside variety and one four-star prospect who became a target just a month ago is set to make his decision. John Ehret (Marrero, La.) inside linebacker Andrew Jones made it known via Twitter that he'll be making his decision on Saturday, May 23 at 4 p.m. CT. 

Jones released a top nine a month ago that included Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, SMU, and Texas Tech. The battle for his commitment is thought to be down to FSU, UGA, Louisville, and Houston per his 247Sports profile.

The 6-foot, 200-pound defender was a major riser in latest Top247, which was released on Wednesday. He comes in as the nation's No. 160 overall prospect and No. 6 inside linebacker per the 247Sports in-house rankings. He's the No. 9 overall prospect in Louisiana.

Average-sized traditional off-line linebacker who will need to add bulk in college. Compensates with encouraging functional athleticism on the field and possibility of playing multiple LB roles, depending on scheme. Huge production as a junior. Closes fast in pursuit and with a purpose. Shows impressive close-quarters explosiveness. Can uncoil without gathering. Pad-popper. Pursues well to perimeter and redirects well in run game. Majority of tape is playing forward or to the sidelines and not dropping into coverage. Will need to hone coverage technique. May need scheme fit to maximize play style. Needs to get stronger to help navigate run-game traffic. Lack of athletic context (testing, track). Power Five-caliber linebacker who plays athletic and could fit multiple off-line roles. -- Gabe Brooks

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite, which factors in the rankings from two other networks, views him as the No. 391 overall prospect and No. 15 inside linebacker in the nation. Those rankings have him No. 13 overall in Louisiana.

Jones finished his junior season with 137 tackles (98 solo), 42 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and two pass breakups. His speed and productivity have caught the eye of 247Sports National Director of Scouting Barton Simmons.

Jones is an undersized linebacker but he’s an incredibly productive, active and athletic player in pads," Simmons wrote last month. "Do yourself a favor and watch his film just for fun. Size is the only limiting factor for us."

The Bulldogs have had some success in Louisiana the past two recruiting cycles. They landed four-star wide receiver Makiya Tongue out of Baton Rouge, La. in the 2019 recruiting cycle and then grabbed four-star safety Major Burns out of the same town in the 2020 class along with four-star offensive lineman Sedrick Van Pran out of New Orleans and three-star defensive back Daran Branch out of Amite.

Florida State is currently the team to beat per the 247Sports Crystal Ball. The Seminoles have all five of the selections at this time, but it's worth noting that each of those predictions were made before the Bulldogs came through with an offer last month.

I think Georgia made a call

• Like 3

Sooo .... question for the footbaw cognoscenti.

I'm thrilled that we have Sanders and Bowman.

Question:  How well have we done with elite recruits who came in with some versatility and position flexibility?  Have we moved them around too much, and sub optimized their development?

• DeMarvion Overshown (247Sports 5 star):  He's going into his junior year.  
  • Tyler Owens (247Sports 5 star):  Soph, so he has time, but where is he on his development curve and his ability to contribute?  What is his official position?
  • D'shawn Jamison (Comp. high 4 star):  That year in the slot was a waste.
  • Malcolm Epps (Comp. 4 star):  Yeah, pu**y, but still ... 
  • Jordan Whittington (Comp. 5 star):  IIRC, played mostly receiver in high school.  Initially, the $9.95ers thought he would play safety.  Stuck to offense.  Moved to RB;  probably need based.  Back to receiver (mostly).  His injury obviously kibboshed his year, but I hope they leave the guy where he is now.
  • B.J. Foster? (Comp. 5 star):  Is this guy settled in?  Safety/LB/Swiss army knife?
  • Roschon Johnson (Comp. 4 star):  This was a success, and the staff should get credit (although this was initiated by Roschon, and was a pretty desperate situation).
  • Others:  There are others who have made smaller moves (within position groups), and some who moved because they probably just didn't cut it at a certain position (Leitao, Cummins).  

- Several of these guys have time, so am not writing them off, by any means.  But would they have been better served by focusing on a position?  Any individual case could be justified;  the aggregate is what makes me wonder.

- The moves of the guys named through Roschon (maybe Epps is an exception) seem like they were very much optional moves, not ones forced by poor performance in one position.  So they didn't HAVE to be made ..... 

Thoughts?

• Like 1