Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

57 minutes ago, cafe society said:

The worst thing about this decommitment is the optics.  Makes it look to people on the outside that we're reeling.  I'm more concerned about the state of OL and WR recruiting. 

Herman lands the saftey out of LBJ then this blows over.

If his decision was swayed by Tunmise then out of the gates that is a sign or red flag. Man up and make a decision based on you. 

3 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Herman lands the saftey out of LBJ then this blows over.

If his decision was swayed by Tunmise then out of the gates that is a sign or red flag. Man up and make a decision based on you. 

I think Tunmise was reacting to the decommitmemt, I don't imagine he is actively calling other recruits and discouraging them from coming here.  Auburn pays and with his pal committing there it was a perfect storm.

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

The worst thing about this decommitment is the optics.  Makes it look to people on the outside that we're reeling.  I'm more concerned about the state of OL and WR recruiting. 

Pretty much all this. Im not concerned about the position. I’m concerned about optics but mostly that we’re doing stupid shit behind the scenes. The auburn and davis shit actually makes me feel somewhat better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Wiley is going to be very good.

I don't know about how good of a receiving TE he will be but he drastically improved at the end of the season. He was very good against Texas Tech and Utah. Herman said Wiley is going to play on Sundays and I don't think that's him bullshitting either. 

Biggest concern about Wiley is he grows into a tackle. 

59 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

yeah the whole sec talk is really starting to turn these kids. It's gonna take us putting a beating behind the shed performance in Death Valley and hopefully squaring up against another sec team in the CFP to show that it's the school not the conference that makes you great. The ACC is much weaker than the Big 12 but Clemson has no trouble.  Last decade plus of SEC champions and aggys selling it in the state has taken it's toll.. Texas has to show out. HookEm

So, from the SEC they choose Auburn?  F'k no.  Auburn hasn't done squat.  

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

God damn he must be bored to type that shit out to basically say what any normal human would assume.

But he is so creative comparing recruiting to the stock market.

That is some higher order thinking right there. We are lucky to have someone like that on our side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

God damn he must be bored to type that shit out to basically say what any normal human would assume.

Nahlin  can be a real dumbass sometimes -- he doesn't know shit regarding the stock market nor anything about SURLY STONK!!!

Surprised he didn't write about the effects on the recruiting market from COVID-19 and how Texas is really hoping to soon have new therapeutics, antibody treatments, and possibly a vaccine to SAVE LONGHORN FOOTBALL... 

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

HOOK 'EM FUCKING HORNS!!! 🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan

The good news is that if Yurich is truly in charge of the offense, he will make due with 10 or 20 personnel instead of putting a -1 on the field that does nothing. When he had a good one at OSU he used him accordingly, when he didn't he used the best 11 he did have.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

It always sucks losing a recruit that's not clearly toxic but whew do we have a long way until December/Feb. With the pandemic limitations we're going to see an unprecedented recruiting cycle and I'll bet we're on the winning side of that when it's all said and done. 

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From Roach:

I talked to some more sources who said the kid just feels a real strong pull to the SEC

Roach follow up:

I talked to some more sources who said there’s no way I would ever get to meet the bag man.

7 hours ago, Getafix said:

If Wiley builds on his initial promise, and Leibrock pans out in a big way, we could be okay ... but those are big ifs.

Brewer:  Mediocre.

Leitao:   Bust

Epps:  Bust

Liebrock:  Unproven.  Hardly played.

Wiley:  Showed some potential ... but just 1 reception.  (So between him and Leibrock, they have 1 reception total.)

Juan Davis:  Considered to be a project

hullaby. 

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Biggest concern about Wiley is he grows into a tackle. 

he won’t.  tight ends like wiley are what tom used to win the NC in columbus.  he had two 6’6” 260# monsters that played a lot and both are now in the NFL.  wiley and liebrock are going to be big parts of the offense going forward. 

• Like 3

Mike at Night: Recruiting notes heading into the weekend

—Landen King's decommitment came as a bit of a surprise today. A source I spoke with in Austin actually said they had some indication from King late last night. The three-star Atascocita tight end is telling folks that he feels he just made the decision too quickly, but those near him feel he's seeing the allure of the SEC. Auburn is one to watch with King's close friend Dematrius Davis recently committing, and Georgia is in the picture as well. I've also heard that King is still considering Texas. The Auburn news would make for another chapter in an ongoing back and forth with Chad Morris. It's no secret in the coaching community that Morris doesn't care for Tom Herman, and his Arkansas staff threw some pretty negative recruiting tactics at past targets. I'm not saying that happened here, but it's something I found interesting. Obviously, decommitments aren't great, but from the digging I did today, it's hard to find fault with anyone on the Texas staff for this one.

—I had the opportunity to see four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem train today. I continue to be impressed by his fluidity and hips and I think his ceiling at the position is as strong as anyone out there. I also continue to feel very good about where Texas stands in this recruitment. Texas hasn't done a better job recruiting a prospect in this cycle than Ibraheem, and I feel they are moving into the lead. If Texas lands JD Coffey, it only strengthens their position for Ibraheem.

—I'm hearing that momentum is moving the other way with Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon. I feel Texas would have a better shot if this race carries into the fall, but right now it sounds like there is heavy momentum towards Texas A&M. If Texas misses on Harmon, they would likely shift focus to west coast prospects Jamier Johnson and Jaylin Smith. Omarion Cooper and Isaiah Johnson are also cornerback prospects to watch.

—I was also able to see Garland safety Chace Biddle.today, and it sounds like Texas is making a big impression on the four-star 2022 prospect. Jay Valai was the first to offer Biddle, and he's been all over him since that time. On the defensive side of the ball, it sounds like Texas is really making progress with 2022 prospects like Biddle. Another prospect I've heard strong things about is Brenen Thompson. The speedster from Spearman (Texas) holds offers from all over the country, but I'm told no coach is outworking Valai in this one.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty much all this. Im not concerned about the position. I’m concerned about optics but mostly that we’re doing stupid shit behind the scenes. The auburn and davis shit actually makes me feel somewhat better. 

Was apparently as much of a shock to staff, who apparently was in frequent contact with King even after his commitment. Allegedly, he informed staff the day before he was considering decommitting and was never heard from the day of despite staff reaching out before the announcement.

1 hour ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Was apparently as much of a shock to staff, who apparently was in frequent contact with King even after his commitment. Allegedly, he informed staff the day before he was considering decommitting and was never heard from the day of despite staff reaching out before the announcement.

That doesn't sound good at all. Welp, he gone.