Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Auburn clearly sold King on being a wide receiver in the form of a Sal Canella, and that just being SEC means nfl. They don’t really use TEs in the receiving game, and Texas has a better history of sending TEs to the NFL.  Also I’m sure benefit$. Eh, whatever.

So in '20 - assuming the season is played - 

- should Kerstetter be moved to center?

- hope Ghirmai has learned to snapped the ball and is good enough?

- Majors ... ?

- should we be looking for a transfer for center?

(Was trying to find info on Kerstetter and saw an article by Wescott where he too talks about all of this ... didn't want to trigger anyone by posting his stuff.)

Pass blocking ranking by PFF

In an older tweet on Big 12 OL overall (not just pass), Kerstetter is 3rd, but his grade, FWIW, is significantly lower .... couldn't find a run-blocking ranking.

In PFF's ranking of Top 30 overall linemen returning to college football, Kerstetter is not ranked.  Cosmi is number 5.

5. T SAMUEL COSMI, TEXAS

Cosmi, a redshirt sophomore, opted to return to Texas instead of declaring for the NFL draft to try and improve his stock. If he finds a way to improve just marginally in 2020, Cosmi will likely be on his way to the first-round next year. He was already a great player these past two years — in 2018 his WAA total was the second best among left tackles, and in 2019 he allowed just one combined sack and hit on his 595 pass-block snaps.

(Recruiting related because ... Majors/transfer questions.)

Perroni, on LJ Johnson.

Spoiler

Just spoke with LJ Johnson

Brian Perroni

I went out to a couple different workouts today and the one I just left, LJ Johnson was at.

I had a chance to talk with him at length. He has been talking to A&M a whole bunch, both Tommie Robinson and Fisher. Eli Stowers and the other commits are on him a whole bunch as well.

Johnson recently did a virtual visit with A&M. And I still like my crystal ball prediction of A&M. So he could decide to shut things down sooner, at this point he wants to take a couple visits still so it might last into the season.

He also plays Madden with Amari Daniels. And the two of them have talked about playing together at A&M

He has done other virtual visit recently with Texas, LSU and Georgia and has one this coming week with Oklahoma. Other than Georgia, those other three are A&M‘s main competition right now. Texas has done a good job and he also talks to Bijan Robinson a about the offense there. They are probably the ones to watch as the biggest competition at this point but I still think it will be A&M

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That’s one word for it. “Trust our evaluations more” indeed. Fuck. Hard to give the benefit of the doubt considering lack of camps and contact at this point. I’ll let someone else dissect the kids hudl and report back. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s one word for it. “Trust our evaluations more” indeed. Fuck. Hard to give the benefit of the doubt considering lack of camps and contact at this point. I’ll let someone else dissect the kids hudl and report back. 

Strong as an Ox.  Faster than a Cheetah.  Arms longer than Manute Bol.  Feet quicker than Usain Bolt.

Watch. The. Tape.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He has a good frame and could add another 30 lbs. He has an extremely fast first step. His get off is elite. He doesn’t possess what looks like high end speed but he’s very quick to the spot and squares up well. His lateral movement is solid and he isn’t stiff in his hips. He is very fluid with his movement and uses his hands well. He plays against 6-A competition. This is a total coach evaluation. He has a solid list of offers with the biggest being VaTech, Missouri and now Texas. He reminds me of Sam Acho. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

He has a good frame and could add another 30 lbs. He has an extremely fast first step. His get off is elite. He doesn’t possess what looks like high end speed but he’s very quick to the spot and squares up well. His lateral movement is solid and he isn’t stiff in his hips. He is very fluid with his movement and uses his hands well. He plays against 6-A competition. This is a total coach evaluation. He has a solid list of offers with the biggest being VaTech, Missouri and now Texas. He reminds me of Sam Acho. 

Listen, Mr. Texas HarvDog. Sunshine don't go around here. Savvy?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Ehh I'm a little biased because I'm from McKinney, but I think he and JJ Henry from McKinney North are underrated. They didn't do too many camps last year and I bet if the camp circuit would've taken place this year they probably get more offers and get ranked a little higher. Jon is pretty good, as mentioned he has good get off and good not great strength/speed. He tends to play a little high, though.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ehh I'm a little biased because I'm from McKinney, but I think he and JJ Henry from McKinney North are underrated. They didn't do too many camps last year and I bet if the camp circuit would've taken place this year they probably get more offers and get ranked a little higher. Jon is pretty good, as mentioned he has good get off and good not great strength/speed. He tends to play a little high, though.

Everyone plays high these days because it’s all based on getting the the passer and using your hands. No one these days is saying to their dline run straight into their guy and be the lowest man. 

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Coaches from OU and Alabama just started following Jonathan Jones today. 

I don't think this was a "trust the evaluation" offer like the other takes. Seems like there must be new film or something that has schools interested. 

Either that or they DO trust our coaches evaluation.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Gave up my sub when they brought on texags so cant share details.

Spoiler

Early this month, Reid Pride visited Arlington Martin High’s campus to check something. It had been more than a month since the linebackers coach had been there. When he arrived, he noticed someone on the field doing workout drills with some equipment.

He wasn’t surprised.

“You kind of expect to see Morice Blackwell jumping on the plyos,” Pride said. “It’s just kind of what he does.”

Soon after, Blackwell, rated a four-star 2021 outside linebacker by 247Sports, committed to Texas, choosing the home-state Longhorns over Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Baylor and Oklahoma State, among others.

“I’ve known Morice since he was in elementary school,” Martin head coach Bob Wager said. “He’s always had the exact same demeanor. I coached him in our youth camps in elementary school, and even at a young age, he was the guy that got there early and couldn’t wait. He looked forward to it all year long. That has never changed, not one day since I’ve known him. He’s always been the exact same guy, taking the exact same approach.”

Thanks to God for the talent he has blessed me with and all the University’s that extended and offer to me. I’m blessed to have many options but after a lot of prayer you have decided to commit to The University of Texas Austin @Martin_Football @CoachHutzler @CoachTomHerman pic.twitter.com/6j1MDLwHQz

— 8 T E E N (@Mor_iceB) May 10, 2020

The pledges of Blackwell and Jonathon Brooks, a three-star in-state running back from Hallettsville High, were part of a Longhorns’ recruiting uptick earlier this month. UT, though, lost some ground in recent days. Clayton Smith, a four-star linebacker out of Texarkana Texas High, chose Oklahoma over UT. And Landen King, a three-star tight end out of Atascocita, Texas, announced Friday that he was decommitting. He had just committed to the Longhorns on April 29.

The developments dropped UT’s class from No. 10 to No. 12 in the 247Sports Composite 2021 class rankings. UT has 10 commits.

Scouting reports on Blackwell and Brooks from their high school coaches suggest that they fit the mold of what UT and coach Tom Herman are looking to add to the program’s culture.

Carson Schindler, Hallettsville High’s quarterbacks, running backs and defensive backs coach, has been watching Brooks play for more than a decade now — Brooks played in the same youth league as Schindler’s younger brother, Rylan. Schindler said that even when Brooks was little, he held a tangible competitive edge.

“Practice, games — anything,” Schindler said. “If there’s a competition aspect to it, he wants to fight. He wants to compete hard.”

Brooks, at 6-feet, 185 pounds, has a penchant for toughness. Hallettsville head coach Tommy Psencik said that Brooks has demonstrated confidence and has grown more vocal throughout the past year.

“He’s one of those that’s gonna compete and when it looks like things are going against you, he’s the one that steps up and makes things happen,” Psencik said. “And he’s been that way for a long time in all sports.”

In addition to football, Brooks competes in track and basketball. Psencik swore that Brooks could be all-state if he chose to compete in baseball, too. But Brooks has shined most on the football field, though he did so quietly for a while.

The Longhorns were the first FBS program to express heavy interest in Brooks and, in November 2019, made the first offer.

“(UT running backs) coach Stan Drayton was the first one that laid eyes on him, he called me out of the blue one day and then he came down pretty quickly,” Psencik said. “They took an interest right away. He caught some highlights of him I guess on YouTube or Twitter or something.”

Brooks occasionally chatted with Psencik about his decision, but mostly “kept pretty quiet overall.” Psencik said that he had a gut feeling that Brooks would choose the Longhorns, though. Perhaps Brooks’ Twitter feed gave it away — as he shared about offers from Texas Tech, UTSA, Louisiana-Lafayette and Colorado State, his announcement of the Longhorns’ offer remained pinned to the top of his profile until he made his commitment. On May 15, he changed it to this:

COMMITTED 🤘🏽 #HookEm pic.twitter.com/kOHE2jqVGO

— Jonathon Brooks (@2brookss) May 15, 2020

Brooks’ decision came five days after Blackwell’s. Wager surmised that UT, “comparatively speaking,” was in on the defender “early and often” back in December.

The Longhorns were in the midst of a coaching staff overhaul at the time. Chris Ash was hired as defensive coordinator and Coleman Hutzler took over as linebackers coach. Wager, who’s entering his 15th season at Arlington Martin, has an established relationship with Herman, which helped streamline things.

“We’ve known each other for a long time,” Wager said. “That was the initial conversation, Coach Herman and I had. I said, ‘Hey, we got one you got to come see.’ And they were immediately on it.”

At 6-foot-1 and 196 pounds, Blackwell is considered slight for a linebacker, but that didn’t ward off big-time programs. Pride said that Blackwell’s frame appears set to add more weight after already making a noticeable physical transformation since his freshman season.

“He looks, not 180 degrees different,” Pride said, “but he looks drastically different than he did three years ago.”

Blackwell fits in at a handful of spots within Arlington Martin’s lineup, despite his primary position being outside linebacker. Blackwell displayed the ability to cover receivers out of the slot or drop back into deeper safety roles.

“There are very few positions on the defensive side of the ball that he couldn’t play for us,” Wager said. “And that would include defensive line. He’s a good edge rusher. He’s great in coverage. He’s smart. And then I think the other X-factor that could make him an immediate impact is that he is a dynamic special teams player.”

Blackwell blossomed during his junior year, fortifying a reputation for playing with great physicality and speed. He found his way into opposing backfields often. In fact, last season, he even showed a penchant for blocking punts and field goals.

“It’s just been a gradual build over the last couple years,” Pride said. “Early on, he’s making plays a lot. Then the longer that he’s played for us, those plays happen more and more often now.”

Brooks’ coaches lauded him in a similar light. Psencik has noticed the tailback’s speed increase. But it always comes back to his competitiveness.

“There’s times,” Psencik said, “where you think, ‘How in the world does he make 4, 5, 6 yards when there’s four or five guys around him?’ It’s him against four or five, and the next thing you know, he’s making positive yardage. In real stressful contact situations, he just pops back to the huddle like it’s nothing. When you look at how many times he’s done that, that’s the most impressive thing about him. For a tall, bigger guy, he makes a lot of yards in space. Sometimes, I don’t know. It just amazes me how he does it. He’s just so shifty as a player. Somehow, he makes it happen.”

UT’s backfield appears set for a few years with Keaontay Ingram entering his junior season, Roschon Johnson a sophomore and five-star signee Bijan Robinson joining the fold as a freshman. But the Longhorns needed to add a running back within this recruiting cycle, making Brooks’ decision significant.

As for Blackwell, his ability in coverage will be a welcome attribute for a Longhorns linebacking unit that struggled at times in pass coverage throughout the 2019 season.

“What I’ve seen throughout his career has been consistent,” Wager said. “He just loves the game and loves everything about the game. Not just the actual act of participating in it, but he loves the weight room, he loves the film. He’s a great teammate. They don’t come along very often like Morice Blackwell.”

• Like 6

Don't wanna sound too Tex-Ags-sunshine-pump-y here, but fuck it, maybe taking an approach that prioritizes evaluation and scheme fit is what our program needs. It'd be nice if we could shit out a lineup with nothing but five stars, but we're never going to pull that kind of class until we finally win. Maybe building our roster this way is how we accomplish that. 

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Don't wanna sound too Tex-Ags-sunshine-pump-y here, but fuck it, maybe taking an approach that prioritizes evaluation and scheme fit is what our program needs. It'd be nice if we could shit out a lineup with nothing but five stars, but we're never going to pull that kind of class until we finally win pay. Maybe building our roster this way is how we accomplish that. 

FIFY

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I wouldn't be against that either, but I don't see our holier-than-thou attitude changing any time soon.

OSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Oregon all have the same thing in common.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

OSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Oregon all have the same thing in common.

You left out Auburn?!?!  How could you?

Yes, building a roster is the beginning.  We are starting to get some solid depth.  I will take a 21-22 year old 3 star against most 18-19 year old higher rated players as long as they have been coached well and have been in a solid S&C program for 3-4 years.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

41 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Don't wanna sound too Tex-Ags-sunshine-pump-y here, but fuck it, maybe taking an approach that prioritizes evaluation and scheme fit is what our program needs. It'd be nice if we could shit out a lineup with nothing but five stars, but we're never going to pull that kind of class until we finally win. Maybe building our roster this way is how we accomplish that. 

Yeah. Well he right up there with TCU in no time. 

• Like 1