Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He was the composite 37 player in the country. 247 had him in the 70s or something though. And yes, I remember his history. Just pointing out that a guy outside the top 1000 is being compared to a guy who was a top 50 player and just got drafted. It feels like a PumpTheBrakes.gif moment, sir. 

You're also basing this on a ranking that has multiple iterations remaining to change. Do I agree that the comparison is a little off base - yes. However, JJ will be ranked much higher than he currently is when it's all said and done.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

You're also basing this on a ranking that has multiple iterations remaining to change. Do I agree that the comparison is a little off base - yes. However, JJ will be ranked much higher when it's all said and done.

Hope you’re right and hope he’s half as good as some folks here think he could be, my man. But yeah, his ranking and his offer list haven’t caught up to that comparison. That’s all I’m saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, you need an interpreter with these guys.  Could you interpret how one "harbors an injury" for me?

Harboring and injury is when you are manipulated into shooting up your wonky knee with anesthetics by your coach, Jon Voight. You blow out your knee and lose your free ride to Free Shoes U

tenor.gif?itemid=7582098

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I think I may have mentioned it before but one of my readers is a former coach who is now an oil executive whose son plays with David. He sent me a message in NOVEMBER and said "why the f**k hasn't Texas offered this kid? He's a more athletic Tim Crowder!" About six months later, we offer.

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

guess he doesn't think he's much of a route runner or something

His video showed 1 branch on the route tree. Duvernay wasn't much of route runner when he came to Texas, and got mediocre to abysmal coaching in his 4 years on campus. I think Coleman can coach the kid up, given what he did at Kansas State.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I think I may have mentioned it before but one of my readers is a former coach who is now an oil executive whose son plays with David. He sent me a message in NOVEMBER and said "why the f**k hasn't Texas offered this kid? He's a more athletic Tim Crowder!" About six months later, we offer.

I get it but it really isn't that late with a new staff on D. I really like the last 3 DL offers, in years past we would have offered all 3 in October and got laughed at.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Where the hell did Auburn come from?  Christian Chad doing work? Again?

What I was wondering but guess they surpassed clemson. Didn't know auburn's oline improved once we took Hand.

Edited by Mdhorn

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

What I was wondering but guess they surpassed clemson. Didn't know auburn's oline improved once we took Hand.

Many Auburn fans were happy to see Hand leave, fwiw. The chief complaint was he was an excellent recruiter, good at the run game, but his overall pass protection and development sucked balls. I’m not sure we’d have the same criticisms. His recruiting here hasn’t been stellar (imo) but it’s hard to tell if that’s Hand or the general uphill battle the program in general seems to be dealing with here. Player development hasnt been perfect but we’re better than we were, certainly. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Many Auburn fans were happy to see Hand leave, fwiw. The chief complaint was he was an excellent recruiter, good at the run game, but his overall pass protection and development sucked balls. I’m not sure we’d have the same criticisms. His recruiting here hasn’t been stellar (imo) but it’s hard to tell if that’s Hand or the general uphill battle the program in general seems to be dealing with here. Player development hasnt been perfect but we’re better than we were, certainly. 

Auburn hired the Ole Miss OL coach Jack Bicknell Jr. in Jan 2020. Bicknell also has a lot of NFL experience with stints at the NY Giants, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Miami.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/article/auburn-has-made-its-hire-for-the-offensive-line-coach-for-the-2020-football-season-142139323/

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Auburn hired the Ole Miss OL coach Jack Bicknell Jr. in Jan 2020. Bicknell also has a lot of NFL experience with stints at the NY Giants, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Miami.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/article/auburn-has-made-its-hire-for-the-offensive-line-coach-for-the-2020-football-season-142139323/

If hand can’t recruit and our line doesn’t dominate this year in both phases then Hermans next hire should be an NFL guy, imo. Put kids into the league. But I think we get it done this year. Would like to see Cosmi go high in the first and kerstetter by round 3. That should put this shit to an end. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, victory88 said:

Devin Duvernay could run one route when he came to Texas and was fast.  I’m sure glad we took that one trick pony.

Player A

• #37 composite overall player, #4 in Texas (.9803)
  • 5'11", 195 #
  • 4.32 40 
  • 4.24 20 yard shuttle

Player B

one guy was much higher rated across the board

one guy was faster across the board (more than just 40 time)

one guy was much larger/stronger (40 lb difference!)

these two guys don't really deserve to be compared in that the only things they really have in common is they are from the metroplex, play the same position, and played multiple sports in HS. there are a *lot* of players who match these things every single year. 

12 hours ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, I definitely get their difference in star ranking.  Although I don’t remember Durvernay being a composite 5 star.  One ranking (scout?) has him as a 5 star his junior year but other didn’t bump him up until his senior year.  I could be wrong through.  Regardless, he was a 5 star bc of his track times but evaluators all were concerned about his route running and him being a hit too stiff. 

Composite stuff is wonky, but 247's (not composite) first ranking of him was 39 in April 2014 - he was class of 2016.

12 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

You're also basing this on a ranking that has multiple iterations remaining to change. Do I agree that the comparison is a little off base - yes. However, JJ will be ranked much higher than he currently is when it's all said and done.

if JJ Henry ends up as a top 40 player in the country, from outside the top 1000 that would be basically unprecedented. 

if he jumps from outside the top 150 in Texas just before his Sr year to inside the top 25 that would be pretty unprecedented.

so if we end up comparing the #37 composite player in the country to the #100 player in Texas it is still incredibly lopsided. 

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

His video showed 1 branch on the route tree. Duvernay wasn't much of route runner when he came to Texas, and got mediocre to abysmal coaching in his 4 years on campus. I think Coleman can coach the kid up, given what he did at Kansas State.

i'm lazy  but here is Duvernay's HUDL if someone wants to compare:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2591194/Devin-Duvernay

Edited by NoName

Just revisited oline for the first time in awhile. Woof.

The Brocks can save the class, no doubt. Big NASA is pretty good, probably will end up a bit underrated. After them, who's left? Byrd, Fatheree, Foster, DJack, Wykoff, Leyrer, late riser. Erick Cade? Bounds and Myslinski? Fuck.

Byrd has been described as "anti-Texas" recently and skipped the Zoom call with Tommy and Hayden. Foster will end up at a compromise school that isn't Texas. Fatheree isn't a great prospect and will end up at LSU or the land thieves. DJack is an unlikely flip. Wykoff is a decent prospect and could be in play during decommit szn. 

If we miss on the Brocks, this is going to be one of the worst line hauls in recent memory. We'll be fighting off Baylor for late risers that they offered a year earlier. We were contemplating how to squeeze in Brock/Jackson/Brock/Conner/Byrd/Foster and we will end up with Bounds/Conner/Myslinski/some JAG/Leyrer. Ideally, you take Bounds, Myslinski, or Leyrer as your 5th. Not as a primary option. Fuck. Awful.

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The Brocks can save the class, no doubt. Big NASA is pretty good, probably will end up a bit underrated. After them, who's left? Byrd, Fatheree, Foster, DJack, Wykoff, Leyrer, late riser. Erick Cade? Bounds and Myslinski? Fuck.

Byrd has been described as "anti-Texas" recently and skipped the Zoom call with Tommy and Hayden. Foster will end up at a compromise school that isn't Texas. Fatheree isn't a great prospect and will end up at LSU or the land thieves. DJack is an unlikely flip. Wykoff is a decent prospect and could be in play during decommit szn. 

If we miss on the Brocks, this is going to be one of the worst line hauls in recent memory. We'll be fighting off Baylor for late risers that they offered a year earlier. We were contemplating how to squeeze in Brock/Jackson/Brock/Conner/Byrd/Foster and we will end up with Bounds/Conner/Myslinski/some JAG/Leyrer. Ideally, you take Bounds, Myslinski, or Leyrer as your 5th. Not as a primary option. Fuck. Awful.

Wykoff has plenty of red ass to him, I believe. I wouldn’t get your joes up. 

yes, it’s pretty fucking awful. How Byrd went from almost committing at one point to anti Texas is mind boggling. And the lukewarm pursuit of Jonah Miller despite our obvious deficiencies at OL this class is also a fucking head scratching banana we shoved in our own tailpipe. And at this point you’re Brock hope is a hail-Mary that mom and legacy nostalgia are enough to pull them from Alabama. Again, Hans was considered a plus recruiter at Auburn for his position. 

I think the negative recruiting and NFL shit is just non stop slamming Texas this point, and it’s working. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's early in the morning, man.

Land the Brocks, and the OL class is basically an A no matter what. Whiff on them, and you're hoping to scramble to find some Kerstetter, Cosmi, Christian Jones, Hookfin types who'd otherwise go to and start at Okie State, Houston, Cal, Baylor, etc for three years, which is doable, but not great for my bloodpressure. 

Henry reminds me of a Ryan Broyles type who is always open from the slot because of route running skills and being lightning quick, and he has good hands. Alexis looks to me like a middle class man's Duvernay, who has a good enough long speed + size to play Z until the slot position opens up, so the two (Henry and Alexis) aren't necessarily redundant. Earle, who to me is somewhere in between Waddle and Reagor, might make the others a little redundant, but no one should care about not having traditional WR fits in the class if that long shot of an event happens

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And the lukewarm pursuit of Jonah Miller despite our obvious deficiencies at OL this class is also a fucking head scratching banana we shoved in our own tailpipe.

I'd guess that they had Miller at guard, and didn't want to take him on his early timeline when they thought they had a good shot at Conner, Foster, and James Brock in the interior 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'd guess that they had Miller at guard, and didn't want to take him on his early timeline when they thought they had a good shot at Conner, Foster, and James Brock in the interior 

Maybe. But I'd also argue that before Miller pulled the trigger, Foster had already moved from possible to unlikely, and the Brockermeyers had been playing coy for several months. Not going changing course and going harder after a guy who might potentially be a swing Tackle/Guard was a mistake. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. But I'd also argue that before Miller pulled the trigger, Foster had already moved from possible to unlikely, and the Brockermeyers had been playing coy for several months. Not going changing course and going harder after a guy who might potentially be a swing Tackle/Guard was a mistake. 

Not sure Herman has learned better ways to protect a recruiting class if their 1st & 2nd choices decide to go elsewhere... HORNS better fuckin' win 10+ games this year if full schedule is played!!

(I'm sure losing a lot of 1st & 2nd choices wasn't an issue while mensa was an assistant at ohio state)

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure Herman has learned better ways to protect a recruiting class if their 1st & 2nd choices decide to go elsewhere... HORNS better fuckin' win 10+ games this year if full schedule is played!!

(I'm sure losing a lot of 1st & 2nd choices wasn't an issue while mensa was an assistant at ohio state)

That's an excellent point. Herman still seems to be learning how to manage and recruit to classes when he swings and misses on his first offer, and it makes sense that he likely didn't have to deal with that at Ohio State, nor did he have to waste his time chasing the fruit far out on the limbs when he was at Iowa State either. So yet another area where he's still learning on the job at Texas since he fucked up his momentum with last year's turd on the field. 

• Like 1