Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's an excellent point. Herman still seems to be learning how to manage and recruit to classes when he swings and misses on his first offer, and it makes sense that he likely didn't have to deal with that at Ohio State, nor did he have to waste his time chasing the fruit far out on the limbs when he was at Iowa State either. So yet another area where he's still learning on the job at Texas since he fucked up his momentum with last year's turd on the field. 

Idk, I think it's his arrogance. Specifically this season, he expects to perform on the field and flip some top targets. Preparing for all possible outcomes probably feels like a weakness to Tom. Spoiler alert, it's not. 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Crossposting from the 2020 Texas Offseason thread - big article from Max Olson on Herman. He touches on hires, what went wrong, etc.

Can I use this post as a prediction before I read the article? Is the answer to what went wrong some version of "Herman is an egotistical prick blind to his own flaws?"

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Just revisited oline for the first time in awhile. Woof.

The Brocks can save the class, no doubt. Big NASA is pretty good, probably will end up a bit underrated. After them, who's left? Byrd, Fatheree, Foster, DJack, Wykoff, Leyrer, late riser. Erick Cade? Bounds and Myslinski? Fuck.

Byrd has been described as "anti-Texas" recently and skipped the Zoom call with Tommy and Hayden. Foster will end up at a compromise school that isn't Texas. Fatheree isn't a great prospect and will end up at LSU or the land thieves. DJack is an unlikely flip. Wykoff is a decent prospect and could be in play during decommit szn. 

If we miss on the Brocks, this is going to be one of the worst line hauls in recent memory. We'll be fighting off Baylor for late risers that they offered a year earlier. We were contemplating how to squeeze in Brock/Jackson/Brock/Conner/Byrd/Foster and we will end up with Bounds/Conner/Myslinski/some JAG/Leyrer. Ideally, you take Bounds, Myslinski, or Leyrer as your 5th. Not as a primary option. Fuck. Awful.

How is it that Fatheree isn't considered a take here, but is likely to end up at a program that's in better shape than ours at the moment? If he's a take for LSU and OU, just spitballing here, but maybe he should be a take for us as well.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wykoff has plenty of red ass to him, I believe. I wouldn’t get your joes up. 

yes, it’s pretty fucking awful. How Byrd went from almost committing at one point to anti Texas is mind boggling. And the lukewarm pursuit of Jonah Miller despite our obvious deficiencies at OL this class is also a fucking head scratching banana we shoved in our own tailpipe. And at this point you’re Brock hope is a hail-Mary that mom and legacy nostalgia are enough to pull them from Alabama. Again, Hans was considered a plus recruiter at Auburn for his position. 

I think the negative recruiting and NFL shit is just non stop slamming Texas this point, and it’s working. 

I know we're not operating in a world of logic, but if there's one place we could counter NFL/development talk, it should be OL. Can we not tell these guys to google literally any 2021 mock draft on the entire internet so they can see a guy recruited and developed 100% by the current staff projected to go in the 1st round? Hell, Kerstetter was getting some good pub from PFF lately, too.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

How is it that Fatheree isn't considered a take here, but is likely to end up at a program that's in better shape than ours at the moment? If he's a take for LSU and OU, just spitballing here, but maybe he should be a take for us as well.

I know we're not operating in a world of logic, but if there's one place we could counter NFL/development talk, it should be OL. Can we not tell these guys to google literally any 2021 mock draft on the entire internet so they can see a guy recruited and developed 100% by the current staff projected to go in the 1st round? Hell, Kerstetter was getting some good pub from PFF lately, too.

I mean, personally, you're talking to an 16--17 year old kid. Sure, you can google some future mock drafts. But every other program can literally say "I've done this every ear for the past X years." One is wish-casting, the other is proven results. Even if you like our trend line, you've got to achieve it first to get credit for it. 

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We run very different offenses and have different asks of our OT and OL in general? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LSU has taken several OL that were not takes for us, Chasen Hines comes to mind. Darrell Simpson at OU. They simply aren't a scheme fit at Texas. 

• Like 1

Worth pointing out again - what with all of the concern over the state of OL recruiting - that pretty much everyone (9.95ers and coaches) are predicting that there will be a large number of decommits once schools open back up and visits start again.  There are more than twice as many commits now as there usually is at this point the last 5 years.  Hopefully a couple of those OOS kids we had been in on open things back up and give Texas another look.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Worth pointing out again - what with all of the concern over the state of OL recruiting - that pretty much everyone (9.95ers and coaches) are predicting that there will be a large number of decommits once schools open back up and visits start again.  There are more than twice as many commits now as there usually is at this point the last 5 years.  Hopefully a couple of those OOS kids we had been in on open things back up and give Texas another look.

Decommit SZN will benefit teams that perform in the fall. It especially benefits teams that perform well AND are very good at in-season recruiting. Let's hope Tom's promotion to CEO takes that into consideration. 

The only OL flip opportunities, imo, will be Miller, Walden, and an outside shot at Jackson. Maybe Wykoff, but Sid's right. He's always struck me as aggy. Everyone else appears too unrealistic for reasons other than pandemic issues. Even then, you're selling Texas against newly minted OL powerhou$e, Oregon, or NFL factory, fOSU. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Composite stuff is wonky, but 247's (not composite) first ranking of him was 39 in April 2014 - he was class of 2016.

if JJ Henry ends up as a top 40 player in the country, from outside the top 1000 that would be basically unprecedented. 

if he jumps from outside the top 150 in Texas just before his Sr year to inside the top 25 that would be pretty unprecedented.

so if we end up comparing the #37 composite player in the country to the #100 player in Texas it is still incredibly lopsided. 

i'm lazy  but here is Duvernay's HUDL if someone wants to compare:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2591194/Devin-Duvernay

Y'all need to look up the word "comparison." No one (at least not me) is saying that Henry and Duvernay are the same player. They're builds are wildly different and I think Henry is going to be a more well-rounded recruit out of high school. Sure, he doesn't have the freakish traits that made Duverney a top recruit (i.e. "potential"), but I believe he'd contribute more quickly than Devin (a la RHM or Josh Moore), especially at a school like Baylor or OSU. Duvernay totaled 29 receptions in his first two seasons in Austin, and I think Henry could easily do that. Will he have a better college career or longer NFL career the Duv; who the fuck knows. However, there is a comparison to be made between the two.

Edited by MuellerHorn

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Decommit SZN will benefit teams that perform in the fall. It especially benefits teams that perform well AND are very good at in-season recruiting. Let's hope Tom's promotion to CEO takes that into consideration. 

The only OL flip opportunities, imo, will be Miller, Walden, and an outside shot at Jackson. Maybe Wykoff, but Sid's right. He's always struck me as aggy. Everyone else appears too unrealistic for reasons other than pandemic issues. Even then, you're selling Texas against newly minted OL powerhou$e, Oregon, or NFL factory, fOSU. 

Oregon is one that sticks in my craw. And it's not just that they're paying kids. Christobal is a dirty fuck, but they have managed to go straight into pit stops for shooting themselves in the dick, negative perception of program trajectory, player development, everything. They flipped a switch and 2 years later they're recruiting their asses off and putting kids in the NFL. Meanwhile, we're still stuck in 2nd gear. Fucking infuriating. And lets not pretend the Pac 12 is a better football conference than the Big 12. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Land the Brocks, and the OL class is basically an A no matter what. Whiff on them, and you're hoping to scramble to find some Kerstetter, Cosmi, Christian Jones, Hookfin types who'd otherwise go to and start at Okie State, Houston, Cal, Baylor, etc for three years, which is doable, but not great for my bloodpressure. 

Texas has been recruiting Erick Cade for a long time for this very reason. I think Jacoby Jackson could see Texas get more serious if he is able to drop some bad weight before this season. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oregon is one that sticks in my craw. And it's not just that they're paying kids. Christobal is a dirty fuck, but they have managed to go straight into pit stops for shooting themselves in the dick, negative perception of program trajectory, player development, everything. They flipped a switch and 2 years later they're recruiting their asses off and putting kids in the NFL. Meanwhile, we're still stuck in 2nd gear. Fucking infuriating. And lets not pretend the Pac 12 is a better football conference than the Big 12. 

Oregon is hip AF and has approximately 1700 different uniform combinations. Paying these kids on top of all of that should be illegal....

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Had to look it up just now - over the last 5 years Oregon has had 17 draft picks (the same as Texas) but they've had 2 QB's drafted in the top 6 and 4 1st round picks overall.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Had to look it up just now - over the last 5 years Oregon has had 17 draft picks (the same as Texas) but they've had 2 QB's drafted in the top 6 and 4 1st round picks overall.

In my paragraph I was speaking more to their "perception" than their actual accomplishments. I guess they're not being negative recruiting by everyone around them saying they don't put kids in the NFL. 

• Like 1

Recruiting right now means nothing. The Pac-12 may not play football at all this year, personally I think it's highly unlikely that occurs, but those dumbfucks may actually do it. If the Pac-12 cancels their season, all bets are off on all currently committed prospects. Michigan is also toying with the idea of no on campus classes. Again that would be another big chip to fall as far as recruiting goes.

Until there is more certainty that a 2020 season actually happens, everyone is wish casting right now as to what will happen with recruiting.

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

In my paragraph I was speaking more to their "perception" than their actual accomplishments. I guess they're not being negative recruiting by everyone around them saying they don't put kids in the NFL. 

Challenge is Texas has been putting kids in the NFL as UDFA vs 1st day picks.

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Recruiting right now means nothing. The Pac-12 may not play football at all this year, personally I think it's highly unlikely that occurs, but those dumbfucks may actually do it. If the Pac-12 cancels their season, all bets are off on all currently committed prospects. Michigan is also toying with the idea of no on campus classes. Again that would be another big chip to fall as far as recruiting goes.

Until there is more certainty that a 2020 season actually happens, everyone is wish casting right now as to what will happen with recruiting.

This is not at all accurate. Recruiting will go on regardless of whether the PAC-12 or Michigan play, or even if the whole damn season is just cancelled. These kids are going to be recruited and are going to commit to schools regardless. And, while I can't quite believe it, it's looking increasingly likely that this season will be played, regardless of whether it's done safely. The questions will be how a cancelled or partial season will impact redshirts, eligibility, program scholarship numbers, class size limits, etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This is not at all accurate. Recruiting will go on regardless of whether the PAC-12 or Michigan play, or even if the whole damn season is just cancelled. These kids are going to be recruited and are going to commit to schools regardless. And, while I can't quite believe it, it's looking increasingly likely that this season will be played, regardless of whether it's done safely. The questions will be how a cancelled or partial season will impact redshirts, eligibility, program scholarship numbers, class size limits, etc.

No one's saying recruiting will stop. Simply having your football program being placed on the backburner while every other conference/team is playing football isn't going to be ideal for recruiting (unless you were gunna suck).

And don't think outside coaches won't be selling those kids on this all happening again, affecting them when they're actually on campus. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Decommit SZN will be wild, for sure. But, for no other reason than kids deciding to secure an early spot and moving on to better situations, or being bumped out in favor of the aforementioned. 

Football will happen in the fall for every conference in some form or other. The P12 won't be the odd man out. Larry Scott is dumb af, but he won't let his network sit idle in the fall. I would guess, if anything, that they have a delayed start that eliminates their non-conference games (and in turn, any hopes of a playoff berth). Either way, even if they didn't play a season, why would that effect 2021 recruits? They may give a transfer exception without a season and that might actually help with a bunch of 2021 kids that see a path to early playing time at big time schools. It's unprecedented shit. They'll still get someone in the Rose Bowl. The PAC 12 won't disappear. 

If a coach out West can't overcome "bUt WhAt If ThErE iS aNoThEr GlObAl PaNdEmIc?!?!", then they have bigger issues. 

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Decommit SZN will be wild, for sure. But, for no other reason than kids deciding to secure an early spot and moving on to better situations, or being bumped out in favor of the aforementioned. 

Football will happen in the fall for every conference in some form or other. The P12 won't be the odd man out. Larry Scott is dumb af, but he won't let his network sit idle in the fall. I would guess, if anything, that they have a delayed start that eliminates their non-conference games (and in turn, any hopes of a playoff berth). Either way, even if they didn't play a season, why would that effect 2021 recruits? They may give a transfer exception without a season and that might actually help with a bunch of 2021 kids that see a path to early playing time at big time schools. It's unprecedented shit. They'll still get someone in the Rose Bowl. The PAC 12 won't disappear. 

If a coach out West can't overcome "bUt WhAt If ThErE iS aNoThEr GlObAl PaNdEmIc?!?!", then they have bigger issues. 

Agree that it's likely not to happen, but disagree in how much of an impact selling a kid on another global pandemic cancelling another PAC12 football season will have when there would probably be only 78 articles citing WHO warnings of another tick-up while already living through one cancelled season and oh yah: 17 y/os.

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Larry Scott is dumb af, but he won't let his network sit idle in the fall.

That's not going to be Larry Scott's choice.  Those university presidents aren't going to listen to that assclown when they decide if it's safe to play football.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wykoff has plenty of red ass to him, I believe. I wouldn’t get your joes up.  yes, it’s pretty fucking awful. How Byrd went from almost committing at one point to anti Texas is mind boggling. And the lukewarm pursuit of Jonah Miller despite our obvious deficiencies at OL this class is also a fucking head scratching banana we shoved in our own tailpipe.  Again, Hand was considered a plus recruiter at Auburn for his position.  I think the negative recruiting and NFL shit is just non stop slamming Texas this point, and it’s working. 

The last statement reminded me of a question that I have for Surly.  Not trying to make excuses, but rather just a fact -- TEXAS  is the biggest target for negative recruiting in the B12 right??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

The last statement reminded me of a question that I have for Surly.  Not trying to make excuses, but rather just a fact -- TEXAS  is the biggest target for negative recruiting in the B12 right??

That ain’t a question. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Sounds like sour grapes, but could we make a case for most negatively recruited university in CFB? We have a conference with 3 other teams inside the state. Another in state program in the SEC that sells its recruits on please don't choose Texas, and we're in a fertile recruiting ground for probably a half dozen other major programs.  I would imagine Alabama is probably up there due to the dominance of their conference. Maybe Michigan due to proximity of Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan St? USC maybe?

15 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Sounds like sour grapes, but could we make a case for most negatively recruited university in CFB? We have a conference with 3 other teams inside the state. Another in state program in the SEC that sells its recruits on please don't choose Texas, and we're in a fertile recruiting ground for probably a half dozen other major programs.  I would imagine Alabama is probably up there due to the dominance of their conference. Maybe Michigan due to proximity of Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan St? USC maybe?

Not sure the most, but in the Top 6...

No doubt when Notre Dame, USC, Bama, ohio state, Michigan or the Texas Football programs are down the ESPN/FOX/CBS and $9.95ers load up their quivers and take dead aim on any misery going on at those schools...

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Texas better win 10 plus games.

Yes, but realistically, Texas needs to be playing for the conference with a shot at the playoff to procure the services of the Brocks, imo. 9 regular season and a bowl win ain't gonna cut it. 10-2 could happen without a conf. champ berth and that wouldn't do it.

Blake has looked at the roster, he knows this is the year. The test isn't whether Texas is trending up, it's how many games Tom can win with a stacked, experienced roster. If Herman can't win the conference, at minimum, they gone. 

• Like 2

someone is really going to have to explain to me the kind of psychotic person that thinks Carl’s behavior is funny. Not outsiders, I mean Carl himself. Somewhere there’s a guy who thinks this act is wildly hilarious and he, or copycat posters, just keep doing it either laughing to themselves or satisfyingly hit enter and think they’ve truly made the online world a smarter, more informed place. I find either option disturbing for different reasons. 

• Like 6

do we have an age question during sign up? If not, there should be with an accompanying age limit policy. Would help keep stupid 13 year old kids off this site. Other questions would also be nice, like "do you regularly use the word "thot" with your fellow 13 year old friends during recess?"

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

someone is really going to have to explain to me the kind of psychotic person that thinks Carl’s behavior is funny. Not outsiders, I mean Carl himself. Somewhere there’s a guy who thinks this act is wildly hilarious and he, or copycat posters, just keep doing it either laughing to themselves or satisfyingly hit enter and think they’ve truly made the online world a smarter, more informed place. I find either option disturbing for different reasons. 

Has to be an energy vampire. Has to be. 

1 hour ago, thotpatrol said:

i keep seeing all this talk about negative recruiting but no one has yet to mention the biggest factor of them all.......the thots/coeds on campus r just not up to par.......there was a joke amongst recruits in group chats about how awful the girls at university of texas were compared to other schools.........

I thot we would never hear from you again.  Just wishful thinking on my part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thotpatrol said:

i luv texas but if they dont get rid of the pretentious academic rules the thots r never going to be up to par again.......aggy has changed the game in the past 5 years by becoming a diploma mill their school has exploded with beautiful thots.......texas thots just keep trending down & r the worst in the big12.........i met an ex player from texas who transferred because of how he was lied to by the coaching staff about how good the thots were at texas he said the only good looking girls on campus were volleyball players it was brutal 

steve brule what GIF

• Like 1