Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

So we’re just gonna gloss over Fong saying that Milroe is looking around? Or at least listening? Are the local $9.95 shitheels confirming this?

It's been known for a while. Alabama talked to him after they lost their QB commit to North Carolina. 

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

So we’re just gonna gloss over Fong saying that Milroe is looking around? Or at least listening? Are the local $9.95 shitheels confirming this?

For what it's worth, Milroe himself has stressed that he only keeps those lines of communication open for the sake of networking/relationships. Interpret that as you wish.

Let's hope Bama gets that kid from California. I can't see Milroe leaving for Miami of all places.

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Milroe has been kicking the tires on Auburn until they signed Davis. Subbing them for bama isn’t new. Yurich hasn’t exactly been murdering this recruitment. 

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Successful Programs Recruit Nationally...

There's definitely a trend line, but it's also a feature of a run of championships from Alabama and Clemson - those small-state schools absolutely have to recruit nationally, and they both treat Georgia like in-state recruiting. Florida State and LSU have a noticeably lower percentage of OOS players versus the surrounding years. 

Urban Meyer is the biggest outlier versus the schools around his championships - really solid high school football in Florida and Ohio, but he recruits nationally anyway.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Successful Programs Recruit Nationally...

correlation/causation. Teams that are winning have the ability to recruit high level players nationally.  It's not the recruiting nationally that leads to winning, although I would imagine winning and recruiting nationally naturally tend to build on each other at some point because success tends to follow teams with stockpiled talent.  

For comparison purposes, anybody know what the percentage currently is for Texas/OU/Michigan/Florida?

I wonder whether the administration is partially responsible for creating what could be a bad self fulfilling prophecy that really damages the program for a long time.

Herman has shown flashes of being a very good coach. He’s won some big bowl games, had a very good 2018, beaten favored teams, etc. However, he’s seen as being on the hot seat this year and gone if he doesn’t win big.

The administration has made a massive mistake by letting those rumors go unchecked, even if they are true. Those rumors may have made it difficult for Herman to hire top coaches at various positions, including DB and WR.

It may be hurting our ability to land top talent. The administration should have demonstrated more support for Herman and then if things fell apart this year, re-evaluated at the end of the year. It does no good whatsoever to let those rumors out and not counter them. Would it help? Yes. How much? Hard to say, but there’s no downside to showing better support now.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I wonder whether the administration is partially responsible for creating what could be a bad self fulfilling prophecy that really damages the program for a long time.

Herman has shown flashes of being a very good coach. He’s won some big bowl games, had a very good 2018, beaten favored teams, etc. However, he’s seen as being on the hot seat this year and gone if he doesn’t win big.

The administration has made a massive mistake by letting those rumors go unchecked, even if they are true. Those rumors may have made it difficult for Herman to hire top coaches at various positions, including DB and WR.

It may be hurting our ability to land top talent. The administration should have demonstrated more support for Herman and then if things fell apart this year, re-evaluated at the end of the year. It does no good whatsoever to let those rumors out and not counter them. Would it help? Yes. How much? Hard to say, but there’s no downside to showing better support now.

What on earth do you want them to do? CDC has frequently said he believes in Herman and gave him a fuckton of money to go hire a new staff.

It's like the inverse of the basketball board mouthbreathers who say "CDC should publicly tell Shaka he needs to beat Georgetown or he's gone"

• Like 2

What on earth do you want them to do? CDC has frequently said he believes in Herman and gave him a fuckton of money to go hire a new staff.
It's like the inverse of the basketball board mouthbreathers who say "CDC should publicly tell Shaka he needs to beat Georgetown or he's gone"

Dude, are you serious? This is the support he’s given publicly. “You get one chance Tom”. Even if it’s true, you don’t say it.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Chris-Del-Conte-Tom-Herman-coaching-staff-changes-one-chance-143856116/Amp/
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'd slap a Head Coach in Waiting title onto his current Head Coach title

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Sure he’s making decisions that indicate support, like paying coordinators, so why say “you get one chance Tom?” It’s not productive. It doesn’t help the situation in any way. If you are trying to signal to boosters that you will take decisive action when the time is right, then just call up those BMD’s and tell them directly.

And if you are so confident that the administration has shown so much support, then why is the rumor out there in the first place? It’s not just competing programs throwing shit against the wall. It’s people on the inside blabbing. Again, totally unproductive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

TCU. OU. tOSU. LSU. aggy. Nebraska. Auburn. Florida. Penn State. <--- here's a list of schools that I am aware of that have pushed a narrative this off-season that Tom Herman is on the hot seat and that this is very likely his last. The money to hire a new staff has been positioned as a "last ditch effort to right the ship". Fatterson has leveraged his working relationship with CDC as a point of emphasis. "Trust me, I KNOW what's going on down in Austin, etc ..."  and there is simply no clear counter that Herman or his staff can offer. 

There are several things that CDC could've done and said at this point to assuage those rumors. He has not. It appears that he's purposely avoiding the entire situation because of the amount of backlash and vitriol associated with his fumbling of the basketball situations. Between the lack of action against an abject failure in Shaka to clear and decisive action against Aston for not getting the Baylor monkey off her back, to the lack of communication about the football program's leadership he has been pretty disastrous and speaks to the fact that I don't think he understands this side of his job and more importantly what it means to be "Texas" as a brand. He's done a remarkable job improving the gameday atmosphere for football, etc ... truly outstanding work, but he looks way out of his depth trying to handle the basketball and football programs right now and is a detriment to both.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Dude, are you serious? This is the support he’s given publicly. “You get one chance Tom”. Even if it’s true, you don’t say it.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Chris-Del-Conte-Tom-Herman-coaching-staff-changes-one-chance-143856116/Amp/

That’s a realistic comment. Coaches don’t get two staff reboots unless they win. CDC is also said as recently as last week that any notion Tom Herman is on  the hot seat is patently absurd. And he said it with disgust. If Herman wins 8 he still isn’t fired imo. 

• Like 2

That’s a realistic comment. Coaches don’t get two staff reboots unless they win. CDC is also said as recently as last week that any notion Tom Herman is on  the hot seat is patently absurd. And he said it with disgust. If Herman wins 8 he still isn’t fired imo. 

Of course the comment is realistic. You just never say it. Savvy public communicators understand the difference between what you say vs what you do. Do you have a link for cdc’s comment supporting Herman? I’d be interested to see it.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

so why say “you get one chance Tom?” It’s not productive

I think you're reading too much into what he said regarding that one chance. It wasn't really and indictment of Tom, as much as it was just a statement of fact.

But the important part is how 16/17 yos read into it, so I see you there. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

TCU. OU. tOSU. LSU. aggy. Nebraska. Auburn. Florida. Penn State. <--- here's a list of schools that I am aware of that have pushed a narrative this off-season that Tom Herman is on the hot seat and that this is very likely his last. The money to hire a new staff has been positioned as a "last ditch effort to right the ship". Fatterson has leveraged his working relationship with CDC as a point of emphasis. "Trust me, I KNOW what's going on down in Austin, etc ..."  and there is simply no clear counter that Herman or his staff can offer. 

There are several things that CDC could've done and said at this point to assuage those rumors. He has not. It appears that he's purposely avoiding the entire situation because of the amount of backlash and vitriol associated with his fumbling of the basketball situations. Between the lack of action against an abject failure in Shaka to clear and decisive action against Aston for not getting the Baylor monkey off her back, to the lack of communication about the football program's leadership he has been pretty disastrous and speaks to the fact that I don't think he understands this side of his job and more importantly what it means to be "Texas" as a brand. He's done a remarkable job improving the gameday atmosphere for football, etc ... truly outstanding work, but he looks way out of his depth trying to handle the basketball and football programs right now and is a detriment to both.  

Agree, CDC is not helping Herman who has built a pretty nice team.  We finally have depth and a great opportunity to win the B12.  Who replaces Herman if we go 9-3?  Please don't tell me we go for another PC hire.  We've had enough of Shaka Smart.  He is a disaster.  I think that Herman is getting the shaft compared to other privileged coaches at Texas.  If we fire Herman for 9-3, good luck.

• Fuck You 10

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Of course the comment is realistic. You just never say it. Savvy public communicators understand the difference between what you say vs what you do. Do you have a link for cdc’s comment supporting Herman? I’d be interested to see it.

Yeah I can find it but I’m driving. Lemme get home

7 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Agree, CDC is not helping Herman who has built a pretty nice team.  We finally have depth and a great opportunity to win the B12.  Who replaces Herman if we go 9-3?  Please don't tell me we go for another PC hire.  We've had enough of Shaka Smart.  He is a disaster.  I think that Herman is getting the shaft compared to other privileged coaches at Texas.  If we fire Herman for 9-3, good luck.

Oh lord

Edited by texifornia

9 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Take your shit-takes to the clock room.

From CDC podcast with CHip Brown:

Chris Dukes

Feb 14, 2020

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte was quick to dismiss any concerns of head coach Tom Herman being on the hot seat entering 2020. 

There has been some speculation among the media that this could be a make-or-break year for Herman, who brought in seven new assistant coaches following a disappointing 8-5 campaign in 2020, but on a recent podcast with 247Sports, Del Conte called the concept of setting expectations for Herman 'crazy talk'.

“I think that’s crazy talk, (host) Chip (brown),” Del Conte said. “I mean that. Think about it. He’s been here three years. (The) first year was seven wins. Last year, we won 10 and won the Sugar Bowl. This year we won eight and won the Alamo Bowl. Our expectations are high, but we also have to look at where the program was. When was the last time we won three bowl games in a row? Look at the building blocks we’re putting forth in recruiting. This is not … oh you’ve got to win x-amount. Tom made some really difficult choices in letting go a lot of people that were dear friends of his and were with him a long time. He said, ‘We’re going to make changes.’ In fact, Yurcich, what a great offensive coordinator. What a great offensive mind. We have, what, nine seniors on offense or eight or nine on defense coming back? Really solid team. Like anything else, barring injuries, you have a chance to have a really special season.”

While you don't expect an athletic director to issue a public ultimatum to a sitting head coach, this still has to be seen as positive news for those who want to see Herman stick around.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/texas-football-ut-ad-offers-vote-of-confidence-for-tom-herman-in-recent-podcast

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

From CDC podcast with CHip Brown:
Chris Dukes
Feb 14, 2020
Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte was quick to dismiss any concerns of head coach Tom Herman being on the hot seat entering 2020. 
There has been some speculation among the media that this could be a make-or-break year for Herman, who brought in seven new assistant coaches following a disappointing 8-5 campaign in 2020, but on a recent podcast with 247Sports, Del Conte called the concept of setting expectations for Herman 'crazy talk'.
“I think that’s crazy talk, (host) Chip (brown),” Del Conte said. “I mean that. Think about it. He’s been here three years. (The) first year was seven wins. Last year, we won 10 and won the Sugar Bowl. This year we won eight and won the Alamo Bowl. Our expectations are high, but we also have to look at where the program was. When was the last time we won three bowl games in a row? Look at the building blocks we’re putting forth in recruiting. This is not … oh you’ve got to win x-amount. Tom made some really difficult choices in letting go a lot of people that were dear friends of his and were with him a long time. He said, ‘We’re going to make changes.’ In fact, Yurcich, what a great offensive coordinator. What a great offensive mind. We have, what, nine seniors on offense or eight or nine on defense coming back? Really solid team. Like anything else, barring injuries, you have a chance to have a really special season.”
While you don't expect an athletic director to issue a public ultimatum to a sitting head coach, this still has to be seen as positive news for those who want to see Herman stick around.
https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/texas-football-ut-ad-offers-vote-of-confidence-for-tom-herman-in-recent-podcast

Thanks I do recall this and it is helpful to Herman. But it’s also a media source that has a listenership of about 10 people. If the administration really wanted to ramp down the rumors that are hurting recruiting they would be more proactive with PR. I guess since I deal with PR all the time it’s obvious to me that more could be done.
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Dude, there are people out there advocating for firing Herman if he goes 9-3.  Yet, we have kept Shaka Smart around for how many years.  He has truly stunk up the place.

Jesus H christ - take this to the fire CTH thread, or football, or cloak room, or really anywhere but the damn recruiting thread.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Also:  The 2019 video of the FOX pregame crew bashing Texas for their lack of both NFL Draft picks and B12 Championships won in last 5 years is definitely being used by blOU to negative recruit Herman.

(Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Brady Quinn,  Charles Woodson and Urban Meyer)

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its like I'm in bizarro-fucking-world.  Do people here think that CDC doesn't know how to do his job?

I think he's learning on the job and that success at TCU and success at Texas are measured in very different ways and that he's had a really cold hard lesson in what public failure means in your day-to-day life on the job at Texas.

Do you think he's done a good job handling the basketball program? I'm going to bet the answer is no, because it's clearly no. 

His handling of both football and basketball programs are being used against those programs in recruiting right now. That's not opinion - it's fact. Some aspects of his role he's handled exceptionally well and it's clear where his strengths are but his weaknesses are also apparent and he's mired in an AD parallel to an underperforming 7-5 season. His inability to not only handle but more to the point message his direction, support, and vision is directly impacting recruiting. Right now, he's not utilizing the staff and tools at his disposal. I don't know if he's too stubborn to do so, a la Todd Orlando, or if he's simply flummoxed by how to craft the messaging but it's not being handled well. 

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

STOP IGNORING THE BEST NEWS OF THE DAY

This shit means they have a plan on how to pitch monetizing NLI at Texas, and early data says that Austin is the strongest market for college personalities in the country. Big fucking deal.

This will be devastating in recruiting.  Can't wait.  Get the word out!  I can't wait to see the opposing media and fans media melt down over this.  We have to find a way to spread this to all players. 

Edited by 2300 Nueces