Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Stop Austin pro soccer ASAP!

The larger point being that the University of Texas is our pro franchise. With the current and projected population of Austin, are there any other cities that can push that narrative? 

Largest cities without a pro sports franchise (closest school: city - population):

5) UofArizona: Tucson, AZ - 503k

4) UofNM: Albuquerque, NM - 559k

3) Louisville: Louisville, KY - 616k

2) UTEP: El Paso, TX - 683k

1) Texas: Austin, TX - 964k

56 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Agree, CDC is not helping Herman who has built a pretty nice team.  We finally have depth and a great opportunity to win the B12.  Who replaces Herman if we go 9-3?  Please don't tell me we go for another PC hire.  We've had enough of Shaka Smart.  He is a disaster.  I think that Herman is getting the shaft compared to other privileged coaches at Texas.  If we fire Herman for 9-3, good luck.

This is a radically unfair post. CDC didn't hire Herman - he inherited him. CDC would have NEVER made a hire like Tom Herman. 3 years in, Tom had a crap season that involved loses to ISU, TCU and Baylor. That should never happen at the University of Texas. There is no excuse.

I'd be shocked if CDC didn't already have the buyout $ lined up to roll Tom and his staff after this season. We aren't winning double digit games, and CDC knows it. Almost no chance we win 9 games. 

Some of you will think this is a harsh post, but it isn't. Tom isn't the guy for this job. Not by a long-shot. CDC knows it. Let's judge him by who he hires in December.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Agree, CDC is not helping Herman who has built a pretty nice team.  We finally have depth and a great opportunity to win the B12.  Who replaces Herman if we go 9-3?  Please don't tell me we go for another PC hire.  We've had enough of Shaka Smart.  He is a disaster.  I think that Herman is getting the shaft compared to other privileged coaches at Texas.  If we fire Herman for 9-3, good luck.

There is 0 chance Herman would get fired for 9-3.

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

There is 0 chance Herman would get fired for 9-3.

CV19 has guaranteed Herman can go 7-5 and still keep job. He will play "new offense, players not on campus card" etc etc etc

He is going nowhere, especially with combo of CV19 & oil prices. Add in state revenues dropping and UT having zero appetite for a buyout and Herman is as safe as any HC could possibly be.

19 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The larger point being that the University of Texas is our pro franchise. With the current and projected population of Austin, are there any other cities that can push that narrative? 

Largest cities without a pro sports franchise (closest school: city - population):

The University of Texas is THE Pro franchise of Texas.  The Cowboys are a dying brand with the Jones at the helm.  Jerry continues to suck the life out of that team every time the broadcasts show his crypt keeper mug.  CDC has a large task in front of him.  Don't fuck it up.

9 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

The University of Texas is THE Pro franchise of Texas.  The Cowboys are a dying brand with the Jones at the helm.  Jerry continues to suck the life out of that team every time the broadcasts show his crypt keeper mug.  CDC has a large task in front of him.  Don't fuck it up.

Cowboys suck?  Sure.  Dying brand?  hahahahaha

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, futureman said:

really?  so when do the 5-stars start committing?

The ones who look at or are allowed to look out long term vs short term should definitely think about it. The ones who look for or have "uncles/trainers/parents" looking at cash in hand will continue to keep it real...

Just now, 2300 Nueces said:

Says the sooner hanging out on a Longhorn forum.

Yep, I seem to have a lot of trouble around here.  I'm pretty sure I'm better liked than you...hell the first time I engage you, I get a reply telling me you're the village idiot.  Congrats?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Carrington pressing this hard today. Let's hope there's a substantive plan here, and not just land thief style, logo whoring

We did do the whole "personal brand logos" for the 2020 recruiting class, so I'd say between BC and the creative team that there's been more than a little bit of thought put into the plan for how to capitalize here.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

This is a radically unfair post. CDC didn't hire Herman - he inherited him. CDC would have NEVER made a hire like Tom Herman. 3 years in, Tom had a crap season that involved loses to ISU, TCU and Baylor. That should never happen at the University of Texas. There is no excuse.

I'd be shocked if CDC didn't already have the buyout $ lined up to roll Tom and his staff after this season. We aren't winning double digit games, and CDC knows it. Almost no chance we win 9 games. 

Some of you will think this is a harsh post, but it isn't. Tom isn't the guy for this job. Not by a long-shot. CDC knows it. Let's judge him by who he hires in December.

wrong vince vaughn GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ya. I get it. It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

We better be pushing the pay for likeness angle HARD. Austin market is naturally better than most other markets. We are a "college" town so no pro sports like New York or LA, and it's in Texas with 30 million people so no small population like OU or Bama. And there are tons of big business here unlike shit hole college station or Lubbock. etc. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

This is wishcasting on several levels. It also feels like you just stepped out of your hot tub time machine because this ^^^ early 2018 idea/image of CDC is a far cry from who we have as AD in 2020.  

I don't know what to tell you but CDC isn't grabbing anything by the balls or taking charge of jack shit. He most assuredly does not have football buyout money ready to roll. The guy has gotten his ass steamrolled by BMDs and has somehow balked at or simply can't come up with $10-15MM -- at fucking Texas -- to fire an abject failure in Shaka Smart. Yet you think he's gonna swagger in and "fix football" or make some kind of kick ass hire? 

Patterson had been at TCU for 12 fucking years by the time CDC rolled into town and Schlossnagle had been there for 8. He was simply driving the bus and raising money to improve facilities and game day experience, and he did both. Very well. Extremely well. He brought them into line with a P5 school, and he did it VERY quickly. On the flip side, I think CDC might only have 1 football hire on his AD resume and it was at Rice -- where he signed Todd Graham to an extension only to lose him 3 days later to Tulsa. So,  after an extensive search he hired David Bailiff over Larry Coker,  neither of which scream vision to me.I guess CDC did make two hires in basketball at TCU. Trent Johnson, who was an abject failure. He followed up that 4 year misery with the hiring of a TCU legacy in Jaime Dixon that was actively begging boosters for the job while at Pitt. So not exactly a difficult search. I was very excited by the Del Conte hiring and my expectations were very high. He's got a lot of learning to do to be the guy that I envisioned, not unlike Tom Herman. 

FWIW, I think Texas wins 10+. Todd Orlando was very bad last season. Very bad.  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Mr. Poplular, lol.  Needing some rep?

I don't think the doctor who's been fighting in the hospitals on the front lines of the Coronavirus in Chicago, giving first hand insight to surly on the thread in the daily texan, on top of being a fairly active and consistent poster over here on the recruiting boards for years, needs to show up here to whore for rep, dude. We're not aggy here. He can be a filthy, mouth-breathing sooner (and he is), but most of us here can take him has a poster based on the summation of his merits. 

You do seem a little short on rep though bud. 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, gordogg24p said:

We did do the whole "personal brand logos" for the 2020 recruiting class, so I'd say between BC and the creative team that there's been more than a little bit of thought put into the plan for how to capitalize here.

Lots of schools did that, including Oklahoma I believe. I don't even think we were the FIRST to do it, fwiw. Also, equating a talented graphics and recruiting department with running an entire marketing/advertising/branding plan and development department to get kids paid is like assuming some dude has a plan to be a Michelin star chef because he makes a tasty hamburger. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

We better be pushing the pay for likeness angle HARD. Austin market is naturally better than most other markets. We are a "college" town so no pro sports like New York or LA, and it's in Texas with 30 million people so no small population like OU or Bama. And there are tons of big business here unlike shit hole college station or Lubbock. etc. 

It would suck for OU, but a part of me would love seeing the SEC cry and cry and cry some more about how unfair this is.  It will be glorious.  

• Like 1