Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of schools did that, including Oklahoma I believe. I don't even think we were the FIRST to do it, fwiw. Also, equating a talented graphics and recruiting department with running an entire marketing/advertising/branding plan and development department to get kids paid is like assuming some dude has a plan to be a Michelin star chef because he makes a tasty hamburger. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of schools did that, including Oklahoma I believe. I don't even think we were the FIRST to do it, fwiw. Also, equating a talented graphics and recruiting department with running an entire marketing/advertising/branding plan and development department to get kids paid is like assuming some dude has a plan to be a Michelin star chef because he makes a tasty hamburger. 

This is well said. 

The recruiting organization won't change much, but player personnel is going to get an overhaul. Branding is not something a recruiting staff can take over. There will be an athlete brand development team, a brand management team that probably includes a lawyer or two, at least one CPA, and probably a business development staffer to expand the territory and break into new markets. 

I'm not intimately familiar with the SEZ, but a player brand showcase center replete with all forms of digital content would be a welcome addition (or repurposing of otherwise allotted space). Imagine a kid getting to strap on a VR headset and seeing the vision that the branding team has for monetizing NIL, tailored specifically to that kid. Texas can corner the market on NIL, if they want to. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And right now there are a fuckton of talented, furloughed/laid off  ad/pr/marketing available that would be thrilled to relocate here.  Not to mention the owners and CEOs in the field who are Texas Exes.  We will have our pick of the creme de la creme.  I know several and they can be had for the asking.

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is well said. 

The recruiting organization won't change much, but player personnel is going to get an overhaul. Branding is not something a recruiting staff can take over. There will be an athlete brand development team, a brand management team that probably includes a lawyer or two, at least one CPA, and probably a business development staffer to expand the territory and break into new markets. 

I'm not intimately familiar with the SEZ, but a player brand showcase center replete with all forms of digital content would be a welcome addition (or repurposing of otherwise allotted space). Imagine a kid getting to strap on a VR headset and seeing the vision that the branding team has for monetizing NIL, tailored specifically to that kid. Texas can corner the market on NIL, if they want to. 

If we don’t, I’ll view this as the biggest failure in UT (not just athletics) in the last 50 years. Maybe ever. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Sounds like players are coming back to Texas June 1st and having a 7 day quarantine period with voluntary workouts starting on the 8th

Thought it was June 15th for voluntary workouts?

"Big 12 Approves Phase In for Student-Athletes to Return to Campus"

5/22/2020 

The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors today approved a phase in for student-athletes to return to campus to engage in voluntary activities related to sport participation.

Beginning June 15 football student-athletes will be permitted to access campus athletic facilities and support personnel for voluntary conditioning and training exercises.  Volleyball, soccer and cross country student-athletes are able to return July 1.  All other Big 12 student-athletes may return to campus for voluntary sport-related activities July 15. 

This phased approach is intended to permit gradual adoption of best practices for mitigation of COVID-19 as well as ensuring a safe environment and appropriately prepared facilities.  Until these dates, the Conference’s activities policy that was scheduled to sunset May 31 remains in effect for all Big 12 student-athletes.

https://big12sports.com/news/2020/5/22/conference-big-12-approves-phase-in-for-student-athletes-to-return-to-campus.aspx

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

And right now there are a fuckton of talented, furloughed/laid off  ad/pr/marketing available that would be thrilled to relocate here.  Not to mention the owners and CEOs in the field who are Texas Exes.  We will have our pick of the creme de la creme.  I know several and they can be had for the asking.

The best in the world are already here

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think the doctor who's been fighting in the hospitals on the front lines of the Coronavirus in Chicago, giving first hand insight to surly on the thread in the daily texan, on top of being a fairly active and consistent poster over here on the recruiting boards for years, needs to show up here to whore for rep, dude. We're not aggy here. He can be a filthy, mouth-breathing sooner (and he is), but most of us here can take him has a poster based on the summation of his merits. 

You do seem a little short on rep though bud. 

I rep him because I’m trying to squirrel my way into his will. 

• Like 2

Just now, Beau Vine said:

1.  What is the source for those numbers?

2.  How do they even make sense?  Chase has more followers and nearly double the "value per post," but only 30% of the "potential earnings" of Sam.

1) https://www.axios.com/college-athletes-earnings-social-media-influencers-35ce09f0-3bc2-46fa-ae5a-eba8ff61079b.html

2) Opportunity. In Louisiana, Ja'Marr chase is competing with Drew Brees and Michael Thomas for opportunity. Dana Evans is a perfect example. She has very little per post value, but Louisville, like Austin, is in a town without pro sports and her opportunity for volume is significant. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is well said. 

Hey dummy, read this:

Below are potential guardrails the NCAA listed as to help monitor and regulate any potential student-athlete NIL earnings:

•  
  • Schools and conferences play no role in a student-athlete's NIL activities.
  •  

1.  What is the source for those numbers?

2.  How do they even make sense?  Chase has more followers and nearly double the "value per post," but only 30% of the "potential earnings" of Sam.

Austin is a hub of technology and innovation with several very high profile companies that have an HQ here with money coming from a wide array of fields and no pro teams in any sport to compete for market share/value. Baton Rouge not so much. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

2) Opportunity. In Louisiana, Ja'Marr chase is competing with Drew Brees and Michael Thomas for opportunity. Dana Evans is a perfect example. She has very little per post value, but Louisville, like Austin, is in a town without pro sports and her opportunity for volume is significant. 

Then why is Chase's "value per post" twice as high as Sam's?  And the marginal cost of a post is $0, so everyone has "opportunity for volume."

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Hey dummy, read this:

Below are potential guardrails the NCAA listed as to help monitor and regulate any potential student-athlete NIL earnings:

Schools and conferences play no role in a student-athlete's NIL activities.

Listing a wishcasted guardrail promoted by the NCAA is not refuting anything. If the NCAA has proven anything with the way they've handled payments to players in the past, it's that the they're more interested in maintaining the peace than they are in enforcing their own rules. The member institutions will determine how this is rolled out and the heavyweights are going to eat. 

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Listing a wishcasted guardrail promoted by the NCAA is not refuting anything. If the NCAA has proven anything with the way they've handled payments to players in the past, it's that the they're more interested in maintaining the peace than they are in enforcing their own rules. The member institutions will determine how this is rolled out and the heavyweights are going to eat. 

Then we should just cut the bullshit and straight pay the players to sign here.

Then we should just cut the bullshit and straight pay the players to sign here.

Well, ones illegal and the other is a gray area of exploration that is low allowed. Or are we going to throw a fit when someone like, say, Dell Computers owned by an alumni pays Sam and Ossai to tweet about their new laptops? Oh noes it’s not fair. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. You just set up some classes that athletes can take as electives on branding, social media, etc. this isn’t rocket science. Or you have a huge company started by UT alums, like say maybe Gsd&m, third party it. 

I wonder how long it will be before a B.S. is offered in Social Media? They may just emphasize it more in an Advertising/Marketing degree, but I could sure see it being a field that would be an asset to the athletic department. No hard math or science, just curriculum on how to pitch to advertisers and influencers, or become an influencer.

I had no idea "influencers" made so much money. CHIEF Jr. has a buddy that graduated with him, he is a major influencer, with about 5-6 million followers. I treat him like any other snot nose, but he is already a multi-millionaire. I watched his feed, and it is just stupid shit that only the other Gen Zers seem to get.

CHIEF

Just now, CHIEF said:

I wonder how long it will be before a B.S. is offered in Social Media? They may just emphasize it more in an Advertising/Marketing degree, but I could sure see it being a field that would be an asset to the athletic department. No hard math or science, just curriculum on how to pitch to advertisers and influencers, or become an influencer.

I had no idea "influencers" made so much money. CHIEF Jr. has a buddy that graduated with him, he is a major influencer, with about 5-6 million followers. I treat him like any other snot nose, but he is already a multi-millionaire. I watched his feed, and it is just stupid shit that only the other Gen Zers seem to get.

CHIEF

There should be one already. Another poster discussed a degree program for athletes that coveted coaching and business, and this should be part of that curriculum. And we should have it. Yesterday.  

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

This is wishcasting on several levels. It also feels like you just stepped out of your hot tub time machine because this ^^^ early 2018 idea/image of CDC is a far cry from who we have as AD in 2020.  

I don't know what to tell you but CDC isn't grabbing anything by the balls or taking charge of jack shit. He most assuredly does not have football buyout money ready to roll. The guy has gotten his ass steamrolled by BMDs and has somehow balked at or simply can't come up with $10-15MM -- at fucking Texas -- to fire an abject failure in Shaka Smart. Yet you think he's gonna swagger in and "fix football" or make some kind of kick ass hire? 

Patterson had been at TCU for 12 fucking years by the time CDC rolled into town and Schlossnagle had been there for 8. He was simply driving the bus and raising money to improve facilities and game day experience, and he did both. Very well. Extremely well. He brought them into line with a P5 school, and he did it VERY quickly. On the flip side, I think CDC might only have 1 football hire on his AD resume and it was at Rice -- where he signed Todd Graham to an extension only to lose him 3 days later to Tulsa. So,  after an extensive search he hired David Bailiff over Larry Coker,  neither of which scream vision to me.I guess CDC did make two hires in basketball at TCU. Trent Johnson, who was an abject failure. He followed up that 4 year misery with the hiring of a TCU legacy in Jaime Dixon that was actively begging boosters for the job while at Pitt. So not exactly a difficult search. I was very excited by the Del Conte hiring and my expectations were very high. He's got a lot of learning to do to be the guy that I envisioned, not unlike Tom Herman. 

FWIW, I think Texas wins 10+. Todd Orlando was very bad last season. Very bad.  

Let’s hope that Ash is as good as they say at coaching the secondary.  He has the talent to make the secondary a no fly zone.  This defense is absolutely more talented than 2005, but probably behind 2004; barely.  Our LBs scare me, but we won’t be playing Eric Hall either.  And, 2005 LB was abysmal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

The University of Texas is THE Pro franchise of Texas.  The Cowboys are a dying brand with the Jones at the helm.  Jerry continues to suck the life out of that team every time the broadcasts show his crypt keeper mug.  CDC has a large task in front of him.  Don't fuck it up.

Now that is a seriously HOT take!

"But America’s Team remains the biggest must-see show in sports. Nine of the 50 highest-rated sports TV broadcasts in 2018 were regular season Cowboys games, helping goose ratings for CBS, NBC and Fox. (The Patriots were the only other team with more than four games among the top 50.) Cowboys fever helps owner Jerry Jones generate an estimated $340 million in sponsorship and premium-seating revenue at AT&T Stadium, twice as much as any other team."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/07/22/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/#365d2394283d

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There should be one already. Another poster discussed a degree program for athletes that coveted coaching and business, and this should be part of that curriculum. And we should have it. Yesterday.  

Business school didn’t want non business majors in its classrooms when I was looking for electives. And you can’t have a class for athletes only. 

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Are the businesses in Austin that set it apart from Tuscaloosa really the type of businesses that would naturally make a 19 year old college football player or some folk hero ex player a focal point of their branding and advertising? “Hey, this is Ramonce Taylor for Google.”

Think back to the year that Ricky was running for the Heisman. Picture how influential he'd have been in a marketing campaign. Name the company that WOULDN'T have wanted a piece of that pie. Colt McCoy. Vince Young. I absolutely think that gaming companies like Bethesda, EA, KingsIsle, etc -- would want several of these guys. Do you think Jordan Shipley wouldn't have cashed in? Quan Cosby? You think those guys wouldn't have been on some hundreds of Southwest Airline posters/signage everywhere you look? you honestly think Dell wouldn't have had them using their laptops/tablets/etc? Apple? ditto.  

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I kind of think backwoods SEC and Okie culture actually are the big market for this.  Places where the big hitters in the local economy are car dealers and duck call manufacturers and shit.

Those guys are the ones that are currently funding the under-the-table money but their spending potentials are already nearly tapped out. The gulf coast NFL guys from the Saints make a pittance compared to their peers in NYC for a reason. Having said that a guy like Colt McCoy/Jordan Shipley/Tony Brackens could sell some fucking fishing gear/trucks/tractors, etc out in Giddings or Lukenbach or any of your other rural-but-not-far-from-Austin favorites. Rudy's (K & N Management)? You think they wouldn't love to have Hand, Giles and the big guys chowing down and mugging for cameras? Chuy's? HEB? 

Texas is in a pretty unique position to serve young high tech, brick-and-mortar, and the little guy next door and with no real professional presence to stand in the way. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Business school didn’t want non business majors in its classrooms when I was looking for electives. And you can’t have a class for athletes only. 

Oh, I know that. But there are plenty of friends of athletics in the business school who would be happy to teach related classes elsewhere, like say something in the college of education, communications, etc. we have cross college majors and degree programs. This would be another. I had a business foundations in my communication major. Again, this shit is not hard. And you open it up to everyone. If some nitwit jock sniffer wants to take a major like that even though he won’t be positioned to capitalize on it, so be it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Think back to the year that Ricky was running for the Heisman. Picture how influential he'd have been in a marketing campaign. Name the company that WOULDN'T have wanted a piece of that pie. Colt McCoy. Vince Young. I absolutely think that gaming companies like Bethesda, EA, KingsIsle, etc -- would want several of these guys. Do you think Jordan Shipley wouldn't have cashed in? Quan Cosby? You think those guys wouldn't have been on some hundreds of Southwest Airline posters/signage everywhere you look? you honestly think Dell wouldn't have had them using their laptops/tablets/etc? Apple? ditto.  

Those guys are the ones that are currently funding the under-the-table money but their spending potentials are already nearly tapped out. The gulf coast NFL guys from the Saints make a pittance compared to their peers in NYC for a reason. Having said that a guy like Colt McCoy/Jordan Shipley/Tony Brackens could sell some fucking fishing gear/trucks/tractors, etc out in Giddings or Lukenbach or any of your other rural-but-not-far-from-Austin favorites. Rudy's (K & N Management)? You think they wouldn't love to have Hand, Giles and the big guys chowing down and mugging for cameras? Chuy's? HEB? 

Texas is in a pretty unique position to serve young high tech, brick-and-mortar, and the little guy next door and with no real professional presence to stand in the way. 

I think you are going to be surprised by how many people would not know who Shipley and Cosby were outside their Texas apparel. Since apparel is out, the market will be regional only.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This this all of this. But i already said Dell, dude. 

• Haha 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

I think you are going to be surprised by how many people would not know who Shipley and Cosby were outside there Texas apparel. Since apparel is out, the market will be regional only.

I think you’re underestimating the amount of money it takes for a college kid, with room and board and food covered, to be over the moon. And how much a local fucking car dealerships pay for those shit commercials. If you don’t think Brennan Eagles wouldn’t be psyched about a 10k check from a bar on sixth street or a local car dealership, I don’t know what to fucking tell you. And much of the money is over social media advertising, which imma go out on a limb and guess isn’t something you understand. Then again, I could also see a world where you’re obsessed with the Kardashians, so you tell us. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think you’re underestimating the amount of money it takes for a college kid, with room and board and food covered, to be over the moon. And how much a local fucking car dealerships pay for those shit commercials. If you don’t think Brennan Eagles wouldn’t be psyched about a 10k check from a bar on sixth street or a local car dealership, I don’t know what to fucking tell you. And much of the money is over social media advertising, which imma go out on a limb and guess isn’t something you understand. Then again, I could also see a world where you’re obsessed with the Kardashians, so you tell us. 

Is this the world where you aren't a douche?

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Google is a much better platform to use than Big Red Motors or Cricket Wireless in Tuscaloosa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think you are going to be surprised by how many people would not know who Shipley and Cosby were outside their Texas apparel. Since apparel is out, the market will be regional only.

I think you guys are VASTLY underestimating how much money a fucking guy like Liebrock/Whittington/take your pick/ would make to just attend Party X during SXSW and be seen there as an official spokesperson of whateverthegoddamnyouwant, wearing this particular brand of what the fuck ever, or talking on phone Y, or driving this car to the event, or playing this particular game. In a place like Austin it's not about dopey used car lot ads.JMBLYA, ACL, SXSW, on and on and on ...  things other blue bloods will not be able to compete with, much less Mississippi State, or whatever. 

I've raced motocross my whole life, it's a smaller niche sport in the grand scheme of things and almost NO ONE knows who those guys are out of their gear, right? yet they are sponsored out the fucking ass for everything from bike parts, to protein drinks, to scuba gear, to house siding, to everything you can think of and I'm not just talking about the handful of "stars". I'm talking about 19 year old newly minted pro guys. You'd be floored what they can make by just wearing a certain watch while posting IGs of them doing their normal conditioning workouts. Buckets of cash, and the difference in money between motocross and college football is a vast chasm. 

There's only 1 MJ, LeBron, etc ... but a fucking guy like LaMarcus Aldridge makes 7 figures in endorsements. Let me know how many people you think recognize that guy outside of his NBA gear. Seven fucking figures. 

I don't think you realize how much these guys get paid to simply be certain places and wear certain things while they are there so that they show up in social media. Not just ads and stupid commercial spots, etc ... 

Austin is a HUGE market for that kind of thing. Tuscaloosa? 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, I know that. But there are plenty of friends of athletics in the business school who would be happy to teach related classes elsewhere, like say something in the college of education, communications, etc. we have cross college majors and degree programs. This would be another. I had a business foundations in my communication major. Again, this shit is not hard. And you open it up to everyone. If some nitwit jock sniffer wants to take a major like that even though he won’t be positioned to capitalize on it, so be it. 

Fucking this.  So did I, and I'm an old who graduated in the mists of the 1980s.  I'm sure the opps in the communications dept are 20 or 30 fold what they were when I was there.  Easy breezy.  Even athletes with little free time can pass classes on public information campaigns, etc.  Match that with business and management classes - which even back in my day were in fact available to non-business majors - and suddenly you have a marketable degree in several fields.  If you don't make the league you can become an agent, et al.  This is a ginormous opportunity for us to wield our big, bad, fucking hammer and we need to do it.

46 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Spot on. Blizzard is in Austin. All of these dudes have a Twitch. They'll be playing sponsored Overwatch non-stop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I wonder how long it will be before a B.S. is offered in Social Media? ... No hard math or science, just curriculum on how to pitch to advertisers and influencers, or become an influencer.

Ummm...  

Those are already offered, except they're usually B.A. or BBA degrees.  

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2016-06-30/you-can-major-in-social-media