Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So...uh.....this dude has all CBs to blOU, who....didn't make the top 8. Was unaware we were in it. We may not be, but this is what @ChiTownDoc gets for gracing us with his presence today

https://247sports.com/Player/Malcolm-Johnson-Jr-46041297/

Yeah, OU boards and Drumm are in complete shock over this.  They are actually panicking thinking this means Caleb Williams is going somewhere else ( news flash:  he ain't).

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Now that is a seriously HOT take!

"But America’s Team remains the biggest must-see show in sports. Nine of the 50 highest-rated sports TV broadcasts in 2018 were regular season Cowboys games, helping goose ratings for CBS, NBC and Fox. (The Patriots were the only other team with more than four games among the top 50.) Cowboys fever helps owner Jerry Jones generate an estimated $340 million in sponsorship and premium-seating revenue at AT&T Stadium, twice as much as any other team."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/07/22/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/#365d2394283d

The Jones have been very successful running the Cowboys financially, no doubt.  However if you were a fan of the Texas Longhorns, you would know that Tom Landry and Tex Schram were Texas Alumni.  Jones treated them very poorly.  To add insult to injury, Jones is an arkansas inbred.  He needs to go back to arkansas.  As a former fan of the Cowboys, I loved the teams that were run by Landry.  Landry and Schram had the best team all around up to 1990 in my opinion.  They were getting old but the team was still solid.  Jones did one thing well in hiring Jimmy Johnson and I was a fan until he fired Jimmy.  When he hired that ass hat Switzer was when I quit the Cboys.  Nearly every decision since has been about money and not winning.  Jerry Jones has destroyed the Cowboys as a winning organization.  They may never win another playoff game.

Back to recruiting, sorry.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Spot on. Blizzard is in Austin. All of these dudes have a Twitch. They'll be playing sponsored Overwatch non-stop. 

I did not expect to see my favorite game, Overwatch, brought up in the recruiting thread. This website is never low on surprises. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

The Jones have been very successful running the Cowboys financially, no doubt.  However if you were a fan of the Texas Longhorns, you would know that Tom Landry and Tex Schram were Texas Alumni.  Jones treated them very poorly.  To add insult to injury, Jones is an arkansas inbred.  He needs to go back to arkansas.  As a former fan of the Cowboys, I loved the teams that were run by Landry.  Landry and Schram had the best team all around up to 1990 in my opinion.  They were getting old but the team was still solid.  Jones did one thing well in hiring Jimmy Johnson and I was a fan until he fired Jimmy.  When he hired that ass hat Switzer was when I quit the Cboys.  Nearly every decision since has been about money and not winning.  Jerry Jones has destroyed the Cowboys as a winning organization.  They may never win another playoff game.

Back to recruiting, sorry.

You do realIze there is a wide difference between “running a brand into the dirt” and “I don’t follow the cowboys anymore personally because of personal butthurt reasons,” right?

guess you think charlie strong and Steve Patterson ruined the Texas brand forever too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You do realIze there is a wide difference between “running a brand into the dirt” and “I don’t follow the cowboys anymore personally because of personal butthurt reasons,” right?

guess you think charlie strong and Steve Patterson ruined the Texas brand forever too.

Negative cracker jack, there are many people like myself.  The cowboys are not "increasing" their fan base.  They are pulling in more fiat banker bucks from zombie corporate interests but they are not increasing their market share when in comes to fans.  Jones is hated far and wide.  There will be a point in the near future when many of these zombie corporations are allowed to default and much of Jerry's gravy train will be gone.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

As a current communication (advertising) major with a business minor, I can say that we have some available electives that are on social media marketing and influencer marketing, but there is no pathway to have a degree focusing on "social media marketing" or anything like that. It should most definitely be made available, and I for one have loved the classes about social media marketing. Learning what I have from that, these guys would absolutely make a killing from anything based in Austin and even in the state of Texas if it's backed by a UT alum

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Negative cracker jack, there are many people like myself.  The cowboys are not "increasing" their fan base.  They are pulling in more fiat banker bucks from zombie corporate interests but they are not increasing their market share when in comes to fans.  Jones is hated far and wide.  There will be a point in the near future when many of these zombie corporations are allowed to default and much of Jerry's gravy train will be gone.

curb your enthusiasm ok GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

As a former fan of the Cowboys, I loved the teams that were run by Landry.  Landry and Schram had the best team all around up to 1990 in my opinion.  They were getting old but the team was still solid.

Sorry for continuing the off topic conversation, but I can't let this stupid comment go unchecked. First of all, Landry and Schram were fired in 1989. Second, the Cowboys record in Landry's last three years was 17-30. If you call that solid you most love losing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

In a place like Austin it's not about dopey used car lot ads.JMBLYA, ACL, SXSW, on and on and on ...  things other blue bloods will not be able to compete with, much less Mississippi State, or whatever. 

Austin is a HUGE market for that kind of thing. Tuscaloosa? 

A few folks in Bama can make good money on social media...

Hannah Barron Sunglasses Blue Otter Polarized

Edited by LTtxfan

26 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Sorry for continuing the off topic conversation, but I can't let this stupid comment go unchecked. First of all, Landry and Schram were fired in 1989. Second, the Cowboys record in Landry's last three years was 17-30. If you call that solid you most love losing. 

Landry ~ Starting from scratch in 1960 had a .602 winning %, 20-16 playoff record, 2-2 in Superbowls, and 13 division titles.

Jerry ~ (ex Jimmy Johnson and his players) have a .526 winning %, no Superbowl appearances, no nfc championship appearances, 4-10 in the playoffs, and 7 division titles.

Strip away the tickets purchased by corporate junk bonds and there ain't much to like here.  The Cowboys are the Vegas Raiders, so much for that winning brand.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Are the businesses in Austin that set it apart from Tuscaloosa really the type of businesses that would naturally make a 19 year old college football player or some folk hero ex player a focal point of their branding and advertising? “Hey, this is Ramonce Taylor for Google.”

I kind of think backwoods SEC and Okie culture actually are the big market for this.  Places where the big hitters in the local economy are car dealers and duck call manufacturers and shit.

I don’t think the payday is necessarily limited by the measurable (or believable, even) value a player’s NIL brings to the company, and attempted enforcement would be a bigger joke than what we have today.

If Herman asked Michael Dell (or other “friend of the program”) to promise a $100k deal with [insert 5* recruit] pending enrollment, does it matter if that player’s likeness never adds a single sale? Fuck no, and good luck proving that it didn’t. But as far as the football program is concerned?..doesn’t matter, got rings.

This is a HUGE advantage for us, considering the fact that UT Alums/Austin have substantially deeper pockets than the football factories at third-rate universities in bumfuck college towns.

Edited by SuperSport
No type good

While teams are preparing to return to campus for voluntary workouts on June 1, college coaches will have to wait even longer to get back to work on the recruiting trail. On Wednesday evening, the NCAA Division I Council Coordination Committee extended the dead period of recruiting through July 31 because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Previously, the dead period had been set to expire on June 30, a decision that came down on May 13. Now, it will be August before coaches can hit the trail again, unless a decision comes from the NCAA to change that ruling.

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

11 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Strip away the tickets purchased by corporate junk bonds and there ain't much to like here.  

The Cowboys averaged about 91,000 fans per home game last year. 

just because you think and say dumb shit it doesn't mean it's correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It looks like LSU is the only school recruiting him as a Safety. While WR recruiting is in the shitter, we could be recruiting him as an athlete.

Coleman's been following him on Twitter for a bit, I bet it's a WR offer.

Also Kosciusko what's up! My dad's side of the family is from there. The Mississippi pronunciation of that name is truly special.

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

re: NLI evaluation for Sam, from the CEO of the marketing platform. We got graphs!

Sooners/aggys were losing their fucking minds - explaining that the only reason Sam was worth more (than Rattler/Mond?) was because of how often he posted on social media.  Thankfully opendorse showed up to explain that their valuations went beyond just how often an athlete shit-posts. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It looks like LSU is the only school recruiting him as a Safety. While WR recruiting is in the shitter, we could be recruiting him as an athlete.

I couldn't find any hudl more recent than 2018 - though I did find some sweet basketball highlights from 2020.

10 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Well? What the scouting report? Could he handle a centaur at Gregory?

Not the smoothest guy on the court (some might describe him as lumbering - which might not speak well to his WR skills...) - but he's so much more physically developed than the rest of the kids that it almost doesn't matter.  Plays PF and looks like he is a legit 6'4".

The 247 write up says that his HS team barely throws the ball - so he's going to be an incredibly raw player. 

20 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Sounds like players are coming back to Texas June 1st and having a 7 day quarantine period with voluntary workouts starting on the 8th

Just saw this in Athletic article on Bijan...

"The Big 12 recently announced that football teams could host voluntary activities on campus as early as June 15. The Longhorns are targeting a July 1 report date for incoming freshmen, which could mark Robinson’s highly anticipated arrival to Texas. Those who have watched his career unfold shared what the Longhorns could see from the dynamic back."

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"The Big 12 recently announced that football teams could host voluntary activities on campus as early as June 15. The Longhorns are targeting a July 1 report date for incoming freshmen, which could mark Robinson’s highly anticipated arrival to Texas. Those who have watched his career unfold shared what the Longhorns could see from the dynamic back."

interesting since i thought current players were returning for voluntary workouts on june 15th.

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

My quote came from TFB Super K FWIW