Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

QB from Cali that Bama' was going after, Miller Moss, is getting a run of USC crystal balls.  Probably going to ramp it up on trying to flip Milroe.

Rumors are also starting on Bama trying to flip Vandagriff from Georgia now that JT Daniels transferring to Dawgs...

https://247sports.com/Player/Brock-Vandagriff-46050870/

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Rumors are also starting on Bama trying to flip Vandagriff from Georgia now that JT Daniels transferring to Dawgs...

https://247sports.com/Player/Brock-Vandagriff-46050870/

USC already has Jake Garcia in their 2021 class.  If they added Vandagriff, they would have the #4 and #5 pro style QBs in the class (#33 and #52 overall).

(Out of curiosity, checked our 2020 class.  IIRC, they had Ja'Quinden Jackson classified as an athlete for quite a while.  They now have him classified as a DT QB, so we have the #2 and #3 DT QB recruits (#57 and #73 overall) in our 2020 class.)

13 minutes ago, Getafix said:

USC already has Jake Garcia in their 2021 class.  If they added Vandagriff, they would have the #4 and #5 pro style QBs in the class (#33 and #52 overall).

(Out of curiosity, checked our 2020 class.  IIRC, they had Ja'Quinden Jackson classified as an athlete for quite a while.  They now have him classified as a DT QB, so we have the #2 and #3 DT QB recruits (#57 and #73 overall) in our 2020 class.)

What does it mean when the #5 pro style QB is ranked higher than the #2 dual threat QB? I assume it means that whomever is doing the rankings values pro style QBs much more than dual threat QBs.

22 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What does it mean when the #5 pro style QB is ranked higher than the #2 dual threat QB? I assume it means that whomever is doing the rankings values pro style QBs much more than dual threat QBs.

- First, note, those are different classes (2020 vs. 2021).  So class/position group quality could be a factor, if you compare across classes.

- In general, pro style QBs are *probably* ranked higher, but specific rankings could also be a reflection of the quality of the specific players in that class.

- For instance, in the 2020 class, Bryce Young (#1 dual threat) is #2 overall, while DJ Uiagalelei (#1 pro style) is #10 overall.  And Luke Doty (#4 dual threat) is #85 overall, while Harrison Bailey (#3 pro style) is #98 overall.

Let me be fucking clear, I can't substantiate this, don't think it can be validated....BUT.... a friend of a twice removed cousin source said they read on TFB that Donald Hawkins thinks we eventually get the Brockermeyers.

So don't ask me to provide a God damn link.  I couldn't find one if you gave me a million bucks.  I also don't know how accurate Hawkins is with his predictions or how close he is with Herm

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Let me be fucking clear, I can't substantiate this, don't think it can be validated....BUT.... a friend of a twice removed cousin source said they read on TFB that Donald Hawkins thinks we eventually get the Brockermeyers.

tenor.gif?itemid=13993397

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m going to believe this conspiracy theory as it fits. Herman bemoaned the Herculean task of being a HC and calling plays at the same time. It was just too much for him. HCs do it all the time. Riley, Fat Pat, Payton, McVay, etc. The fact that Herman won’t do it shows you he believes it’s beneath him as the HC. Instead of the “I will do anything to win” attitude, he thinks it’s not his responsibility. Just like recruiting, it’s not his responsibility to recruit. That’s the coaches jobs. So we all suffer because the narcissist cunt thinks he’s above it. 

This is a really fucking weird take - Herman has admitted, many times, that he’s not good enough to be a HC and OC. He has said that being an OC requires so much of his time/energy/effort that his responsibilities as a HC suffer. I don’t know how you can read that as the job being ‘beneath him’ - if anything it’s the opposite. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So don't ask me to provide a God damn link.  I couldn't find one if you gave me a million bucks.  I also don't know how accurate Hawkins is with his predictions or how close he is with Herm

don’t need a link, it’s common sense.  the brocks will be in burnt orange fall 2021.  period.  everyone needs to fucking shut up about it.  worry about something that is actually worth worrying about. 

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

Did you get Brock and Miller Moss mixed up or are you trying to say USC is going after Brock? 

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is a really fucking weird take - Herman has admitted, many times, that he’s not good enough to be a HC and OC. He has said that being an OC requires so much of his time/energy/effort that his responsibilities as a HC suffer. I don’t know how you can read that as the job being ‘beneath him’ - if anything it’s the opposite. 

Some people want to file everyone into "bad at everything" or "good at everything" because it makes their life easier to only think in black and white.

16 hours ago, RGBIII said:

IT has seemed really butt hurt lately, gotta think one of their sources was let go in the firing wave..my money is on Wareheim

They were more than happy to have staff upgrades across the board, come on

Eric has seemingly been frustrated with some recent winnable recruitments going sideways, specifically some that went sideways because opposing head coaches got involved more heavily than Herman

11 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

QB from Cali that Bama' was going after, Miller Moss, is getting a run of USC crystal balls.  Probably going to ramp it up on trying to flip Milroe.

I’m not worried about Milroe 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, I didn't phrase that well. I meant Riley's got more natural charisma and generally seems like he doesn't try so hard to be cool, it just comes naturally, while Herman doesn't have enough skins on the wall to combat that like Dabo can. He's in an awkward middle ground where being heavily involved doesn't do as much good as it does for those two.

Funny thing is Herman used to be a pretty good one on one recruiter when he was an assistant. I have several friends he recruited at different stops. He seems less personable as the head guy. I’ll leave it up to the psychologists here to figure out why. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We are paying him 5 million dollars to be good enough. He either should be good enough to do both or competent enough to hire a coach who is good at the OC so his “responsibilities as a HC” don’t suffer.  My point being he’s failed at both. Texas deserves better. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

We are paying him 5 million dollars to be good enough. He either should be good enough to do both or competent enough to hire a coach who is good at the OC so his “responsibilities as a HC” don’t suffer.  My point being he’s failed at both. Texas deserves better. 

Yes.  He got his one change.  If Yurcich can't be successful as an OC at Texas then Herman won't be the Head Coach.  But it has nothing to do with the OC job being 'beneath him' as you stated.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes.  He got his one change.  If Yurcich can't be successful as an OC at Texas then Herman won't be the Head Coach.  But it has nothing to do with the OC job being 'beneath him' as you stated.

I'd love to know the retention rate of head coaches after they fire both coordinators. It has to be very poor. Just based on probability, Herman will likely find himself unemployed this December. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This was a really nice moving of the goal posts. You started running with the theory that Herman thinks being OC/playcaller was beneath him even though there’s no evidence to support that, then got called on the ridiculousness of that take, so you switched to just ranting about his failings, which no one would have disagreed with if you started there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Herman has had two mentors, both having won national championships, that have told him the absolute number one thing that he needs to do is avoid doing everything in the HC job because it’s burns you out. He’s still learning on the job and if he had won the last 2 one score games vs OU the talk would be about Riley and his gadget program vs Herman and serious football, that will be in the 2023 threads. 

I know 2019 wasn’t what we wanted to see but the gnashing of teeth over Herman has gone to extremes, and it’s a bit like BAS because it’s really OU focused. 

was 2019 a complete failure? Yep. Did Herman leave it alone or did he hire one of the best OCs in CFB and a DC who won a National title the last time they were coaching together? All I read during the last season was everyone claiming that Herman was a fucking blockheaded narcissist that won’t change a goddamn thing with his staff. He always thinks he’s right yada yada ... then he did exactly the opposite. Oh I know, and you can try to hate on the Ash hire and his Hermanbro status but before you do go back and watch the Utah game and see what our defense looked like with only a few changes toward the simple (remember I said before 2019 that Naivar would be an upgrade at DC) and put that against the shitty one score losses we suffered in 2019 with Orlando’s bumblefucking. Anyone think Ash won’t be, at a minimum, better than Naivar would’ve been this year and markedly better than Orlando was in 2019? I think he’s going to be more than marginally better, there will significant improvements, but I understand any trepidation. Yurcich is a huge upgrade and anyone saying otherwise is being disingenuous. 

I know all of this has been beaten to death so instead of leaving it alone I’ll throw some fucking gas on the fire and turn this shit up ...

I think Texas is closer to winning a national title than OU, despite their multiple Heisman winners and recent playoff appearances.

OU is completely uncompetitive in games where their talent mismatch is nullified because they have systemic issues. There’s lots of praise for Riley addressing the Sooner issues on defense by hiring Grinch, but dig deeper on that decision, it speaks to my point. They are installing Grinch’s SpeedD and recruiting toward it, so let’s see — a team that’s been bitchfucked and bullied over and over, that has tackled like shit — is going to address those glaring issues by getting a lot smaller across the board — esp on the DL? How do you think that’s going to play out vs Bama, LSU, tOSU, and Clemson? Not only are they getting way smaller on the DL they are doing it in concert with Bennie Wylie as S&C coach. They are doing it while not restocking the defensive roster well. They only have 38 scholarship players on defense and still their classes are overloaded with offense. Riley wants one thing from Grinch’s D - to be disruptive so that he can get his offense back on the field. Period. Because that’s all Riley cares about. The offense. Does anyone think they are going to have markedly better QB play than they have the past 4 years? WR? OL? They are already elite and are completely out of games by the 2nd qtr in the playoffs.

Really, it’s not just the playoffs, OU has had a huge talent (and almost as important, depth) advantage in the Big XII and still ended up in six one score games last season despite the fucking historically elite offense. Kudos to Riley for winning those games — Herman didn’t and that’s a BIG fucking problem — but the question of why the Sooners were even in one score games remains. The further they get from Stoops evals and Schmidt’s S&C the further they get from fielding a capable defense. I don’t think 2020 will see a drastic drop — they return all five OL, etc so they will still apply a ton of pressure to opposing teams via quick scores but the systemic issues reveal themselves over time. If you look at their D classes from 2018 going forward (compare them with Stoops classes that are fading away) and then project these classes forward under Bennie Wylie ... maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see them addressing the unsmooth buttfuckings they’ve received.

Do I believe in Herman? I’m not sure yet. I do know that I believe in him/his staff’s ability to identify talent. Very much so. I think the only comparable staffs are Utah and Clemson in that regard. I do believe in the offensive system (power running game with a mobile QB vertical passing attack — hellooooooo Yurcich) and I believe in his commitment to competitiveness, even if it’s often hokey or cheesy. I do believe in Yancey and his staff.  I don’t think Texas would be humiliated in the playoffs under Herman.

commence flames, goddamn football board posters, and mockery. you’re welcome for the march to 1,000. 

tenor.gif?itemid=13646037

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I wonder if this means that they aren't confident of landing Mukuba.  

Dunno but I love that they are being aggressive on kids they like early. In the last 3 years we would have gave him little attention and been shocked when he did not commit on the spot, in December or January.

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I'd love to know the retention rate of head coaches after they fire both coordinators. It has to be very poor. Just based on probability, Herman will likely find himself unemployed this December. 

The last 2 to do it at P5 programs turned out ok.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Herman has had two mentors, both having won national championships, that have told him the absolute number one thing that he needs to do is avoid doing everything in the HC job because it’s burns you out. He’s still learning on the job and if he had won the last 2 one score games vs OU the talk would be about Riley and his gadget program vs Herman and serious football, that will be in the 2023 threads. 

I know 2019 wasn’t what we wanted to see but the gnashing of teeth over Herman has gone to extremes, and it’s a bit like BAS because it’s really OU focused. 

was 2019 a complete failure? Yep. Did Herman leave it alone or did he hire one of the best OCs in CFB and a DC who won a National title the last time they were coaching together? All I read during the last season was everyone claiming that Herman was a fucking blockheaded narcissist that won’t change a goddamn thing with his staff. He always thinks he’s right yada yada ... then he did exactly the opposite. Oh I know, and you can try to hate on the Ash hire and his Hermanbro status but before you do go back and watch the Utah game and see what our defense looked like with only a few changes toward the simple (remember I said before 2019 that Naivar would be an upgrade at DC) and put that against the shitty one score losses we suffered in 2019 with Orlando’s bumblefucking. Anyone think Ash won’t be, at a minimum, better than Naivar would’ve been this year and markedly better than Orlando was in 2019? I think he’s going to be more than marginally better, there will significant improvements, but I understand any trepidation. Yurcich is a huge upgrade and anyone saying otherwise is being disingenuous. 

I know all of this has been beaten to death so instead of leaving it alone I’ll throw some fucking gas on the fire and turn this shit up ...

I think Texas is closer to winning a national title than OU, despite their multiple Heisman winners and recent playoff appearances.

OU is completely uncompetitive in games where their talent mismatch is nullified because they have systemic issues. There’s lots of praise for Riley addressing the Sooner issues on defense by hiring Grinch, but dig deeper on that decision, it speaks to my point. They are installing Grinch’s SpeedD and recruiting toward it, so let’s see — a team that’s been bitchfucked and bullied over and over, that has tackled like shit — is going to address those glaring issues by getting a lot smaller across the board — esp on the DL? How do you think that’s going to play out vs Bama, LSU, tOSU, and Clemson? Not only are they getting way smaller on the DL they are doing it in concert with Bennie Wylie as S&C coach. They are doing it while not restocking the defensive roster well. They only have 38 scholarship players on defense and still their classes are overloaded with offense. Riley wants one thing from Grinch’s D - to be disruptive so that he can get his offense back on the field. Period. Because that’s all Riley cares about. The offense. Does anyone think they are going to have markedly better QB play than they have the past 4 years? WR? OL? They are already elite and are completely out of games by the 2nd qtr in the playoffs.

Really, it’s not just the playoffs, OU has had a huge talent (and almost as important, depth) advantage in the Big XII and still ended up in six one score games last season despite the fucking historically elite offense. Kudos to Riley for winning those games — Herman didn’t and that’s a BIG fucking problem — but the question of why the Sooners were even in one score games remains. The further they get from Stoops evals and Schmidt’s S&C the further they get from fielding a capable defense. I don’t think 2020 will see a drastic drop — they return all five OL, etc so they will still apply a ton of pressure to opposing teams via quick scores but the systemic issues reveal themselves over time. If you look at their D classes from 2018 going forward (compare them with Stoops classes that are fading away) and then project these classes forward under Bennie Wylie ... maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see them addressing the unsmooth buttfuckings they’ve received.

Do I believe in Herman? I’m not sure yet. I do know that I believe in him/his staff’s ability to identify talent. Very much so. I think the only comparable staffs are Utah and Clemson in that regard. I do believe in the offensive system (power running game with a mobile QB vertical passing attack — hellooooooo Yurcich) and I believe in his commitment to competitiveness, even if it’s often hokey or cheesy. I do believe in Yancey and his staff.  I don’t think Texas would be humiliated in the playoffs under Herman.

commence flames, goddamn football board posters, and mockery. you’re welcome for the march to 1,000. 

They only thing I'd add to this would be that hopefully, Herman stays out of Yurcich's way, unless Yurcich is obviously shitting the bed.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

43eu4j.gif

Funny thing is Herman used to be a pretty good one on one recruiter when he was an assistant. I have several friends he recruited at different stops. He seems less personable as the head guy. I’ll leave it up to the psychologists here to figure out why. 

He’s playing the Mack Brown detached aloof head coach playbook. Mack is all about family during recruiting but puts distance between himself and the recruiting during the process, as well as limiting access after they are on campus. I’m not sure why that’s the model.

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

Not sure if it’s the scotch or this post but I’m drunk as shit on this kool aid right now..well done sir

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, golfclap said:

suffice to say, like water to parched lands

• Like 1