Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

36 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This might be Mukuba insurance.

This is lazy shit from Nahlin. Despite what you might read on twitter, you guys know I said that Mukuba was NOT a package deal with Mccutchin because they weren't exactly bros. Notice the OU snub, anyone who has seen them together - it was not a surprise. I think Lamear and Mukuba would be way more likely to play together at the next level and I think Texas will hold a spot for Mukuba until the end, numbers be damned. He's an elite talent that is still way underrated, IMHO. Nahlin is also probably working on the assumption that Texas will only be taking 23 or some shit. I don't think Coffey and Lamear mean Mukuba is out. If it's an indictment of anything, it's likely that Jardin Gilbert is now a take for Alabama and that Terrion Arnold is flaky enough to help make that decision for the Tide. LSU is also picking up the pace on Gilbert since he's drawing more legitimate interest OOS.

45 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Like with Terrence Cooks, Andrew may not be the most talented athlete in the family

Projecting Fatu (2024) as better athlete than Andrew is ... .bold.

I will say he's going to be way more evolved as a football player because he's already competing with the older kids now (Juice 7on7). He has a huge lead over Andrew from that side of things. Better technique and further along as a football player? For sure. Elite/NFL athleticism and frame? I guess that's a decent gamble. Intrinsic understanding of angles to play defense in space? Andrew is elite in space where other guys, even really good players, get lost. 

• Like 5

Not to imply he's Jesus just because he got us a couple of blue chips, but at what point does Valai actually become a bona fide "good" hire? I have no problem admitting I was one of the many on here that hated the hire at the time but there has been a hell of a lot of sunshine pumping w/r/t his recruiting ability recently.

Not really sure how much involvement he'll have with coaching CBs if Ash really is planning on coaching the DBs as a group.

3 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Not to imply he's Jesus just because he got us a couple of blue chips, but at what point does Valai actually become a bona fide "good" hire? I have no problem admitting I was one of the many on here that hated the hire at the time but there has been a hell of a lot of sunshine pumping w/r/t his recruiting ability recently.

Not really sure how much involvement he'll have with coaching CBs if Ash really is planning on coaching the DBs as a group.

When we see our corners know what to do when a pass is thrown at the receiver they're covering, and then actually do it, would be my guess. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I think it will be when the DBs start playing up to their talent level in coverage. I assume Ash will focus on improving their tackling form. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Most folks were reasonable to think he could have high upside as a recruiter when he was hired. How he's doing now isn't really a surprise, and I was critical of the hire. But jesus fucking christ, sitting there and asking when he'll be considered a "good" hire before his unit has even had a SNAP OF FUCKING PRACTICE seems like a pretty absurd question to fucking ask. Are we suggesting ole Mike Yurich should be considered a great playcaller because of his performance at UT to date as well? 

Even if you coach DB's as a group, which I don't think is necessarily going to happen, a CB coach still has to coach his guys. And yes, he is going to have to be a CB coach first. I'll declare him a great hire after our CBs start playing up to their star rankings, press cover well and get their fucking heads around to defend the ball and make some plays. AND he nails some more blue chips. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I forget if it was the Longhorns or Cowboys, but that fucking play where 2 CBs on one side were at the same depth and promptly ran into each other. 

Yeah, but the other team was totally thrown off by that move...

Edited by Junior Bonner

Two things to remember with Mukuba and Clemson

1) Dabo doesn't take commitments until prospects visit, and there's a chance the dead period keeps getting pushed back, making it more difficult for Mukuba to visit, especially if he can't visit until the season starts
2) They don't have decommitments. Korey Foreman was their first decommit in like six years or something.

However, there's a chance that this weird cycle changes the odds of both of these things happening

Also most of us know this, but Mukuba is boys with Ibra, Coffey, and Harmon. Landing Ibra and Coffey should added a few percentage points to both, and if a third is landed, that should help with the fourth 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Most folks were reasonable to think he could have high upside as a recruiter when he was hired. How he's doing now isn't really a surprise, and I was critical of the hire. But jesus fucking christ, sitting there and asking when he'll be considered a "good" hire before his unit has even had a SNAP OF FUCKING PRACTICE seems like a pretty absurd question to fucking ask. Are we suggesting ole Mike Yurich should be considered a great playcaller because of his performance at UT to date as well? 

Even if you coach DB's as a group, which I don't think is necessarily going to happen, a CB coach still has to coach his guys. And yes, he is going to have to be a CB coach first. I'll declare him a great hire after our CBs start playing up to their star rankings, press cover well and get their fucking heads around to defend the ball and make some plays. AND he nails some more blue chips. 

Just catching up....

@SydneyCarton on fire today!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Inside Scoop: Percentages, DFW targets, new ATX offer

Reveal hidden contents

2021 percentages and notes, quotes from some of UT’s top targets in Monday’s Scoop.

PERCENTAGES

RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX): It’s taken a while to become as clear as I thought it was last year, but this is shaping up to be a UT/A&M battle. I give the Aggies the edge at the moment because we know he’s looking for playing time and A&M provides that. At Texas he knows he’d be sharing carries, and he’s fine with that, but it needs to be proven that a platoon would be productive. If each Texas back is playing well — producing efficient numbers in their carries — the staff will have a chance. LJ says he doesn’t plan on committing before the season, and I take him at his word, but A&M has been good at pushing pressure points in the past. Even if he committed this summer he’d still take his official visits. I’d be even more worried if he was from Connecticut. 45%

RB Camar Wheaton, Lakeview Centennial (Garland, TX): While Johnson is the best back in the state, Wheaton is the most athletic. Initially the staff prized him over everyone else, but now I think they’re indifferent on which one they land. Like with Johnson, they have a battle on their hands here. We actually had Wheaton on commit watch this time last year but obviously that never materialized. UT is still in it, but so are other schools. We think OU is the biggest threat but he’s a hard recruit to get a good read on. 40%. I’m thinking OU 40% and ‘other’ totaling 20%.

WR Jaden Alexis, Monarch (Coconut Creek, FL): Texas is in the mix along with Miami and Notre Dame. We think UT leads but distance from home as well as him not having visited yet has us playing things a little more conservatively. 60%.

WR JJ Henry, McKinney North (McKinney, TX): The late offer doesn’t help but how much did it hurt? Time will tell. We can see him at TCU. There’s word he likes A&M some but the Aggies don’t feel especially confident. We’ll go 33%but we think a move can be made.

WR Ketron Jackson, Royse City (Royse City, TX): We think the staff had Hal Presley rated over Jackson and then they took Casey Cain after missing on Presley, meaning they might not feel the need to push for a commitment from Jackson. He may be a name we hear the rest of the way if he has a big breakout year like Loic Fouonji. 25%

WR Theodore Knox, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX): He’s liking Mississippi State the best we can tell. Texas has never been as high on him as some here on IT are, including myself. They picked up the pace after losing JoJo Earle to LSU but they’d be perfectly happy with JJ Henry. 30%

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - LSU: They’ll recruit Earle through the whistle and if you expect big things from Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington you may feel some hope of the staff earning a flip. I can’t rule it out entirely. Maybe Sam E can drop 400 yards on the Tigers in Baton Rouge? 20%

WR Hal Presley, Summit (Mansfield, TX) - BAYLOR: I expect Texas to stay on Presley and I think he’ll visit in the fall. We feel strongly we’re headed for a frenzied fall with flips and Presley might be a good candidate down the road. 40%

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints (Fort Worth, TX): The stud center prospect and three-time school legacy released a top four that we feel is a top two between Texas and Alabama. A summer decision has been a possibility for a long time but I’m not sure that will happen. The Brockermeyers want to give Texas the benefit and Texas will get that no matter what. 60%

OT Tommy Brockermeyer, All Saints (Fort Worth, TX) *change ‘center’ to ‘left tackle’.

OT Savion Byrd, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): I’ve never felt Byrd and Texas. He’s currently an SMU lean but I expect this one to get a bit wild in the fall. 15%

OL Bryce Foster, Taylor (Katy, TX): Oklahoma is looking like a compromise school between A&M and Texas. Foster has said he wants to throw in college and that should have given Texas a big boost. However, football is important too, and Herb Hand didn’t help himself with the on-field product in 2019. Complicating matters is Foster’s mother having gone to A&M and his brother playing as a walk-on in College Station. Also, the Dixie Chicken’s roof burnt down. 30%

DL Marcus Burris, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX): It’s not going to be Texas. I could see him at OU, which is a recent development, A&M, or LSU. Texas always had the big town feel to overcome and were going to need the help of Landon Jackson to combat it. 10%

DL Ike Iwunnah, Lakeview Centennial (Garland, TX): Texas is pretty high on Iwunnah as a pure interior player but his recruitment is likely tied to Shemar Turner’s. We’re not sure the necessary push will come. 30%

DL Shemar Turner, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX): Previously, we’ve been much higher on Turner to Texas. We’re trying to get a good idea of where a reset percentage should land. Texas hasn’t done a great job in this recruitment but there’s a lot of time to make up for it. 50%

DE David Abiara, Legacy (Mansfield, TX) - NOTRE DAME: He’s on flip watch...to OU. He’s a great fit for the Texas defense and I think he’ll at least listen to UT a little, but I haven’t heard reason for optimism. He was happy to receive the offer but clearly it was pretty late. If Texas landed Landon Jackson nobody would be concerned about the late offer to Abiara, but here we are. 30%

DE Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX) - LSU: I think he’ll still take an official visit to Texas and if the team and D-line have a good showing this season a flip wouldn’t surprise me. Recruits who get caught in momentum, emotion, or who are leveraged have a better chance to flip than those who stick to a process. 40%

DE Jonathan Jones, McKinney High (McKinney, TX): Jones’ process is just really getting started and his head is swimming. We’ll re-evaluate when he gets out of the pool to catch his breath. 40%

LB Clayton Smith, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - OKLAHOMA: Along with Earle and Jackson, Smith is one of the big three losses sustained in the last month and change. He seems to have been crimson pilled and we’re not sure Texas has the antidote. Go beat Oklahoma. Twice if need be. Like we said, we’re not sure Texas has the antidote. 25%

LB Terrell Tilmon, Timberview (Mansfield, TX) - OREGON: His name hasn’t been mentioned much but I think UT will re-engage and maybe even push. Staying close to home may become a theme for in-state players so we’re watching Tilmon. He would be a Jack. 30%

LB Terrence Cooks, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX): This recruitment naturally sets up very well for Texas and Coleman Hutzler has done well to hammer those positives home. Cooks is also close with Derrick Harris and we feel if he wasn’t bent on sticking to his process he’d be a commit soon. However, he’ll wait until the fall. Still, we are bullish. 90%. Morice Blackwell and Cooks would make an excellent pairing of Big 12 linebackers. Don’t let the rankings fool you.

CB Deuce Harmon, Guyer (Denton, TX) - TEXAS A&M: Flipping A&M commits hasn’t proven easy for Texas over the years but if there’s one where there’s a chance, this is it. We expect Harmon to take an official visit, maybe even when JD Coffey and Ishmael Ibraheem do. 40%

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Kimball (Dallas, TX): One of the few must-gets currently on the board, Texas has done a good job of making up ground since the coaching change. This is the rare recruitment where the virus has actually helped, as Ibraheem hasn’t been afforded the opportunity to take many visits. We feel real good here, though Jay Valai will have to continue building the relationship the whole way through. Beware of poachers. 85%

DB JD Coffey III, Kennedale (Kennedale, TX): Perhaps one of the best developments of the process so far was Texas going back in on Coffey. He‘s a great fit for the defense and program. As a player, he’s very similar to Xavion Alford in the previous class. I was talking with a national guy who wasn’t quite as high on Coffey due to lack of elite speed. My feeling is Coffey plays fast and that has to be part of the speed evaluation as well. 85%.

DB Devin Lemear, Manor (Manor, TX): The recent TCU de-commit just picked up a Texas offer. That certainly feels like the staff setting up a backup plan for fellow Austin area recruit Andrew Mukuba. That’s a wise move, but that isn’t to say they’ll need it. 30%

DB Andrew Mukuba, LBJ (Austin, TX): Clemson has all the leverage here and is recruiting him hard but they’re also recruiting many others as well. Numbers at safety are very tight meaning they could give Mukuba an ultimatum. I’m unsure how that would go but it isn’t a stretch to think he’d jump on it. But what about the long game? Will he leave his family and go that far from home? I personally have trouble seeing it. This recruitment could also have implications for his little brother down the road. Like with Terrence Cooks, Andrew may not be the most talented athlete in the family. 55%. My percentage accounts for a potential commitment to Clemson followed by a late change of heart. Either way, I give UT the very slight edge.

ISHMAEL IBRAHEEM 

Another recruitment that's trended Texas of late is Dallas Kimball’s Ishmael Ibraheem.

One of the state’s top defenders at 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, the man with 25+ offers is highly sought after for a reason. He’s damn good.

“First of all, man, I’m surprised,” said Ibraheem about all the attention over the last year plus. “I’m new to this CB position. I never really thought I’d come this far but a lot of passionate hard work has been going on behind the scenes, consistently trying to get where I’m at, plus me understanding the game more. I’m still learning so being developed correctly is a big thing to me and getting me to the NFL.”

When visits are real again, Ibraheem wants to see schools. Even if he commits before those can happen. “I’d like to take my officials,” Ibraheem said. “Texas, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, and Auburn if everything clears.” Cornerback coach Jay Valai has made Ibraheem a priority and it’s beginning to show.

“Texas has been with me since the beginning,” Ibraheem explains. “I think with their 2021 recruiting class they have, they could really get somewhere. With the coaching staff changing, it really hasn’t affected me because I like the new coaches a little better. The relationship with (Texas) is amazing, especially Coach Herman. I think he’s a real cool guy.”

Timeline? “I’d like to be committed before my senior year,” said Ibraheem. Texas looks terrific today. The key here might be his relationship with Kennedale safety and UT target JD Coffey, and continued persistence from Valai.

JJ HENRY 

We’ve written about the explosive 2021 slot from McKinney North for months. He told us a few weeks ago: “The importance about picking a school is having a good relationship with the staff.”  Days later, Texas offered. Why it took so long for Texas to join this party is beside the point, the fact UT is pushing is the key and most important factor moving forward. “I like how the Texas program is ran,” said Henry. “I really like the coaching staff, especially Coach (Andre) Coleman.”

TCU and Baylor might be UT’s top competition. It remains to be seen where he’s leaning, but Coleman is focusing more attention here. “I just want this (pandemic) to be over so I can visit some colleges and get a feel for them before I make my decision,” Henry said. Texas will continue to pursue here, and will stay after JoJo Earle and Teddy Knox. Only time will tell which slot winds up in the 2021 class.

DEVIN LEMEAR

Another local safety prospect grabbed the Horns' attention. With Andrew Mukuba and Clemson getting closer, UT decided to offer Manor's Devin Lemear At 6-foot-1 and 175 pounds, the three-star defensive back and former TCU pledge has always had a soft spot for the Longhorns. “It means a lot,” said Lemear. “I’m appreciative that my hometown college team recognizes my ability to play the game.”

Lemear insists he’s pretty wide open, but this offer definitely registered on his recruiting radar. His de-commitment from the Horned Frogs earlier this year was from making a rash decision. He wants to take his time and find the right fit. “I feel like just the fact that Texas has always been the school people around this area focus on,” said Lemear. “Not only that, it’s a prestigious university that’s only 20 minutes away from where I stay.”

This might be Mukuba insurance. He’ll visit Texas as soon as he can, and I think this recruitment will go smoother than the previous Manor prospects

Jesus this read is incredibly depressing I think only like two players had Texas as a >50% chance to commit. I can't for UT to turn into the home of the "trust the coach's eval of this plucky two star out of 1A football"

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Jesus this read is incredibly depressing I think only like two players had Texas as a >50% chance to commit. I can't for UT to turn into the home of the "trust the coach's eval of this plucky two star out of 1A football"

Tbh the Brock's % was higher than what i expected.  If we get them then i feel better about the class.

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Tbh the Brock's % was higher than what i expected.  If we get them then i feel better about the class.

IT is not a good barometer for the Brock’s recruitment. They read the tea leaves and make assumptions on where guys end up. That includes their reasoning and evaluations as well as what they hear. But it can go really sideways. Pretty sure they had Clayton Smith as a near lock about 2 weeks before he committed to OU. So temper your excitement. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Alexis, Ibraheem, Coffey, both Brocks, Mukuba. So, six players.

Also, the DL are pretty much all below 50% since they're a series of dominos based on who commits.

Edited by texifornia

IT is not a good barometer for the Brock’s recruitment. They read the tea leaves and make assumptions on where guys end up. That includes their reasoning and evaluations as well as what they hear. But it can go really sideways. Pretty sure they had Clayton Smith as a near lock about 2 weeks before he committed to OU. So temper your excitement. 

Still holding Landon Jackson’s jock as well.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah both Nahlin and Wells have been pretty whiny lately... they don't seem to have any breaking news anymore and must be losing subscribers in droves... 

Mike at night

—Ishmael Ibraheem announced today that he would be making his decision on June 15.  As I've recently reported, Texas is in an excellent position for the four-star cornerback from Dallas Kimball.  Texas currently leads on the 247Sports Crystal Ball and if they can close the deal, it will be the first big win for Jay Valai.  Valai went head to head with programs like LSU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Georgia, and he did a great job outworking those other staffs.  

—I don't believe it is a coincidence that JD Coffey will also make his announcement on June 15.  As I've reported for a while, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Coffey and Ibraheem play together at the next level and I believe that announcing the same commitment date will lead to a joint announcement.  The only real cross over programs for both are Texas and LSU.  Despite the Tigers making a push as of late, I think Chris Ash has done enough here.

—Texas recently offered Devin Lemear.  The Manor product is on the rise, and he piqued the interest of Chris Ash.  With Billy Bowman already in the class and Coffey trending that way, Lemear and Andrew Mukuba are candidates for the last spot at safety.  Mukuba has been very positive with the Texas staff, but there are some who are unclear about where things really stand with him.  Mukuba continues to indicate that Texas is among his favorites and he plans to take some visits before making a decision.

—I spoke with some sources around Shemar Turner over the weekend.  As I wrote earlier today, Turner is close to narrowing down a top five and Texas should make the cut.  I'm told that while a battle with some SEC schools will be tough, Turner and those around him have been very positive in their conversations with Texas.  While fall results could likely play a big role, I like where Texas is positioned here

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sounds like you’re saying they’re a blind squirrel. Luckily for us, they can still find an acorn.  Plus we have a poster here who is prescient and has already assured us that Tom will deliver us from OU and to the Brocks.  Now, where did I put my $9.95?

Edited by Fondren & Main

5 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Sounds like you’re saying they’re a blind squirrel. Luckily for us, they can still find an acorn.  Plus we have a poster here who is prescient and has already assured us that Tom will deliver us from OU and to the Brocks.  Now, where did I put my $9.95?

I wouldn’t characterize them as a blind squirrel. There are plenty of recruitments where they definitely have good information. I just don’t think ANY 995er has good information on the Brocks. They aren’t big into the training circles or 7v7 circuit...their dad is their trainer. Additionally, IT does a more effective job of anyone of applying the “Texas makes the most sense” factor to kids, whether it be family and distance from home factors, or academics, or school/town fit, scheme fit.  Basically common sense. That’s fun for us to read about, but when it goes sideways in a recruitment it can go sideways fast. It also allows for fandom to enter the picture just a tad, and it also assumes that the staff or coach wont, in fact, drop the ball on a kids recruitment in spectacular fashion. Again, see Clayton Smith. They put more thought into their predictions, or at the very least they are more willing to share WHY they have there percentages where they place them. But like anything some insights will be better than others, and I don’t think anyone and maybe even the Brocks know shit st this point. 

A few questions/comments on the last page or two:

• Really looking forward to coming in a solid 2nd place for both Johnson and Wheaton. Yay!
  • Obviously the cow isn't in the barn just yet, but for all the grumbling we do on this thread, we should recognize that someone (Valai I guess?) appears to have done a pretty nice job in the Ibraheem recruitment. He was far from a foregone conclusion at the beginning of this cycle.
  • Since we're daydreaming, how does a Bowman/Ibraheem/Mukuba/Coffey/??? class compare to our 2018 DB haul?
  • Nahlin's blurb on Jonathan Jones is pretty funny. "I don't know shit and haven't even talked to this guy. 40%"
  • For a guy that gets called an asshole a lot, Tom comes across as pretty sincere in that clip from Cowherd.
  • It's very interesting to me that we've recently been offering some lesser known guys at positions of need (Cain/Henry at WR, Jones at DE, Iwunnah at DT, Lemear at S), but nothing at all at OL.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

We all know that being the #1 class isn’t going to happen. What rank does our class need to be to make Surly happy?

I don’t think class rank matters too much, besides setting a minimum bar of top 10, I guess, since we’ll be taking a large class.

This staff has shown it can evaluate, so it’s more about getting good prospects and addressing positions of need. OL will be pivotal. We’ve brought in some good players the last few years, but this year was our chance to get an elite class and that’s slipping away. The Brocks would obviously change that by themselves, but we have to land them or 2021 OL will be a huge missed opportunity.

Shemar Turner is a big need too. We have some other interesting prospects at IDL, but he’s the only elite guy we’re in on.

Getting some big production at WR would really help this class. It seems clear Coleman won’t be able to have success on recruiting abilities alone.

I’d say Cooks is also a must get. If we get him, Blackwell, and a late riser or flip Williams, then LB will be a hole run. Without Cooks though, the LB class becomes a lot more underwhelming. 

TE isn’t a massive immediate need with Wiley and Liebrock, but we didn’t really land one last year, and this offense falls apart without a good TE, so we need to land someone good there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Since we're daydreaming, how does a Bowman/Ibraheem/Mukuba/Coffey/??? class compare to our 2018 DB haul?

IDK if that is daydreaming. The only one on there that looks like a possibility to not be in the class is Mukaba. In regards to your question that haul is not in the same universe as 2018. That was a special group. 

I don’t care about rank as much, but as Macklin said the holes we need to plug, and seem unlikely to plug, are going to make it hard for me to personally view this class as a success. I’m not bullish on Turner. It’s going to be 4 against 1 SEC schools versus Texas. Gary Patterson is going to ejaculate from hundreds of miles away at all the negative recruiting Texas will be getting there. The Brocks are at best a coin flip. WR is going to be mediocre at best. A lot of unexpected studs are going to have to all commit to Texas for this class to go from OK to exciting. Hope I’m proven wrong. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

IDK if that is daydreaming. The only one on there that looks like a possibility to not be in the class is Mukaba. In regards to your question that haul is not in the same universe as 2018. That was a special group. 

I almost typed Harmon instead of question marks, but decided that would be a little presumptuous considering that he committed elsewhere 5 days ago.