Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t care about rank as much, but as Macklin said the holes we need to plug, and seem unlikely to plug, are going to make it hard for me to personally view this class as a success. I’m not bullish on Turner. It’s going to be 4 against 1 SEC schools versus Texas. Gary Patterson is going to ejaculate from hundreds of miles away at all the negative recruiting Texas will be getting there. The Brocks are at best a coin flip. WR is going to be mediocre at best. A lot of unexpected studs are going to have to all commit to Texas for this class to go from OK to exciting. Hope I’m proven wrong. 

In the end this class is going to be determined by the season. Shit the bed and even the studs we have in the class are going to look around, win the Big 12+ and guys like Earle, Landon Jackson, Donovan Jackson etc could even take another look. Its just too early to speculate how this class turns out because COVID has caused all these rash commitments now to make sure these guys have a spot, decommit season is going to be a sight to see

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

We all know that being the #1 class isn’t going to happen. What rank does our class need to be to make Surly happy?

A late 5* addition to the class in the summer that would take the class from #2 or #3 at NSD2 to #1, which would make Aggy lose its shit. I can't think of anything more pleasant when it comes to recruiting.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t care about rank as much, but as Macklin said the holes we need to plug, and seem unlikely to plug, are going to make it hard for me to personally view this class as a success. I’m not bullish on Turner. It’s going to be 4 against 1 SEC schools versus Texas. Gary Patterson is going to ejaculate from hundreds of miles away at all the negative recruiting Texas will be getting there. The Brocks are at best a coin flip. WR is going to be mediocre at best. A lot of unexpected studs are going to have to all commit to Texas for this class to go from OK to exciting. Hope I’m proven wrong. 

I think you're spot on with the "OK to exciting" comment, but to me there are some mitigating factors. Regarding WR, like someone was saying recently, who is the really painful miss other than Earle? Quay is also a premium talent but obviously there's other stuff going on there. I also think our perception is being colored a little bit by the fact that Sanders and Bowman - two of the top 5 prospects in the state - and to a lesser extent Milroe all committed early and without much fanfare. If Sanders were undecided right now, visiting LSU and OU and places like that and giving positive quotes while we sit here and play Nervous Nellie, then he committed to us in December, we'd be very excited about that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

We all know that being the #1 class isn’t going to happen. What rank does our class need to be to make Surly happy?

That’s easy.  We’ll need the #1 class while both OU and aggy get put on probation for ten years.  Also the new enrollees will need to come up with a Covid 19 vaccine in their spare time.  Oh and Herman will need to solve race relations in the US and come up with a solution to the Middle East conflict.  That should make Surly happy for a day or so.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I think you're spot on with the "OK to exciting" comment, but to me there are some mitigating factors. Regarding WR, like someone was saying recently, who is the really painful miss other than Earle? Quay is also a premium talent but obviously there's other stuff going on there. I also think our perception is being colored a little bit by the fact that Sanders and Bowman - two of the top 5 prospects in the state - and to a lesser extent Milroe all committed early and without much fanfare. If Sanders were undecided right now, visiting LSU and OU and places like that and giving positive quotes while we sit here and play Nervous Nellie, then he committed to us in December, we'd be very excited about that.

That coin has 2 sides. Everyone is talking about how this recruiting season is colored by covid and early commits. They assume there will be a massive decommit season and we could grab some of these guys. But no one seems willing to admit or consider we are just as likely to have some of our too kids decommit from us as vice versus. 

I consider Knox a big miss. 

58 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

In the end this class is going to be determined by the season. Shit the bed and even the studs we have in the class are going to look around, win the Big 12+ and guys like Earle, Landon Jackson, Donovan Jackson etc could even take another look. Its just too early to speculate how this class turns out because COVID has caused all these rash commitments now to make sure these guys have a spot, decommit season is going to be a sight to see

This is why I'm glad the LSU game is so early.  Beat LSU and the Horns will get an early look by ere'body, talking heads, scouts and players.  And while  it may never shut Finebaum the f'k up, it will heavily discount his narrative about the SEC and everyone else but the Longhorns running Texas.  This game could put up the narrative that Texas doesn't need the SEC to rock the college football world.  And of course, light OU up because this is the year to do it.  And if Texas plays well, they may get the opportunity to beat OU twice while putting pressure on OU to have to win out.  Beat the hell out of froggy and push the narrative that Fatterson yet again can't make waves in the Big 12. We're really the only success they can sell. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

This is why I'm glad the LSU game is so early.  Beat LSU and the Horns will get an early look by ere'body, talking heads, scouts and players.  And while  it may never shut Finebaum the f'k up, it will heavily discount his narrative about the SEC and everyone else but the Longhorns running Texas.  This game could put up the narrative that Texas doesn't need the SEC to rock the college football world.  And of course, light OU up because this is the year to do it.  And if Texas plays well, they may get the opportunity to beat OU twice while putting pressure on OU to have to win out.  Beat the hell out of froggy and push the narrative that Fatterson yet again can't make waves in the Big 12. We're really the only success they can sell. 

You could have just said “win all the games.”

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But no one seems willing to admit or consider we are just as likely to have some of our too kids decommit from us as vice versus. 

The candidates for decommit season are the kids that committed after the shutdown. Could commits from before the shutdown decommit? Of course. But, they are not more or less likely to decommit as a result of the shutdown. Not to mention, there are 0 OOSers in that group which would be the exception.

Jordon Thomas - He will probably have a breakout senior season after not playing last year that will make him a candidate for poaching. If we lose Thomas, that wouldn't be attributable to the Rona. 

Morice Blackwell - He's reportedly an enigma, so who knows

Jonathan Brooks - I would be shocked

Casey Cain - This one feels most likely, especially if he has a dynamic senior season

And that's it.

Possible additions to the list include Coffey, Ish, and Alexis.

Of this group, Blackwell and Ish are needs, the rest are wants. 

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The candidates for decommit season are the kids that committed after the shutdown. Could commits from before the shutdown decommit? Of course. But, they are not more or less likely to decommit as a result of the shutdown. Not to mention, there are 0 OOSers in that group which would be the exception.

Jordon Thomas - He will probably have a breakout senior season after not playing last year that will make him a candidate for poaching. If we lose Thomas, that wouldn't be attributable to the Rona. 

Morice Blackwell - He's reportedly an enigma, so who knows

Jonathan Brooks - I would be shocked

Casey Cain - This one feels most likely, especially if he has a dynamic senior season

And that's it.

Possible additions to the list include Coffey, Ish, and Alexis.

Of this group, Blackwell and Ish are needs, the rest are wants. 

But Sanders, Bowman, even Milroe and Harris are all kids that can jump from a bad season, or be prone to decommit season and thinking they committed too soon. Your logic is sound, but it's not ironclad. There's still a percentage chance that some kids will see 200 kids decommitting and looking around and think "You know, I missed out."

I'm simply saying we don't know, and I'm not taking anything for granted. 

• Like 1

Class rankings are the least of our worries right now, as we all know without proper evaluation and development it means nothing. At this point all we can do is trust that the coaches know who they're evaluating and we're getting guys who fit our scheme/needs or not and assume we're fucked. What we need now is results to prove which of those statements is true.

54 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but something about 2020 causes me to believe that blOU will miss out on the B12 Championship game this year...

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You could have just said “win all the games.”

But they're all winnable.  Even when Texas was down, OU was winnable.  The game against LSU last year was winnable and they went undefeated.  Also, Ogre did it without the ability to communicate in English. This team could make waves if they stay healthy and are well coached.   But Iowa State, OSU, BU and WVU won't be gimmes.  

3 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

But they're all winnable.  Even when Texas was down, OU was winnable.  The game against LSU last year was winnable and they went undefeated.  Also, Ogre did it without the ability to communicate in English. This team could make waves if they stay healthy and are well coached.   But Iowa State, OSU, BU and WVU won't be gimmes.  

The last two should be, but we can't have nice things so I'm sure they'll be close. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Two different shades of orange in Arlington?

Not sure yet... but based on new inexperienced starting QB, maybe sooners suffer at least two losses in the B12.

They go on the road to Corn & Breweries, Fatterson's Foat Wuth, Hillbilly Sang & Moonshine , and Texas Tumbleweed...

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There's still a percentage chance that some kids will see 200 kids decommitting and looking around and think "You know, I missed out."

this is absolutely going to make for an INSANE close to 2020. I completely agree with your assessment but don't forget to turn that same cynical gaze toward everyone's class -- let's say OUs for example. Could you see Spencer Rattler underperform? Riley's never actually developed a QB on his own from the ground up. The media has already portrayed them as the BigXII champs. if they stumbled I think you'd see that class unravel at the top big time because it's got a lot of OOS mercs that will also get A LOT of their regional schools beating down their doors and if OU is not scoring 50+ every week - those same guys will be gone. Mario Williams, Caleb Williams once/if he commits - Latrell Mccutchin, if he ever goes public with his commit and Clayton Smith, all seem like guys that would not ride out a storm if OU was to stumble to 2-3 conference losses, esp if the optics are bad (ie. them getting bullied more and more). Hell, I could even see Cullen Montgomery kicking the tires elsewhere. 

The regional competitors like OU, LSU, aggy and the schools that we could benefit/poach in regions where we've been dipping our toes (USC, ASU, Oregon, Utah) I see quite a few kids that I think will be part of the blood frenzy of decommit2020. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

this is absolutely going to make for an INSANE close to 2020. I completely agree with your assessment but don't forget to turn that same cynical gaze toward everyone's class -- let's say OUs for example. Could you see Spencer Rattler underperform? Riley's never actually developed a QB on his own from the ground up. The media has already portrayed them as the BigXII champs. if they stumbled I think you'd see that class unravel at the top big time because it's got a lot of OOS mercs that will also get A LOT of their regional schools beating down their doors and if OU is not scoring 50+ every week - those same guys will be gone. Mario Williams, Caleb Williams once/if he commits - Latrell Mccutchin, if he ever goes public with his commit and Clayton Smith, all seem like guys that would not ride out a storm if OU was to stumble to 2-3 conference losses, esp if the optics are bad (ie. them getting bullied more and more). Hell, I could even see Cullen Montgomery kicking the tires elsewhere. 

The regional competitors like OU, LSU, aggy and the schools that we could benefit/poach in regions where we've been dipping our toes (USC, ASU, Oregon, Utah) I see quite a few kids that I think will be part of the blood frenzy of decommit2020. 

Oh, I 100% agree. I was simply pointing out that this board seems to acknowledge and think we are primed to be able to take advantage to an insane decommit season in the fall, while also acting like we're completely immune to it ourselves. If the last decade of Texas football has taught me anything, we aren't immune to shit. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, I 100% agree. I was simply pointing out that this board seems to acknowledge and think we are primed to be able to take advantage to an insane decommit season in the fall, while also acting like we're completely immune to it ourselves. If the last decade of Texas football has taught me anything, we aren't immune to ANYTHING. 

With aggys cake schedule, it will be interesting to see if they could benefit from a down lsu and blOU. It just doesn't appear that they've made any headway at all with in-state prospects. Texas will be in a much better place to capitalize with a good season. Fatterson still needs a QB, but he could benefit as well. Rapelor won't win enough to enjoy the spoils, neither will Tech. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It just doesn't appear that they've made any headway at all with in-state prospects.

the combination of aggy coaches not building relationships and the 2021 class simply having no interest in aggy has been interesting to see unfold.

I think this is another byproduct of having a huge portion of your defensive roster from OOS. The instate guys don't have any Bros that are already in College Station. There's nobody that they see at 7on7 practice or their speed/agility/strength trainers, or whatnot that is talking up the aggy coaching staff or how they are building something special. 

the last 3 classes for aggy on defense ::

2021 - 4 commits on D. 3 from OOS. 

2020 - 11 commits on D. 10 from OOS. 

2019 - 13 commits on D. 7 from OOS

28 commits - 20 from OOS, and 1 from 2020 and 2021. Outside of a small handful of the elite 2021 guys that played 7on7 as FR  how many guys in-state have any kind of relationship with the 2019 guys? Beyond that, the entire job falls on Harmon and Jaylon Jones. I guess the offensive guys could help some, but that's certainly not the same. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

the combination of aggy coaches not building relationships and the 2021 class simply having no interest in aggy has been interesting to see unfold.

I think this is another byproduct of having a huge portion of your defensive roster from OOS. The instate guys don't have any Bros that are already in College Station. There's nobody that they see at 7on7 practice or their speed/agility/strength trainers, or whatnot that is talking up the aggy coaching staff or how they are building something special. 

28 commits - 20 from OOS, and 1 from 2020 and 2021. Outside of a small handful of the elite 2021 guys that played 7on7 as FR  how many guys in-state have any kind of relationship with the 2019 guys? Beyond that, the entire job falls on Harmon and Jaylon Jones. I guess the offensive guys could help some, but that's certainly not the same. 

Interesting stat. 

24 minutes ago, golfclap said:

When Jimbo is ultimately fired or moves on, their "rebuild" (as if they have much to fall back on) is going to be one hell of a task.

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

When Jimbo is ultimately fired or moves on, their "rebuild" (as if they have much to fall back on) is going to be one hell of a task.

Indeed, it will be. If either Elijah Robinson and/or Elko left - it'd be a mass exodus.

I honestly think there will likely be a decent-sized exodus regardless because those OOS guys aren't going to stay for 3-4 years and not play. Any one of them that doesn't make the 2-deep and doesn't get significant minutes this season will be a very likely portal candidate. Guys like Derrick Hunter, Jeremiah Martin, Tyree Wilson, some combo of Raikes/Walker/Jones - that gaggle of OOS LB from the same class (Lee, Russell, Brown, White). OOS guys, bluk numbers/roster mismanagement. It's the RB situation all over again - where they took 4 in 2018 and all of them are gone before 2020 even starts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

IT is not a good barometer for the Brock’s recruitment. They read the tea leaves and make assumptions on where guys end up. That includes their reasoning and evaluations as well as what they hear. But it can go really sideways. Pretty sure they had Clayton Smith as a near lock about 2 weeks before he committed to OU. So temper your excitement. 

Are you suggesting that the situation is akin to a substance that has no fixed shape and yields easily to external pressure?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I wonder if there will soon be a team that ends up not able to play a season due to the portal?

Like if everyone on the team was already ready to mutiny and then the school fired the coach and then hired some absolute shitheel to replace the last guy and the few remaining team members hated that guy so much that they portaled/quit?

If anyone can flirt with this chance, it would be the aggies and Jimbo.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I wonder if there will soon be a team that ends up not able to play a season due to the portal?

Like if everyone on the team was already ready to mutiny and then the school fired the coach and then hired some absolute shitheel to replace the last guy and the few remaining team members hated that guy so much that they portaled/quit?

something something, 12th man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Indeed, it will be. If either Elijah Robinson and/or Elko left - it'd be a mass exodus.

I honestly think there will likely be a decent-sized exodus regardless because those OOS guys aren't going to stay for 3-4 years and not play. Any one of them that doesn't make the 2-deep and doesn't get significant minutes this season will be a very likely portal candidate. Guys like Derrick Hunter, Jeremiah Martin, Tyree Wilson, some combo of Raikes/Walker/Jones - that gaggle of OOS LB from the same class (Lee, Russell, Brown, White). OOS guys, bluk numbers/roster mismanagement. It's the RB situation all over again - where they took 4 in 2018 and all of them are gone before 2020 even starts. 

That is kind of what you want though. It is a pretty efficient way to clean out the roster when you are in a rebuilding mode. However, not great for sustainability. 

For Theodore Knox ... includes some comments on Texas. 

247 / Gabe Brooks / New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Mississippi State

Spoiler

New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Mississippi State
ByGABE BROOKS

Mississippi State leads the 247Sports Crystal Ball for 2021 four-star receiver Theodore Knox out of The Woodlands (Texas) High School. My Tuesday afternoon forecast is the latest for Knox to the Bulldogs and comes with a high confidence score of 8.

My pick is the fourth for Mississippi State to land Knox, joining previous forecasts, all of which have confidence levels of 9, from GenesPage.com insiders Paul Jones and Steve Robertson and 247Sports Director of Football Recruiting Steve Wiltfong.

This past week, the 5-foot-10, 167-pound Knox named a top seven list that featured Alabama, Baylor, Georgia, Louisville, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Texas. Of that top seven, Mississippi State and Texas are the top contenders for Knox, who owns elite speed with a verified 4.42 in the 40 and a blistering 10.40 in the 100 meters. Both of those times, along with a stellar 21.03 in the 200, come from the spring of 2019.

Safeties coach Jason Washington and outside receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. recruit Knox for Mississippi State, along with Bulldogs recruiting specialist Mason Smith. Receivers coach Andre Coleman spearheads Texas' efforts with Knox, but this one feels like Mississippi State at this point in the cycle.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Knox as a four-star recruit ranked in the top 200 overall. He is also a top 200 national prospect on the Top247 rankings. Knox' junior year in 2019 was his first in the Houston area after moving from Baton Rouge (La.) Southern Lab.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Getafix said:

For Theodore Knox ... includes some comments on Texas. 

247 / Gabe Brooks / New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Mississippi State

Hide contents

New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Mississippi State
ByGABE BROOKS

Mississippi State leads the 247Sports Crystal Ball for 2021 four-star receiver Theodore Knox out of The Woodlands (Texas) High School. My Tuesday afternoon forecast is the latest for Knox to the Bulldogs and comes with a high confidence score of 8.

My pick is the fourth for Mississippi State to land Knox, joining previous forecasts, all of which have confidence levels of 9, from GenesPage.com insiders Paul Jones and Steve Robertson and 247Sports Director of Football Recruiting Steve Wiltfong.

This past week, the 5-foot-10, 167-pound Knox named a top seven list that featured Alabama, Baylor, Georgia, Louisville, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Texas. Of that top seven, Mississippi State and Texas are the top contenders for Knox, who owns elite speed with a verified 4.42 in the 40 and a blistering 10.40 in the 100 meters. Both of those times, along with a stellar 21.03 in the 200, come from the spring of 2019.

Safeties coach Jason Washington and outside receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. recruit Knox for Mississippi State, along with Bulldogs recruiting specialist Mason Smith. Receivers coach Andre Coleman spearheads Texas' efforts with Knox, but this one feels like Mississippi State at this point in the cycle.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Knox as a four-star recruit ranked in the top 200 overall. He is also a top 200 national prospect on the Top247 rankings. Knox' junior year in 2019 was his first in the Houston area after moving from Baton Rouge (La.) Southern Lab.

question about this (anyone know?)

Safeties coach Jason Washington and outside receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. recruit Knox for Mississippi State, along with Bulldogs recruiting specialist Mason Smith

who is this or what is his actual role? is he on campus only like Carrington? something else entirely?

https://hailstate.com/staff-directory/mason-smith/1525

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mason-smith-88a045128/

Miss State has a Director of Recruiting (M Villagrana), Coordinator of Recruiting Operations (K Brashears), Director of Football Recruiting Operations (R Gibson), Director of On Campus Recruiting (A Hollis), Direcstor of Football Personnel (M Wilson) and then this dude?