Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

In my view, it's entirely dependent on how old the person was at the time. A 16 year-old tweeting it out? Stupid, but that shouldn't ruin a career. But Scalley was a 34 year-old man when he said that. His views were fully formed and he should have had the basic awareness to know that's never acceptable, especially considering that 2013 wasn't exactly another era when it comes to the acceptability of saying the n-word. 

Agree.

I’m not making excuses for Scalley. My question was more hypothetical because I can foresee  many more examples appearing over time. 

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Loads of nuggets on WR recruiting

Hide contents

Mike at Night: Loads of nuggets on WR recruiting

MikeRoach

—I saw McKinney North wide receiver JJ Henry in a training session today. The three-star wideout is in no hurry to end his recruitment. He understands that his attention is picking up and he will have some leverage going into the fall. With that in mind, he plans to wait out his visits and see his options before shutting things down. He did say that his relationship with Texas is going well. He feels that wide receivers coach Andre Coleman is genuine and he spoke of how honest he is with him. Tom Herman has also been involved in this recruitment along with Mike Yurcich, so Texas is getting a strong push. Texas sees Henry as a guy who can play inside or outside and Texas should get a serious look once visits are back in.

—I also saw 2022 Texas target Evan Stewart today. The Frisco speedster said that Jay Valai is the guy he primarily speaks with. Stewart is excited to see a Texas game once visits are back on, and he was supposed to contact Mike Yurcich tonight for a chat. It sounds like Oklahoma and TCU are the other schools Stewart hears from the most. There’s still quite a ways to go but Texas is positioning itself well.

—I spoke to a source close to Kosicusko (MS) wide receiver Antonio Harmon today. The new Texas offer is excited the Longhorns are in the race, and I’m told he and some other prospects are planning to visit Austin in July. Obviously, the dead period will still be in place at that time, so the only thing they can do is get around and see the city. Another source I spoke with said Harmon has strong ties to Ole Miss and the Rebels are the favorite, but Texas is now a real contender.

—I checked in today with a source near LSU commit JoJo Earle. I was told there is a belief Earle might be open to looking around and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him take his share of visits in the fall. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Texas is still in sporadic contact with Earle. This may be a long game but Texas needs to just keep working on chipping away and maybe they can put themselves into position if he opens things up.

—I checked in on Alabama graduate transfer Tyrell Shavers. Texas reached out to some people close to the Lewisville native to do some preliminary investigating, but to my knowledge, Texas has yet to reach out to him at this point. That’s a situation we are monitoring closely. It’s likely going to be an issue of working out numbers to see if they can take him right away before they move on it.

I know Evan Stewart decently well, I don't know how well UT is actually positioned he's definitely more interested in OU at the moment

2 minutes ago, JerryHubbard said:

Again - my question is not about Scalley per se. 

But I am glad that civil discourse is still possible. We still have that.

Well then let me answer you. If you ever utter publicly or are recorded dropping n bombs you absolutely deserve to get your shit put on blast and all the negative consequences that come with it. When it was said is irrelevant. No one just starts using that word out of nowhere, it's learned and practiced. Better? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

might have a point...

He meant to send it to the other coaches ... ? 

If they weren't going to ask before, now people are going to ask the other coaches what they knew, and whether he had used slurs while communicating with them ... this could get pretty messy.

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Well then let me answer you. If you ever utter publicly or are recorded dropping n bombs you absolutely deserve to get your shit put on blast and all the negative consequences that come with it. When it was said is irrelevant. No one just starts using that word out of nowhere, it's learned and practiced. Better? 

lulz.  you seem naive.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerryHubbard said:

Agree.

I’m not making excuses for Scalley. My question was more hypothetical because I can foresee  many more examples appearing over time. 

more examples are definitely going to appear over time.  you raise an interesting point. 

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

He meant to send it to the other coaches ... ? 

If they weren't going to ask before, now people are going to ask the other coaches what they knew, and whether he had used slurs while communicating with them ... this could get pretty messy.

Especially if other coaches were complicit in Scalley's behavior or worse, using the same kind of racist language.

13 hours ago, JerryHubbard said:

Obviously we don’t. It looks like Utah has hired outside counsel to investigate him.

But either way, he is toast.

People say and do stupid shit during their lives. We all have. How accountable do we hold people for past sins? How far back do we look?

Nah, campus PD @ aggy until Elko departs.

• Fuck You 1

The line of condemnation should at a minimum be drawn at 1968, but I'm not opposed to pushing it back another decade or more, like to 1954. The worst are the guys who only drop an N bomb in hushed tones to other whites assuming that because someone is white they are OK with it, even if they are a kid--insidious bitches trying to impress upon kids that all white adults talk that way. Fuck those guys. I knew too many of them growing up in the late 60's/early 70's and they rarely change. And fuck the Utah guy too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB thinks Texas is in a good position to land Mukuba. Says it’s a two horse race with Clemson neck and neck but likes where Texas stands. Also said LSU could be a dark horse if they get involved late 

So what he is saying is that Mukuba is Texas bound if Clemson doesn't want him and LSU fills up and decides not to get involved because of limited ships? I guess that is good. Kind of like if every man in the world died except for me and Kate Beckinsale was looking for a mate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So what he is saying is that Mukuba is Texas bound if Clemson doesn't want him and LSU fills up and decides not to get involved because of limited ships? I guess that is good. Kind of like if every man in the world died except for me and Kate Beckinsale was looking for a mate.

So it really means that Clemson and LSU aren't going to push because they have a litany of guys that are less likely to decommit over the course of the fall and winter that are just as good as Mukaba.

I am ok with that.

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Would we still turn up our nose at him? Things have gotten dire at WR since then.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's VaTech, he was a good get for them. Probably left because Davis broke up their big Texas-to-Blacksburg movement.

Fong's already CB'd him to Nebraska (strength 6)

He did list is as one of his five schools along with Nebraska, Florida, and some other schleprock.  With fongs cb to Nebraska I guess we’re out?

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So Neville tried to commit to ou, ended up committing to VaTech, and now is likely flipping to Nebraska.  Is the staff goofing his recruitment or is he just not as high as the fallbacks we are on already?

Isn't he just another Epps? Why would any of you who talk shit about Epps non stop just want another Epps like WR on the team? 

The IT guys have also been more bullish on Mukuba lately. Previously I assumed he was Clemson’s if they wanted him, and Texas if they didn’t, but maybe texas can legitimately  beat Clemson out for him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

The IT guys have also been more bullish on Mukuba lately. Previously I assumed he was Clemson’s if they wanted him, and Texas if they didn’t, but maybe texas can legitimately  beat Clemson out for him

you mean they actually took a timeout to their summertime sadness vibe?

• Like 1

Herman has handled recent events arguably better than any other head coach in the country, and that likely matters with some recruits. Dabo has had a bad two weeks, and that might matter with some recruits. I have no idea if either of those are a factor for Mukuba, but the thought crossed my mind. 

• Like 8