Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Spur right?

I'm not too familiar with the new defensive roles/names, but he's better at playing the run than in coverage, but he's still solid in coverage. Like a Chris Brown type. 

• Like 2

247 will have the offense rankings update June 17th.  Not sure if any of our commits will get a bump, maybe Brooks from an 86?  They've already been saying Stowers is a QB that'll get a bump ( no mention of Milroe ).  Maybe someone like JJ Henry gets an increase.

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

So Neville tried to commit to ou, ended up committing to VaTech, and now is likely flipping to Nebraska.  Is the staff goofing his recruitment or is he just not as high as the fallbacks we are on already?

Sounds like he’s just working (committing) his way back to Norman.

Question:  is Bryce Foster an EE?  I wouldn't think so with track. Idk how that'd work. Would he be able to throw at Texas as an EE?  

Why I'm asking is me hoping this OUsux flirtation is just him keeping mama off his ass till he can commit to texas and get the hell out of the house. That'd be a f'd up christmas. Lol

43 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Question:  is Bryce Foster an EE?  I wouldn't think so with track. Idk how that'd work. Would he be able to throw at Texas as an EE?  

Why I'm asking is me hoping this OUsux flirtation is just him keeping mama off his ass till he can commit to texas and get the hell out of the house. That'd be a f'd up christmas. Lol

I'd be surprised if he actually ends up at Texas 

49 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Haven’t see anything about him planning on enrolling early 

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Resetting the 2021 defensive board

As we enter the summer and college football attempts to return to normalcy in the coming months, recruiting will begin to trend toward its normal state with visits likely being reinstated during the fall if everything goes according to plan. The Texas class currently sits at 11 commits as the recruiting cycle enters the summer period.  The Longhorns usually have several big recruiting events throughout the summer with staples like the Heat Wave pool party and Stars at Night camp serving as tentpole events that will not take place this year.

As the staff continues to rev up their efforts, they will have to adjust to a board that is constantly moving and changing.  Some positions are filling nicely while others have some question marks surrounding them. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, Horns247 recruiting editor Mike Roach resets the board and looks at where offensive targets stand for the Longhorns.

Defensive Line

The Longhorns have a good start to the defensive line group. They inherited the best pass rusher in the state in Ja’Tavion Sanders and an emerging edge rusher prospect in Derrick Harris. Texas landed a commitment from Jordon Thomas earlier in the spring. Thomas could stick as a strong side end or push inside to tackle depending on how his large frame grows. The Longhorns will continue to chase options to add edge-rushing types and interior prospects to their roster.

DeSoto’s Shemar Turner remains the big prize as things stand right now. The four-star prospect just recently cut his top five which included Texas along with Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU. Despite a stacked SEC field, I’m told Texas is in a great position in his recruitment. Jay Valai is involved in this recruitment along with Chris Ash, Mark Hagen and Oscar Giles. Texas is putting a ton of resources into this recruitment right now.

Highland Springs (VA) DL Kelvin Gilliam is another player Texas will push to get on campus, but they sit behind a few other teams at this time. Marcus Burris is focusing on three programs in Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M, but the Sooners seem to have the advantage there as well. McKinney ‘s Jonathan Jones is another player Texas liked enough to offer and it sounds like they moved the needle for him when I checked in.

The same can be said for Garland Lakeview Centennial DL Ikechukwu Iwunnah. Texas also recently offered Notre Dame commit David Abiara, but I haven’t heard of much movement on that front. The bottom line is, Texas has a ton of options up front to finish out this group.

The Longhorns could look into some more options at the edge rushing position as well. One name I’ve heard is Oregon commit Terrell Tilmon. The Longhorns hosted the Mansfield Timberview edge early in the spring and they’ve been keeping in contact with him ever since.

Linebacker

With Morice Blackwell in the class, the Texas staff is looking to add more bodies to a depleted group. Terrence Cooks is a top priority for Coleman Hutzler and the Texas staff. Sources continue to express a high level of confidence in the Longhorns landing Cooks. If Texas can close the deal there, the questions will turn to who else the staff might be able to land.

The Longhorns are hanging around in the race for Jonesborough (TN) David Crockett linebacker Prince Kollie.   If Kollie waits to take some visits in the fall, the Longhorns could put themselves in position to capitalize there. It’s likely that Texas will continue to stay in contact with a few guys they have on the board committed elsewhere in case those recruitments open and Texas wins big in the fall. If that happens, they might have a few more options leading up to signing day than the ones that are currently available.

Cornerback

The Longhorns could get their first target in a week when four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem makes his decision. The Longhorns are trending in a big way for the high-ceiling corner going into his decision. If Texas can accomplish that goal, the focus will turn to finding the second and possibly third corner in this class. Jay Valai is heating up as a recruiter, and he will test that ability with some out of state recruitments like Pasadena (Calif.) John Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson, Bluefield (WV) cornerback Isaiah Johnson and Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany athlete Jaylin Smith.

Texas will also continue to pursue some of their targets who have made commitments like Denton Guyer’s Deuce Harmon. A big part of the Texas strategy this season is to prove it on the field and try to make an impact on some kids in the fall season. Texas could look at some other options in state at the cornerback position such as South Grand Prairie’s Jalon Williams. At 5-foot-11, 180 pounds, Williams is a strong athlete holding a 10.52 100 meter time as a freshman.

Safety

The safety position is beginning to come together with Billy Bowman in the class and a possibility to end up at defensive back. Like Ibraheem, Texas is trending heavily for JD Coffey. The four-star Kennedale safety has been a target for Chris Ash since he arrived in Austin and he’s set to make his decision at the same time as Ibraheem. Once the Longhorns figure out where things stand with Coffey, they can. move forward.

If the Longhorns close on Coffey, they likely will have limited space to finish the group out. Ash is in heavy pursuit of local prospect Andrew Mukuba and he recently offered another local prospect in Manor’s Devin Lemear. The Longhorns will also be in communication with guys like SMU commit Isaiah Nwokobia throughout the year. Assuming Texas can land Coffey next week, Ash will have the luxury of being picky when it comes to filling out the safety group.

• Like 1

(Eric Nahlin) Inside Scoop: Mukuba, Banks, Dewberry, Greene Jr., Hutson, contingencies, transfers

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

The Texas coaching staff remains active on the recruiting trail. The IT Staff lays out the late spring recruiting landscape as priorities get further into their recruiting process, more contingency options arise, and potential transfer additions become apparent in the Portal.

ANDREW MUKUBA

For the 2020 cycle, Texas landed two good safety prospects who are great fits for Chris Ash’s defense. I think Ash would have prioritized Xavion Alford and Jerrin Thompson if he was the defensive coordinator last year. This cycle we get to see Ash set his preferences. He currently has two in-state safeties standing out as clear targets: Kennedale’s JD Coffey and Austin LBJ’s Andrew Mukuba.

Mukuba has emerged as one of the bigger targets in the class, aided by Texas being in a dogfight with Oklahoma initially, and now Clemson along with some others. Even if the depth chart in the secondary has its bottlenecks, you have to keep the pipeline stocked with promising young players to develop into future starters. If you’re Texas, you certainly don’t want to miss on a homegrown talent.

Where he’s at with recruiting:
“Coronavirus has the timing all off. Things have been really interesting since I dropped my top 12. I’m getting close to making a top five. Everything is going pretty good, I’m in contact with all the coaches I need to be.”

How to make his top five:
“Schools that show the most interest will make the top five. Schools in the original top 12, there were some I shouldn’t have had in there due to lack of communication.”

How things are going with Texas:
“Going pretty good, I talk to Coach Ash literally every day. Me and Herman communicate probably three times a week. Things are going good. Ever since they offered me they’ve been on me pretty tough.”

His fit at Texas:
“Coach Ash sees me as a safety who can play in coverage but also come down and make tackles. He says I can play either safety or nickel.“

Herman’s support of vocal players protesting:
“That’s something that really opened my eyes, that just tells me what type of person he is and he cares about his players. We talked about the whole situation and he let met know he cares and it’s bigger than football.”

Clemson is high on the list:
“Clemson is definitely one of my top schools. I talk to Coach (Brent) Venables all the time.“

Timeframe:
“My goal is to commit going into my senior season but if it doesn’t work out, I haven’t thought that far ahead. I’m not 100 percent sure what I’ll do because I haven’t been able to take visits.”

Still hasn’t been able to visit Clemson:
“I haven’t visited Clemson yet. I want to visit before I make my decision. I hope I can visit in August.”

Other schools vying for the top five:
“I talk to UCLA, Arizona State, Alabama a lot. Arkansas a lot, Michigan State a lot. Definitely LSU. I talk to TCU a lot too.”

Distance doesn’t matter:
“Nah, truly wherever I feel comfortable. If it’s close by or far, where I feel comfortable and where I fit in best is where I’ll go.”

Another Mukuba waiting in the wings:
“My brother Fatu, he’s going to be way different than me. He can play any position on the field. I bring him to compete with the high school kids and he does all right. I feel like he can do anything on the field. He’s only 14, he’s still growing, he’s going to be taller than me.”

Future major:
“Business management.”

JD Coffey and Ishmael Ibraheem will decide on June 15th:
“Yeah, those are my brothers! We talk all the time about playing together which is something we want to make happen.”

KELVIN BANKS and KAM DEWBERRY

“When I said Dewberry may not finish as the top OL in the class, Kelvin Banks was the guy on my mind as potentially overtaking him.” - Eric Nahlin, June 9th, 2019 in his beloved 2020-2021 Prospects Board. A year later and Banks, a rising junior from Humble Summer Creek, is finally starting to emerge a bit.

I’m sorry Eric Michael Wright, but Oklahoma State is going to have trouble holding on to Banks. Banks surprised the few paying attention when he gave a verbal commitment to the 'Pokes last September. I was indifferent given his age and where I suspected his profile was headed. Recent clips like the one above and others have reminded college coaches that Kelvin Banks is still out there in need of being recruited.

Banks communicated with Texas for the first time in a long time last week. He also talks to Oklahoma State (of course) and LSU. Banks grew up with Kameron Dewberry, who is “next” at Atascocita after Sam Cosmi and Kenyon Green. The two would like to play together, but Banks acknowledges that may not happen “because we have such different personalities.” Finding a school that fits both may prove difficult. I’m not sure I agree with that but it’s refreshing to not read “we’re a packaged deal! [package emoji, handshake emoji].”

Dewberry has a higher profile than Banks and talks with LSU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, and Penn State the most. I’ve always felt Texas was in good shape with Dewberry but recruiting is going to start getting serious and become more business-like.

EZRA OYETADE

After we mentioned the 6-foot-3, 285-pound Ezra Oyetade in the most recent Humidor, I got a chance to catch up with the three-star bowling-ball-of-knives from Lakeview Centennial this weekend. Oyetade has 24 offers, but Texas is one that he’d like to add to that total. Even without that burnt orange offer, the recruiting process has been good to Oyetade.

“It has been hectic,” said Oyetade. “But also calm at the same time. I just thank God for the blessings and opportunity that he has given me. There are a couple schools that really have my attention and I will be visiting for sure as soon as I can.“

Virginia, Vanderbilt, and Arizona State are all high on his list. He thinks highly of the Horns, and would love to hear more from them. He’s a highly intelligent kid that knows exactly what he’s looking for. “A family-orientated team,” Oyetade said. “I want a coaching staff who genuinely cares about the well-being and success of the athletes on and off the field.

Even though he doesn’t play basketball anymore, the big guy can still dunk. Those skills from the hardwood translate to the field. “I’ve always played basketball and football, and basketball always helps when it comes to quickness and feet,” said Oyetade. He’s listed as a center but can play anywhere in the interior of the offensive line. This is a kid that needs prioritizing, especially in this cycle.

ANDRE GREENE JR.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound field-stretching receiver from St. Christopher’s School in Richmond, VA recently added Texas to his list of offers. Only a 2022, his offer sheet grows by the day. LSU, Florida, Auburn, Michigan, and Oregon are among his 30 offers. “The recruiting process has been a great experience so far,” said Greene Jr. “It’s bittersweet because of everything going on with the coronavirus, but I’m just continuing to work hard so whenever things calm down, I’ll be ready to take the field.”

Greene Jr. is one of many prospects who had their recruitments halted in the early stages due to the global pandemic. Once he can, he plans to see some college campuses. “Because it’s so early in the recruiting process and the coronavirus is still going on, I haven’t had a chance to visit many schools at all and get to personally know them,” Greene Jr. said. “However, as soon as it’s safer, I plan to visit several schools and at some point begin to narrow down my choices.”

His vision for the next 4 to 5 years is clear and aware. “What I’m looking for in a college program is being able to get a good education, but also where I can grow and show my skills,” said Greene Jr. “Ultimately, I’d like to play professional football and have a college degree as a backup.“

The verbal invitation from UT sparked his interest. “I think Texas is a quality program,” said Greene Jr. “They have both a strong academic background and excellent football tradition. I’m looking forward to building a relationship and visiting at some point.“ He’s entering his junior campaign, but his sophomore tape is an early indicator.

COLE HUTSON

The 6-foot-3, 290-pound offensive guard from Frisco High picked up an offer from UT last week. The 2022 prospect has seen his stock rise during the pandemic. Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas A&M, and Arizona State arrived to the party a little earlier, but I'm told Texas really likes this kid. “It’s very exciting,” said Hutson. “After the past few months of getting to know Coach (Herb) Hand, and getting to know the culture, I look forward to learning more about the program and coaches.”

Hutson’s father, Scott, played baseball at Arizona State and later pitched in the big leagues. Cole insists that ASU isn’t a leader, only a school he’s really familiar with. When looking at 2022 offensive line prospects, Hutson looks to be at the top of the second tier and closing in on the top group. He’ll visit Texas this fall.

AROUND THE HORN

2021 Texarkana Pleasant Grove DE and LSU commit Landon Jackson will likely take most of his official visits this fall. Texas still stays in constant contact and Jackson is definitely listening. 2021 Texarkana Pleasant Grove DL Marcus Burris continues to trend toward Oklahoma. I’m told he will want to take a few official visits no matter when he makes a commitment.

Alabama redshirt junior and former Lewisville receiver Tyrell Shavers recently entered the NCAA Transfer Portal. Texas is interested in the 6-foot-4 freak athlete and wants to see him. I believe Mississippi State has the slight edge today.

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Herman’s support of vocal players protesting:
“That’s something that really opened my eyes, that just tells me what type of person he is and he cares about his players. We talked about the whole situation and he let met know he cares and it’s bigger than football.”

Really encouraging to see recruits taking notice of Herman's handling of the situation.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

JD Coffey and Ishmael Ibraheem will decide on June 15th:
“Yeah, those are my brothers! We talk all the time about playing together which is something we want to make happen.”

This almost always means nothing. But fuck it lets go

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen. Proof reading is a pain in the ass. Then again, it also isn't a part of my job description. 

Given their typical output, I doubt that it's a part of the job description of Roach and his colleagues, either.  

Edited by Getafix

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Malcolm Johnson talks Texas interest, decision timeline

Spoiler

Malcolm Johnson talks Texas interest, decision timeline

MikeRoach

The Longhorns have been working hard to identify game-breaking offensive weapons.

One of the fastest players in the country is Malcolm Johnson Jr. The four-star wide receiver from Bryans Road (MD) St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes is a highly-regarded prospect and Texas recently made his top eight list. Johnson told Horns247 that Texas checked a few boxes for him.

“It’s a great program,” Johnson said. “They have great academics and big-time football as well as track.”

Johnson has been in communication with Texas coaches Tom Herman, Andre Coleman and Mike Yurcich. He’s also been in talks with members of the Texas track coaching staff. He loves the plan the staff laid out for him and he thinks highly of Herman.

“They really have a plan in using me in their offense, and coach Herman is a really good guy,” he said. “He’s very deliberate and genuine.”

With visits expected to resume in the fall, many prospects are narrowing their choices down and figuring out their trips. When asked what the chances were Texas would get an official visit, Johnson boiled it down to a percentage.

“It’s a 12.5% chance just like all of the other schools,” he said. “I like Texas as much as I like the other schools.”

Johnson wanted to take his visits in the spring and summer to make a decision before his first game. While he’s not sure what his new date will be, He knows he wants to take all of his visits.

“Initially it was going to be before the first game,” he said. “I’m not sure what will happen now because I cannot take visits. I will most definitely take all of my officials though.”

Johnson hasn’t been to Texas but he’s seen the team play on television and the brand recognition played a big part.

“I just think of winning and history,” he said. “The name really just speaks for itself and it is one of the most prestigious programs in the country.”

At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 38 wide receiver in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in Maryland, according to 247Sports Composite.

Spoiler

In comments in the thread - 

Q: In my opinion, he and Alexis would make this an elite WR classHave we been putting a lot of work in this one? He’s really fast

MR: A ton of resources and it's going to take a lot to win him.

Q: Who would you say we are behind right now? Alabama and who else

MR: Out of the 8 teams I'd say probably one of the bottom three from what I've heard

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

MR: Out of the 8 teams I'd say probably one of the bottom three from what I've heard

350.png

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Malcolm Johnson talks Texas interest, decision timeline

Hide contents

Malcolm Johnson talks Texas interest, decision timeline

MikeRoach

The Longhorns have been working hard to identify game-breaking offensive weapons.

One of the fastest players in the country is Malcolm Johnson Jr. The four-star wide receiver from Bryans Road (MD) St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes is a highly-regarded prospect and Texas recently made his top eight list. Johnson told Horns247 that Texas checked a few boxes for him.

“It’s a great program,” Johnson said. “They have great academics and big-time football as well as track.”

Johnson has been in communication with Texas coaches Tom Herman, Andre Coleman and Mike Yurcich. He’s also been in talks with members of the Texas track coaching staff. He loves the plan the staff laid out for him and he thinks highly of Herman.

“They really have a plan in using me in their offense, and coach Herman is a really good guy,” he said. “He’s very deliberate and genuine.”

With visits expected to resume in the fall, many prospects are narrowing their choices down and figuring out their trips. When asked what the chances were Texas would get an official visit, Johnson boiled it down to a percentage.

“It’s a 12.5% chance just like all of the other schools,” he said. “I like Texas as much as I like the other schools.”

Johnson wanted to take his visits in the spring and summer to make a decision before his first game. While he’s not sure what his new date will be, He knows he wants to take all of his visits.

“Initially it was going to be before the first game,” he said. “I’m not sure what will happen now because I cannot take visits. I will most definitely take all of my officials though.”

Johnson hasn’t been to Texas but he’s seen the team play on television and the brand recognition played a big part.

“I just think of winning and history,” he said. “The name really just speaks for itself and it is one of the most prestigious programs in the country.”

At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 38 wide receiver in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in Maryland, according to 247Sports Composite.

Hide contents

In comments in the thread - 

Q: In my opinion, he and Alexis would make this an elite WR classHave we been putting a lot of work in this one? He’s really fast

This isn't happening. Credit to the kid, though. Putting Texas in your top 8 to troll blOU is A++. I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes.

Lots of sports talk around Texas and Hermans Support from non Texas folks. Parents have to see this and want their kid molded in a program that Texas is showing. As we’ve always said it’s more than football. Hopefully parents are waking up 

Mike at Night: Where does Texas stand with the Brockermeyers?

I spent some time at Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal School today as high schools in Texas were allowed to begin summer conditioning. ASES is a favorite stop of mine, but I was interested to see five-star offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer and his brother, four-star center James Brockermeyer in action. Tommy has completely recovered from last year’s shoulder injury and James looks to be closing in on 280 pounds. Their father Blake Brockermeyer is also back coaching them at All Saints after leaving his post at SMU.

I was able to talk with the family and some sources to get a full picture of where things stand within the recruitments. I originally thought these recruitments would push into the fall with visits, but I think it’s more likely a summer decision happens. From talking with Tommy, I think he’s completely over the recruiting process. He wasn’t that into it to begin with and the calls are starting to become overwhelming. I get the feeling that James likes the process more, but if Tommy makes a decision, I see James doing the same around the same time.

Last spring, I reported that Texas was not a lock by any means and Alabama would be a serious contender if they offered James. While the boys have listed Auburn and LSU as other finalists, I get the feeling this is a head to head between Tom Herman and Nick Saban. I entered 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions for Texas shortly after both boys were offered. While Bama seemed to gain an edge over the last year, I decided to sit on my picks until I felt compelled to change them.

After gathering as much information as possible, I feel strongly enough that both brothers are leaning towards Alabama and I’ve changed my pick to reflect that. I was told that the decision is not final, but the Tide have separated from Texas as of right now. Coming off of a Sugar Bowl victory, Texas was in a prime position to land the legacies. Last season’s results and the massive coaching turnover stalled momentum for Texas and allowed the Crimson Tide to capitalize. In checking with sources around the family, I’m told that Herb Hand recruited them harder than any other coach, but Texas is at a deficit when it comes to pitching NFL development.

I’ve said for many months that I think the hardest thing they’d have to overcome is the fact that they grew up dreaming of playing at Texas and that chance was in front of them. After talking to some sources near the family, I believe both boys have overcome that and are prepared to make a choice to go elsewhere.

I’m not sure Texas is done in this race yet. The Longhorns have been doing everything they can to get through and they have the family in their corner. I believe that if the parents had a vote they’d love to have both boys close to home at their alma mater. It was made clear to me that the choice was completely up to Tommy and James, but the family obviously has strong ties to the Texas program. Whatever happens, I still expect the family to take their share of visits during the season if they are allowed. They will likely see as many Texas games as possible with their brother Luke currently on the roster and progress this season could change the outlook for the Longhorns.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Honestly, I've just become - comfortably? - numb when it comes to the Brockermeyers.  

Well you shouldn’t be. Our OL literally depends on them and if we dont land them it’s an unmitigated disaster. That being said we’re probably fucked. 

19 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Lots of sports talk around Texas and Hermans Support from non Texas folks. Parents have to see this and want their kid molded in a program that Texas is showing. As we’ve always said it’s more than football. Hopefully parents are waking up 

Fyi...

Try not to overreact to "called out a large fan base".  For me, Finebaum means the entire CFB fan base.  The video is not negative towards Herman...

Edited by LTtxfan