Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Fuck it, I'm in to.  Show me a loss.  Brock's can commit to Bama'.  If we can't show them a loss come December they ain't signing with them.  Byrd, Wheaton, Landon Jackson, Turner, errbody.

You are right but... The Brocks indicated that they want to commit this summer. The only one who would put pressure on them to commit this summer is Saban. They have already signed one 5 star tackle and are in on others so they are sitting in a position where they can tell linemen to commit or lose their spot.

29 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This can't be overstated. Go back and watch the difference in the Texas D, how much faster and more aggressive they looked against a really good Utah offense. Compare that to their outing against Kansas or TCU. That Utah offense was FAR superior and the Utah coaching staff is one of the best in CFB. People have really downplayed that bowl but if you feel that way go back and watch that game again because the defense, by simplifying things just a bit, looked entirely different against an offense that was much better than most of the 2019 scheudle. Crappy teams that befuddled them earlier in the season with Orlando and his patented FS blitz from San Saba on 3rd and 64. 

Ossai had 9 tackles including SIX TFLs and 3 sacks in that game. It's almost like - if you recruit elite guys to do a thing and then just let them do that thing, instead of scheming their talent out of the gameplan, that they perform at a really fucking high level. 

That defense absolutely humbled Utah and it did with Cort Jaquess starting at LB. 

Well at this point we’re just passing the kool aid back and forth, but I’m still thirsty. I think the biggest difference in our defense and whole team this year will be increased consistency. Even when our defense was good under Orlando, we were very hit or miss because his game plan would either befuddle the opposing offense, or they’d kill us over and over with the same plays and Orlando couldn’t adjust. 

Herman’s always gotten shit for dropping 2-3 games a year he shouldn’t, but he’s also never been a HC with anyone other than Orlando as his DC.  If you look at Herman’s losses to inferior opponents over the years, about 2 per year were due to Orlando losing his mind and giving up 500 yards and 50 points.

I’m not saying Herman won’t have some bad games and underperform at times, but a good bit of his reputation for blowing games against inferior teams is due to Orlando. Getting rid of Orlando should go a long way towards improving consistency and avoiding blowing games to teams we should beat. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not saying Herman won’t have some bad games and underperform at times, but a good bit of his reputation for blowing games against inferior teams is due to Orlando. Getting rid of Orlando should go a long way towards improving consistency and avoiding blowing games to teams we should beat. 

This has been true at Texas, not at Houston. The common problem in losses at Houston was turnovers

Spoiler

2015: 13-1, loss to UConn. 

spacer.png

2016: 9-3, losses to Navy, SMU, and Memphis

spacer.png

This one supports the Orlando narrative

spacer.png

spacer.png

I too am looking forward to seeing the defense in this post-Orlando reality. I am much more interested, though in how much governor Herman is going to put on Yurch in the name of ball control. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This has been true at Texas, not at Houston. The common problem in losses at Houston was turnovers

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I too am looking forward to seeing the defense in this post-Orlando reality. I am much more interested, though in how much governor Herman is going to put on Yurch in the name of ball control. 

Herman has to let Yurcich do his thing.  Ball control hasn't helped us out much over the past couple of seasons

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

2015 UConn was because Ward was injured, and he was basically their whole offense that year. Certainly not on Orlando, and he actually didn’t have a very bad performance that whole year, so credit to him, though we know now Orlando’s first year at a school is very misleading. 

2016 was different. The offense wasn’t great in 2 of their 3 losses but was only really bad against SMU. The defense was pretty bad in all 3. Navy was definitely sloppy by both sides, but Orlando gave up almost 5 YPC on 63 carries to Navy and forced 0 turnovers. The 3 TOs by the offense were bad, but the offense did put up 484 yards and scored 40 points. And if you watched that game, Orlando’s run blitzes and unsound fundamentals were on full display. It was certainly a bad performance by his defense. 

The defensive stats against SMU weren’t terrible, but Hicks was a freshman and didn’t play well that season. Unsurprisingly,  he had easily one of his best games of the season against Orlando. 

Overall, including UH, Orlando averages about 2-3 games per year that are a huge part of Herman teams losing to inferior opponents. 

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Exactly how hard is it to just look at Ketch's LoneStar 100 or Looch 44 lists and offer and recruit just the top 20.  Then look up the national composite ranking and offer the top 50 overall players..  We make this soooooo difficult. Recruiting services do all the hard work, we just have to close

Ok Mack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Per TFB 

Am told 2021 OT, Savion Byrd did a virtual visit with Texas last week. Before that visit, I felt Texas had fallen a bit behind SMU and OU.

I think Texas has narrowed the gap. I’d still lean a bit away from Texas until I hear something a little more definitive.

narrowed the gap, my ass.  there is no gap. sure, these guys like samples and think he’s cool but there are no blue chip recruits going to play for the fucking ponies.  if they happen to commit they will decommit.  stone will stick because he isn’t actually a blue chip and he sucks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

This can't be overstated. Go back and watch the difference in the Texas D, how much faster and more aggressive they looked against a really good Utah offense. Compare that to their outing against Kansas or TCU. That Utah offense was FAR superior and the Utah coaching staff is one of the best in CFB. People have really downplayed that bowl but if you feel that way go back and watch that game again because the defense, by simplifying things just a bit, looked entirely different against an offense that was much better than most of the 2019 scheudle. Crappy teams that befuddled them earlier in the season with Orlando and his patented FS blitz from San Saba on 3rd and 64. 

Ossai had 9 tackles including SIX TFLs and 3 sacks in that game. It's almost like - if you recruit elite guys to do a thing and then just let them do that thing, instead of scheming their talent out of the gameplan, that they perform at a really fucking high level. 

That defense absolutely humbled Utah and it did with Cort Jaquess starting at LB. 

Defenders spent more time thinking that reacting. Simplify the scheme and let the elite athletes be elite athletes...also no more fucking delayed blitzes

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Mack used the centex 100 and occasionally got a phone call from an alumnus with a prospect son. 

Wrong. Mack mostly did his own scouting and made offers based off that. How could he have known to offer Brock Fitzhenry? He certainly wasn’t on any top 100 list of any kind. 

23 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Herman is a lame duck coach until he proves he's not. Until then our recruiting will suffer.

I mean, he's had three top five classes in a row being a lame duck coach. He fired everyone that was recruiting for him so we were always bound to take a hit this year once that happened. If we can manage to pull a Big XII championship out of our ass then the remainder of 2021 may not be so bad and we'd kill in 2022 

5 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I mean, he's had three top five classes in a row being a lame duck coach. He fired everyone that was recruiting for him so we were always bound to take a hit this year once that happened. If we can manage to pull a Big XII championship out of our ass then the remainder of 2021 may not be so bad and we'd kill in 2022 

*three top ten classes. Last year's class was #8. Still good, though more of a "doing what he's supposed to do" versus a top five "nice fucking job" kind of deal.

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

*three top ten classes. Last year's class was #8. Still good, though more of a "doing what he's supposed to do" versus a top five "nice fucking job" kind of deal.

This is true, even Charlie "it's December so I guess I'll start recruiting" Strong fell ass-first into a couple of top ten classes. We desperately need to not only win but do so convincingly to save this year's class and have any hope for 2022. My unsolicited opinion is we beat LSU this season. That would be a great starting point. 

1 minute ago, TankedBevo said:

This is true, even Charlie "it's December so I guess I'll start recruiting" Strong fell ass-first into a couple of top ten classes. We desperately need to not only win but do so convincingly to save this year's class and have any hope for 2022. My unsolicited opinion is we beat LSU this season. That would be a great starting point. 

If we win 10+ games, even unconvincingly, 2022 will be fine from a recruiting POV as long as the post-Sam hangover isn't too bad.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If we win 10+ games, even unconvincingly, 2022 will be fine from a recruiting POV as long as the post-Sam hangover isn't too bad.

Hopefully we can blow someone out enough to where we can really see what Casey or the others can do rather than just handing it off the whole time 

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman’s always gotten shit for dropping 2-3 games a year he shouldn’t, but he’s also never been a HC with anyone other than Orlando as his DC.  If you look at Herman’s losses to inferior opponents over the years, about 2 per year were due to Orlando losing his mind and giving up 500 yards and 50 points.  I’m not saying Herman won’t have some bad games and underperform at times, but a good bit of his reputation for blowing games against inferior teams is due to Orlando. Getting rid of Orlando should go a long way towards improving consistency and avoiding blowing games to teams we should beat. 

giphy.gif

Will also be interesting to see Herman finally have a good OC at Texas...

This class is still shaping up to be very good.  I’m really disappointed with OL and WR recruiting and even TE to a certain extent.  Even without the Brocks, this will be another class in the 7-10 range.  The staff is very good at evaluating.  I’m sure we’ll find some good raw talent to RS and develop along the OL just like we did with Cosmi, Kerstetter, Hookfin, Christian Jones.  

With that said, there is no excuse for Herman to lose out on 3rd generation legacy recruits that have a brother on the team.  All of our shortcomings are straight up because Herman couldn’t swallow his ego and fire his shitty G5 coaching staff he brought along with him.  He has no one to blame but himself.  Until he can evaluate his weaknesses as a coach, our program won’t take the next step to compete with Bama, Clemson, LSU, tOSU.  This is a make or break year for him.  If he doesn’t win this year, he’ll get next year, but honestly... next year will be a rebuilding year without Sam, Cosmi, Kerstetter, Ossai, etc.  

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

With that said, there is no excuse for Herman to lose out on 3rd generation legacy recruits that have a brother on the team.  All of our shortcomings are straight up because Herman couldn’t swallow his ego and fire his shitty G5 coaching staff he brought along with him.  He has no one to blame but himself.  Until he can evaluate his weaknesses as a coach, our program won’t take the next step to compete with Bama, Clemson, LSU, tOSU.  This is a make or break year for him.  If he doesn’t win this year, he’ll get next year, but honestly... next year will be a rebuilding year without Sam, Cosmi, Kerstetter, Ossai, etc.  

But... he did that? Or did you want him to can them after the Sugar Bowl?

(I mean, he obviously should have recognized at UH that guys like Warehime and Mehringer were dead weight, but that's an earlier timeframe than we're looking at here).

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

But... he did that? Or did you want him to can them after the Sugar Bowl?

(I mean, he obviously should have recognized at UH that guys like Warehime and Mehringer were dead weight, but that's an earlier timeframe than we're looking at here).

You know there's a middle grown between you two, sir. Yes, he should have known there was dead weight in those two clowns. He also could have fired Mehringer mid season, and promoted Coleman. And we likely could/would have retained Quentin Johnson. How much better would we feel about WR if we had closed on that guy? 

Yes, he fired those fucktards. He should have let some go much sooner, and others shouldn't have been brought to Texas. None of that changes the fact that Herman literally has to win and win big this year. 

• Like 3