Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: First group returns to Austin, players getting acclimated, depth chart, and Q. Ewers

This is the most depth we have had in a LONG fucking time especially at WR, DL and DB. Would love to see Tyler Johnson unseat Okafor at RG. And I am with Macklin in regards to Ojomo...dude needs to play. Jalen Green needs to be starting at corner, dude is built for Ashs defense

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So Eagles is definitely going to play this year? Sorry if that's known, but I bailed on that dumpster fire of a thread on the football board pretty early.

Eagles hasn’t announced anything since his initial tweet. I think most people believe he’ll end up coming around to playing by August. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: First group returns to Austin, players getting acclimated, depth chart, and Q. Ewers

Really like this part...

"We hear the staff isn’t going to be nearly as rigid with where receivers line up. The best guys will not only play but move around. The feeling is each of these three can catch a lot of passes from any alignment."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Y - Cade Brewer - Brewer gets the nod but Jared Wiley will be pushing him. Nobody is writing off Brayden Liebrock or Malcolm Epps as flex options either. There’s a lot of excitement surrounding Wiley as a do-it-all type.

Yeah I don't think that's going to last into the season. Wiley will supplant him when they put pads on.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Really like this part...

"We hear the staff isn’t going to be nearly as rigid with where receivers line up. The best guys will not only play but move around. The feeling is each of these three can catch a lot of passes from any alignment."

I wonder who thought that up?

Get your best players on the field.  What a great idea. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Call me stupid, but what is wrong with The Eyes of Texas? Not sure what part has anything to do with race. Is there some other verse I am unaware of?

Originated in a minstrel show

https://thedailytexan.com/2018/04/17/the-eyes-of-texas-racist-tradition-or-cornerstone-of-school-sprit

The song was written and performed in a period of intense anti-black sentiment in Texas, Gordon said. The question at hand was whether it is possible to distinguish between the song’s racist past and its place as a University tradition and declaration of school spirit. SG representatives considered whether to stop singing the song within their own meetings, a tradition that has gone back for several administrations.

Gordon said the song was established in 1903 during a period of lynchings and Jim Crow society, but he did not offer the assembly a solution for whether they should sing the song or not.  

“This is definitely about minstrelsy and past racism,” Gordon said. “It’s also definitely about school pride. One question is whether it can be both those things or whether it can be one or the other.”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah that bit I was unaware of at all.

Reading the Wiki...

John Sinclair wrote the Texas-specific song lyrics in 1903 to the tune of the original folk song, "I've Been Working on the Railroad," that was published nine years earlier in 1894. Sinclair was the editor of the Cactus yearbook and a UT band member, and he wrote the lyrics per the request of band member Lewis Johnson. Johnson was also the program director of the Varsity Minstrel Show that raised funds for the university track team. He debuted the song at the minstrel show, also known as a blackface performance.

Ok, but there is still nothing racial in the song. If we eradicate everything from history that was done by people with "questionable racial ethics," there will be nothing from the past at all.

I'm certainly not standing up for racism. It just isn't involved in The Eyes.

• Like 8

On 6/11/2020 at 11:18 AM, texifornia said:

Roach is checking out @golfclap's favorite DL offer today

https://247sports.com/Player/Jonathan-Jones-46098189/

I guess the 9.95ers have decided to just cull surly for ideas and run from there? should we expect a write up next week on how the defense played against Utah as a roadmap to what we should expect it to look like in 2020 under Ash? 

I really do think this guy is a take with or without Turner in the class. 

22 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Reading the Wiki...

Ok, but there is still nothing racial in the song. If we eradicate everything from history that was done by people with "questionable racial ethics," there will be nothing from the past at all.

I'm certainly not standing up for racism. It just isn't involved in The Eyes.

I mean who even KNEW about that? I have been singing it my entire life and had zero idea

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eagles hasn’t announced anything since his initial tweet. I think most people believe he’ll end up coming around to playing by August. 

Be curious how Coach Herman's "meritocracy" plays if he shows in August. The WR room was fractured last year when Epps was given unearned snaps, that and Meh being awful at building relationships.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Oh shit

TL;DR 

Rename the buildings, tear down the statues, get rid of the eyes or we won't recruit on behalf of the university or do anything donor related

Edit to add: It looks like most of the black players I follow on Twitter have posted it.

We’ve always stated “What starts here changes the world”. Being on the forefront of this, especially being driven by the athletic department, can only be beneficial for everyone involved going forward. I don’t know if striking the fight song is the answer or not, but at least having the conversation can foster growth going forward.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He'd have more opportunity at LB, too. 

Also, Chris Brown is going to be my favorite player this year. It is decided. 

I remember when he was recruited there was a hint of skepticism around him, but from the first time I saw him take the field, he's been an absolute favorite of mine.  I have no sources near the team, but he just seems like a grinder who never whines or gets down.  Truly hope he plays well enough to get a shot on Sundays.

• Like 1

As Sydney pointed out. The players have already labeled the song as racist. If you don’t change the song, the players will have a bunch of white fans proudly singing a now racist song to them. And I’m sure if it is changed, you will still have some “der jobs” people singing the song anyway because “tradition”. 

And that’s best case scenario. 

Worst case, the current players won’t play, transfer, and everyone decommits 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

As Sydney pointed out. The players have already labeled the song as racist. If you don’t change the song, the players will have a bunch of white fans proudly singing a now racist song to them. And I’m sure if it is changed, you will still have some “der jobs” people singing the song anyway because “tradition”. 

comedy central GIF by Another Period

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The players won't transfer just because of the song, but if the department/university don't capitulate in some way (if not fully) it will cause a lot of bad PR. Herman hasn't commented on the situation yet but imo he will need to show some level of public support for the players' stance if he wants to retain the goodwill he got after his BLM comments.

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think you have a very wrong read on this. The players are doing EXACTLY what Tom Herman told them to do. To use their voice and to not "just talk about it but be about it". There isn't a head coach in the country that has handled this better than Herman. I know,  It stuns me, as well. This is part of what Herman wants his guys to do.  I sent a message to @texifornia about this very early on, but this isn't a locker room in turmoil, it's 100% the opposite. It's not just the Texas players that his stance and his honesty on the subject are resonating with, recruits, trainers, families. 

This will lead to positive change for UT. It's being driven and given voice by the players. 

It will also lead to job security for Tom if he goes 8-5ish, mensa.

• Like 1

I think you have a very wrong read on this. The players are doing EXACTLY what Tom Herman told them to do. To use their voice and to not "just talk about it but be about it". There isn't a head coach in the country that has handled this better than Herman. I know,  It stuns me, as well. This is part of what Herman wants his guys to do.  I sent a message to [mention=384]texifornia[/mention] about this very early on, but this isn't a locker room in turmoil, it's 100% the opposite. It's not just the Texas players that his stance and his honesty on the subject are resonating with — it’s current players elsewhere, recruits, trainers, families. 
This will lead to positive change for UT. It's being driven and given voice by the players. 

Well said, sir. This is exactly correct.

4 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I've always thought that if you look at the lyrics from the perspective of a slave it takes on a more sinister tone.

I feel like that holds for many songs.

Regardless, there's no reason the players should be forced to sing it, especially when we've seen coaches not do it before. And it's great to see Herman encouraging players to use their voice and reach to push for these changes and for the players to be responding in turn like this, as opposed to the players at A&M/Baylor/other Texas schools who would rather keep silent than use their clout to be agents of positive change.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think you have a very wrong read on this. The players are doing EXACTLY what Tom Herman told them to do. To use their voice and to not "just talk about it but be about it". There isn't a head coach in the country that has handled this better than Herman. I know,  It stuns me, as well. This is part of what Herman wants his guys to do.  I sent a message to @texifornia about this very early on, but this isn't a locker room in turmoil, it's 100% the opposite. It's not just the Texas players that his stance and his honesty on the subject are resonating with — it’s current players elsewhere, recruits, trainers, families. 

I don’t think he has the wrong read (since he’s quoting my opinion). I believe 100% what you said and what happens if UT says pound sand on the song are mutually exclusive. The locker room might be100%, but that doesn’t mean singing the eyes going forward won’t stick in their craw. 

This is a negotiation. If the song stays, it needs to be because the athletes got concessions and are HAPPY with the outcome, and they come out in support of keeping the song. Otherwise it will be a sour point going forward. Huck suggested a media campaign, and I think that would be a good way to go if a compromise is reached. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

I am sure some sort of compromise will be reached. There are many famous AA athletes from UT who proudly sing the eyes. Some are already within the athletic department. Hopefully, some of these athletes will come forward and help with the negotiation.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t think he has the wrong read (since he’s quoting my opinion). I believe 100% what you said and what happens if UT says pound sand on the song are mutually exclusive. The locker room might be100%, but that doesn’t mean singing the eyes going forward won’t stick in their craw. 

This is a negotiation. If the song stays, it needs to be because the athletes got concessions and are HAPPY with the outcome, and they come out in support of keeping the song. Otherwise it will be a sour point going forward. Huck suggested a media campaign, and I think that would be a good way to go if a compromise is reached. 

I agree. I also think Clap is right about the players using their voice. I also think CDC is a good leader. I think he will talk to the players and make sure they are happy with all the changes and the path forward. If that includes the song, a different version of the song, not required to sing it, or a different song. Whatever. I think everyone is going to discuss the concerns and make a path forward with buy in

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

We’ve always stated “What starts here changes the world”. Being on the forefront of this, especially being driven by the athletic department, can only be beneficial for everyone involved going forward. I don’t know if striking the fight song is the answer or not, but at least having the conversation can foster growth going forward.

Nah man, giving into stupid requests will only make things worse. I can agree with some of the stuff on the list, but most of it is just fucking retarded.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Chip Brown: The social conscience conversation at Texas just got real

AUSTIN, Texas - The mirror of social conscience landed at Texas Friday with black student-athletes calling for an end to one of the school's deepest traditions - The Eyes of Texas. On the same day Clemson trustees took the name of a former slave owner off its honors college, black student-athletes across multiple sports at UT vowed not to participate in recruiting future prospects or donor events until an "official commitment" was made by the university to make several on-campus changes to be more inclusive, including scrapping The Eyes of Texas, the song played before and after Longhorns' sporting events, for its "racist undertones."

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte, who along with football coach Tom Herman have encouraged Texas student-athletes to speak out following the death of George Floyd in police custody and subsequent, nationwide protests, responded on social media by saying: “I am always willing to have meaningful conversations regarding any concerns our student-athletes have. We will do the same in this situation and look forward to having those discussions.”

In a letter of demands posted on social media, black student-athletes at Texas said they need to be excused from the post-game tradition of singing The Eyes, as it's referred to in Longhorns’ circles, and the song needs to be replaced by “a new song without racist undertones.” The Eyes of Texas, written in 1903, was first performed on campus in a minstrel show by white performers in blackface. The Eyes has been criticized in years' past for being based on the song "I've Been Workin On The Railroad" (originally known as the "Levee Song"), whose lyrics were written in 1894 for minstrel shows at Princeton mocking black laborers who constructed levees and railroads in the south. The original version of the Levee Song used the N-word more than once.

The list of requested changes were applauded by some black Texas former student-athletes on social media, including former Longhorns' defensive lineman Sam Acho, who posted on Twitter: "Young heroes!!! I am SO SOOO PROUD of you. I have never been more proud of the Student Athletes at this University. Now it’s time for the Board of Regents, President and Athletic Director to follow suit. These changes can easily be made. Do not hide behind “tradition”. Your move"

Acho, who led Texas in sacks in 2009 and 2010 and is now an executive committee member of the NFL Players Association, said: "Most black players hated singing that song. We were required to. We knew about the racial undertones but didn't know how to address them. This group finally had... bravo" Former Texas Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year - Charles Omenihu - posted: "I respect the current UT football players for making this stand that others in the past didn't do. Us alumni have known about the issues regarding racism on campus but didn't know how to tackle it, but this group of guys have came together with a proposal that make sense."

Some of the reaction on social media to removing The Eyes got ugly. Texas football player Jordan Whittington retweeted a post that said: "For the people who want to remove The Eyes of Texas can politely go hang themselves," to which Whittington added, "Thought y'all should see this ... smh."

Clemson's honors college, which had been the Calhoun Honors College since 1982, was renamed the Clemson University Honors College by trustees on Friday. Former Clemson players Deandre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson had been outspoken in extolling Clemson to change the name. Hopkins said it was the reason he announced his high school during introductions instead of Clemson.

After a three-hour, Texas team meeting almost two weeks ago, Herman said he supports his players using their voices on social media to speak out. Since then, junior receiver Brennan Eagles, the top returning pass-catcher for the Longhorns, announced on social media he won't play another snap at Texas because of the social injustice in the country. Junior defensive back Anthony Cook announced Thursday night on social media he wasn't going to play either, but later deleted the tweet.

On Thursday, Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger said in a Zoom press conference for everyone to open their hearts and minds when having tough conversations about social injustice and vowed to support his black teammates. “I told the guys I’m right by their side with whatever action they want to take,” Ehlinger said Thursday. “And so if they call me up at two in the morning, I’m there. Whatever that looks like, whatever action they want to take, I’m there.”

While numerous black student-athletes from different sports at Texas posted the list of requested on-campus changes on their social media, Ehlinger didn’t immediately respond to the posts. Tight end Jared Wiley, who is white, posted on Twitter: "I'm white. This is a movement for all athletes." Del Conte said he looks forward to "meaningful conversations regarding any concerns our student-athletes have." The question is if Longhorns Nation can have those same, meaningful conversations or will simply turn on itself?

34 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I've always thought that if you look at the lyrics from the perspective of a slave it takes on a more sinister tone.

Don't think you should be getting negged for this. It's very relevant to look at it from a slave's perspective since Robert E. Lee used to say "The eyes of the south are upon you", which is almost certainly the inspiration for "The Eyes of Texas are upon you." 

30 minutes ago, Nuge said:

In a - slightly - different context, reminds me of something a friend told me to do in college.  She said every time I read the fortune from a fortune cookie, at the end I should add " ... in bed."  Totally changed the perspective.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I think you have a very wrong read on this. The players are doing EXACTLY what Tom Herman told them to do. To use their voice and to not "just talk about it but be about it". There isn't a head coach in the country that has handled this better than Herman. I know,  It stuns me, as well. This is part of what Herman wants his guys to do.  I sent a message to @texifornia about this very early on, but this isn't a locker room in turmoil, it's 100% the opposite. It's not just the Texas players that his stance and his honesty on the subject are resonating with — it’s current players elsewhere, recruits, trainers, families. 

giphy.gif