Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

UCLA's 1998 season is an example of what can happen if things go wrong. Heading into the final game of the season against Miami with an undefeated record, a group of players decided to wear black armbands during the game to protest Proposition 209, which barred schools from basing enrollment standards on sex or ethnicity. The administration tried to talk them out of it, the players split into factions during practice, and it culminated in a loss to Miami that knocked them out of NC title contention followed by a loss to Wisky in the Rose Bowl. And the football program never recovered.

https://www.ocregister.com/2008/12/04/1998-uclas-sweet-season-that-went-sour/

We've already seen that the players are determined to effect real change, even willing to give up their careers (Eagles, maybe Cook as well). If they're unsatisfied with UT's response recruiting will crater, then the season with it, and it'll be a black mark on the program.

I am so shocked you only focused on the negative potential repercussions. I mean who could’ve seen this coming?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

UCLA's 1998 season is an example of what can happen if things go wrong. Heading into the final game of the season against Miami with an undefeated record, a group of players decided to wear black armbands during the game to protest Proposition 209, which barred schools from basing enrollment standards on sex or ethnicity. The administration tried to talk them out of it, the players split into factions during practice, and it culminated in a loss to Miami that knocked them out of NC title contention followed by a loss to Wisky in the Rose Bowl. And the football program never recovered.

https://www.ocregister.com/2008/12/04/1998-uclas-sweet-season-that-went-sour/

We've already seen that the players are determined to effect real change, even willing to give up their careers (Eagles, maybe Cook as well). If they're unsatisfied with UT's response recruiting will crater, then the season with it, and it'll be a black mark on the program.

When considering UT's response so far, you have to consider the counterfactual responses. Do nothing in response to the players requests or oppose them and there would be swift backlash from ESPN, former players, and society at large.

Herman's done well so far. The demands the players have listed are free (taking down monuments to traitors) or relative cheap (funding minority programs at higher levels; probably a good idea for the school anyway). They gave UT an out on the school song, players don't need to sing it.

Edited by quigley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

Erasing history isn't being contemplated, nor even possible.  Take the statues down, add to the history curriculum where the stories of  the Hoggs, Columbus, Littlefield, The Eyes, Amerigo, Washington, Jefferson, etc. are studied and discussed.  I've yet to make it to Germany, but I seriously doubt there are statues of members of the Nazi party standing anywhere.

No statues of Nazi’s in Germany but the concentration camps have been converted into museums. I’ve been to Auschwitz and Buchenwald. Both places are still extremely sad. It’s a way of remembering the past without glorifying it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

So if we hide them, it's ok for them to stay? that's what you're saying? We can leave honorifics to the Confederacy, and hence slavery, if they are hidden? Add a Barbara Jordan (there is one already) so that "they get theirs to" is that your angle? Is this a "heritage not hate" angle? If they are so unimportant why are you in a fucking tizzy about then being torn down and replaced by statues of and by PoC? 

There are real problems this country faces and not one of them going to get solved by tearing down statues or renaming buildings. It's like pissing into a hurricane, it's meaningless low hanging fruit. The focus should be on finding solutions that support the entire black community and not just a small percentage that have all of sudden become woke for social media points.

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

There are real problems this country faces and not one of them going to get solved by tearing down statues or renaming buildings. It's like pissing into a hurricane, it's meaningless low hanging fruit. The focus should be on finding solutions that support the entire black community and not just a small percentage that have all of sudden become woke for social media points.

gravity falls usa GIF

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

There are times where your posts are so myopically stupid that i say to myself “we’ve reached peak Htown dipshittery” but then here you go again raising the bar. Truly impressive.

I don't know, his "we need solutions that work for these young black men. But we shouldn't listen to these young black men, because they're only in it for woke social media points, which are definitely a real thing" argument is pretty persuasive.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

There are times where your posts are so myopically stupid that i say to myself “we’ve reached peak Htown dipshittery” but then here you go again raising the bar. Truly impressive.

Htown has gotta be the Surly version of Rocko, right? Just a complete imbecile in virtually every topic across the board? It’s really breathtaking. 

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

Of course it gives money to minority scholarships. The University also has a minority outreach program run by a long-time Austin inner-city principal. He is a good guy and does a good job and has received funds for minorities on the field at halftime of certain games.

Inner-City Austin? El-oh-fucking-el. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is what I meant by alums/sonars/folks assumed associated with UT fucking it all up for us.   

Are we sure that he is a doofus?  Perhaps a troll?

Not saying we don’t have our share (we do), but this is also an opportunity for haters to jump in.

5 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Go ahead and rename this thread to, “emerging teen activists that may or may not to want to play football”

We’re about to start getting all our targets. Unfortunately, they won’t be ranked according to their athletic ability. Fortunately, they will lead the way to a brighter future, and I think we all know that football likely won’t survive lawyers anyway.

Racism is disgusting and we should always work toward eradicating it from our world but I’m not sure getting rid of the Eyes accomplishes that to any degree.  Black athletes have every right to speak their mind to hopefully make our society better and less racist.  I can’t help but wonder though that many if not most actions requested are for other people to incur any level of sacrifice and the only way this problem can be fixed is everyone to pitch in on every level.  If these athletes are truly interested in change and want a better world then why aren’t they pledging their playing careers to all black universities?   That would make a significant statement but would also require some sacrifice on the athletes part.  Those schools facilities aren’t as nice, less money in their programs, etc.  I tend to look at things that have a true affect of outcome and not just measures that make people feel good in the moment but don’t fix the problem.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Racism is disgusting and we should always work toward eradicating it from our world but I’m not sure getting rid of the Eyes accomplishes that to any degree.  Black athletes have every right to speak their mind to hopefully make our society better and less racist.  I can’t help but wonder though that many if not most actions requested are for other people to incur any level of sacrifice and the only way this problem can be fixed is everyone to pitch in on every level.  If these athletes are truly interested in change and want a better world then why aren’t they pledging their playing careers to all black universities?   That would make a significant statement but would also require some sacrifice on the athletes part.  Those schools facilities aren’t as nice, less money in their programs, etc.  I tend to look at things that have a true affect of outcome and not just measures that make people feel good in the moment but don’t fix the problem.  

This is such a weird argument to try to make.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

This is such a weird argument to try to make.

It’s more of a question not an argument.  Not trying to argue anything really but just wondering why any athlete, no matter the race, would go to any particular university if they thought their fight song was racist against their particular race?   Why wouldn’t they pick a university that doesn’t have a “racist fight song” instead?

Because segregation is bad. 

because they might want to study under some of the greatest minds in the world in majors that aren’t available at other schools and certainly not with the faculty/labs/opportunity that is here and more to the point have the ability to gain the same advantages as their white classmates. 

Because UT is more than just a fight song, and of all the things the black community has had to make concessions about a fight song is low on the list and that these demands aren’t pointing out that UT is a horrible place but instead highlighting a few things that can and will be made better by increasing awareness and driving change, thereby distancing UT even further from other lesser institutions. 

• Like 6

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I will be committing tomorrow at 12pm🎥</p>&mdash; JD Coffey III (@JD_Coffey1) <a href="https://twitter.com/JD_Coffey1/status/1272181449412796417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

embed fail.  Coffee is announcing tomorrow at noon.

Edited by cafe society
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, cafe society said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I will be committing tomorrow at 12pm🎥</p>&mdash; JD Coffey III (@JD_Coffey1) <a href="https://twitter.com/JD_Coffey1/status/1272181449412796417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, golfclap said:

because they might want to study under some of the greatest minds in the world in majors that aren’t available at other schools and certainly not with the faculty/labs/opportunity that is here and more to the point have the ability to gain the same advantages as their white classmates. 

Because UT is more than just a fight song, and of all the things the black community has had to make concessions about a fight song is low on the list and that these demands aren’t pointing out that UT is a horrible place but instead highlighting a few things that can and will be made better by increasing awareness and driving change, thereby distancing UT even further from other lesser institutions. 

Holy shit segregation is bad?  No way.  Listen I’m not saying African American athletes should only go to black schools.  I’m saying athletes have a ton of influence and I see it as a way to help build those black universities in a significant way.  If we truly want to help improve black lives then I can think of few better places to start than helping to build and improve black universities.  If the best players went to those schools the teams would be great and in turn bring in money and increase admissions etc.  Why isn’t this being mentioned more as a true solution to help improve black lives?  Do we want real solutions or a symbolic show of support.  Of course Texas is a great university with a ton to offer but why would any athlete go to any school if they truly felt it promoted racism?    

Edited by stork642

I think it is with Mikey Williams and HBCU and I know that it’s an inordinate amount of pressure on that kid but he’s already created a lot of discussion and awareness. 

I do agree that there’s a lot of value in improving the clout and status of historically black colleges . 

10 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Holy shit segregation is bad?  No way.  Listen I’m not saying African American athletes should only go to black schools.  I’m saying athletes have a ton of influence and I see it as a way to help build those black universities in a significant way.  If we truly want to help improve black lives then I can think of few better places to start than helping to build and improve black universities.  If the best players went to those schools the teams would be great and in turn bring in money and increase admissions etc.  Why isn’t this being mentioned more as a true solution to help improve black lives?  Do we want real solutions or a symbolic show of support.  Of course Texas is a great university with a ton to offer but why would any athlete go to any school if they truly felt it promoted racism?    

I'm of  the feeling the list was more a jumping off point than anything. Some things will change, others compromised or better solutions will come about. CDC seems to be the master of "hey guys, I hear you and here's what we can do" rather than a "fuck that shit" type of person. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Coffey III (@JD_Coffey1) <a href="https://twitter.com/JD_Coffey1/status/1272181449412796417?

Username does not check out ... 

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, golfclap said:

Gtfo with this bullshit.

Tell you what - let’s look at the actual list again. Point out exactly the items that are destroying the foundations of our country. 

F463-A680-5-E18-4164-9-A0-E-52041-D2-C69

outside of The Eyes there is nothing here that is even a question mark. Nothing. 

If BLM is a political organization then I don’t think any money should be given to them. I still hope a compromise on keeping the Eyes will happen as well. 

FWIW — in the players request it says “black organizations and the BLM movement” it does not say BLM, the organization. It’s clear that a lot of people are hung up on that specificity but I think it’s really important to note that it’s the movement that is being called and I think it’s clear that the University can find a way to make that a reality outside of the BLM org. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Hope Coffey and Ibraheem coming on board gets Mukuba trending to the good (not racist) guys.

I’ve said it before but I will continue to say it, I think Mukuba is elite — I feel about him the same way I feel about Collins and Crawford — the only thing between them and starting in the NFL is the 3 years at UT and remaining injury free. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

FWIW — in the players request it says “black organizations and the BLM movement” it does not say BLM, the organization. It’s clear that a lot of people are hung up on that specificity but I think it’s really important to note that it’s the movement that is being called and I think it’s clear that the University can find a way to make that a reality outside of the BLM org. 

Great. As long as its not the political activist group then I don’t have a problem with it. 

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Because they might want to study under some of the greatest minds in the world in majors that aren’t available at other schools and certainly not with the faculty/labs/opportunity that is here and more to the point have the ability to gain the same advantages as their white classmates. 

Quoting because this needs to make it to the next page. All of this. Criticizing an institution like the University of Texas is not the same thing as saying it's a bad institution. It's just saying "Here's something we think can be better." 

You can't fix problems you don't admit are problems. You want examples? Take a trip down Highway 6 and visit a little farming school.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There’s nothing wrong with the lyrics.

Yeah, the problem is evidently the use of "I've been working on the railroad" as a minstrel bit. Very evocative of John Henry, when you think about it, so it's easy to see how some of the evocative power of the melody might be construed in a certain light.

That being said, there's an interesting bit in the Wiki page on the tune: 

The melody of the opening line of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" may have been inspired by the very similar melody at the beginning of the cello solo about one minute into Franz von Suppé's 1846 Poet and Peasant overture.[3]

Just for what it's worth (which on a recruiting thread is probably not much).

My fear is that people are going to pay too much attention to controversy over the song, and not enough about some of the more substantive complaints players are making. But, hey, that's true in every 'changing of the guard' moment in history, so have at it, young fellers.