Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

40 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I am kinda suprised there isnt something about Texas 1st black player somewhere. a plaque?  A statue?  Something. 

tenor-10.gif

A fair criticism. 

Let’s give some money to worthwhile causes, rename some buildings no one gaf about, put up a Whittier statue or monument and call it a day. And if the Eyes of Texas really offends you, I guess walk off the field instead of singing it with 100k fans. Jesus. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

A fair criticism. 

Let’s give some money to worthwhile causes, rename some buildings no one gaf about, put up a Whittier statue or monument and call it a day. And if the Eyes of Texas really offends you, I guess walk off the field instead of singing it with 100k fans. Jesus. 

I think one of the players' objections was that they were required to sing the Eyes...so no, they aren't able to just "walk off the field".

2 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

History is history. Don’t shy away from it because you’re a pussy, only the future matters. Let’s work towards creating a better future. Not fighting about the past. 

The players are trying to work towards creating a better future...

• Like 5

Steve Wiltfong: Texas tracking for a big Monday on the recruiting trail

Two of the Lone Star State's top defensive backs will announce their college decision Monday. Both are trending towards Tom Herman and the Texas Longhorns on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Dallas (Texas) Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem and Kennedale (Texas) High cornerback JD Coffey will announce their college decisions. Ibraheem dropped a Top10 in the April that included Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Baylor, TCU, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Auburn and Texas A&M. A visit to Austin in February hit the mark. Coffey posted a top six in early April as well with his finalists including the Longhorns, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, LSU and Baylor.

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound Ibraheem is the nation's No. 13 cornerback and No. 171 prospect overall per the 247Sports Composite. Coffey is the No. 7 safety and No. 173 prospect overall. If Herman and company can land both they'll rise from No. 17 to No. 9 in the 247Sports Composite National Team Rankings, maintaining the top class in the Big 12.

I think they will.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

Great. As long as its not the political activist group then I don’t have a problem with it. 

I would imagine that, in practice, it would probably be something like funding academic scholarships for black students, the African American Studies department, charitable organizations working in predominantly black communities, etc. with money from athletics revenue.

Our defensive recruiting looks pretty good but our recruiting on offense looks offensive. I wonder what our board looks like at running back, wide receiver, offensive line and TE. Honestly, the only position we have covered is QB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Our defensive recruiting looks pretty good but our recruiting on offense looks offensive. I wonder what our board looks like at running back, wide receiver, offensive line and TE. Honestly, the only position we have covered is QB.

TE might get back to being solved if Gunnar Helm likes UT as much as has been said. The others though...

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hey! Take this bullshit to the recruiting board. Oh, wait....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would imagine that, in practice, it would probably be something like funding academic scholarships for black students, the African American Studies department, charitable organizations working in predominantly black communities, etc. with money from athletics revenue.

Nope. I think if they wanted to divert funds from the athletic department back to a bunch of bullshit academic initiatives or standard community outreach organizations they would have said so. I think we should take them at their word and understand they want to divert money toward progressive activist organizations aligned with black lives matter. give these kids more credit. I don’t think they’re gonna be placated by a bunch of old establishment white dudes who want to do something less radical, less impactful, and less controversial.

4 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I think one of the players' objections was that they were required to sing the Eyes...so no, they aren't able to just "walk off the field".

Have you ever been to a Texas game? I've had season tickets since 1971 and individual players are NOT required to sing the Eyes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Nope. I think if they wanted to divert funds from the athletic department back to a bunch of bullshit academic initiatives or standard community outreach organizations they would have said so. I think we should take them at their word and understand they want to divert money toward progressive activist organizations aligned with black lives matter. give these kids more credit. I don’t think they’re gonna be placated by a bunch of old establishment white dudes who want to do something less radical, less impactful, and less controversial.

You're right - I didn't mean to imply that is what the student athletes were aiming for. I do expect for that to be the school/AD's counteroffer. Whether or not that'd be accepted, well, only the student athletes can answer that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Have you ever been to a Texas game? I've had season tickets since 1971 and individual players are NOT required to sing the Eyes.

Yeah it was just a big story when Juwan Mitchell ran off the field skipping the eyes because he jogs funny.

Edited by gmr548
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:05 PM, HtownHorn said:

And tell me where on campus these statues are because that's how much they are important to the campus as a whole. I could walk the entire fucking campus today and not know where one these statues are. Instead of tearing shit down, why not build a Barbara Jordan statue instead. There are a slew of minority alums that should be honored by the university.

as long as we use  folks who have actually made statues before and not these fucks, we should be ok

Spoiler

Colt_statue_WTF.jpg

On 6/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, HtownHorn said:

There are real problems this country faces and not one of them going to get solved by tearing down statues or renaming buildings. It's like pissing into a hurricane, it's meaningless low hanging fruit. The focus should be on finding solutions that support the entire black community and not just a small percentage that have all of sudden become woke for social media points.

recently unearthed photo of htown

morans.jpg?1258144241

• Like 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: How social changes could alter recruiting

The Longhorns are looking to receive some good news later today when four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey and four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem announce their decisions. The Longhorns have been working hard in these two recruitments to add both prospects to the 2021 class. Coffey and Ibraheem were identified as priority targets immediately and recruited as such.

For Coffey, Texas took a huge lead last summer under Craig Naivar. In fact, there was a point following the Stars at Night camp in late July where Coffey was on the verge of making a commitment. As time went on, he decided to explore his other options to make sure he was making the right decision. When Naivar was let go during the offseason, Chris Ash took some time to evaluate the safety targets available to him. After some touch-and-go communication, Ash increased the contact with Coffey and the two became close. Coffey was able to learn about the plan Texas had for him and Ash was able to get a sense of Coffey’s mind for the game.

Coffey visited Texas on one occasion during the spring, and he took a trip to the northwest part of the country right before the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown to see Washington and Oregon.  Coffey loved his time on both campuses, and there was a period of time where Texas sat third at best for him. The Longhorns were able to close that gap during the quarantine with constant communication.  LSU threatened at times with safety coach Bill Busch leading the charge, but nobody outworked Ash from talking with sources near Coffey.

I checked in with sources near the Kennedale safety this weekend to get an idea of where things are leaning heading into the decision. LSU and Oregon have both been making strong pushes near the end, but everything I’m hearing points towards Texas. The Longhorns have basically been there since the beginning for him and the work Chris Ash did in the last few months can’t be praised enough. Oregon is one to watch, but Coffey is close to his mother and I don’t see him going that far. If Texas isn’t the pick later today, I’d be very surprised.

Ishmael Ibraheem was offered by the previous staff at Texas and recruited like a priority. That didn’t change when Jay Valai arrived at Texas. Ibraheem grew up in a few different states and had no natural ties to Texas. Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma all looked like they’d have some staying power in the race for him at times, but like Ash, Valai refused to be outworked. I was told by a source close to Ibraheem that he’s never seen a coach pursue a prospect harder than Valai did from the moment he arrived in Austin.

In the last two months, things basically boiled down to a race between Texas and LSU. I checked in with sources near Ibraheem this weekend, and it sounds like Texas is in the driver’s seat at the moment. Texas is the ideal fit for Ibraheem’s long press-coverage ability and they’ve made that abundantly clear to him in the last few months. Valai’s work in this recruitment seems to have put the Longhorns over the top.

It should also be mentioned that both Coffey and Ibraheem are close friends. They both play on the same 7-on-7 team (Texas Flex 7v7) and spend a lot of time together. The two have discussed playing together at the next level, and it doesn’t seem like a coincidence that they are announcing on the same day. A source at Texas told me that Ibraheem was one of the top players on the board defensively, and a power-five coordinator from another school told me that they thought Ibraheem had one of the highest ceilings at cornerback in the country. Like Coffey, my pick has been on Texas for a while, and I’d be shocked if it went any other way.

If Texas lands both Coffey and Ibraheem it will push their 2021 class to 13 total commits which is ahead of schedule from where they were at this time last year. If you’re looking for positions to feel good about, I think Texas has a chance to makes some moves with defensive line targets Shemar Turner, Jonathan Jones and Ikechuwku Iwunnah. I think Texas is also in a strong position for linebacker target Terrence Cooks. If you’re looking for some areas of concern, wide receiver and offensive line recruiting have been up and down at this point. Running back recruiting could go either way depending on the decisions of top targets like LJ Johnson or Camar Wheaton.

+++

The past few weeks have seen social change come to the 40 Acres. As players look to spur change to old traditions, important conversations are happening. Austin has become the center of this portion of the movement, and everyone is watching. Recruits in particular are watching, and we spoke to a few of them to gauge their thoughts.

“I love it,” four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey said. “I love that they are taking a stand for black lives. I love everything that’s going on around it. I’ve seen coach Herman’s quotes about it too about respecting them on and off the field. I love everything going on with that right now.”

“I saw it, but I didn’t really know what was going on,” four-star Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem said. “I’m just now hearing about it. I’ve been wanting to know what’s going on. I’m all for it though. I’m all for change.”

“I feel like it’s great to see how we are not just football players,” 2022 four-star safety Chace Biddle said. “We are black men before that, so using the power they have to make change is great.”

“I think it’s going to be good because coach Herman is doing a very good thing,” 2022 four-star cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau said. “You can see he’s trying to build his football program much stronger.”

Texas head coach Tom Herman has been outspoken and helped to encourage his players in their protest. When asked about how recruits view Herman or any coach’s willingness to speak out, it’s clear that recruits are paying attention to how coaches react. “I feel like he really cares about his players,” Coffey said. “You always hear that it’s a brotherhood and a family. Some schools be lying, but hearing coach Herman take up for his players and all black lives it really means a lot.”

“I feel like it’s great to see how we are not just football players,” Biddle said. “We are black men before that, so using the power they have to make change is great.”

“It makes me feel phenomenal because he’s taking care of us,” Ibraheem said. “It shows that we are all the same.”

“It’s definitely important knowing that the people are basically fighting for me,” Biddle said. “It’s definitely important, and I can’t stress it enough how important it is to me. I think it will play a big part in recruitment. Some people are not talking to some colleges because of their reaction.”

• Like 5

Happy DB Day y'all

The sand cat (Felis margarita), also known as the sand dune cat, is a small wild cat living in sandy and stony deserts far from water sources.

Its way of moving is distinct: with its belly close to the ground, it moves at a fast run punctuated with occasional leaps. It is capable of sudden bursts of speed and can sprint at speeds of 30–40 km (19–25 mi) per hour. 

976uv0jizz431.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Hell, I would go as far as naming/renaming SEZ in honor of Whittier or another pioneer. Have a statue at field entrance for players. Start new tradition (salute,  touch, fist bump, wherever) they have to acknowledge it on the run out. Similar to a howards rock. 

Don't they rub the Horns for Freddie Steinmark as it stands? 

Bobby Burton: Monday

Like many of you, I read with interest the list of demands/terms that dozens of UT student athletes put out on Twitter late last week. But unlike some of you, I had actually read a strikingly similar list that was first put forward by the UT Student Senate earlier that day. As I read the student senate list first, only one item really took me by surprise. And that’s The Eyes of Texas. The student senate wrote that they want the “discontinuation” of the Eyes at university events.

At first, I couldn’t understand it. For me, The Eyes had always been a song of unity. Win or lose, Longhorns stand together at the end of games in unison. That unity and togetherness stands for something. We all know it’s harder to beat a team that stands as one than one that is divided. And to me “The Eyes of Texas are upon you” meant that we all had a duty to do our best, to be our best self as part of Longhorn nation. The song made a statement to me that few school fight songs even attempt to make.

But here’s the deal. Until last week, I never, ever thought of the song as having an inkling of racist intent, underpinnings or origin. Sure, it was played to the tune of I’ve Been Working on the Railroad, but even the lyrics to that song, I’ve sang them before and I always considered it an expression of a working man’s song to me, not some sort of affront or disrespect to people of color. My dad taught that song to me just like he taught me The Eyes.

Yet, there was the information on the web about the origin of the song that was clear as day. Both the song and the tune had - at the very least - some racist underpinnings in its origin. Frankly, I was shocked. I feel like I know quite a bit about our university but I seriously had never considered the Eyes as racist or even uncomfortable to a segment of the Longhorn nation.

One could even argue that while there were racist origins of the song that it’s hard to find any song or really any long-running institution in America that doesn’t have some mark of slavery or oppression attached to it, and therefore that we should all be ok with the song since it’s not sung that way now.

Like I said, I always felt like the song was sung as one of unity and that was the feeling it evoked in me. Yet, now it’s clear it doesn’t stand for unity anymore. It is no longer a song of solidarity, not if a significant number of students in the general population and student athletes alike, as well as many alums, don’t feel the same way or feel disenfranchised by it. I can’t change that. You can’t change that.

No matter your take on the topic, you can’t change how those students and student athletes feel. And I don’t want to sing a song that disenfranchises others. The university is about inclusion, unity, duty and truth. So as you think about this topic yourself, all I’d ask is if you want to sing a song that doesn’t feel inclusive to all UT students, alumni and fans?

I don’t know what the Board of Regents will ultimately decide. I texted with a board member this weekend. I will say I suspect that The Eyes request from the student senate is perhaps the one element that caught some of them more off guard than other requests. Perhaps there’s a compromise in there of some sort. Perhaps there’s not. I just want whatever song is sang at UT events to be one of unity.

35 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

What a great job Valai has done with Ibraheem.  He was a kid trending away from Texas late last year and very early this year.  Today he will be committing to us.  Best CB in the state.

Yep. We spend a lot of time talking about fuckups on this thread, but Ibraheem is a clear win. One where we actually turned the tide in our favor.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Happy DB Day y'all

The sand cat (Felis margarita), also known as the sand dune cat, is a small wild cat living in sandy and stony deserts far from water sources.

Its way of moving is distinct: with its belly close to the ground, it moves at a fast run punctuated with occasional leaps. It is capable of sudden bursts of speed and can sprint at speeds of 30–40 km (19–25 mi) per hour.

That ain't shit. My cats run around the house at upwards of 70 mph every fucking night while I'm trying to go to sleep.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

What a great job Valai has done with Ibraheem.  He was a kid trending away from Texas late last year and very early this year.  Today he will be committing to us.  Best CB in the state.

I'm not going to go find it, but I remember Looch back around February was confident in Ibraheem going to aggy.  I hope we can get some spin from Texags later.

• Like 1

This was back in January, they weren't happy about Ish not making it in.  He was also on the list Perroni too early prediction for the aggys 21 class.

image.png.70e21336e80494ab4d86509d6dee4425.png

Ryan B in feb- - If you're asking me who could be the next guy to join the 2021 class, I'd still keep an eye on a trio from the Metroplex: jumbo Grandview ATH Dametrious Crownover, Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon, and Dallas Kimball CB Ishmael Ibraheem. From what Jason and I know, the Aggies are still in good standing with all three. 

Howell- -I still like the Aggies' chances with guys like Reuben FathereeBryce FosterShemar TurnerLandon JacksonMarcus BurrisJordon Thomas, and Ishmael Ibraheem. I'm not ready to put them all on commit watch, but these are all guys I believe the Aggies will get on campus again soon, and will be squarely in the mix for when it comes to decision making time.

During this time @Burt Macklin posted about Ibraheem being this cycle's bought player out of nowhere for the aggys.

Seemed by the end of March there was no more Ibraheem talk in next up/class predictions

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

This was back in January, they weren't happy about Ish not making it in.  He was also on the list Perroni too early prediction for the aggys 21 class.

image.png.70e21336e80494ab4d86509d6dee4425.png

Ryan B in feb- - If you're asking me who could be the next guy to join the 2021 class, I'd still keep an eye on a trio from the Metroplex: jumbo Grandview ATH Dametrious Crownover, Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon, and Dallas Kimball CB Ishmael Ibraheem. From what Jason and I know, the Aggies are still in good standing with all three. 

Howell- -I still like the Aggies' chances with guys like Reuben FathereeBryce FosterShemar TurnerLandon JacksonMarcus BurrisJordon Thomas, and Ishmael Ibraheem. I'm not ready to put them all on commit watch, but these are all guys I believe the Aggies will get on campus again soon, and will be squarely in the mix for when it comes to decision making time.

During this time @Burt Macklin posted about Ibraheem being this cycle's bought player out of nowhere for the aggys.

Seemed by the end of March there was no more Ibraheem talk in next up/class predictions

Ibraheem was definitely being penciled in as an Aggie class member earlier this year. Burt was just saying he had the same sorta feel to him as Dylan Wright or Demani Richardson. I don't think he was suggesting he was on the take at that time, but Burt is more than capable of speaking for himself. But many here including myself were writing off Ibraheem at the begging of the year. There's no argument  Valai has done a great job on the trail. I still want to see how well he coaches. If he can coach, we've got ourselves a live one. 

• Like 5