Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Jeez, this kid is already college ready.  I've been saying it from Day 1, he's a better version of D'Shawn Jamison... and I'm a huge Jamison fan!  I expect him to compete at nickel, corner, punt/kick off return, and also provide depth at WR if needed.  24/7 is slowly bumping his rating to 5 star status so they don't look like idiots for his initial lower ranking.  His tape is unreal at so many positions in a competitive district.  

Bowman's lowest ranking is from ESPN at #76 in the nation/#10 in the state.  Rivals and 247 have him in the 30's nationally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

247 bumps have begun. Alexis up to an 89, composite still in the .88s

JJ Henry bumped to an 87.  

Henry and Alexis are 4*'s on ESPN and looking at the history if updates it hasn't been factored in for both.  Same with Cooks.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They've played Texas teams before, and HS coaches didn't like it. I'm sure he wants to continue to be a shitface and beat a Texas team now to validate his decision and earn some kind of bragging rights, because he's a self-involved fuckface. Maybe his parents would like to see their son play a game his senior year. Fuck if I know, the only thing I can say with certainty is he's a piece of shit. 

Texas coaches probably don't like IMG poaching their players and then wanting to play them to validate their Allstar program.  

If the kid already committed to tOSU, why does he need IMG?   

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

I will be the first to admit when I am wrong. I was totally off on Tunmise.  I went by the information he was giving my son.  His ego is completely out of control.  He has a group of “influencers” that are telling him he’s the 2nd coming of Chase Young.  I don’t see it.  I think he will be a good player but I don’t see a 10 year NFL starter.  He’s turned his back on all his friends in Texas and bought in to the hype he was sold on.  Watch his tweets.....he doesn’t retweet anything about Jalen or his core group of friends in Katy.  It’s all about him.  It’s sad that he went this route.  I actually feel sorry for him that he couldn’t figure it out.  I just hope we get to play against him in the playoffs and we stomp their ass so he can walk off the field with an L from his friends and the state he shit on.  

I admit I was wrong. 

samuel l jackson shit negro thats all you had to say GIF

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

He has a group of “influencers” that are telling him he’s the 2nd coming of Chase Young.  I don’t see it.  I think he will be a good player but I don’t see a 10 year NFL starter.

After his workouts in Houston with the aggy and Sooner DL guys and then the embarrassing showing he had at the OL/DL matchup in Houston what he should be worried about is Ohio State ghosting his ass and recruiting over him. Dude lost 30 pounds at the bequest of his idiot handlers, and didn't pick up any speed or quickness. He got worked the fuck over by Hayden Conner and Kelvin Banks to the point that he avoided doing any more reps with them and was least effective of any DL prospect at the camp. At 265 with a decent frame - he should be a guy willing to play outside and then inside on passing downs. He is unwilling and being told that he is a "rush end/OLB combo" and got down to a VERY slow footed 235-- just look at these clips and tell me you see anything that resembles sudden from Ole Tunimese. I'd guess that his recent shit talking on twitter was in answer to guys getting to work with him again and talking A LOT of shit to him because he's an asshole. I could 100% see him dropped by tOSU and ending up in the aggy class. the classic high rated 4* fading his SR year take by aggy. 

He's the navy blue shirt in these clips. He's the slowest footed of any of them and that includes several 3* spares that weigh 100 pounds more than he does  :: 

and the only time he competed on camera in this clip he gets stoned by Hayden Connor - this was after several losses to both Banks and Connor. At this point he basically quit competing. 

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/1bc4fd65-0516-4510-acb9-6889c3cb5c22

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We’ve got a bunch of guys on our board who are better than Ezra. 

then we need to start recruiting them. I don't want to be desperately wanting on signing day.

Edited by Viper

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

After his workouts in Houston with the aggy and Sooner DL guys and then the embarrassing showing he had at the OL/DL matchup in Houston what he should be worried about is Ohio State ghosting his ass and recruiting over him. Dude lost 30 pounds at the bequest of his idiot handlers, and didn't pick up any speed or quickness. He got worked the fuck over by Hayden Conner and Kelvin Banks to the point that he avoided doing any more reps with them and was least effective of any DL prospect at the camp. At 265 with a decent frame - he should be a guy willing to play outside and then inside on passing downs. He is unwilling and being told that he is a "rush end/OLB combo" and got down to a VERY slow footed 235-- just look at these clips and tell me you see anything that resembles sudden from Ole Tunimese. I'd guess that his recent shit talking on twitter was in answer to guys getting to work with him again and talking A LOT of shit to him because he's an asshole. I could 100% see him dropped by tOSU and ending up in the aggy class. the classic high rated 4* fading his SR year take by aggy. 

He's the navy blue shirt in these clips. He's the slowest footed of any of them and that includes several 3* spares that weigh 100 pounds more than he does  :: 

and the only time he competed on camera in this clip he gets stoned by Hayden Connor - this was after several losses to both Banks and Connor. At this point he basically quit competing. 

Hayden Conner looks real good in those clips.  Puzzling why 247 keeps dropping him.

• Like 3

I always thought Tunmise was slow footed and stiff. He got absolutely worked in Houston. He never dominated at Katy. He was good but never a dominant player.  I agree that OSU could drop him and he winds up in College Station. His ego is writing checks that he can’t cash. 

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hayden Conner looks real good in those clips.  Puzzling why 247 keeps dropping him.

Came here to say this, also. I think he falls into the category of boring , steady commits that 247 ignores until senior tape. They shuffle these guys around the dramatic click drivers.

• Like 1

6) Donovan Jackson (+5)
12) Tommy Brockermeyer (-2)
17) Ja'Tavion Sanders (-1)
33) LJ Johnson (-4)
36) Billy Bowman (+1)
46) Camar Wheaton (-4)
51) Cody Jackson (+1)
55) Clayton Smith (+2)
62) Kaidon Salter (+28)
68) Shemar Turner (-1)
73) JoJo Earle (-1)
74) Landon Jackson (-1)
77) Savion Byrd (-41)
82) Tunmise Adeleye (-2)
93) Dematrius Davis (+5)
100) Eli Stowers (+17)
102) Jalen Milroe (-5)
104) Behren Morton (+87)
108) Reuben Fatheree (+4)
109) Bryce Foster (+4)
124) Elijah Arroyo (+247)
130) Marcus Burris (+2)
136) Tate Williams (+86)
142) Preston Stone (-35)
156) Ketron Jackson
166) Jordon Thomas (+1)
169) Jordan Jenkins
171) Latrell McCutchin (+1)
174) Quay Davis (+4)
176) Shadrach Banks (-47)
179) J.Michael Sturdivant (-84)
195) Sawyer Robertson (-32)
205) Kedrick Blackshire
207) Garrett Nussmeier
209) Andrew Mukuba (-1)
215) Albert Regis (-2)
222) Tavierre Dunlap (+84)
230) Morice Blackwell (-1)
238) Deuce Harmon (-1)
241) Ismael Ibraheem (-1)
242) Ezra Oyetade (+447)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

After his workouts in Houston with the aggy and Sooner DL guys and then the embarrassing showing he had at the OL/DL matchup in Houston what he should be worried about is Ohio State ghosting his ass and recruiting over him. Dude lost 30 pounds at the bequest of his idiot handlers, and didn't pick up any speed or quickness. He got worked the fuck over by Hayden Conner and Kelvin Banks to the point that he avoided doing any more reps with them and was least effective of any DL prospect at the camp. At 265 with a decent frame - he should be a guy willing to play outside and then inside on passing downs. He is unwilling and being told that he is a "rush end/OLB combo" and got down to a VERY slow footed 235-- just look at these clips and tell me you see anything that resembles sudden from Ole Tunimese. I'd guess that his recent shit talking on twitter was in answer to guys getting to work with him again and talking A LOT of shit to him because he's an asshole. I could 100% see him dropped by tOSU and ending up in the aggy class. the classic high

Tunmise is a pompous fucking idiot.

24 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He gets wrecked by Banks about as bad as I've ever seen anyone get beat in this kind of drill at 1:50.

Have we had any contact with Banks? He got beat a few times and has no idea how to use his hands, but he also had good reps in there against Derrick Harris, Jordon Thomas, and Feetweighatunmise.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

He gets wrecked by Banks about as bad as I've ever seen anyone get beat in this kind of drill at 1:50.

Have we had any contact with Banks? He got beat a few times and has no idea how to use his hands, but he also had good reps in there against Derrick Harris, Jordon Thomas, and Feetweighatunmise.

Hand retweeted his offer the day all of the Gundy stuff blew up. I would assume that they're working on him, although that would be new activity. He's technically still committed to okie lite, but his 247 profile shows him as a "soft" commit which is the first time I've seen that. 

If we have a good season, the 2022 oline options will make up for every miss this cycle, except Tommy. But even then, it's a salty tackle class with Banks, PJ Williams, and Early

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

6) Donovan Jackson (+5)
12) Tommy Brockermeyer (-2)
17) Ja'Tavion Sanders (-1)
33) LJ Johnson (-4)
36) Billy Bowman (+1)
46) Camar Wheaton (-4)
51) Cody Jackson (+1)
55) Clayton Smith (+2)
62) Kaidon Salter (+28)
68) Shemar Turner (-1)
73) JoJo Earle (-1)
74) Landon Jackson (-1)
77) Savion Byrd (-41)
82) Tunmise Adeleye (-2)
93) Dematrius Davis (+5)
100) Eli Stowers (+17)
102) Jalen Milroe (-5)
104) Behren Morton (+87)
108) Reuben Fatheree (+4)
109) Bryce Foster (+4)
124) Elijah Arroyo (+247)
130) Marcus Burris (+2)
136) Tate Williams (+86)
142) Preston Stone (-35)
156) Ketron Jackson
166) Jordon Thomas (+1)
169) Jordan Jenkins
171) Latrell McCutchin (+1)
174) Quay Davis (+4)
176) Shadrach Banks (-47)
179) J.Michael Sturdivant (-84)
195) Sawyer Robertson (-32)
205) Kedrick Blackshire
207) Garrett Nussmeier
209) Andrew Mukuba (-1)
215) Albert Regis (-2)
222) Tavierre Dunlap (+84)
230) Morice Blackwell (-1)
238) Deuce Harmon (-1)
241) Ismael Ibraheem (-1)
242) Ezra Oyetade (+447)

Stowers over Milroe...GTFO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hand retweeted his offer the day all of the Gundy stuff blew up. I would assume that they're working on him, although that would be new activity. He's technically still committed to okie lite, but his 247 profile shows him as a "soft" commit which is the first time I've seen that. 

If we have a good season, the 2022 oline options will make up for every miss this cycle, except Tommy. But even then, it's a salty tackle class with Banks, PJ Williams, and Early

Ah, I didn't even realize that he's a '22 guy. Makes sense now why the name didn't sound that familiar.

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Don't want to derail a bunch into 22' recruiting, but do you see Dewberry as a Guard?  That'll be an interesting recruitment.  Aggy school, picked to aggy already by Perroni, but IT is bullish on him and he could see Cosmi go in the 1st round next spring.

12 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Anybody got this? Kid is an intriguing prospect with a nice frame to work with.

I just don't see it with Abiara at all. I keep trying to get people to sell me on him but so far it's crickets. I think Jonathon Jones looks MILES better on HUDL and better as a long term prospect. Garfield Lawrence also looks like he has a ton more upside.  

From my previous post on Abiara ::

I hadn't really paid much attention to him but someone sell me on any interest, other than forcing more work for the Sooner staff, in David Abiara. I watched his HUDLs and expected to see this year's version of NaNa Osafoh-Mensah - instead I see a VERY raw SDE who is the very last guy out of his stance on every single snap. He stands straight up and uses his athleticism to simply chase the play. There's nothing wrong with that as he clearly has his best football ahead of him but he also doesn't possess the innate pass rushing ability that you see in a lot of guys and no tremendous upfield burst. There's not much in the way of development or improvement year-over-year to his JR vids. He looks like a SDE project and he looks well behind Jonathon Jones, despite their respective rankings. Jones looks so much faster and more violent in his clips and has more room to grow into his lower half and put on good weight. I know that Abiara is a really good student and he can clearly play and will improve a ton with some minimal technique but I just don't know, it feels like his ceiling is pretty low.

and referring to the Garfield Lawrence interest ::

I like Jonathon Jones HUDL more than this guy, but both of them look better than David Abiara to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, to me Jones looks like a take and I don't really need to see his senior development. I could see wanting to see Lawrence and his development for sure. Having said that he does a really nice job of maintaining gap integrity while reading RPOs and then actually reacting to his read and making a play. Some of that is coachable and some of that is intrinsic. He doesn't have a ton of technique, he's long and lean so he clearly has a lot of physical and technical upside

here's the 247 update ::

I was going to write this for Mike at Night, but I decided to drop it early.

—I stopped by Mansfield Legacy today to see Notre Dame commit David Abiara. I hadn’t been able to reach him since he was offered by Texas last month and wanted to get eyes on him. Abiara is listed at 6-foot-4, 248 pounds, and I’d estimate the height is right. From eyeballing him, it looks like he’s somewhere between 230 and 240 pounds.

—Abiara is currently committed to Notre Dame, but it feels like that commitment is up in the air at this point. Abiara told me that he definitely plans to take some visits during the fall, and Oklahoma will be a big factor outside of Notre Dame.  In fact, it sounds like Oklahoma has some real momentum in this race right now and is pushing for a flip.  From talking to Abiara and those near him, I’d say that could happen at some point this summer.

—Where does Texas stand in all of this? Abiara made it clear that he felt the offer came relatively late, but I was told that Texas will get some consideration. Right now, Abiara is building a relationship with Chris Ash and Oscar Giles. While he’s still a bit unsure about the Longhorns, he did mention that education is a priority for him and that will give Texas a shot. Abiara wants to major in business, and he knows Texas has a great business school. That education with the proximity to home could allow Texas to become a dark horse in this race.

—Texas still has a lot to do in this race, but I don’t get the feeling that they are out of it by any means. They are probably in third at best right now, but they should continue pressing and hope to get him on campus with the power of McCombs Business School as a potential x-factor in this race.

I would be fine with this guy flipping to OU.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't want to derail a bunch into 22' recruiting, but do you see Dewberry as a Guard?  That'll be an interesting recruitment.  Aggy school, picked to aggy already by Perroni, but IT is bullish on him and he could see Cosmi go in the 1st round next spring.

I'm not an OL grader, but parroting others, Dewberry is a guard. So is Campbell who is the superior prospect and more likely to end up at Texas. 

247 / Steve Wiltfong / Predictions for the 10 best uncommitted offensive prospects

Spoiler

Predictions for the 10 best uncommitted offensive prospects
BySTEVE WILTFONG

The updated Top247 on Wednesday was highlighted by changes to prospects on the offensive side of the ball. With that, our monthly look at the top 10 uncommitted prospects and where we think they're headed has a twist this time around, as we'll only focus on offensive prospects. Let's get started with one last look at five-star quarterback Caleb Williams before he makes his July 4th commitment ... 

NO. 7: CALEB WILLIAMS, QB, WASHINGTON D.C. GONZAGA

Prediction: Oklahoma

Skinny: The No. 1 quarterback will announce his college decision July 4 and we’re expecting fireworks for the Big 12 power. The other two finalists are Maryland and LSU. Williams' last visit before the mandated NCAA dead period because of Covid-19 was to Norman and the Sooners have had the momentum since early spring. Mike Locklsey and the Terrapins are trying to change that down the stretch.

NO. 8: EMEKA EGBUKA, WR, STEILACOOM (WASH.) HIGH
Emeka Egbuka
Prediction: Ohio State

Skinny: Led by reigning 247Sports National Recruiter of the Year Brian Hartline’s efforts, the Buckeyes have spent much of the process seen as the team to beat for Emeka Egbuka. The biggest challenger has changed from Clemson, to Washington, and now to Oklahoma. Egbuka would ultimately like to take some visits before deciding, particularly to Norman, but at this point all programs would have to make a move on OSU to land the No. 1 receiver in the Top247.

12: TOMMY BROCKERMEYER, OT, FORT WORTH (TEXAS) ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL

Prediction: Alabama

Skinny: I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of the Crimson Tide back in February and this is currently the best I’ve felt about that prediction. Tommy Brockermeyer's relationship with Kyle Flood and long-term player development at the position under Nick Saban have made Tuscaloosa the most attractive destination among a group of finalists that also includes Auburn, LSU and Texas.

13: AMARIUS MIMS, OT, COCHRAN (GA.) BLECKLEY COUNTY
Amarius Mims
(Photo: Christopher Nee, 247Sports)
Prediction: Georgia

Skinny: Every 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast is in favor of the Bulldogs, including mine, but Alabama is a major player in the recruitment of Amarius Mims, who put out a top 10 in April. Mims told me in the past he actually grew up a fan of the Crimson Tide, but Matt Luke, Kirby Smart and company are doing everything they can to keep the No. 3 offensive tackle in the country in-state.

14: TRISTAN LEIGH, OT, FAIRFAX (VA.) ROBINSON

(Photo: Steve Wiltfong, 247Sports)
Prediction: LSU

Skinny: This recruitment is incredibly tight with the likes of Alabama, Clemson, Florida, LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma all in the thick of it for Tristan Leigh, the nation’s No. 4 offensive tackle. Ed Orgeron and the Tigers looked like the clear team to beat in the fall but a visit to Clemson in January really evened things up. Over the last few months the other teams mentioned have also made an impression. I give the slightest of advantages to LSU and we’ll see what happens moving forward as Leigh plans to take his officials once the dead period is lifted.

16: NOLAN RUCCI, OT, LITITZ (PA.) WARWICK

(Photo: Hudl)
Prediction: Wisconsin

Skinny: The recruitment of Nolan Rucci is another one where several programs are still in the mix — from the Badgers to Penn State, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame and Stanford, among others. I continue to hear the Badgers are the one to beat, from Nolan's relationship to the staff to the players on the team including his brother Hayden, who is a tight end in Madison. The decision timeline points to Rucci doing something before the start of his senior season.

25: DONOVAN EDWARDS, RB, WEST BLOOMFIELD (MICH.) HIGH

(Photo: Allen Trieu, 247Sports)
Prediction: Michigan

Skinny: Over the last three or four months Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines have turned it up a notch in Donovan Edwards' recruitment and it seems to have paid off.  The competition to keep Edwards home remains stiff as the likes of Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State and Notre Dame among many others continue to have dialogue with Edwards. If Michigan can land the state's No. 1 player, it'd be a big boon for Harbaugh. 

33: LJ JOHNSON, RB, CYPRESS (TEXAS) CY-FAIR

(Photo: @LJ_Johnson_Jr)
Prediction: Texas A&M

Skinny: Look for the No. 3 running back in the Top247 to drop a top eight in the near future. At this point in the process I like the Aggies for LJ Johnson, but Georgia is still a program he really wants to see in person. Auburn and Texas have picked things up as well. The Tigers landing quarterback Lone Star State QB Dematrius Davis has helped the Tigers. A decision is not expected anytime soon.

38: THOMAS FIDONE, TE, COUNCIL BLUFFS (IOWA) LEWIS CENTRAL

(Photo: Mike Schaefer, 247Sports)
Prediction: Nebraska

Skinny: The local Huskers have been in great position since offering during a visit in September and continue to do a good job recruiting Thomas Fidone. But so does LSU; Fidone is patiently waiting out the dead period so he can get out on the road and see Baton Rouge. I like where those two programs and Michigan stand at this point. Alabama, Iowa and Notre Dame are three more still in the mix.

46: CAMAR WHEATON, RB, GARLAND (TEXAS) LAKEVIEW CENTENNIAL

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Prediction: None

Skinny: A source close to the speedy back says Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas all remain in good position and nearby SMU is also in the equation for Wheaton. Wheaton has camped in Tuscaloosa, visited Baton Rouge in early February and saw the Sooners and Longhorns in March, and he also made his way over to SMU. This one doesn’t look like it will be over any time soon with Wheaton also looking to get back on the road.

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

13: AMARIUS MIMS, OT, COCHRAN (GA.) BLECKLEY COUNTY
Amarius Mims
(Photo: Christopher Nee, 247Sports)
Prediction: Georgia

Skinny: Every 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast is in favor of the Bulldogs, including mine, but Alabama is a major player in the recruitment of Amarius Mims, who put out a top 10 in April. Mims told me in the past he actually grew up a fan of the Crimson Tide, but Matt Luke, Kirby Smart and company are doing everything they can to keep the No. 3 offensive tackle in the country in-state.

If bama can pull off Tommy, Mims, and Latham, that would be the best tackle class I have ever seen. That's 3 of the top 5 composite and a sweep of 1-3 in the 247 only rankings. 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

We probably will after the Wheaton/LJ misses

Nahlin still thinks we land one of them, and that LJ (swamp aggy legacy) has LSU running 3rd behind aggy and Texas. Wheaton is probably more realistic, but it's not really worth projecting anything there because any info is either wishcasting or contrived

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Still puzzling to see 247 so high on Salter from Cedar Hill. He continues to rise based off what exactly?

Likely the same reasons they've downgraded Conner who is looking better than ever as an OL take. His floor is good enough to start her in 4 years as a RS SO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin still thinks we land one of them, and that LJ (swamp aggy legacy) has LSU running 3rd behind aggy and Texas. Wheaton is probably more realistic, but it's not really worth projecting anything there because any info is either wishcasting or contrived

They like to play numbers games with their predictions though. Having a 50/50 shot at each does not guarantee we get one. And I don't even think I would put us at 50/50 for either at this point.  They may be right about LJ and that would be good because a better than expected season with Ingram showing well could put us over the top.

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

They like to play numbers games with their predictions though. Having a 50/50 shot at each does not guarantee we get one. And I don't even think I would put us at 50/50 for either at this point.  They may be right about LJ and that would be good because a better than expected season with Ingram showing well could put us over the top.

The consensus today is that Johnson is aggys to lose and Wheaton will end up at Texas or blOU. "Outside shots" rarely pan out, so I'm not giving SMU a chance there. Because no one knows with Wheaton, it would be fair to say 50/50, but there's no way of knowing. 

Nahlin said today:

There’s some talk they could just take one RB. I’m not buying it, especially since Brooks is more RB2.

The instate crop isn’t good beyond the first two.

They’re still more likely than not to add one of Johnson or Wheaton, imo.

I, er..., do buy it. I don't think they're going to have a good shot at pulling in an RB1 caliber back other than Johnson/Wheaton at this stage of the game. Maybe Henderson hates Columbus when he finally visits and the door is opened, but outside of Henderson, it doesn't appear that we're recruiting anyone. Only Donovan Edwards, Wheaton and Johnson remain uncommitted from our 2021 offers. Edwards was an offer to try to get a visit. Clemson took Mafah and Shipley, and maybe we're still after Mafah but he's their RB2 take and would be redundant to Brooks for us. If we're only recruiting Johnson, Wheaton, and Henderson, I think they're okay with only taking Brooks if we whiff on all three. And that's the right play, imo. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

us. If we're only recruiting Johnson, Wheaton, and Henderson, I think they're okay with only taking Brooks if we whiff on all three.

Malpractice. 

There are plenty of other good RB across the country who are better than Brooks. Offer and recruit them. Settling for Brooks as the only RB take would be a horrible decision, especially when we’ve only taken 1 RB (who will actually contribute) per class for 3 straight years. 

• Like 2