Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

9 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

I just watched the Junior season tapes of Andrew Mukuba and Devin Lemear back to back. I think Lemear might actually be the better safety prospect. He reads and reacts to the play faster than Mukuba, and has a great feel for the game in general. Look how many PBUs he had in a single season, pretty impressive. He reminds me a bit of Chris Brown.  I'm not sure that Mukuba is a better safety prospect than receiver prospect. He looks a lot like Kelvontay Dixon as a WR. I  would be plenty happy if we received both of their commitments and just treated Mukuba as an Athlete recruit. 

I think they're different stylistically, and Mukuba's strengths (coverage ability and range) are rarer and more valuable than Lemear's (sure tackling and reading plays). Mukuba is more similar to Adimora while Lemear is more similar to, as you pointed out, Chris Brown. Imo. 

• Like 1

I just watched the Junior season tapes of Andrew Mukuba and Devin Lemear back to back. I think Lemear might actually be the better safety prospect. He reads and reacts to the play faster than Mukuba, and has a great feel for the game in general. Look how many PBUs he had in a single season, pretty impressive. He reminds me a bit of Chris Brown.  I'm not sure that Mukuba is a better safety prospect than receiver prospect. He looks a lot like Kelvontay Dixon as a WR. I  would be plenty happy if we received both of their commitments and just treated Mukuba as an Athlete recruit. 

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd72bf311e6f5f42e419b311dd1781bef8c8652f1fe&rid=giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think they're different stylistically, and Mukuba's strengths (coverage ability and range) are rarer and more valuable than Lemear's (sure tackling and reading plays). Mukuba is more similar to Adimora while Lemear is more similar to, as you pointed out, Chris Brown. Imo. 

Lemear had way more PBUs than Mukuba though. Seems like Lemear is better at coverage ability to me. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Assuming Eagles plays, our starting WR’s are going to look really strong this year. Jake Smith is in line to have a Duvernay type year and from all appearances the WR group will look strong. It’s the 2-3 years down the road I’m worried about with the state of recruiting recently. Maybe that can be remedied with strong production on the field this year now that Fuck Face no longer coaches them. 

Even without Eagles, I feel good with Black, Moore, Washington, Smith, and Whittington. If it's true that the WRs are moving to a more position less responsibilities, you have to like those 5 to put up a lot of production.

1 minute ago, Bolero88 said:

Lemear had way more PBUs than Mukuba though. Seems like Lemear is better at coverage ability to me. 

You won't find a person more on board with taking both Mukuba and Lemear than me. I will say that HS stats (esp pancakes/PBUs/hurries/TFLs) are very tough to compare and often questionable. Also, your WR has to be targeted to make the PBU. etc ...   they are both outstanding players - the deal with Mukuba -- and I'll echo @Fud a bit and take it a step further - you remember the Michael Griffin INT in the Rose Bowl vs. USC? That's a play that only a very few very elite S could dream of making. Mukuba is capable of that, imho. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Satya's been plenty gloomy over on in Football today, he's trying to hold both boards' Sadboi Champ belts.

Satya's been plenty gloomy over on in Football everyday, he's trying to hold both boards' Sadboi Champ belts. FIFY

36 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

I'm looking at it more from the lens of projecting his future coverage ability due to physical traits/athleticism than how good he currently is. I think Mukuba can potentially do well manning up on slots, while it's difficult to see Lemear doing that at a high level. Also, I think Mukuba potentially has more range as a centerfielder than Lemear. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You won't find a person more on board with taking both Mukuba and Lemear than me. I will say that HS stats (esp pancakes/PBUs/hurries/TFLs) are very tough to compare and often questionable. Also, your WR has to be targeted to make the PBU. etc ...   they are both outstanding players - the deal with Mukuba -- and I'll echo @Fud a bit and take it a step further - you remember the Michael Griffin INT in the Rose Bowl vs. USC? That's a play that only a very few very elite S could dream of making. Mukuba is capable of that, imho. 

I hear ya. I'm not 100% sure I agree with the idea of Mukuba being an elite Safety, but we are close enough in agreement on their abilities. Time will tell, and I'm glad someone else here thinks we should recruit both.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'm thinking just removing the cancer that was Meh will go a long ways towards team morale. Or at the very least, the WRs will get coached on how to beat getting jammed off the line.

Yep.  I expect morale to be high, team chemistry to be a humming machine, coaching much improved.  My worry is the lack of physical implementation.  If that doesn't prove to be a big impediment,  I expect us to go all Barnacle Bill on the waterfront whorehouse this season.

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. Goddamnit shut the fuck up. Let’s move Ehlinger to LB because he can play it. Staaaaaaahp

I thought Ehlinger was at linebacker. And, oh, btw, welcome back.

Edited by Bevo

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Good debate. Looking forward to watching Mukuba this fall, I didn't think he was that type of athlete. I always thought Mike was a freak athlete at 6'1, Whittington reminded me more of Mike.

Yeah, I do not understand the movement within these phases of re-rankings.  There have been no camps, no practices, nothing to base these adjustments on. It just seems like they are trying to create stories, clicks, and conversation out of thin air... 
Well, that is the entire business model, so...
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Will you also ask him why he’s leaving the program?

hes not leaving hes in line for a huge season he was not a fan of a certain coach but he tolerated him

Edited by winslow

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Satya's been plenty gloomy over on in Football today, he's trying to hold both boards' Sadboi Champ belts.

Lol. All I did was speculate that the meeting with CDC/the AD/the players didn't go well. And of course, I got flamed for it even though it's become pretty clear from players' continued reactions on Twitter than the meeting did not in fact go very well.

Anyway,

Mike Roach: David Abiara on relationship with Texas, commitment status

David Abiara committed to Notre Dame in the spring, but it seems like his recruitment is just starting to heat up. The four-star defensive end from Mansfield Legacy was recently offered by Texas, and he’s been in communication with the staff since that time. "I've been in communication with coach Giles and coach Herman a little bit. Just because they did offer late, so we're just trying to build a relationship. Just keeping options open, but everything's on the table still,” he said.

Abiara said that despite the late offer, Texas brings a lot to the table. "Good degree, good education, it's also close to home,” Abiara said. “So, that's a big thing that my parents were interested in." Abiara said he’s still committed to Notre Dame. When asked how strong his commitment was, Abiara said he felt it was still pretty sturdy. "Right now, I think it's a pretty firm commitment,’ he said. “Things could still change, but for right now I feel like I'm good where I'm at."

Abiara wants to take a look around when visits are allowed again. "Yeah, for sure. Definitely,” he said. “Because I want to make sure I'm making the right decision for me and my family, so I want to explore as much as I can." Abiara also said that Texas is likely to get one of those visits in the fall. "Yeah, for sure,” he said. “it's closer to home. I would definitely be taking a visit there." At 6-foot-4, 248 pounds, Abiara is ranked as the No. 23 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 49 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

I think Coleman needs to take a look at Eric McAlister out of Azle. Wisconsin, VT, and Nebraska are his three biggest offers. I don't think he's as good as Ketron Jackson, but he's built similarly. He seems decently fast, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had an uninspiring shuttle time.

https://247sports.com/Player/Eric-McAlister-46059123/

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Nahlin trying to make cinnamon rolls a thing. Everyone knows it's not fetch.

For fuck’s sake, that post LITERALLY says Justin Wells name in it. Is there some sense of everything on IT just being Nahlin? Because if that’s going to stick I’m going to laugh my fucking ass off if folks just start referring to Ian Boyd’s garbage as “Nahlin’s new post.”

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

For fuck’s sake, that post LITERALLY says Justin Wells name in it. Is there some sense of everything on IT just being Nahlin? Because if that’s going to stick I’m going to laugh my fucking ass off if folks just start referring to Ian Boyd’s garbage as “Nahlin’s new post.”

Justin, is that you?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Justin, is that you?

42 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Has anyone ever seen Eric Nahlin, Justin Wells, and Ian Boyd in a room together?

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Pretty sure it’s Eric Nahlin. 

MammothOpenAttwatersprairiechicken-small

Buncha non-reading fucks in here. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Jeff Howe: Jalen Milroe in a crowded race to be top QB in Texas in 2021

Including in 2017 when he inherited Sam Ehlinger as part of a transition class when taking over the program, Texas head coach Tom Herman and the Longhorns have reeled in the No. 1-ranked in-state quarterback prospect in three of four recruiting cycles. After hanging onto Ehlinger and making Roschon Johnson an early priority in 2019, the Longhorns doubled the fun in 2020 by getting Hudson Card and Ja'Quinden Jackson to sign on the dotted line.

The four in-state quarterbacks Herman and Co. have signed have been ranked as the state’s best in either the 247Sports Composite or the Top247. Jalen Milroe is currently the top-rated quarterback in Texas according to the 247Sports Composite, but the latest update to the Top247 for 2021 provided a summer snapshot of what’s sure to be a thrilling race to be the top dog in the Lone Star State.

“I think the in-state quarterback class in the state of Texas is really one of the more interesting storylines moving forward as we get into the fall because there's a cluster there,” 247Sports national analyst Charles Power told Horns247. “We have (Kaidon) Salter a little bit ahead and there's four or five guys right there around (No.) 100.”

Salter, the Cedar Hill quarterback committed to Tennessee, is leading the pack as of the most recent Top247 update, coming at No. 62 overall and the No. 9-ranked prospect in the state regardless of position. A four-star prospect with a 94 rating, Salter is ahead of a group of four other Texas quarterbacks with four-star, 93 ratings on a 100-point scale who rank no lower than No. 104 in the Top247.

Galena Park North Shore’s Dematrius Davis (Auburn) and Denton Guyer’s Eli Stowers (Texas A&M) rank slightly ahead of Milroe at No. 93 and No. 100 respectively. Milroe checks in at No. 102 overall and while he’s the fourth of five Texas quarterbacks vying to be the man (Texas Tech commit Behren Morton of Eastland is No. 104), Power said there’s not a lot that separates the five quarterbacks (Texas has eight total quarterbacks in the Top247).

What the 247Sports rankings council did this time around, according to Power, was essentially seed the closely-bunched quarterbacks ahead of the 2020 season with intention of letting their work on the field determine a winner.

“We were just looking at them and trying to weigh the junior years and overall skillsets, but the senior year with quarterbacks is really huge,” he said. “That's one of the most important evaluation points you have and I think that outweighs the junior year. That's something that we watch really closely and it's one of those things where it's like, you monitor it while it's going on, but it's really best to take stock of it once it's over. It's something that in December, we'll really dive into the type of year these guys had and I think the senior year is probably the most predictive one thing of a quarterback's future.”

Milroe’s body of work at Katy Tompkins heading into his final season has been impressive, particularly in terms of wins and losses with Milroe leading the Falcons to 10-3 and 11-2 records in each of the last two seasons after the program went 0-9 in 2017. In 2019, Milroe completed 61.8 percent of his passes for 2,689 yards and 29 touchdowns against eight interceptions to go along with 300 rushing yards and seven touchdowns on the ground.

So what puts the other quarterbacks ahead of Milroe in the eyes of the rankings council? Salter, Power said, didn’t enter the 2019 season with a profile like those of Milroe or Stowers. Multiple members of the rankings council have, however, watched Salter in action and they’ve seen one of the strongest arms in the country when viewing his throwing sessions.

There are questions about the fluidity of Stowers as a passer and he’s coming off of a season in which he suffered a serious knee injury. Nevertheless, he’s a back-to-back 1,000-yard rusher and is considered one of the best pure athletes behind center among the 2021 prep quarterback crop.

It’s not stature that makes the 5-foot-11-inch, 195-pound Davis an elite prospect. Power said the rankings council looked beyond what Davis might lack in size and sees one of the best pure football players in Texas and a two-time state champion at the highest classification in the state who added a running element to his game as a junior (1,171 yards, 8.9 yards per attempt 21 touchdowns).

Power has personally seen Milroe twice — once last spring during the Elite 11 regional in Houston and in January in San Antonio at the All-American Bowl combine. When Milroe’s name came up for discussion, Power said the best thing about him is he’s got room to improve. “He's a guy who is, obviously, very physically talented,” Power said. “He has the physical skills you'd want in terms of arm strength and running ability. I think the biggest thing with him is he had a good year as a junior, but I don't think he's really fully tapped into his physical skill set."

“He runs like a 4.5 or 4.6 (40-yard dash), but he's not a major run threat like you'd hope a guy that's that athletic is right now,” he added. “He's got a strong arm, but I think you'd probably want to see him just progress more with his feel as a passer. He can push the ball down the field, but right now you'd just like to see the parts continue to kind of come together a little more.”

It’s possible Milroe winds up in the top spot when the dust settles. Forty-two spots in the Top247 separating five quarterbacks in the same state is about as close as a position grouping can be in terms of the pecking order and Power can’t wait to see how things unfold. “The thing with that group is I'm not sure any of them has stepped out as a bonafide star,” Power said. “Odds are one of them will, but I think how they shake out this season will play a big role in that. It should be fun to see what happens with it.”

• Like 1

(Eric Nahlin) Parceled Humidor: Oyetade, Abiara, Helm, J. Jones, Alexis, J. Johnson

We’re going to wait on posting program information this a.m. The board could use a break from the drama and I’m trying to get the best possible handle on the situation(s). Right now the AD and coaching staff are dealing with the double barrel blast of pandemic and protesting and I think it’s fair to let them work through it all. I will try and post something today.

STATE OF RECRUITING

Texas added two nice pieces to the 2021 puzzle on Monday when Dallas Kimball’s Ishmael Ibraheem and Kennedale’s JD Coffey joined the class. The four-star DB duo from DFW fit what Texas wants in its class — rangy defensive backs who can cover a lot of ground. It also continued a trend @EricNahlin outlined this week on how the defense is outpacing the offense for the 2021 class. As UT ambles down the path, let’s catch up on the latest with #trUTh21 targets as summer is set to officially begin.

Ezra Oyetade... the Lakeview Centennial o-lineman has had quite the week. The 6-foot-3, 285-pound newly minted four-star jumped over 400 spots in the latest 247 rankings for 2021 and accepted a spot in the Army All American game in January. The center/guard prospect is on the UT radar. In fact, Oyetade told IT he had a Zoom meeting with Herb Hand last night. The Horns like him, but still hold out hope on James Brockermeyer as the center take.

He’s very open to the Longhorns. He’s a highly intelligent kid with Vanderbilt, Virginia, and Ivy League offers. Texas can usually shimmy its way into these recruitments when it wants to. The common sense play is to offer, continue to build the relationship, and take him as an interior guy. His recruitment could be symbolic of OL recruiting in this wacky cycle.

David Abiara.. the Mansfield Legacy defensive end and current Notre Dame pledge has continued to speak with Oscar Giles and Chris Ash over the last month. As for being solid to the Fighting Irish, it’s softer than Charmin. OU and Texas have made strong impressions on the 6-foot-4, 248-pound four-star strongside end.

He’s falling for the McCombs Business School pitch since business school is his academic goal. If Abiara takes his time, UT could make up ground but right now we feel OU is the leader despite his commitment to Notre Dame. He wants to take visits and that bodes well for the Horns chances. He’s a good one the board should want if the staff can’t work its way back in it for Landon Jackson.

Jonathan Jones... the defensive end from McKinney is starting to sway in the burnt orange direction. At 6-foot-4, 230, the three-star holds 27 offers, including Missouri, Arizona State, Nebraska, and Virginia Tech. Today, the Mizzou Tigers are probably his quiet leader, but Texas is making up ground on the daily. Jones has mentioned making a decision before his senior year, but when IT spoke with him recently, he told us it’ll likely be later this season.

Gunnar Helm... The three-star tight end from Cherry Creek, CO, holds 27 offers including LSU, Georgia, and Penn State. At 6-foot-5, 225, Helm and the Texas staff have continued to build after the Horns extended an offer a few weeks ago. I’m hearing Helm is interested in UT and taking a visit to Austin. If UT takes two tight ends in this class, they want to make sure it’s more than a body.

Jaden Alexis... Catching up with the Pompano Beach, FL native and one of the top wide receiver targets for UT, the 5-foot-11, 175 pound three-star (.88 composite) is enjoying his recruiting process and still honing his skills daily. Miami and Penn State are probably UT’s top competition for the Monarch HS speedster. He wants to “see Austin at all costs,” and talks at least one member of the staff almost daily, he told IT this week. This one continues to trend Texas. If you’re looking for the next pledge for 2021, he might be a resident of the Sunshine State.

Jamier Johnson... The 6-foot-1, 175 pounder from Pass-uh-deeeenah, CA is set to make his decision on the 3rd of July. He hasn’t visited Texas yet but there’s some hope he could pull a surprise commitment and solidify that once visits are allowed to take place. We think Texas is likely in third place behind Oregon and Arizona State. Don’t sleep on the Sun Devils. Antonio Pierce is a stud recruiter.

• Like 2