Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's an easy victory but it probably requires a BOR vote. Texas has already renamed several buildings/dorms but it required a BOR vote. At least that was the process with Simkens Residence Hall. 

I don't think anyone expected them to pull down the signage during the meeting - but its fairly simple for the Pres and AD to say they support the change and will present it to the BOR for a vote at the first opportunity.

Now maybe they did that - but I feel like if they had it would have been reported. 

• Like 1

Sorry to derail. If y’all thought the players asked for a lot, you should’ve seen the general student body’s petition. It was about 3 times as long and included everything the players asked for. It asked for UTPD to be abolished (you know, the guys who don’t give out any citations but are just there to provide safety). UTPD doesn’t even stop kids for underage drinking or open containers. And it asked to get rid of standardized testing, which is outrageous for reasons already mentioned. 

Edited by dilloncp98
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is a good move, imo.

Schools that did this early in 2007 after the change to the SAT said they did it because SAT/ACT scores were not indicative of student success. High school GPAs are. This has remained a part of the argument, but also that underfunded school districts are not preparing their kids to perform as well on these tests as wealthier districts are. 

High school knowledge acquisition is not indicative of ability to learn, and often minorities are victims in the admissions process. There really isn't a downside here.

GPA is much more indicative of this than SAT scores. I don't even remember there being any high school knowledge tested on there unless you count middle school math. So throw out GPAs. I would've been in favor of that XD. Personally, I think both metrics kinda suck and the way we do high school education would have to be completely rethought to fix these things.

They already do consider disadvantages in the admission process. Maybe they should weigh it more, but I remember when I applied they had spots/essays to describe your situation. More importantly than admissions, they need to make sure kids from tough backgrounds know the opportunities available to them in college and make sure they're ready for the transition. It doesn't really matter where you go to school. One of my colleagues went to a shitty high school in a bad part of New Jersey where nobody went to college and dropped out at 16. He worked for years, went to community college, transferred to a 4 year engineering school and graduated with a 4.0. He's about to finish his PhD and was funded by one of the more prestigious fellowships available in our field for most of it.

Edited by Bevo14

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No, this is not correct. You're quoting an opinion piece about an internal UC study conducted by mostly professors, department chairs, and deans. What it found is significantly more nuanced than that and speaks more to their own internal admissions practices than for other schools. 

Reveal hidden contents

Prof. Henry Sánchez (UCSF, Pathology), Chair
Eva Baker (UCLA, Graduate School of Education)
Julian Betts (UCSD, Economics)
Li Cai (UCLA, Graduate School of Education)
Eddie Comeaux (UCR, Graduate School of Education, BOARS chair)
Darlene Francis (UCB, Public Health, UCOPE chair)
Patricia Gandara (UCLA, Graduate School of Education)
Jonathan Glater (UCI, Law)
James Griesemer (UCD, Philosophy)
Andrea Hasenstaub (UCSF, Integrative Neuroscience)
George Johnson (UCB, Mechanical Engineering)
Mona Lynch (UCI, Criminology, Law & Society)
Andrew Maul (UCSB, Education)
Yolanda Moses (UCR, Anthropology)
Wendy Rummerfield (UCI, Statistics, Student representative)
Kit Tellez (UCSC, Education)
Haim Weizman (UCSD, Chemistry & Biochemistry)
Anne Zanzucchi (UCM, Writing Studies, UCEP chair)

https://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/_files/underreview/sttf-report.pdf

Reveal hidden contents

Q: But don’t these large differences in SAT scores across demographic groups cause large
variations in UC admissions rates? Isn’t that unfair given inequalities in school quality and other
inequalities in California society?

This is a reasonable pair of questions. It turns out, though, that differences in average test scores between
groups of applicants do not cause highly different admit rates. Campus admissions officers appear to renorm, i.e., compensate for, SAT scores by comparing a student’s test scores not to the average SAT scores across all applicants, but rather to the SAT scores of other students who come from similarly
disadvantaged groups. UC does not have a specific cutoff for SAT scores below which admission is not
possible. If it did, then all admits would have very high SAT scores, and average score differences
between disadvantaged groups and advantaged groups, although large in the applicant pool, would be
greatly reduced in the pool of students who were admitted. But this is not what happens. The rightmost
column in Table 3C-4 shows that the test score gaps between racial/ethnic groups, between income
groups, and between first- and non-first-generation students among applicants remain virtually as large
among admitted students, which means that the test score gaps that are correlated with race, first generation status, family income, and parental education level are almost fully compensated for in
admissions decisions; otherwise the test score gaps in the applicant pool would be different than the gaps
in the admitted pool. 

Holding my breath waiting for this to transition into a conversation about Stanford recruiting.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Holding my breath waiting for ths to transition into a conversation about Stanford recruiting.

How many football players have transferred? I remember a lot being in the portal. I wonder if it is having an effect on recruiting.

36 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

UTPD doesn’t even stop kids for underage drinking or open containers. 

False - first hand knowledge.  They didn't arrest me though, so I have that going for me. Who would have thought swerving down San Jac at 3am with no lights on and blaring music with the windows down would call attention to myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

False - first hand knowledge.  They didn't arrest me though, so I have that going for me. Who would have thought swerving down San Jac at 3am with no lights on and blaring music with the windows down would call attention to myself.

Got an MIP from Travis County for holding an empty cup with "beer residue". Me and one other guy at a party of 100 people. I'm all in favor of defunding those motherfuckers.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

I’m told neither Del Conte nor any member of the Texas football staff were given a heads-up about the posting of the demand letter.

FCB.

Yeah, i'm not feeling good about my prediction of this being a 12 win season. 

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I can't imagine our situation is as dire as aggy and their statuesque ways or even worse Mizzou a few years back that cost Bowtie his job.

aggy does not sell, media will only do what is asked.

We are very different. Remember Allred flying in for a settlement became tmz headlines...

36 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Regis is good. Preferable to the Colorado kid, but still a backup for Turner. Idk, maybe you take both.

Haven't watched the hudl, so can't comment on how he is, but his rankings are all over the place between the 3 services.  91 and #215 in the nation on 247.  4* on ESPN, but 5.5 (low 3*) on Rivals, which results in the .8741 composite average.

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't watched the hudl, so can't comment on how he is, but his rankings are all over the place between the 3 services.  91 and #215 in the nation on 247.  4* on ESPN, but 5.5 (low 3*) on Rivals, which results in the .8741 composite average.

Rivals blows cock.

1 hour ago, Blackcat00 said:

Only good news I have seen today is my Rec Tec pellet smoker will deliver to my house on Monday. 

Cool. That’s more of a grill than a smoker isn’t it? I mean, I ‘m sure you can use it for smoking, but isn’t it mainly a grill, or am I mistaken?

4 hours ago, dilloncp98 said:

Sorry to derail. If y’all thought the players asked for a lot, you should’ve seen the general student body’s petition. It was about 3 times as long and included everything the players asked for. It asked for UTPD to be abolished (you know, the guys who don’t give out any citations but are just there to provide safety). UTPD doesn’t even stop kids for underage drinking or open containers. And it asked to get rid of standardized testing, which is outrageous for reasons already mentioned. 

But UTPD will stop a kid for rolling a stop sign and then give him the business when he says his name is Ricky but his DL says Erick. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think his film is incredible. He doesn't have the strength of the great ones, but he certainly has the feet. Tons of potential.

18 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

He's certainly an interesting athlete, and I don't envy HS kids who are tasked with tackling him. Not a ton of film that knocked my socks off at DT. Is the hope he turns into Lamarr Houston or something like that?

There have been so many NGs and DTs with his build, they are too numerous to count: Jerry Ball, Casey Hampton, Lamarr Houston, guys like Eugene Seale and Roy Miller (and yes I know Seale was a LB). You don't have to be 6'4"-6'6".

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I think his film is incredible. He doesn't have the strength of the great ones, but he certainly has the feet. Tons of potential.

There have been so many NGs and DTs with his build, they are too numerous to count: Jerry Ball, Casey Hampton, Lamarr Houston, guys like Eugene Seale and Roy Miller (and yes I know Seale was a LB). You don't have to be 6'4"-6'6".

Before West Brook High opened, Jerry Ball played linebacker for the old South Park High. In that capacity he concussed me so badly I only remember being informed of it the next day.

I played football and ran track with Eugene Seale. He regularly placed in the shot put, discus and 100 yard dash. His football scholarship offer from UH got pulled so he wrecked their shit playing for Lamar, who was on their non-conference schedule. Over 30 solo tackles in two games IIRC.

I suspect I might have traveled in the same circles as you, Bevo

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Hey he's taller than Poona

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Reading Satya's post, it sounds like my guess about the meeting was correct. We want to talk things out, and the vocal kids just want blanket acceptance of their demands. CDC bringing up donors and money was probably a misstep, IMO. He could have used passionate alums who have the song mean something different to them without bringing up fucking money. That literally just describes a tacit value of their discomfort for dollars, of which they generate a fuckload of...goddamnit. 

45qmip.gif

9 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not saying you’re wrong, but then how do you provide a variable to differentiate applicants ability to learn? 

Ricky's one-hitter and Bevo14 are providing good information on this topic. Please see their replies on this topic.

Using data at 16 years old to predict learning capacity/performance of adults is hard (impossible?: brain development continues into your mid-20's). SAT was designed to predict college performance. Even it's proponents only claimed correlation of 0.6. More so, it predicts access to better schools and test prep. It reinforces bias against disadvantaged groups regardless of race.

The data on SAT's poor performance leaves us with GPA, which is a test of organization and effort. It may be sufficient. There is mounting evidence that "grit" or resiliency is a better predictor of adult success than other measures of talent. Lots of people are trying to figure out how to measure and predict grit. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, quigley said:

Ricky's one-hitter and Bevo14 are providing good information on this topic. Please see their replies on this topic.

Using data at 16 years old to predict learning capacity/performance of adults is hard (impossible?: brain development continues into your mid-20's). SAT was designed to predict college performance. Even it's proponents only claimed correlation of 0.6. More so, it predicts access to better schools and test prep. It reinforces bias against disadvantaged groups regardless of race.

The data on SAT's poor performance leaves us with GPA, which is a test of organization and effort. It may be sufficient. There is mounting evidence that "grit" or resiliency is a better predictor of adult success than other measures of talent. Lots of people are trying to figure out how to measure and predict grit

So fullbacks are the next world leaders

• Like 4
  • Haha 1