Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

According to this article, Albert Regis bench presses more than 400 .lbs, squats more than 600, runs a 4.61 40 yard dash, and engages in Viking blót sacrifices before games.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/04/30/gophers-football-commit-albert-regis-could-be-a-swiss-army-tool-on-defense/

Sounds like a 6 star

Stampede

Spoiler

As we move into the summer, Texas is ahead of schedule from where they've been in recent years.  In fact, Texas holds double the commits they held at the same time last year.  New offers have been going out recently, and the picture is starting to become a bit clearer when it comes to how this class will finish out.

The future is unclear when it comes to visits, but the opportunity to host visitors this fall could be monumental.  A new wave of in-state offers could be coming soon, and those names will be where we focus attention in the coming months. 

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we discuss the latest on a few new targets and what high school coaches are saying about the Texas recruiting efforts. 

—The Longhorns sent out an offer to La Porte ATH Albert Regis on Friday. Regis was offered by Mark Hagen which would indicate Texas sees him as a defensive tackle. At 6-foot-1, 300 pounds Regis is definitely billed as a defensive tackle, but he has some versatility as a jumbo athlete since he plays tight end at his high school. A source I spoke with at Texas told me the staff has actually been doing a lot of research on Regis for a month or so. The biggest concern was verifying his actual height, but they loved the film and the culture fit. Regis is a strong student who comes highly regarded by his coaches.

I spoke with a few other college coaches around the country who feel that Regis is one of the most intriguing prospects in the country. While some might question his height and length, his athleticism and production show clearly on film. I checked with sources around Regis and it sounds like the offer definitely moved the needle with him. 247Sports’ analyst Steve Wiltfong recently entered a Crystal Ball pick for Texas with a confidence meter of five. After talking to some folks over the weekend, I’ve decided to go ahead and enter a pick as well. I’m not sure anything is imminent there, but I think Texas is likely to move into a commanding position.

—Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial OL Ezra Oyetade is a player who has been picking up steam lately. As the Longhorns look for additional help on the offensive line, Oyetade is definitely a guy to watch. Texas already has ties at Lakeview with offers out to running back Camar Wheaton and defensive tackle Ikechukwu Iwunnah. The recent invite to the All-American Bowl has been increasing contact with Texas over the last few weeks, and I’m told he had a long zoom call last week with the Texas staff and the feeling is that he might be closing in on an offer. Oyetade is a strong student, so programs like Vanderbilt and Virginia are considered front runners at this time along with Arizona State. There’s a feeling that a Texas offer is likely to move the needle as well, and the Longhorns could start building toward a consensus to land the three coveted Lakeview Centennial targets in 2021.

—Our Nick Harris spoke with Rockdale running back Cam’Ron Valdez over the weekend. Valdez said he’s had some increased contact with Texas in the last few weeks. The Longhorns currently hold a commitment from Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, and they are engaged in battles for two of the best in the state of Texas with Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson. At this point, it looks like Texas is keeping in contact with Valdez, and he may be a guy they turn to depending on how things turn out with their other targets.

—Keep an eye on South Grand Prairie cornerback Jalon Williams as a potential cornerback target. Williams owns a 10.52 100-meter time and a 21.69 200-meter time. From a purely athletic standpoint, Williams has elite speed and potential. One source I spoke with felt that Williams might have a higher profile if he competed in camps or on the 7v7 circuit. Williams told Horns247 he’s been speaking with Jay Valai recently. The Longhorns will likely see their other targets through, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Williams offered in the next month or so.

—Englewood (CO) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm picked up an offer from Texas last week. The Longhorns are moving on Helm as an option at tight end and pursuing hard. Texas is behind here, but they had a productive virtual visit over the weekend. Helm is high on SEC programs Georgia, LSU and Auburn along with Iowa. We are supposed to connect with Helm sometime this week to speak with him about his recruitment and his interest in Texas.

—Last week I wrote about where things stand with Mansfield Legacy DE and Notre Dame commit David Abiara. At the moment he’s committed to Notre Dame, but Oklahoma is the school putting a ton of pressure on him. From talking to those near him, it actually sounds like Oklahoma has the most momentum at the moment. That said, I think Texas is a definite darkhorse if they can stay in this race and get Abiara on campus for a visit in the fall. Abiara and his family are big on education, and Abiara wants to find a top-notch business school if he can. With McCombs in the arsenal, Texas will have a lot to pitch with him.

—As Steve Wiltfong reported last week, Texas isn’t out of it for Pasadena (Calif.) John Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson. Johnson announced that his commitment would come July 3rd and it seemed like Texas would be on the outside since they hadn’t received a visit from him. The Longhorns are hanging in there, and it sounds like Colorado will be the chief rival and the Buffaloes have an advantage with staffer Demetrice Martin from the same school. However, Johnson’s mom loves the educational opportunities at Texas, and I’m told their virtual visits went over with the family in a way no one else’s has.

—I checked in once again with sources near Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. There isn’t much new with Wheaton at this point. I asked if Wheaton was anywhere close to a decision, and the source told me he still hadn’t narrowed down his final schools. While I’ve always had the feeling this recruitment could end suddenly, it seems that it’s likely to drag into the fall and maybe all the way to signing day.

—I also checked on Lakeview Centennial defensive tackle Ikechukwu Iwunnah. I was told Iwunnah also wants to see some schools this fall as part of the recruiting process. Texas is in a strong position, but timing could get a little tricky. Depending on what happens with targets like Albert Regis, the Longhorns might have limited numbers down the stretch. They will undoubtedly hold a spot for Shemar Turner, so it could get tricky negotiating the twists and turns in the fall.

—I spoke with a number of high school coaches over the last month to get an idea of what they thought regarding this new Texas staff and their recruiting ability. The consensus is that the new staff recruits with a much different energy. While one coach I spoke with praised the previous staff as a “bunch of great guys” and he “couldn’t figure out why Herman would let them go,” the majority opinion has been that the Longhorns are recruiting differently.

While late offers still happen, I was told that this new staff seems hungrier and they are led by the coordinators on both sides. Chris Ash and Mike Yurcich have both been praised as professional and hardworking recruiters who have treated high school prospects and coaches with honesty and respect.

That’s not to say the previous staff lacked those things. Tim Beck was one of the better recruiters on staff and he was well respected by high school coaches. Still, one coach told me they felt Texas was taking a better approach to the process under the new staff.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Keep an eye on South Grand Prairie cornerback Jalon Williams as a potential cornerback target. Williams owns a 10.52 100-meter time and a 21.69 200-meter time. From a purely athletic standpoint, Williams has elite speed and potential. One source I spoke with felt that Williams might have a higher profile if he competed in camps or on the 7v7 circuit.

Raw technically, but fast as hell. Not great at press yet, speed shows on tape. He doesn't possess the Billy BA skills that are redundant in Harmon, but that's fine.

I'm assuming we take 2 more DBs, maybe 3, and one of them should be in the mold of a corner. If it's not Jamier Johnson, I like Williams. I think we'll see a spot held for Mukuba, a spot for one of Jamier Johnson/Ceyair Wright/Jalon Williams/Harmon, and maybe a spot for the leftover they feel best about which would probably be Jalon Williams, Lemear, or a Harmon flip. 

43 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The Longhorns sent out an offer to La Porte ATH Albert Regis on Friday. Regis was offered by Mark Hagen which would indicate Texas sees him as a defensive tackle.

Go get Regis and wait on Turner. Ike is your Turner backup plan, Regis is a take all day in his own right. We can't take 3 true DTs, 2 is pushing it with who you have committed at SDE. 

46 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Valdez said he’s had some increased contact with Texas in the last few weeks. The Longhorns currently hold a commitment from Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, and they are engaged in battles for two of the best in the state of Texas with Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson.

Valdez would make Brooks the RB1 take. Pass. 

47 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

While one coach I spoke with praised the previous staff as a “bunch of great guys” and he “couldn’t figure out why Herman would let them go,”

giphy.gif

• Like 2

—I spoke with a number of high school coaches over the last month to get an idea of what they thought regarding this new Texas staff and their recruiting ability. The consensus is that the new staff recruits with a much different energy. While one coach I spoke with praised the previous staff as a “bunch of great guys” and he “couldn’t figure out why Herman would let them go,” the majority opinion has been that the Longhorns are recruiting differently.

confused wait what GIF

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Go get Regis and wait on Turner. Ike is your Turner backup plan, Regis is a take all day in his own right. We can't take 3 true DTs, 2 is pushing it with who you have committed at SDE. 

With our new 4DL, I hope we take Regis and Iwunnah. Make room for Turner if he wants to come but he's loving LSU/Bama at the moment.

Agree on taking Ezra right now. Go get him, nice to have a swing C/G with that potential.

• Like 3

(Justin Wells) Inside Scoop: Updating timelines, flipability, and where UT stands with top targets in 2021

It was almost a year ago to the date when high hopes for the 2020 class dropped like a rock. Bijan Robinson was heading to Ohio State. Vernon Broughton was heading to the school he most recently officially visited. He said nice things about Arkansas! Only a Razorback could do that! There were fireworks to be sure but at the time it looked like the barge was catching on fire. That was a wild stretch.

The next sixth months has the chance to be even more up and down. There are just so many unknowns. When will visits be allowed again? Will visits be allowed again? Will kids be as open to leaving home as in the past? Does this help or hurt Texas? Will the team beat LSU? OU? TCU? ISU? Ok St. OU....again? Because the cycle has so much likelihood for volatility, staffs that work the hardest to build relationships and contingencies will be the most rewarded. I don’t envy those who have to navigate it. It’ll be difficult enough to cover it.

TIMELINES/FLIPABILITY FOR 2021

RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX): He wants to take all five of his official visits. There’s a chance he makes a decision during the season but he’d have to be blown away for that to happen. For Texas to win out, the talented stable of running backs on paper need to be a talented stable of running backs on the field. He doesn’t mind joining a loaded backfield, as long as its productive. A&M is the easier path to the field. He’s pretty close with some Texas commits, though. Best guess is he’ll decide in December.

RB Camar Wheaton, Lakeview Centennial (Garland, TX) He always seems to have a different answer. This kid could commit tomorrow or in the middle of October. Normally when they hold out this long, they think what does a little longer matter. We feel this is a battle between UT and OU, and an offer to teammate Ezra Oyetade wouldn't hurt.

WR Jaden Alexis, Monarch (Coconut Creek, FL): Alexis has no set timeline but we’re keeping an eye on him in case he wants to decide in the coming weeks. Texas is battling it out with Miami for the versatile athlete and we believe the Horns are ahead.

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - LSU: Flipping Earle can happen. But not anytime soon. Beat LSU and get him back to Austin and see how things play out. UT needs to get Earle thinking less like @Ian Boyd when it comes to LSU’s offense being plug-and-play. Coach Coleman still views Earle as the highest priority.

WR Antonio Harmon, Kosciusko (Kosciusko, MS): He's mentioned this summer. UT likes him and he’s interested but Ole Miss is the favorite.

WR JJ Henry, McKinney North (McKinney, TX): No timeline. He wants to take his time and build relationships. Of the in-state schools, UT is in a good position. He likes Florida State and Ole Miss of the out-of-state schools. Relationship will be a bigger key here than with most recruits.

WR Ketron Jackson, Royse City (Royse City, TX): We’re hearing it's a summer decision, but Jackson doesn't seem in a hurry. Texas would be fine with him taking his time. Arkansas and TCU are the Horns competition here.

WR Theodore Knox, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX): We’ve been told a summer decision and we've been waiting on his Miss State pledge. A flip might be difficult, especially since the staff wouldn’t expend much effort. Alexis, Henry, and Earle seem to be the preferred targets.

WR Hal Presley, Mansfield Summit (Arlington, TX) - BAYLOR: Flipping Presley is a possibility we’ve mentioned in the past. He’s one of a handful of outside targets they’re still recruiting.

TE Thomas Fidone, Lewis Central (Council Bluffs, IA): We’re uncertain of his timeline but Nebraska is the likely destination at this point. UT got in way too late.

TE Var'Keyes Gumms, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX): No hurry, and only a contingency at this point. Gumms was one of the first offers in the class. His tape will be worth checking out in September.

TE Gunnar Helm, Cherry Creek (Englewood, CO): He wants to take all five official visits, so he’s not in a hurry. Texas has leapt into his top-five. Iowa, who recently offered, are in it too. He has some of the nationally elite schools on him, so his decision could come down to who is pushing for him the hardest late. UT needs to build a strong relationship to land him and the staff is working towards that goal. He took a virtual visit the other day to familiarize himself with the school. He may take a visit to Austin this summer to get a feel for the area. This wouldn’t be a recruiting visit per se.

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints (Fort Worth, TX): I don’t get the feeling he’s as tired of recruiting as Tommy is but the brothers are almost assuredly going to the same school, so if one announces, the other will be assumed for that school as well. I think he talked to Texas late last week.

OL Tommy Brockermeyer, All Saints (Fort Worth, TX): If Tommy announced in July to reduce his recruiting workload, it wouldn’t surprise us. Texas needs to win and show program stability.

OL Savion Byrd, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): Byrd might stretch his decision into the season. He's a quiet kid, so it might come out of nowhere. Texas is in a trail position.

OL Erick Cade, Braswell (Aubrey, TX): We hardly ever hear any news on Cade and not just from a UT perspective. His recruitment has been incredibly quiet. He has real upside, though, and may be one they circle back on.

OL Bryce Foster, Taylor (Katy, TX): OU leads but we still think he’ll want to take his official visits.

DT Marcus Burris, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX): Burris wants to commit before the season starts. It would be OU today.

DT Ike Iwunnah, Lakeview Centennial (Garland, TX): A summer decision is likely because Ike wants to enjoy his senior year. That could put the staff in a difficult position, because...

DT Albert Regis, La Porte (La Porte, TX): No timeline, but his new Texas offer changed this recruitment. If the staff recruits him like it wants him, we think they’ll land the bouncy interior defender. Coach Hagen is already doing work.

DT Shemar Turner, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX): It’s going to be Texas or an out-of-state SEC program. Turner will make a very late decision and Texas will have room until the end.

DE David Abiara, Legacy (Mansfield, TX) - NOTRE DAME: No timeline, but he’s been on flip watch for OU for some time. It was actually surprising when the committed to Notre Dame. The Texas offer does give him something to think about, however, and he loves the business school in the ATX.

DE Kelvin Gilliam, Highland Springs (Highland Springs, VA): Before his senior year, but that could change. He’s only visited Texas virtually. OU flipping Abiara might help UT.

DE Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX) - LSU: We‘re not predicting it but we actually like UT's chances at a flip here, but they'll probably have to win in Baton Rouge and play for the Big 12 Championship. He's definitely listening. And he'll definitely visit Austin this fall.

DE Jonathan Jones, McKinney High (McKinney, TX): He'd like to commit this summer, and it would likely be Missouri today. Give it more time and it might be orange house.

DE Arden Walker, Cherry Creek (Englewood, CO): Helm’s teammate has actually been hearing from Texas for a long time and was slated to visit before corona shut things down. As a player, he’s similar to Jonathan Jones.

DE Clayton Smith, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) OU: I don't see a Texas flip in the ETX prospect. LSU might try though.

LB Terrence Cooks, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX): Maybe later this summer, but more likely during the season. Perhaps October. Cooks and Texas still look fantastic regardless.

CB Deuce Harmon, Guyer (Denton, TX) - TEXAS A&M: A flip could happen but don't hold your breath.

CB Jamier Johnson, John Muir (Pasadena, CA): He's announcing on July 3rd, and Texas is in it. But probably third behind Oregon and Arizona State.

S Devin Lemear, Manor (Manor, TX): The one-time TCU commit would prefer to decide before the season starts. His UT offer may be contingent upon what Andrew Mukuba does.

S Andrew Mukuba, LBJ (Austin, TX): If he was able to make visits this summer, we think he’d decide before the season, but that likely won’t be the case. UT has made up a lot of ground and landing Ishmael Ibraheem and JD Coffey only improve UT’s chances. Beware Clemson.

ATH Ceyair Wright, Loyola (Los Angeles, CA): He wants to decide in July and Notre Dame or USC would be the pick today. This is a recruitment where UT can make a move, if the staff can get him to campus.

• Like 3

Stampede
Spoiler

As we move into the summer, Texas is ahead of schedule from where they've been in recent years.  In fact, Texas holds double the commits they held at the same time last year.  New offers have been going out recently, and the picture is starting to become a bit clearer when it comes to how this class will finish out.
The future is unclear when it comes to visits, but the opportunity to host visitors this fall could be monumental.  A new wave of in-state offers could be coming soon, and those names will be where we focus attention in the coming months. 

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we discuss the latest on a few new targets and what high school coaches are saying about the Texas recruiting efforts. 

—The Longhorns sent out an offer to La Porte ATH Albert Regis on Friday. Regis was offered by Mark Hagen which would indicate Texas sees him as a defensive tackle. At 6-foot-1, 300 pounds Regis is definitely billed as a defensive tackle, but he has some versatility as a jumbo athlete since he plays tight end at his high school. A source I spoke with at Texas told me the staff has actually been doing a lot of research on Regis for a month or so. The biggest concern was verifying his actual height, but they loved the film and the culture fit. Regis is a strong student who comes highly regarded by his coaches.
I spoke with a few other college coaches around the country who feel that Regis is one of the most intriguing prospects in the country. While some might question his height and length, his athleticism and production show clearly on film. I checked with sources around Regis and it sounds like the offer definitely moved the needle with him. 247Sports’ analyst Steve Wiltfong recently entered a Crystal Ball pick for Texas with a confidence meter of five. After talking to some folks over the weekend, I’ve decided to go ahead and enter a pick as well. I’m not sure anything is imminent there, but I think Texas is likely to move into a commanding position.

—Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial OL Ezra Oyetade is a player who has been picking up steam lately. As the Longhorns look for additional help on the offensive line, Oyetade is definitely a guy to watch. Texas already has ties at Lakeview with offers out to running back Camar Wheaton and defensive tackle Ikechukwu Iwunnah. The recent invite to the All-American Bowl has been increasing contact with Texas over the last few weeks, and I’m told he had a long zoom call last week with the Texas staff and the feeling is that he might be closing in on an offer. Oyetade is a strong student, so programs like Vanderbilt and Virginia are considered front runners at this time along with Arizona State. There’s a feeling that a Texas offer is likely to move the needle as well, and the Longhorns could start building toward a consensus to land the three coveted Lakeview Centennial targets in 2021.
—Our Nick Harris spoke with Rockdale running back Cam’Ron Valdez over the weekend. Valdez said he’s had some increased contact with Texas in the last few weeks. The Longhorns currently hold a commitment from Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, and they are engaged in battles for two of the best in the state of Texas with Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson. At this point, it looks like Texas is keeping in contact with Valdez, and he may be a guy they turn to depending on how things turn out with their other targets.

—Keep an eye on South Grand Prairie cornerback Jalon Williams as a potential cornerback target. Williams owns a 10.52 100-meter time and a 21.69 200-meter time. From a purely athletic standpoint, Williams has elite speed and potential. One source I spoke with felt that Williams might have a higher profile if he competed in camps or on the 7v7 circuit. Williams told Horns247 he’s been speaking with Jay Valai recently. The Longhorns will likely see their other targets through, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Williams offered in the next month or so.
—Englewood (CO) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm picked up an offer from Texas last week. The Longhorns are moving on Helm as an option at tight end and pursuing hard. Texas is behind here, but they had a productive virtual visit over the weekend. Helm is high on SEC programs Georgia, LSU and Auburn along with Iowa. We are supposed to connect with Helm sometime this week to speak with him about his recruitment and his interest in Texas.

—Last week I wrote about where things stand with Mansfield Legacy DE and Notre Dame commit David Abiara. At the moment he’s committed to Notre Dame, but Oklahoma is the school putting a ton of pressure on him. From talking to those near him, it actually sounds like Oklahoma has the most momentum at the moment. That said, I think Texas is a definite darkhorse if they can stay in this race and get Abiara on campus for a visit in the fall. Abiara and his family are big on education, and Abiara wants to find a top-notch business school if he can. With McCombs in the arsenal, Texas will have a lot to pitch with him.
—As Steve Wiltfong reported last week, Texas isn’t out of it for Pasadena (Calif.) John Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson. Johnson announced that his commitment would come July 3rd and it seemed like Texas would be on the outside since they hadn’t received a visit from him. The Longhorns are hanging in there, and it sounds like Colorado will be the chief rival and the Buffaloes have an advantage with staffer Demetrice Martin from the same school. However, Johnson’s mom loves the educational opportunities at Texas, and I’m told their virtual visits went over with the family in a way no one else’s has.

—I checked in once again with sources near Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. There isn’t much new with Wheaton at this point. I asked if Wheaton was anywhere close to a decision, and the source told me he still hadn’t narrowed down his final schools. While I’ve always had the feeling this recruitment could end suddenly, it seems that it’s likely to drag into the fall and maybe all the way to signing day.
—I also checked on Lakeview Centennial defensive tackle Ikechukwu Iwunnah. I was told Iwunnah also wants to see some schools this fall as part of the recruiting process. Texas is in a strong position, but timing could get a little tricky. Depending on what happens with targets like Albert Regis, the Longhorns might have limited numbers down the stretch. They will undoubtedly hold a spot for Shemar Turner, so it could get tricky negotiating the twists and turns in the fall.

While late offers still happen, I was told that this new staff seems hungrier and they are led by the coordinators on both sides. Chris Ash and Mike Yurcich have both been praised as professional and hardworking recruiters who have treated high school prospects and coaches with honesty and respect.
That’s not to say the previous staff lacked those things. Tim Beck was one of the better recruiters on staff and he was well respected by high school coaches. Still, one coach told me they felt Texas was taking a better approach to the process under the new staff.

Translation. Orlando was nowhere to be found on the recruiting trail until January when he realized he’d not talked to, much less signed, any LB recruits. Then he’d go back into his film room to devise a scheme where Texas cheerleaders blitzed from right around where smoky the cannon was perched.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think 3 is the number and I think the move on Regis speaks to that. I think all of the 9.95ers are thinking that this class is 23-25. I think it's 29. We will see, but I think the approach at S, DL,  speak to a 

Depth chart at DT for 2021 is what right now?  Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, and Goram-Welch. I guess Brougthon will be a slide player and be a combo SDE/DT on passing downs type player. 

That's barely a 2-deep and features 3 guys that could leave as JR for the NFL. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I think 3 is the number and I think the move on Regis speaks to that. I think all of the 9.95ers are thinking that this class is 23-25. I think it's 29. We will see, but I think the approach at S, DL,  speak to a 

Depth chart at DT for 2021 is what right now?  Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, and Goram-Welch. I guess Brougthon will be a slide player and be a combo SDE/DT on passing downs type player. 

Is Warren going to end up a DT?  Thought I saw he was up to 290 lbs.  

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I like your optimism on class size if the season goes well, but I would be surprised if they were able to get there. 

I typed out a whole post where I basically argued with myself about why I disagree, but I convinced myself to take all 3 in the process. So...that's it. 

• Like 2

Hypothetically, what happens if Regis, Ike, and J. Jones all want to commit by the end of the summer and not to sound all IT, but Jackson does flip and we land Turner?  That's 5 to add with the current 3 committed.  Turner will have a spot no matter what.  Now, I don't think this all ends up happening, but it is a possible scenario.

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hypothetically, what happens if Regis, Ike, and J. Jones all want to commit by the end of the summer and not to sound all IT, but Jackson does flip and we land Turner?  That's 5 to add with the current 3 committed.  Turner will have a spot no matter what.  Now, I don't think this all ends up happening, but it is a possible scenario.

Then we just say no to Waddle.

• Like 3

Are we considering Jack as an extension of DL or LB?

How many Jacks do we sign is the real DL question. Somebody convince me that Harris is actually a Jack. He looks like a very good future WDE SDE, and his frame would support that. That leaves Sanders, maybe Juan Davis. They're recruiting Jackson and Terrell Tilmon as flip candidates. Tilmon doesn't appear to be a contingency, so I expect we see some edge contingencies pop up soon as well. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
Wrong DE spot

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

How many Jacks do we sign is the real DL question. Somebody convince me that Harris is actually a Jack. He looks like a very good future WDE, and his frame would support that. That leaves Sanders, maybe Juan Davis. They're recruiting Jackson and Terrell Tilmon as flip candidates. Tilmon doesn't appear to be a contingency, so I expect we see some edge contingencies pop up soon as well. 

Harris has recently said he will be moving forward, not backwards when the ball is snapped. Dunno what you want to call the position but it's what Ossai is/will be playing.

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

How many Jacks do we sign is the real DL question. Somebody convince me that Harris is actually a Jack. He looks like a very good future WDE, and his frame would support that. That leaves Sanders, maybe Juan Davis. They're recruiting Jackson and Terrell Tilmon as flip candidates. Tilmon doesn't appear to be a contingency, so I expect we see some edge contingencies pop up soon as well. 

I think of them as edge players (DL)

Just now, Coach pop a bitch said:

Is it set in stone that Sanders will play DE? Or does he want a shot on offense? Is Juan going to play TE or WR? 

Sanders has the option of playing TE or DE. His NFL prospects are greater as a DE, so I think there's a consensus that he'll choose what is in his long term best interest. 

Juan was recruited as a jumbo athlete. Where he ends up is anyone's guess, though if it isn't TE, I would think it's h-back (which we don't really use) or DE.

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We need to take Ike and Regis and then add Turner if he wants in. Both Broughton and Collins have positional flexibility so we don’t have a logjam at DT, and we need to set the floor in case we don’t have a big season. If we already have those two, it won’t be a problem to add an elite guy like Turner at the end. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

There’s basically no chance this happens. I think at most we could get 6 DL in the boat, which is fine since we only took 3 true DL last year, and SGW isn’t expected to be a huge contributor early. 

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

How many Jacks do we sign is the real DL question. Somebody convince me that Harris is actually a Jack. He looks like a very good future WDE SDE, and his frame would support that. That leaves Sanders, maybe Juan Davis. They're recruiting Jackson and Terrell Tilmon as flip candidates. Tilmon doesn't appear to be a contingency, so I expect we see some edge contingencies pop up soon as well. 

Jack is WDE, but in a two point stance. Ash has basically said he’s just adapting WDE to Jack for Ossai, whose skillset works a little better standing up (same for Dorbah if he sticks at Edge). But I expect ina year or two when our personnel fits a true 4 down better, Ash will move back to a hand in the dirt WDE. Either way, there’s not a huge difference between Jack and WDE. 

Harris is a an edge, and will likely be weak side (be it Jack or WDE) based on his frame. So right now we have two Jack/WDE in Sanders and Harris, one SDE (Thomas), and 0 DTs. Take Ike and Regis, then add Turner, Jackson or Smith if they flip/commit late. We have space in the class for about 6 DL if they’re good enough. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sanders has the option of playing TE or DE. His NFL prospects are greater as a DE, so I think there's a consensus that he'll choose what is in his long term best interest. 

Juan was recruited as a jumbo athlete. Where he ends up is anyone's guess, though if it isn't TE, I would think it's h-back (which we don't really use) or DE.

Does Yurcich use an H-back? It seems like Herman has wanted to use one, but hasn't found a good fit. Or another way to put it is that Herman has always talked about an H back but it has been just talk.

23 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Are H-backs or TE even allowed? Asking for a friend. 

Back in the day, there was a pretty good one from Midland Lee named Junior Miller who went to Nebraska and played some years in the NFL. Last I heard, he threatened to off his wife and then himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Does Yurcich use an H-back? It seems like Herman has wanted to use one, but hasn't found a good fit. Or another way to put it is that Herman has always talked about an H back but it has been just talk.

Andrew Beck and Chris Warren?