Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

48 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

That's the first time I have heard about the sun being bad for scars. Hopefully Bobby and Chip can get her the plastic surgery she needs to live a decent life

Do you see her skin complexion? The sun is not good for her skin by default.

15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

XPost ::

Lots of activity from the Sooner commits On twitter and the current rumor running from OU posters that claim to be in the know (across TFB, SS, OU247) is that it’s Byrd and Wheaton

from a quick social media search this isn't backed up by their (well, Byrd's) social media follows or likes...although Wheaton has no social media presence to speak of

that said, an OU Rivals dude (co publisher/recruiting editor @ soonerscoop) put in a flip for him from SMU to OU on 6/19

nothing specific posted at LT (well dirt burglars) - https://www.dirtburglars.com/forum/sports-forums/athletics/recruiting/345322-2021-recruiting-class-lincup-discussion-thread?p=563015#post563015

Edited by NoName

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

XPost ::

Lots of activity from the Sooner commits On twitter and the current rumor running from OU posters that claim to be in the know (across TFB, SS, OU247) is that it’s Byrd and Wheaton

Anyone who still had emotion invested in landing Byrd is a bit of a moron, but Wheaton would be a pain given Drayton dropping the ball on having any backup plans lined up for the millionth time. At least it's not NSD.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Anyone who still had emotion invested in landing Byrd is a bit of a moron, but Wheaton would be a pain given Drayton dropping the ball on having any backup plans lined up for the millionth time. At least it's not NSD.

Well Brooks is the backup plan right? From what other posters have said there's no other RB's worth recruiting after Wheaton and Johnson. Maybe he could have recruited nationally sooner but that's usually a crapshoot.

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Well Brooks is the backup plan right? From what other posters have said there's no other RB's worth recruiting after Wheaton and Johnson. Maybe he could have recruited nationally sooner but that's usually a crapshoot.

Brooks is a nice RB2 lottery ticket we took pretty early, and is a properly rated 3-star. The fact that the state of Texas only had two real bluechip backs means we should be offering other states' four-stars. Guys like Derrian Brown are out there. Look at how many national DB offers Ash and Valai are throwing out there.

The fact he only offered THE NATIONAL NUMBER ONE BACK after Boulware was hired and told him Henderson had always had a soft spot for Texas is just embarrassing.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Brooks is a nice RB2 lottery ticket we took pretty early, and is a properly rated 3-star. The fact that the state of Texas only had two real bluechip backs means we should be offering other states' four-stars. Guys like Derrian Brown are out there. Look at how many national DB offers Ash and Valai are throwing out there.

You've been hanging out with golfclap too long. Stan is the man with a plan.

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There is a very good reason Drayton was crying when Bijan committed last year. He knew that saved his job. Drayton seems to be a solid human but his recruiting effort is poor as his personality is best for NFL/Military Academy than going after HS kids who have options. 

If we go out and win and our running game is a strength, it might not matter. I vote for winning. 

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Hand started following this Colorado commit from Mineola: https://247sports.com/player/jackson-anderson-46097817/

Little bro of the Anderson twins that went to aggy. I think one is medically retired and the other is probably going to be one of the 5 aggy that needs to be gone to get their 2020 class in the door. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The fact he only offered THE NATIONAL NUMBER ONE BACK after Boulware was hired and told him Henderson had always had a soft spot for Texas is just embarrassing.

I get that you're mad at Drayton about this but at some point isn't it Herman's(or Yurcich's) job to kinda check in with him and be like "hey Stan, we want 2 RBs this year, so can you get on that?"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Little bro of the Anderson twins that went to aggy. I think one is medically retired and the other is probably going to be one of the 5 aggy that needs to be gone to get their 2020 class in the door. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Bested

Oh yeah, those guys. One of the all-time great 9.95er "how could we lose these kids, they were all in on Texas" freakouts right before they committed, and then their commitment Tweets were pictures of them wearing aggy gear from diapers to high school.

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hand started following this Colorado commit from Mineola: https://247sports.com/player/jackson-anderson-46097817/

Herman had the excuse to upgrade every coach and did not. Kevin Dunn was the only public figure calling for Herman to evaluate every position coach including Hand and consider options, maybe he did but it sure does not seem that way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Herman had the excuse to upgrade every coach and did not. Kevin Dunn was the only public figure calling for Herman to evaluate every position coach including Hand and consider options, maybe he did but it sure does not seem that way. 

Ok I know you need to make time for your weekly Hand ragepost, but him actually poking around other P5-level options like the board's been screaming at him to do isn't exactly the usual meltdown point.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I get that you're mad at Drayton about this but at some point isn't it Herman's(or Yurcich's) job to kinda check in with him and be like "hey Stan, we want 2 RBs this year, so can you get on that?"

Yes, Herman deserves some culpability. He always does. Yurcich is still finding his footing, imo. Whatever.

But to refute your point directly of "Hey Stan, We want 2 RB's this year so can you got on that" well allow me to retort:

Drayton: "Yeah Tom, we got Brooks in already and we all think he's better than his ranking, and we're still in the top group of schools for the 2 best backs in Texas."
Herman: "Welp."

• Like 3

Just now, texifornia said:

Ok there's a time for your weekly Hand ragepost, but him actually poking around other P5-level options like the board's been screaming at him to do isn't exactly the usual meltdown point.

Thank you for creating a safe space where all of my 2019 ou/baylor rage can be exhausted.

Just now, tokamak said:

I'm not going to get lost down the rabbit hole of Dayton being the worst coach on staff, but he is and always has been the worst coach on Herman's staff at Texas. Indefensibly bad.

A RB coach should be your single best recruiter on staff. Period. End of discussion. They should not only not have to be micromanaged about their own position, and their targets and roster numbers, a RB coach should be mentioned by MOST of your other recruits and should be the guy that is involved in every high profile recruitment. That's the actual fucking job. there are endless examples (imagine the difference in this roster, not just at RB, if Herman had kept Traylor on board as RB coach) but turn your own question around on for a second... is there any reason why a guy that is the RB coach at the University of Texas, with the rich RB history and the resources here, should need to be micromanaged by his HC just to recruit his own room? He's just bad at his job. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This season really really needs to happen so that Texas can spank OU this year and get the recruiting momentum moving decisively towards Texas and away from OU.

Or, we can collectively decide whether or not Mineola is in East Texas.

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm not going to get lost down the rabbit hole of Dayton being the worst coach on staff, but he is and always has been the worst coach on Herman's staff at Texas. Indefensibly bad.

A RB coach should be your single best recruiter on staff. Period. End of discussion. They should not only not have to be micromanaged about their own position, and their targets and roster numbers, a RB coach should be mentioned by MOST of your other recruits and should be the guy that is involved in every high profile recruitment. That's the actual fucking job. there are endless examples (imagine the difference in this roster, not just at RB, if Herman had kept Traylor on board as RB coach) but turn your own question around on for a second... is there any reason why a guy that is the RB coach at the University of Texas, with the rich RB history and the resources here, should need to be micromanaged by his HC just to recruit his own room? He's just bad at his job. 

If Herman can pull it together and survive here it'll be a very interesting story. Most who step on their dick as much as he has, rarely survive.  

On 6/21/2020 at 10:39 AM, NorLa Horns said:

83 Lufkin had a pair of brothers at running back. One was listed at 250lbs. Put his helmet in my ear hole and cracked my helmet up to the crown. 1st concussion I knew I had. 

I had a similar experience in '99 with a RB out of Phlugerville. Don't remember his name but he was the star of the FB and BB teams and a massive dude. I was the small white free safety, and the only thing between him and the end zone on this particular play. On the bright side, he did not score the TD. However, he did plant the crown of his helmet in my facemask, deforming/cracking it before tripping over me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Siap...

Jalen Milroe, Katy (Texas) Tompkins, Texas commit

Another very athletic quarterback with verified 4.64 laser-timed speed from the Elite 11 circuit prior to his junior season, the Longhorns commit had a strong junior season throwing for 2,689 yards and 29 touchdowns with another 378 yards rushing and eight touchdowns. In that campaign Milroe evolved from more of a dynamic playmaker as a sophomore into a signal-caller that can take you apart with his arm. Similar to Stowers it would’ve been nice to see where the progression has taken Milroe to this point after an off performance at the National Combine in January

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1