Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The interesting nugget about aggy and priorities. Outside of paying Leal, Texas has dismantled aggy DL recruiting in the state.

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

image.jpeg.0aefd0f9f93c8dff7e3f0b8a3e6b3051.jpeg

People need to slow down on the Giles revisionist history. We’ve brought in some good talent recently, but Giles has still had plenty of misses including in the 2021 class. 
As always, HtownHorn is a horrible source for information and the head to head against aggy is getting more and more meaningless since they’re primarily OOS on the DL these days. Giles got solidly beat by Price for Wright and Brown in 2018. Those weren’t big misses in retrospect, but they were recruiting losses for Giles because the staff wanted them at the time.  

That led to taking Carson and Williams late. One guy was a grade/attrition risk form the start and isn’t in the team and the other hasn’t even come close to playing a meaningful snap in 3 years. 

We missed on a good amount of targets in 2019, most notably Leal, before finding Warren and grabbing Jacoby Jones late in the cycle. I’m optimistic on Warren, not so much on Jones and he’s already had some off field trouble.   Landing both Collins and Broughton in 2020 was huge. I find the SWG take pretty underwhelming, but 2020 was a success regardless.  Great job Giles.

We look like we’ll land good talent at DE in 2021, but Giles has already missed on 2 of our top 3 in-state targets at DE, so it’s not like he’s killing it on the trail so far this cycle. I will say that with the talent we have on the DL and the scheme change this year, a flip is possible once the season plays out.  
Overall, Giles has landed enough talent to succeed, and I think he’s a good coach of the position, but people have been getting a little carried away with Giles’ recruiting lately. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

People need to slow down on the Giles revisionist history. We’ve brought in some good talent recently, but Giles has still had plenty of misses including in the 2021 class. 
As always, HtownHorn is a horrible source for information and the head to head against aggy is getting more and more meaningless since they’re primarily OOS on the DL these days. Giles got solidly beat by Price for Wright and Brown in 2018. Those weren’t big misses in retrospect, but they were recruiting losses for Giles because the staff wanted them at the time.  

That led to taking Carson and Williams late. One guy was a grade/attrition risk form the start and isn’t in the team and the other hasn’t even come close to playing a meaningful snap in 3 years. 

We missed on a good amount of targets in 2019, most notably Leal, before finding Warren and grabbing Jacoby Jones late in the cycle. I’m optimistic on Warren, not so much on Jones and he’s already had some off field trouble.   Landing both Collins and Broughton in 2020 was huge. I find the SWG take pretty underwhelming, but 2020 was a success regardless.  Great job Giles.

We look like we’ll land good talent at DE in 2021, but Giles has already missed on 2 of our top 3 in-state targets at DE, so it’s not like he’s killing it on the trail so far this cycle. I will say that with the talent we have on the DL and the scheme change this year, a flip is possible once the season plays out.  
Overall, Giles has landed enough talent to succeed, and I think he’s a good coach of the position, but people have been getting a little carried away with Giles’ recruiting lately. 

Bobby Brown?  The only reason surly liked him was to use references of My Prerogative when posting. The Giles hatred was due to not getting Leal and Tatum running back to Norman.  I think the board also wanted Perkins too.

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The fact that he was able to recruit at all to Orlando’s dogshit scheme is a miracle.  Now he can point to the Utah demolition as a reason to play here.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Bobby Brown?  The only reason surly liked him was to use references of My Prerogative when posting. The Giles hatred was due to not getting Leal and Tatum running back to Norman.  I think the board also wanted Perkins too.

The staff offered and recruited Brown and missed on him. That’s all I was saying. He wasn’t great at the time or now, but it was a miss. Yeah, Perkins too, but I didn’t list him because he was OOS and we got in on his recruitment late, though I guess some of that could fall on Giles too. 

Anyways, I’m not saying Giles is a bad coach by any means. He’s good at coaching his position and has brought in enough talent to succeed, but there’s no denying he’s still had a good amount of misses, including this cycle. Missing on Smith and Jackson hurts, especially with Smith going to OU.  I’m still hopeful that the change in scheme will allow Giles’ coaching to show more and result in a big increase in DL production that might sway some of the recruiting battles out way. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

The fact that he was able to recruit at all to Orlando’s dogshit scheme is a miracle.  Now he can point to the Utah demolition as a reason to play here.

He can, and yet he’s still missed on 2 of his top 3 in state targets this cycle. Hopefully a full season of production in a 4 man front/not in a defense that focuses on blitzing safeties from 30 yards out will change that. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He can, and yet he’s still missed on 2 of his top 3 in state targets this cycle. Hopefully a full season of production in a 4 man front/not in a defense that focuses on blitzing safeties from 30 yards out will change that. 

The larger point on Giles is he isn't a recruiter that has an easy time controlling the narrative. When we do well, he does well. When we do poorly, he does poorly. Good relationship builder that has a hard time closing on team potential. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The larger point on Giles is he isn't a recruiter that has an easy time controlling the narrative. When we do well, he does well. When we do poorly, he does poorly. Good relationship builder that has a hard time closing on team potential. 

Yeah, that’s always been the case. It’s part of why I find Hagen such an underwhelming hire. Giles has shown he can coach the entire DL himself, so it would’ve been nice to bring in a rainmaker at DT coach next to him. Either way, DL requires a good technical coach and I think Giles fits that categorization, plus it’s not like he’s Todd Orlando as a recruiter, so he’s a plus for this staff. Hell, if you grade him on the curve of Herman’s assistant hires he’s elite. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Maybe I am forgetting something but Max Wright was never coming to Texas. IIRC he only took 1 visit (A&M) and his 247 profile says he only had 2 in homes - A&M and Saban.

Leal was a wild situation, and wasn't exactly "normal" - Hard to blame him for that either.

There are plenty of reasons to shit on Giles but Max Wright isn't one of them.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, that’s always been the case. It’s part of why I find Hagen such an underwhelming hire. Giles has shown he can coach the entire DL himself, so it would’ve been nice to bring in a rainmaker at DT coach next to him. Either way, DL requires a good technical coach and I think Giles fits that categorization, plus it’s not like he’s Todd Orlando as a recruiter, so he’s a plus for this staff. Hell, if you grade him on the curve of Herman’s assistant hires he’s elite. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8224886

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I don't understand what point y'all are trying to make on Giles. His 2 big losses this year have been to the defending national champion (coached by one of the best recruiters in college football history), and a team that has won our conference 5 straight times and been to the playoffs 3 straight.

"When we do well, he does well". Well....yeah. Is there a single recruiter in the entire country for whom that isn't true?

• Like 4

Just now, tokamak said:

I don't understand what point y'all are trying to make on Giles. His 2 big losses this year have been to the defending national champion (coached by one of the best recruiters in college football history), and a team that has won our conference 5 straight times and been to the playoffs 3 straight.

"When we do well, he does well". Well....yeah. Is there a single recruiter in the entire country for whom that isn't true?

and neither went to aggy, which was the point I made before it got Burt Macklin'd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The point is that the inverse is not true about Giles, and if you're going to crow about Giles the recruiter, you have to own the fact that he can't close when it's not going well. There are guys who can, and without bags. 

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

Maybe I am forgetting something but Max Wright was never coming to Texas. IIRC he only took 1 visit (A&M) and his 247 profile says he only had 2 in homes - A&M and Saban.

Leal was a wild situation, and wasn't exactly "normal" - Hard to blame him for that either.

There are plenty of reasons to shit on Giles but Max Wright isn't one of them.

I wasn’t shitting on him. HtownHorn claimed we were killing aggy in-state and the only miss was Leal.
I was setting the record straight that he wasn’t the only miss.  You can make plenty of caveats for Giles’ misses, just like you can make plenty of caveats for the guys he’s landed. 

You’re also drastically mischarcterizing Wright’s recruitment. The Texas staff recruited him hard, and he visited Texas multiple times. He was a red ass, and he was always likely going aggy, but it was still a miss. I never said it was a crushing blow or a terrible recruiting loss by Giles. 

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

You can’t be serious.  There are plenty of good recruiters who get guys to commit to schools that have less on-field success than their competitors.

Are you actually trying to say that you wouldn’t view it as underperformance by our staff if we lost every single recruiting battle we were in for in-state kids with Bama, OU, LSU, Ohio St, Clemson, UGA, etc.? 

Edited by Burt Macklin

IT: Nahlin - Talent and scheme align in the secondary

Feel free to bump this thread in a couple of months, just please give it longer to play out than the first 12-yard completion against the defense of the season. It’s Stronglando all over AGIN!

How do I know the defensive backfield is going to be good? Well, for one, Anthony Cook wasn’t going to start. While I never bought into his one-time five-star rating, I did rank him #10 in the 2018 class. He had a sophomore slump, but so did most of the secondary. Are they without talent? No, not at all. He would start for every other Big 12 team.

But the main reason I know the secondary is going to be good is all the players are in the right fits and have defining traits that will assuredly translate. Defining traits are what must translate from high school to college for a player to have a chance of reaching his potential. These traits typically translate whether a player is coached up or not. They set the player’s floor.

Albert Regis is a popular name on the board right now. His defining traits are absurd movement skills for a guy his size. He’ll have that whether he signs with Alabama, Texas, or Vanderbilt.

It’s true the secondary, and corners especially, were lacking technique last year. It’s also true they had too many mental breakdowns. Those issues won’t be nearly as prevalent, even after missing spring ball. I know this because Chris Ash isn’t going to ask too much of the group. He’s going to let them play to their strengths, and collectively as well as individually, there are a lot of strengths.

Defining Traits Matched to Scheme

Field Safety: JR Caden Sterns

Defining traits: Football IQ and range. The Sterns evaluation was clear as day. He‘s highly instinctive with excellent range and coverage skills. His fluidity reaches corner levels.

From the May 28th Gameplan:

“The field safety position in this defense is a coverage-intensive position. If the defense wants to blitz the nickel (or the “spur” in this defense), the field safety needs to be able to drop down and play man or match coverage on the slot. If the defense wants to involve the spur aggressively into the run fit then the safety needs to be able to pick up receivers in space on RPOs and play-action. He also needs to be able to navigate deep space, maintain good positioning on multiple routes, read the quarterback’s eyes, break on and play the ball, flip his hips, etc.“

Sterns has the range, versatility, and brains for field safety. While the position plays to his strengths, it also plays away from his weakness of being a downhill player. Last year he showed improvement in that regard, however.

Boundary Safety: SR Chris Brown OR JR BJ Foster

Defining traits for Brown: Character/football character, quickness, fearlessness, and physicality.

Defining traits for Foster: Ability to run and hit. Closing ability. Physicality.

Gameplan:

“The boundary safety position uses more downhill angles. He lines up on the hash and is potentially more active in run support than the spur at times while fitting the ball from over the top rather than laterally from the hash. In coverage he’s going to be sitting on routes over the top and closing downhill as well. He won’t flip his hips as often as the field safety or spur and he has less space to navigate as a result of playing to the short side of the field.“

This is another example of not only playing to strengths but also shielding from weakness. The boundary safety has the most accommodating coverage responsibilities in the secondary. We know both Brown and Foster will play the ball urgently and violently in front of them but aren’t the best 1 on 1 in coverage.

That written, I think Foster has some untapped upside in coverage in this role. We haven’t seen him get consistent reps at a set position. We may not see that this year, either, if Foster is also needed to rep at nickel. I’d hate to see Foster punished for his versatility like Joseph Ossai was last year.

Spur/Nickel: SO Chris Adimora

Defining traits: Fluidity and versatility. Adimora’s tape was much more impressive than his measurables. He replaced Demani Richardson in the class, but his fit ultimately replaced Jalen Catalon’s. Nickel potential was part of the evaluation.

Gameplan:

“The spur works with lateral angles in the run game, balancing duties on the hash mark with some responsibility for tending the edge or even the B-gap depending on the offensive alignment. The spur also finds himself covering the slot laterally and underneath, potentially carrying verticals as well. Lateral agility, quick reactions, and physicality are the name of the game here.”

Adimora’s true defining trait is probably the cliched “pure football player.” I say that because he made his share of off-schedule plays last year, as well as correcting his own mistakes mid-play. Regardless of the scheme, nickel is a difficult physical and mental load. It requires processing and play speed that I think you either have or you don’t. Along with his fluidity in coverage I think that’s what makes Adimora a great fit for the difficult assignment.

Corner: JR D’Shawn Jamison, JR Jalen Green, JR Josh Thompson, RS FR Kenyatta Watson

Defining traits for Jamison: Raw athleticism and playmaking. A true SPARQ plug. Jamison had Adoree’ Jackson at USC written all over him.

Defining traits for Green: Physicality for press coverage. I overrated his fluidity coming out of high school but he’ll still be able to get the job done thanks to his physicality at the line and ability to run. (He never timed well but I don’t know anyone who thought he was truly a 4.69 40 guy)

Defining traits for Thompson: Speed and versatility. He put out fantastic tape his senior year after he moved to safety following Brandon Jones’ departure for Texas. He’s been moved around in his time in Austin but the new staff is very intrigued by his potential at corner. That stems from his ability to turn and run.

Defining traits for Watson: Coverage. He’s twitchy, long, and physical. Once his technique catches up he’ll be a complete corner. He just needs reps.

I’m more bullish than Ian on the corners. I think Jamison turns into someone they feel comfortable putting on an island. He’ll still make a miscalculated gamble here and there — that’s in his football DNA — but with just modest significant technical improvement he’ll emerge as one of the top corners in the country. Beware the double move, D’Shawn.

Lance Zierlein wrote this about Jeff Gladney. He’ll be writing something very similar for Jamison’s eventual draft capsule: “Press cover irritant who plays an extremely competitive brand of football from snap to whistle. He has the twitch and route anticipation to stay close. Possesses ball skills to contest a good percentage of throws. His coverage traits should allow him to thrive in man or zone, but his desire to make every play on the ball could lead him into occasional bait-and-switch traps by smart quarterbacks. He’s slender so teams will need to decide whether to play him outside or in sub-packages, but no matter where he plays, this ball-hawking alpha has the talent to help his team on all three downs if needed.“

There will be intense competition for the second corner position. While Green has the physicality, you have to marry that to fundamentals at the line otherwise you’re playing catch-up. That’s where we’ll find out about his speed. I think his speed is better than advertised, however.

Jay Valai will work tirelessly to get Thompson and Watson competing to start. At one point Thompson was the fastest player on the team as measured by MPH. Speed and athleticism are there, though reps are missing somewhat.

Watson showed vast improvement within the season last year while preserving his redshirt. Based on what we’ve heard, it wouldn’t surprise us if he’s competing for real snaps this season. His length will come in handy when pressing, but his feet and quickness are that of a smaller player. That’s where corners truly win.

Closing

We know the baseline talent is high in the secondary. That’s one reason to be excited about the group, but what stands out to me is how well the pieces fit together and fit the scheme. That has always been what excites me the most about the Chris Ash hire, and it extends beyond the defensive backfield. The secondary is guaranteed to be better than last year. If the coaching is just ‘good‘, the secondary will be great.*

*when adjusted for Big 12 play

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You can’t be serious.  There are plenty of good recruiters who get guys to commit to schools that have less on-field success than their competitors.

Are you actually trying to say that you wouldn’t view it as underperformance by our staff if we lost every single recruiting battle we were in for in-state kids with Bama, LSU, Ohio St, Clemson, UGA, etc.?

No, never said that. Like you said, every recruiting win or loss can be justified somehow. I think we all agree that there are lots and lots of factors that go into each recruit's decision other than the relationship with their primary recruiter. You and Ricky's one-hitter both seem very confident that there are other coaches out there who are doing better than Giles while facing similar headwinds. I didn't know that, which is why I asked, so I'll take your word for it.

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Physically, he looks like Kendall Jones 2.0.  That excites me.

That was my immediate first thought as well. Hope it turns out a little better.

Also, I think Jones was pretty tall though. Hard to tell 'cuz of the perspective, but judging from the other guy and the garage door, Regis sure doesn't look like he's any shorter than his listed 6'1".

Just watched Ike Iwunnah’s hudl. There’s not a lot of clips, but you can see the athleticism and potential. I do always wonder when a guy’s highlights are that short what his play looks like snap to snap, but I haven’t watched opponents’ hudl to find out yet. 

He gets low in his stance with a flat back, which is already good sign for a 6’4 guy. He doesn’t consistently explode out of his stance like you’d want to see, but he shows glimpses of being able to do it. If you watch the last play on his Rowlett clip, he stays low, fires off the line, and drives his blocker back with freakish speed. He’s extremely raw technically, but he’s got the frame to handle 300+ with ease and you can see the kind of athleticism that’s supported by his triple jump results in his play. He’s the kind of 3 star you want to take. Extremely high ceiling. 

I certainly wouldn’t mind getting the Lakeview Centennial trio of him, Oyetade, and Wheaton.  But each of those guys looks like a take in their own right. 

6 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Physically, he looks like Kendall Jones 2.0.  That excites me.

Yeah, he looks like a beast. Thankfully, he shows the functional athleticism to go with it. Jones looked like that his sophomore year, but there were already concerns about him getting too big and lacking flexibility/agility that early. Regis looks like that and moves like a skill position player. 

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

You need to take that calm reasoned BS the fuck on outta here. We only do hysterics and doom and gloom round here

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Just watched Ike Iwunnah’s hudl. There’s not a lot of clips, but you can see the athleticism and potential. I do always wonder when a guy’s highlights are that short what his play looks like snap to snap, but I haven’t watched opponents’ hudl to find out yet. 

He gets low in his stance with a flat back, which is already good sign for a 6’4 guy. He doesn’t consistently explode out of his stance like you’d want to see, but he shows glimpses of being able to do it. If you watch the last play on his Rowlett clip, he stays low, fires off the line, and drives his blocker back with freakish speed. He’s extremely raw technically, but he’s got the frame to handle 300+ with ease and you can see the kind of athleticism that’s supported by his triple jump results in his play. He’s the kind of 3 star you want to take. Extremely high ceiling. 

I certainly wouldn’t mind getting the Lakeview Centennial trio of him, Oyetade, and Wheaton.  But each of those guys looks like a take in their own right. 

Here’s a gif of the Rowlett play I was talking about. He’s the DT lined up closest to the camera. That’s really good leverage and explosiveness for a 6’4 DL. 

46780z.gif

• Like 2