Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Supposedly Cade sometimes falls off the map (even with coaches recruiting him), which I think is why sometimes there are stretches where he’s hardly mentioned across recruiting sites for various teams 

Yeah. I think he's just kind of an introverted/quiet kid. That was my early impression when he was first being recruited at Texas. 

54 minutes ago, futureman said:

Hughes was built like a day one draft pick.  just wasn’t a great football player. 

As a high school prospect Hughes was listed at 6'4" and 211. Alexander is listed at 6'5" and 215. Alexander may not fill out to 250+ like Hughes, but as prospects they have a strong physical resemblance (no katfid)...that said the comment was primarily directed at the looking lost on the field commentary.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, golfclap said:

I always worry about shorter guys that are long striders. It's hard to be a precise route runner that way -- he can absolutely run and might flourish in a Briles type offense with a lot of verticals, so maybe he'd work as a member of this class for Yurcich but I'm not sold and each time I see him work out or with Flex I feel like he's limited. 

Hattersly from aggy247 just posted this vid of JJ working out ... 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/jj-henry-workout/

Circling back after your post, it does appear that he's almost exclusively getting open on deep routes; don't see many traditional chain moving slot routes (I don't think I saw one zone beater). He does have some slick stutter step and euro step moves off the line of scrimmage that show his short area athleticism, although you'd have to project that to the slot since there's not much evidence of him actually don't it based on the hudl. I do like his hands and ability to track the ball 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Did Floyd stay in Austin or did he go back home after it was determined that his football career was over?

Last info that I saw...

And found a retweet...

G-kud-f3_bigger.jpg.    Kyle Umlang.    @kyleumlang

Longhorn Nation....I've been swayed. This just makes too much sense for the 2020 #CFB season. I'm officially on board. #ThisIsTexas #HookEm #WeAreOne

Edited by LTtxfan

Found this in a retweet from DeGabriel Floyd

Marcus Washington

Humidor:  "Marcus Washington has been staying with his brother in Arizona working out with a trainer. He looks fantastic and the staff has high hopes for the RS freshman."

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Just checked the degree verification portal, and it shows he's still enrolled.

I’m rooting for this dude big time. Anyone who stretches out of their comfort zone to do something like come to Texas from the West Coast deserves our respect and support. Hook’Em.
  • Like 8

LSU mock class predictions 

Shea

QB: Garrett Nussmeier

RB: Corey Kiner, Logan Diggs

WR: Deion Smith, JoJo Earle, Brian Thomas, Chris Hilton

TE: Michael Diggs, Shield Taylor

OL: Garrett Dellinger, Tristan Leigh, Owen Prentice

DL: Anthony Hundley, Landon Jackson, Zavier Carter, Saivion Jones, Maason Smith, Keanu Kolt, Naquan Brown

LB: Raesjon Davis, Prince Kollie

DB: Khari Gee, Sage Ryan, Nathaniel Wiggins, Andrew Mukuba

Sonny

RB: Corey Kiner, Ke'Travion Hargrove

TE: Shield Taylor

OL: Garrett Dellinger, Tristan Leigh, Savion Byrd

DL: Anthony Hundley, Landon Jackson, Zavier Carter, Saivion Jones, Maason Smith, Keanu Kolt

LB: Raesjon Davis, Naquan Brown, Greg Penn III

DB: Khari Gee, Sage Ryan, Jardin Gilbert

P: Peyton Todd

Interesting that neither has a Texas RB, or an interior OL mocked

6 hours ago, NoName said:

Texas WR with a 50 catch season in recent history:

• 19 Duvernay (106)
  • 18 LJH (86)
  • 18 Collin Johnson (68)
  • 17 C Johnson (54)
  • 14 John Harris (68)
  • 14 Jaxon Shipley (59)
  • 13 J Shipley (56)
  • 13 Mike Davis (51)
  • 12 J Shipley (59)
  • 12 M Davis (57)
  • 10 James Kirkendoll (52)
  • 09 Jordan Shipley (116)

I know they pick numbers out of the air all the time but if Tarik Black has 60 catches next year he is going to have one of the top 5 catches by a Longhorn in the last 10 years and one of the top 10 seasons by a WR in the last 10 years (excluding Kirkendoll who had 2 TDs, 13 Shipley who had 1, and 14 Shipley who had 1)

So if he busts out 50 catches he is one of the best WR in the last 10 years at Texas and the best Grad Transfer in the last who knows how many years?

...come on.

Now name the guys who were throwing the passes from 2010-16.

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

So I just watched D'Marion Alexander's HUDLs. If you want to see a massive leap in a player year-over-year - watching him as a Soph where he's tentative, slow to react, passive really vs. his Junior highlights where he is clearly the best player on the field by a long way and is just decisive and explosive, is pretty remarkable. He can absolutely get to the QB despite a complete lack of technique. It also very much explains the super early Rhule offer. He's barely scratching the surface of what he's going to be. I would love to get some concrete measurements and testing numbers on him. I don't know if he's a take or if it indicates a miss elsewhere or anything like that - but seeing his improvement over a season, I do understand. 

He kind of shuffles when he runs, but I did notice him running down that Waco Connally RB that signed with Washington, so he's apparently a fast shuffler.  Also, what was with that 4-5 play clip that looked like his 9th grade (?) team spliced in?

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Last info that I saw...

And found a retweet...

G-kud-f3_bigger.jpg.    Kyle Umlang.    @kyleumlang

Longhorn Nation....I've been swayed. This just makes too much sense for the 2020 #CFB season. I'm officially on board. #ThisIsTexas #HookEm #WeAreOne

The couple who ...whatd they say. Not his parents. But they are that to him, moved to Austin. So I'd imagine Austin is his home now regardless

LSU mock class predictions 

Shea
RB: Corey Kiner, Logan Diggs
TE: Michael Diggs, Shield Taylor
OL: Garrett Dellinger, Tristan Leigh, Owen Prentice
DL: Anthony Hundley, Landon Jackson, Zavier Carter, Saivion Jones, Maason Smith, Keanu Kolt, Naquan Brown
LB: Raesjon Davis, Prince Kollie
DB: Khari Gee, Sage Ryan, Nathaniel Wiggins, Andrew Mukuba

Sonny
RB: Corey Kiner, Ke'Travion Hargrove
TE: Shield Taylor
OL: Garrett Dellinger, Tristan Leigh, Savion Byrd
DL: Anthony Hundley, Landon Jackson, Zavier Carter, Saivion Jones, Maason Smith, Keanu Kolt
LB: Raesjon Davis, Naquan Brown, Greg Penn III
DB: Khari Gee, Sage Ryan, Jardin Gilbert
P: Peyton Todd

Interesting that neither has a Texas RB, or an interior OL mocked

Errbody.

This is some of the ballsiest, overstuffed shot I have ever seen. It’s not even...it’s not even hinting at objectivity. Just, we won the natty, errbody, fin.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Errbody.

This is some of the ballsiest, overstuffed shot I have ever seen. It’s not even...it’s not even hinting at objectivity. Just, we won the natty, errbody, fin.

Which ones are particularly ballsy? Mukuba seems unlikely, but who else stood out?

26 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Marcel Brooks, 5* linebacker at LSU, is now in the portal...wants to come closer to home:              247 said to look at TCU if he does actually leave.

Are we in on him at all...?

We don't want to be in on him for good reason.

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Leech is getting some pretty good recruits, better than at his previous stops.  High rated QB, 4* WR in Knox and looks like will add another from Louisiana.  Also has 2 of the top 10 rated JUCO rated players for this class.

It's hard to hate Mike Leach, high quality entertainment all around 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What's the story on this kid?  Rivals has him as a 2*.  86 on 247.

Seems his folks are friends with Hand per a Mike Roach article a few days back:

Myslinski has been talking with Herb Hand for a few years. His parents are family friends with the Texas offensive line coach, and the two have created a bond.

“He really likes how I play and how I finish my blocks,” Myslinski said. “He’s been recruiting me ever since my sophomore year, so I have a great bond with him. He’s definitely one of my favorite coaches.”

On 6/26/2020 at 3:49 PM, lazygringo said:

The dude is 6"5' so he's seemingly been playing out of position quite a lot. If he adds weight, I wouldn't mind having him as an edge rusher. I'm guessing that is where he projects?

listed as an OLB on 247 as his position but 247 composite and 247sports have him as a WDE

Rivals and ESPN have him as an OLB

2 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

PWO?

Ideally, but no. Offers are better than that.

He's a take if we miss on the Brocks and take Ezra Oyetade as a guard. Ezra is listed as a center and would be the center take if we hit on another guard, but the only guards with offers left on the board are Cade and Foster, so the former is more likely. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Oregon has been doing a good job of putting OL in the draft, plus Cristobal is an OL guy. If the Oregon offer is real, is a good barometer of the quality of the kid.

Low ranking prospects with good to great offers are usually a result of conflicting evals and the services needing to adjust. Less often, prospects are considered as a result of affiliation and when that happens, it's usually because the affiliation contributes to lowering risk. Myslinski is the latter. A low risk prospect with a high floor created by an NFL S&C regimen. I'm not an OL tape grader by any stretch, but what I've read from those that are is basically, meh. Could be worse. I don't think a Cristobal offer tells us anything new in this instance. 

Speaking of...

Scoop

Spoiler

By: Joe Cook and Justin Wells

Notes, quotes, and all the latest while catching up with a Texas targets from 2021, 2022, and 2023 in Monday's Scoopage.

MICHAEL MYSLINSKI

The Jacksonville, Florida native made his way to Austin recently. He's been on the road again like Willie Nelson despite COVID shutting down official and unofficial college visits.

At 6-foot-2, 285-pound Bishop Kenny HS three-star with 26 offers is making road trips during a pandemic. He's determined to find the right place, and I admire his determination. He really enjoys recruiting, apparently.

It’s been great," said Myslinski. "Ever since I got my first P5 offer from Louisville, my recruitment has really taken off. I’m honored to have all these opportunities to go to college and get a degree while playing the best sport in the world."

The list of schools he's looking closely at is solid to strong. He visited the ATX last weekend and it looking forward to more trips.

"Well, besides Texas of course, I’ve already visited Louisville, USF, Georgia Southern, and FSU," Myslinski said. "I’m planning trips to more schools. I went to Maryland and Duke this weekend, and soon after that I will go to Missouri, Michigan State, and Iowa."

He's still unsure what he's looking for in a college program, but it won't be from a lack of due diligence.

"I’m not totally sure what I’m looking for in a program but what I do know is that I want to have a great connection with the offensive coach and the strength coach," said Myslinski. "Because as an offensive lineman, I will spend the majority of my time with them."

Herb Hand and Yancy McKnight can handle that. And they've already made a nice impression.

"I absolutely love Texas," Myslinski said. "It’s an awesome place to live and the support the football team gets is amazing! I love coach Hand, coach Yurcich, coach Herman, and the rest of the staff. Definitely one of my top schools."

He wants to enjoy his senior season, so a decision could come in July. UT has others on the radar, notably James Brockermeyer, and a pulse on another in Ezra Oyetade. But it's always good to have options, especially in this crazy cycle.

ANTHONY BLACK

Texas Basketball continued its offer spree this weekend with the verbal invitation to 2022 Coppell rising star, Anthony Black.

You'll note we mentioned Black in the Prospects Thread recently because of his dual-sport nature. When the 6-foot-5, 180-pound wide receiver and point forward is receiving legitimate looks at both sports, you tend to take notice.

“I'm really enjoying getting to know the coaches so far," said Black. "It's early but it's cool getting to know the coaches and building a genuine relationship. Texas is an elite program and I've talked with coach Smart a couple times. I like him a lot and am very thankful he gave me the offer.“

It's not just UT. Texas Tech, TCU, and Saint Louis all offered within the last 24 hours. And there will be more. The combo guard has great handles and a nice jumper to his game.

Black can play multiple sports at the next level, but won’t. Despite almost 900 yards and nine touchdowns last year, he'll enjoy his high school career on the gridiron and basketball court, but then focus on hoops in college. He says it's easier to limit injuries long-term, and I believe his heart is on the court.

Texas' coach Smart has been very active this offseason after inking Greg Brown III, the most important recruit of his tenure on the Forty Acres. Black might be a tough pull from Baylor right now, but the UT staff has time to fix that.

JAEDAN GOULD

Tom Herman might be hunting on Jimbo Fisher's lease in New Jersey for the next 2022 prospect.

At 6-foot-2, 190, the Bergen Catholic (Oradell, NJ) cornerback holds 24 offers already, notably Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, West Virginia, and Penn State. Texas extending its reach to the east coast might yield some returns at some point.

“The recruiting process has been great," said Gould. "I’m definitely blessed and thankful for all the opportunities that’s I’ve received so far and all the coaches that believe in me on and off the field.“

A few schools seem to stand out early for the potential four-star prospect.

“Texas, USC, and Tennessee are all schools that I haven’t visited, but they have really been recruiting me hard through out this pandemic," Gould said. "I’m looking for a school that is going to help me excel on and off the field and that is going to develop me to become the best player I can possibly be and get to the next level.“

Texas CB coach Jay Valai is planting seeds with the next cycle's top defensive backs, regardless of location.

“I definitely like Texas a lot," said Gould. "I obviously have known coach Chris Ash for a while since he offered me when he was the head coach at Rutgers, and I’m just starting to build a relationship with coach Valai recently, but I feel like I’ve known him forever. His energy and passion is something I like and he’s always 100% whether it’s on the phone or on the field.”

The 2022 in-state crop of corners is long and distinguished. Denver Harris, Jaylon Guilbeau, Austin Jordan, and Bobby Taylor come to mind. But I like seeing UT proactive in this manner, because Gould is a ball player and this program needs more of that.

He wants to see Austin this fall, Lord willing.

QUICK NOTE

China Spring DE/OLB D'Marion Alexander de-committed from Minnesota last week. The three-star is in contact with the Texas staff.

He says he's hearing from a lot of schools, notably the Horns. "Texas is working on something big and that's all I'll say," Alexander told IT.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pounder and relative of Quan Cosby holds nine offers including TCU, Kansas, Arizona State, and Texas Tech.

Texas has some interest, but right now I would only call it a contingency on a contingency. Alexander plays a position with plenty of options in-state for 2021.

KADEN SAUNDERS

Inside Texas readers were introduced to 2022 Westerville (OH) South WR Kaden Saunders just over a year ago. The speedy Ohioan has a longstanding personal connection with Stan Drayton, and that personal connection became a full-fledged recruiting connection just under three weeks ago.

“It was actually Coach Drayton and Coach (Andre) Coleman,” Saunders said. “They got in contact with my dad and my coach. I had a phone call with Coach Coleman that morning, and he told me I had an offer. He put me on the phone with Coach Drayton, and he told me that he knew it was coming at some point. It felt great to finally get an offer from them. That’s one I’ve been wanting since my visit my freshman year. Texas is such a great program. It was a big one from me.”

Texas joined Arizona State, Notre Dame, Michigan, West Virginia, Penn State, Indiana, and TCU as some of the schools that have issued an offer before Saunders’ junior season. Those schools made up his recent top seven, which is still open to change.

TCU – “When they offered me, it’s just been all love from TCU.”

PSU – “They obviously want me pretty bad. They say I’m one of their top priorities in my class.”

Michigan – “They’ve been one of the schools I’ve talked to most, as well. Coach (Ed) Warinber, we catch up every week.”

ND – “They’re on my list because they’re one of the best academic schools I have an offer from. They produce good players on and off the field.”

ASU – “Ever since then, me and Coach (Prentice) Gill have been in contact about once or twice a week catching up, telling him how my workouts are going. I even played him in Madden. He beat me.”

WVU – “They show me as a priority in the 2022 class.”

Indiana – “I like Coach (Grant) Heard a lot. He knows his stuff. He coached DK Metcalf and AJ Brown when he was at Ole Miss.”

At 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, Saunders doesn’t just excel on the football field. He plays baseball too, and spoke with Inside Texas following a Prep Baseball Report event in Georgia. So far, most of his communication has been with football coaches as opposed to baseball coaches. Notre Dame, Indiana, and West Virginia have discussed the possibility of playing both with him.

“Right now, I’m playing really well this summer,” Saunders said. “If I keep playing like this, I don’t see a reason to stop playing.”

Still, Texas has maintained communication with Saunders for a long time due to his close connection with Drayton. Now, Coleman is building on that connection. He’s told Saunders about the benefits of a UT degree.

“Texas is Texas,” Saunders said. “There’s so much to do out there. Their alumni base is one of the biggest in the country. If you graduate from Texas, you’re pretty much guaranteed to come out with a nice job based off their alumni base.”

With the NCAA extending the recruiting dead period until August 31, Saunders and all prospects are limited to FaceTime and Zoom calls with coaches. When things open up?

“I’ll just play it out and take my visits as soon as I’m able to,” Saunders said.

• Like 3