Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 6/9/2020 at 11:04 AM, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve talked about it before, but his arm motion is basically perfect. Quick release with power and no wasted motion every time. On top of that, he has an incredible arm. The only thing he really needs to work on is avoiding over-striding before the throw and keeping his plant foot closed and towards the target. He opens it up way too much, which makes it so he can’t fully drive off his back foot, because doing so would drive his body away from the throw. When you watch his back foot drive in his throws, you can see a lot of inconsistency. Sometimes he’s not even pushing off his back foot until the ball’s almost out. RoJo also struggled with syncing up his weight transfer to power his throws in HS. 

This forces him to generate all his power from upper body torque and arm Movement. He has a good enough arm to get away with that, but the thing that suffers when you do that is accuracy and consistency in motion, which is evidenced by him completing only 56% and 61.8% of his passes the last two years, which is low for a top 100 QB prospect. 

Im not very concerned about it, because he’s shown improvement over the last year, and it’s something that can be fixed at the next level, especially since he should be getting a redshirt year. He actually shows some of the best form I’ve seen from him in this video, which is good to see, but if you look at the very last throw at :53, you can see the problem. Once he starts moving and muscle memory kicks in, he takes too big of a stride with his plant foot and his foot is way to the left of where he’s throwing. He needs to dial in his stride and direction of his plant foot so he can get full drive off his back foot every throw and then his accuracy will improve.  

Hudson Card’s actually a great example of the right mechanics. If you watch his videos, his feet are always shoulder width apart in his stance and he plants and drives in one fluid motion with almost identical strides very time. He’s also got the timing of his movements down perfectly so his back foot push powers his throwing motion every time and he releases the ball extremely quick. 

That is a low fucking bar. lol.

I do think Milroe’s a great prospect and he’s absolutely got the athleticism to fix his footwork and become more accurate. You’d way rather have a guy who needs or improve his footwork than Re-do his entire throwing motion. 

Forgive me, but is this by design?

• Like 1

Rogers is keeping his plant foot closed and it's clearly something Milroe is working on, as noted in the previous videos and in the example from Stanfield that @Burt Macklin and I discussed a bit. A lot of QBs play middle infield in baseball and you can often see them open too early and too far with the plant foot. -- note the first few throws in the Milroe video again. If you look at his plant foot it is out or away from the target. you see this a lot with max effort fastball pitchers as they get tired and then they begin to miss up and in because their plant foot is dumping out.

Look at Milroe on those examples - the left foot is out and actually pointing away from the intended target, so his arm and shoulder will have to do much more work delivering this throw. Note the plant foot for Rodgers - in front of the body, in balance, and creating a perfect pivot point - toe -> - hip -> torso rotation. 

Screen-Shot-2020-06-30-at-2-56-31-PM.png

to quote myself from before  ::

You can tell that in the early part of the video that he is working on rotating with his upper body. Note that he is focused on lead shoulder and rotation to throwing shoulder - looking out over his finish arm and holding an exaggerated finish. The issue is that during this work, his base (his feet) are way too wide during these reps. It makes it much harder to rotate, his hips, and forces the arm and shoulder to do more work because the legs aren't carrying their share. You want them to be just over shoulder width -- which he does and you can see in the later throws where he gets into "football" mode as opposed to "learning" mode. 

Note the front foot in the later "football" mode throws :: 

Screen-Shot-2020-06-30-at-3-02-22-PM.png

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Pretty sure he will commit to Texas on the 3rd, but will have to be recruited through the whistle. Even if Oregon is out, Colorado and ASU are both after him heavy. Hell of a haul for Ash and Valai at DB especially if we can land Mukuba

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Pretty sure he will commit to Texas on the 3rd, but will have to be recruited through the whistle. Even if Oregon is out, Colorado and ASU are both after him heavy. Hell of a haul for Ash and Valai at DB especially if we can land Mukuba

can Ash and Valai start recruting OL?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Rogers is keeping his plant foot closed and it's clearly something Milroe is working on, as noted in the previous videos and in the example from Stanfield that @Burt Macklin and I discussed a bit. A lot of QBs play middle infield in baseball and you can often see them open too early and too far with the plant foot. -- note the first few throws in the Milroe video again. If you look at his plant foot it is out or away from the target. you see this a lot with max effort fastball pitchers as they get tired and then they begin to miss up and in because their plant foot is dumping out.

Look at Milroe on those examples - the left foot is out and actually pointing away from the intended target, so his arm and shoulder will have to do much more work delivering this throw. Note the plant foot for Rodgers - in front of the body, in balance, and creating a perfect pivot point - toe -> - hip -> torso rotation. 

You can tell that in the early part of the video that he is working on rotating with his upper body. Note that he is focused on lead shoulder and rotation to throwing shoulder - looking out over his finish arm and holding an exaggerated finish. The issue is that during this work, his base (his feet) are way too wide during these reps. It makes it much harder to rotate, his hips, and forces the arm and shoulder to do more work because the legs aren't carrying their share. You want them to be just over shoulder width -- which he does and you can see in the later throws where he gets into "football" mode as opposed to "learning" mode. 

Boss. We need a film school thread.

20 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Forgive me, but is this by design?

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yeah, I think the original guy tweeting is talking about creating rotational torque as opposed to focusing on direct forward momentum.  The popping off the front foot is because you’re creating torque with your body as opposed to taking a large plant step, which is flat footed, and then trying to get all your power from pushing your whole body forward, which is definitely a slower process that will lead to a slower release. Clearly Milroe is being taught by Stanfield to emulate this motion, which will lead to the front foot being a tad bit more open, but there are still mechanical flaws with Milroe’s throwing. 

I agree with golfclap on Milroe’s  front foot, because you can’t create torque if your plant foot and front shoulder are already open, and the problems I see with his throws are when he uses all arm, because he’s not utilizing the rest of his body on the throw, be it through forward momentum or torque. Milroe also overstrides fairly often, which doesn’t allow him to create as much torque on his throws. 

Stanfield’s video has a couple clips of Hudson Card, and his reps are a better example of what it should look like than what we’ve seen from Milroe. 

56 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Agreed, especially as a kid who has never set foot on campus.  Bud Elliot has done a lot of good work noting the totally abnormal amount of commitments that have happened to this point compared to other years.