Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If we seriously brought Yurcich in just to run the same offense, Herman will have been wasting everyone's time.

Yurcich can and should be given leeway to run his own offensive scheme. Otherwise he'll be about as useful as Tim Beck was last year,

I think Burt's point is that Yurcich and Herman run the same smashmouth spread.  The offense isn't changing - though the game-planning and play-calling most certainly are.

• Like 5

Herman's offensive playbook has most of everything from the high flying offenses we all love to watch. The issues were vanilla gameplans and conservative playcalling. Yurcich will mostly run plays within Herman's offense, plays which mostly appear in the other big time offenses, with some tweaks. But he'll gameplan better and attempt to actually win with x's and o's, which Herman has always believed were less important than imposing our will. 

The 2021 draft happens after the Brocks sign. There will be more current mock drafts, but how Cosmi plays against LSU and OU, and more than that, how the team does in those games, will ultimately determine whether or not we flip them from Bama. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

To be fair, Connor Williams was assumed to be a first-round LT in pretty much every mock draft before the season started. I hate defending Satya, but I had the same thought about presuming Cosmi to be a first-round pick before he's played a snap of his Jr season. I should expect it though because counting chickens before they hatch is just a thing that our fanbase does. 

I was only talking about the bolded part. 

18 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I think this is an understatement. I think the scheme will be a lot different. I think it will be more multiple, focused on vertically attacking the defense.

Do you think Y's scheme is the same as Herman's? Or do you think Herman will force Yurcich to use Herman's offense?

I’m not convinced Herman is going to let go fully, and while Yurcich does attack more vertically, he still runs a zone-based scheme with a ton of similarities to Herman’s so with the same offensive HC, still a similar zone-based scheme, and the same OL coach, I don’t see a whole lot of adjustments or significant changes for the OL that would meaningfully alter Cosmi’s performance. 

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If we seriously brought Yurcich in just to run the same offense, Herman will have been wasting everyone's time.

Yurcich can and should be given leeway to run his own offensive scheme. Otherwise he'll be about as useful as Tim Beck was last year,

Again, Yurcich and Herman’s systems aren’t drastically different, especially not from a blocking technique perspective. 

Also, you’re full of shit, Herman should and may give Yurcich full control, but even if he doesn’t, having Yurcich  game plan and call plays within Herman’s offense would still be a massive upgrade over Beck. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

To be fair, Connor Williams was assumed to be a first-round LT in pretty much every mock draft before the season started. I hate defending Satya, but I had the same thought about presuming Cosmi to be a first-round pick before he's played a snap of his Jr season. I should expect it though because counting chickens before they hatch is just a thing that our fanbase does. 

To be fair, no one watching this team ever thought Connor was a 1st round LT.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Connor also missed 7 games that season.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Connor also missed 7 games that season.

The two things I remember about Connor's last year are playing terrible against Maryland, and playing great while injured against WVU 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not convinced Herman is going to let go fully, and while Yurcich does attack more vertically, he still runs a zone-based scheme with a ton of similarities to Herman’s so with the same offensive HC, still a similar zone-based scheme, and the same OL coach, I don’t see a whole lot of adjustments or significant changes for the OL that would meaningfully alter Cosmi’s performance. 

That's fair. And I agree with respect to Cosmi.

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

"It's been 3 whole long weeks and 100 years of things have not yet been wiped off the earth!"

And I wouldn't say that Maya Moore "sat out." She was actually getting shit done. Hope you do the same, 'Shown. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

"It's been 3 whole long weeks and 100 years of things have not yet been wiped off the earth!"

A lot of those things they mentioned should have been wiped off the earth about 3 whole decades ago. Asking for a little urgency now isn’t the worst thing...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ryno said:

A lot of those things they mentioned should have been wiped off the earth about 3 whole decades ago. Asking for a little urgency now isn’t the worst thing...

It'd be fine if it were only up to CDC, or Tomothy. It's not. Logistically three weeks just isn't a lot. Would be interesting to know what the players are being told. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

It'd be fine if it were only up to CDC, or Tomothy. It's not. Logistically three weeks just isn't a lot. Would be interesting to know what the players are being told. 

I'd more interested in hearing what Overshown heard. Communicating across multiple demographics (age, race, etc) can morph even a direct message. We need to be actively trying to understand how the message is being received. Genuine intentions mean nothing if they're seen as disingenuous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryno said:

I don't disagree but CDC's kinda got his hands full trying to figure out how to host a football season in the middle of a pandemic

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I'd more interested in hearing what Overshown heard. Communicating across multiple demographics (age, race, etc) can morph even a direct message. We need to be actively trying to understand how the message is being received. Genuine intentions mean nothing if they're seen as disingenuous.

Very true.

To me, reading his statement a few times, it seems like he's just upset nothing has happened yet, and is making his play to force change. Wish we knew more. 

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I don't disagree but CDC's kinda got his hands full trying to figure out how to host a football season in the middle of a pandemic

Not only that, but CDC can't do a whole lot himself. Boosters will be involved, the University. It goes beyond the athletic department. 

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Not only that, but CDC can't do a whole lot himself. Boosters will be involved, the University. It goes beyond the athletic department. 

If the big boosters have even close to the zero-to-butthurt speed of Blake Brockermeyer, I'm sure they'll handle being pressured really well.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Quick, somebody fire up Parks and Rec on Hulu. We need to screen it for the team as an introduction to the wonderful world of government/bureaucracy. Seriously though, this was always going to move slower than they wanted.

• Like 2

Very true.

To me, reading his statement a few times, it seems like he's just upset nothing has happened yet, and is making his play to force change. Wish we knew more. 

They need to publicly announce the statues coming down and which buildings can be renamed quickly. They also need to tell the band to learn the Gucci Mane trap Eyes, now. It's been 3 weeks. This is not hard. Had they already done that, they could have bought time to deal with the rest. Doing nothing buys no time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Why are the two guys on the team who always make big sweeping "well then I'm not playing" statements also our two starting LBs? Sigh.

I'm impressed that Overshown is willing to use his voice and possibly a year or more of his NCAA eligibility, for change. The world needs to change. 

Having said that, both he and Juwan Mitchell are in an absolute dogfight simply to stay on the 2-deep at a position that isn't especially deep - which is extremely telling. I don't think either of them are keeping Gbenda or Tillman off the field at this point. Not even factoring Adeoye, Jacquess - or the fact that I truly think we'll see Adimora and Foster both on the field in a lot of alignments, making the impact of their potential loss even less. 

I absolutely hate it for depth, I really do, and it makes the injury situation at LB scary but I think labeling either Mitchell or Overshown as "starter" is a stretch. Anthony Cook wasn't going to be a starter either, and likely was going to be in a dogfight to stay on the 2-deep. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They need to publicly announce the statues coming down and which buildings can be renamed quickly. They also need to tell the band to learn the Gucci Mane trap Eyes, now. It's been 3 weeks. This is not hard. Had they already done that, they could have bought time to deal with the rest. Doing nothing buys no time.

You said it.... "they" 

You gotta get a buncha "theys" on the same page. Three weeks. Who knows how far they've gotten or not. 

But, Overshown + some could force to get the ball rolling a lot faster. 

Edited by UncleBuck

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You said it.... "they" 

You gotta get a buncha "theys" on the same page. Three weeks. Who knows how far they've gotten or not. 

Not to mention the fact that Covid is currently wrecking shop on revenues and the state budget going forward. This is absolutely a priority, and for the players most likely their main priority, but the University as a whole, it is one of many. Some of which have become extremely pressing. I don't envy our administration at all right now.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Like 2

Just now, UncleBuck said:

You said it.... "they" 

The football friendly interim (not for long) president of the University could push these changes through in 3 weeks, no question. The team is pushing the University to do what is right and it sounds like the players are hearing, "we want to, but...". If Mississippi can announce they're changing their fucking state flag (!!!) in 3 weeks, Texas can rename some buildings. 

• Like 7

Tillman got hurt early, so he may turn out to be a diamond in the rough we desperately need this season. But Gbenda was flat-out terrible against Kansas. He got the start and was benched by the 2nd quarter. If Mitchell and Overshown are (were) seriously that far behind him before practice's even started, that's a really bad situation.

Wonder if Vaughns or (god-forbid) Ossai gets shifted back to LB.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The football friendly interim (not for long) president of the University could push these changes through in 3 weeks, no question. The team is pushing the University to do what is right and it sounds like the players are hearing, "we want to, but...". If Mississippi can announce they're changing their fucking state flag (!!!) in 3 weeks, Texas can rename some buildings. 

I dunno, apparently there is question, because he hasn't done it. I guarantee you a football friendly president, CDC, they'd all make those changes right now if it were up to them. 

And Mississippi isn't announcing that they're changing their flag after just three weeks, that has been a burning issue for years now. UT is who's on the three weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This.  Interim and CDC should have committed to making the changes 2 weeks ago when they met with athletes/students.  Schools across the country are making these changes and Texas is standing there with its dick in its hand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You said it.... "they" 

But, Overshown + some could force to get the ball rolling a lot faster. 

"Yah gotta get a bunch of BB's back in the box..."

FIFY

I dunno, apparently there is question, because he hasn't done it. I guarantee you a football friendly president, CDC, they'd all make those changes right now if it were up to them. 

And Mississippi isn't announcing that they're changing their flag after just three weeks, that has been a burning issue for years now. UT is who's on the three weeks. 

It's also easier to make changes when the initial thing is so public and flat-out obviously racist that it's actually hurting your state's economy. If it's meaningless, it's ironically harder to do.

• Like 4

Students on campus have been bitching about this shit for years - but no one cared until 3 weeks ago - just like the Mississippi state flag issue.  But Mississippi got the flag changed before Texas could commit to taking down one statue or renaming one building.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

It's also easier to make changes when the initial thing is so public and flat-out obviously racist that it's actually hurting your state's economy. If it's meaningless, it's ironically harder to do.

I'd probably say more symbolic than meaningless. Certainly tangible things move the needle quicker, but to the group asking for the changes, they aren't meaningless.

• Like 3

At this point, it seems like there's a decent chance we don't even have football this fall. Which makes my give-a-shit meter about things like this the lowest it's been since I started following Texas. Overshown can not take part in activities that could help him potentially make millions of dollars down the road out of principle, but he should realize that every football school worth a shit will have the same stuff if you look hard enough if he decides to transfer. Now, if he quits or transfers to a HBCU, then that's admirable. But somehow I doubt he'll do that. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Students on campus have been bitching about this shit for years - but no one cared until 3 weeks ago - just like the Mississippi state flag issue.  But Mississippi got the flag changed before Texas could commit to taking down one statue or renaming one building.

We're not talking about students, I'm talking about the team, who this is about, and them bringing it up three weeks ago for the first time.  I've been hearing about the Mississippi flag for years, with multiple movements to have it removed. 

It'd be different if this were two months down the line. It's been three weeks. You got a lot of people involved in these decisions, and some you're gunna have to tip-toe around and make happy some other way. Then there's a whole pandemic you're working around also. 

Edited by UncleBuck

3 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Truth: Mississippi had no interest in changing it's flag until it started to impact the bottom line economically. As soon as all the coaches showed up to the statehouse and said they wouldn't be able to recruit, it was a done deal.

Now you gotta wonder how much of the bottom line Texas is worried about with big money donors. Hopefully they can work shit out with those guys, if they're presenting a solid roadblock. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Truth: Mississippi had no interest in changing it's flag until it started to impact the bottom line economically. As soon as all the coaches showed up to the statehouse and said they wouldn't be able to recruit, it was a done deal.

It's been hurting the state beyond football for longer than that - the traditional Chamber of Commerce conservatives have been soft on the topic for years. As soon as there was a concerted movement, they were happy to align with the liberals against the more redneck Republicans.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

Now you gotta wonder how much of the bottom line Texas is worried about with big money donors. Hopefully they can work shit out with those guys, if they're presenting a solid roadblock. 

Finances in general are going to be a real problem for public universities for the next couple of years