Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

We're not talking about students, I'm talking about the team, who this is about, and them bringing it up three weeks ago for the first time.  I've been hearing about the Mississippi flag for years, with multiple movements to have it removed. 

It'd be different if this were two months down the line. It's been three weeks. You got a lot of people involved in these decisions, and some you're gunna have to tip-toe around and make happy some other way. Then there's a whole pandemic you're working around also. 

Even if you choose to ignore the fact that the building names have been an issue on campus for years - other schools are dealing with the same shit and handling it better.

Princeton took a presidents name off of a building but we can't commit to changing a building that was named after a teacher who wouldn't teach black students.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Even if you choose to ignore the fact that the building names have been an issue on campus for years - other schools are dealing with the same shit and handling it better.

Princeton took a presidents name off of a building but we can't commit to changing a building that was named after a teacher who wouldn't teach black students.

I don't think Princeton is having to worry about pleasing alum and BMDs the way Texas is right now

But my main point stands: three weeks. Princeton just made this decision five days ago, four years after it made the decision NOT to after students made a big ruckus over it. Texas, from what I can tell, has never come that close to considering any of these name changes, or has seen protests of the magnitude Princeton students had four years ago.

Of course I could be wrong, and may need a refresher if anyone's got one (<-- and I'm being serious, not a smartass).

Again, a couple of months and I'm like "come on now!" Three weeks? I don't care if two or three other schools have done something, that still doesn't change that it's a very short amount of time.

Edited by UncleBuck

32 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  Interim and CDC should have committed to making the changes 2 weeks ago when they met with athletes/students.  Schools across the country are making these changes and Texas is standing there with its dick in its hand.

Doesn't this require the BOR to meet and vote?  I don't understand why an ad hoc meeting hasn't been called yet.

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

"... we can't commit to changing a building that was named after a teacher who wouldn't teach black students."

"Maybe he didn't like to teach any students?  Maybe he just couldn't tell them apart?"

102027_pe_1229460263_400x400.jpg

• Like 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Is rising OL Ezra Dotson-Oyetade nearing a Texas offer?

Spoiler

Is rising OL Ezra Dotson-Oyetade nearing a Texas offer?

MikeRoach

Ezra Dotson-Oyetade is one of the fastest rising prospects in the state of Texas.

The 247Sports four-star prospect recently earned an invitation to the All-American Bowl along with his host of offers. Texas has yet to extend an offer to him, but the Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial prospect has been in contact with offensive line coach Herb Hand.

“Yes, I’ve been talking with Texas,” he said. “They’re all good. I’ve been on a couple of Zoom calls with coach Herb.”

Dotson-Oyetade has been having productive conversations with the Texas staff. After talking with several members of the staff, Dotson-Oyetade feels an offer could be coming soon.

“Yessir,” he said. “I believe they are going to offer here pretty soon.”

If the Longhorns were to offer, Dotson-Oyetade said his interest in Texas would be very high. Out of his 27 offers, no in-state power five schools have joined the race.

“It would be high,” he said. “Most definitely because they are an in-state power five.”

Oyetade has a decision timeline loosely in place. He plans to release a list of top schools and make a decision when he’s sure of it.

“I have a top schools list I’ll be dropping pretty soon,” he said. “I’m going to make a commitment as soon as I’m 100% sure.”

Despite Texas not yet offering, Oyetade said he plans to include them in his top schools.

“Texas is in my top eight,” he said.  "Mizzou, Arizona State, Florida State, Vanderbilt and Virginia are some of the other schools up there."

At 6-foot-3, 285 pounds, Dotson-Oyetade is ranked as the No. 7 center in the nation and No. 61 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Is rising OL Ezra Dotson-Oyetade nearing a Texas offer?

Reveal hidden contents

Is rising OL Ezra Dotson-Oyetade nearing a Texas offer?

MikeRoach

Ezra Dotson-Oyetade is one of the fastest rising prospects in the state of Texas.

The 247Sports four-star prospect recently earned an invitation to the All-American Bowl along with his host of offers. Texas has yet to extend an offer to him, but the Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial prospect has been in contact with offensive line coach Herb Hand.

“Yes, I’ve been talking with Texas,” he said. “They’re all good. I’ve been on a couple of Zoom calls with coach Herb.”

Dotson-Oyetade has been having productive conversations with the Texas staff. After talking with several members of the staff, Dotson-Oyetade feels an offer could be coming soon.

“Yessir,” he said. “I believe they are going to offer here pretty soon.”

If the Longhorns were to offer, Dotson-Oyetade said his interest in Texas would be very high. Out of his 27 offers, no in-state power five schools have joined the race.

“It would be high,” he said. “Most definitely because they are an in-state power five.”

Oyetade has a decision timeline loosely in place. He plans to release a list of top schools and make a decision when he’s sure of it.

“I have a top schools list I’ll be dropping pretty soon,” he said. “I’m going to make a commitment as soon as I’m 100% sure.”

Despite Texas not yet offering, Oyetade said he plans to include them in his top schools.

“Texas is in my top eight,” he said.  "Mizzou, Arizona State, Florida State, Vanderbilt and Virginia are some of the other schools up there."

At 6-foot-3, 285 pounds, Dotson-Oyetade is ranked as the No. 7 center in the nation and No. 61 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

As others have said, he should be a take regardless.  Only thing I saw for improvement on film was it looked like he got pushed back several times, but that will change ince in a S&C program.

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Princeton is a private University that has none of the trappings and hoops that are involved with a gianormous public university and policy changes.  It will all require BOR approval, and I am sorry the BOR isn't going to drop everything and have an emergency meeting to make sweeping changes because the athletes  think they are moving too slowly.

5 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Princeton is a private University that has none of the trappings and hoops that are involved with a gianormous public university and policy changes.  It will all require BOR approval, and I am sorry the BOR isn't going to drop everything and have an emergency meeting to make sweeping changes because the athletes  think they are moving too slowly.

How about because its the right fucking thing to do?  Also - the reporting that was done after the first meeting was that Interim and CDC didn't wouldn't commit to anything - thats a terrible fucking move. 

This is real fucking simple - several of those buildings need their names changed and the Interim and CDC should come out publicly and promise to advocate for those changes to the BOR.  No one is asking for them to rip the nameplates down - but what they want is more than promises of 'we're working behind the scenes'.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

How about because its the right fucking thing to do?  Also - the reporting that was done after the first meeting was that Interim and CDC didn't wouldn't commit to anything - thats a terrible fucking move. 

This is real fucking simple - several of those buildings need their names changed and the Interim and CDC should come out publicly and promise to advocate for those changes to the BOR.  No one is asking for them to rip the nameplates down - but what they want is more than promises of 'we're working behind the scenes'.

1st we have no idea what CDC did or didn't commit to at the meeting.  2nd or 3rd hand crap isn't something to go on here.

2nd the right thing to do or not, there is a labyrinthian amount of crap you have to dig through to change things on a public university campus the size of Texas.

3rd The BOR aren't just sitting around waiting for the University to need them to show up for a meeting.  They have their own lives and concerns going on in the middle of a pandemic. It isn't that simple and it is infantile to act like it is.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Anyone wondering if the brocks are distancing from all the recent activism and swirl around the program?    I get the feeling these dudes are about football and don’t want to get involved in the ‘woke’ struggle in Austin.  

No.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Anyone wondering if the brocks are distancing from all the recent activism and swirl around the program?    I get the feeling these dudes are about football and don’t want to get involved in the ‘woke’ struggle in Austin.  

IMO it definitely plays a part in the “Austin isn’t the place it was when dad was choosing a school...” narrative.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas was renaming buildings on campus long before those schools took action. 

They're already renamed several dorms. Just because you don't like the process of a BOR vote doesn't mean Texas is lagging behind on these issues. Those other schools are just now taking action. 

I don't know why you're praising these other schools for renaming buildings when Texas has literally been doing that for years. Now if the other buildings aren't eventually renamed you might have a point but just because Texas has a process doesn't mean they're in the wrong here. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Goodman said:

IMO it definitely plays a part in the “Austin isn’t the place it was when dad was choosing a school...” narrative.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

No.

Wait for it when they commit to Alabama.   “We just really love the atmosphere and the commitment to football and education”. Or some such.  

• Fuck You 1

What’s the point of having billions in gold and other shit in our endowment if we can’t take a stand when needed and tell the BMD  to pound sand if they aren’t on board?  UT demolished RE Lee and put up probably the ugliest building on campus in its place, decades ago .  Maybe RLM is uglier. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Now you gotta wonder how much of the bottom line Texas is worried about with big money donors. Hopefully they can work shit out with those guys, if they're presenting a solid roadblock. 

They should be worried. I’ve personally seen one email sent to CDC from a top 50ish type donor that indicated his money should no longer be counted on if they remove the eyes of texas. I can’t imagine that’s limited to handful of individuals. Whether he would follow through with that is anyone’s guess.

42 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This an important time to say, fuck any alum and BMD who doesn’t have a significant level of support for this movement.

You can reject a lot of social injustices and want change and at the same time realize some of the demand list is complete bullshit. 

Anyways, in regards to the brothers brockermeyer, It would not surprise me in the least if they are happy to side step this cluster at Texas and that played into their decision.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Neither of the Brocks are Eat. Sleep. Football. kind of kids. Doesn’t matter anyway as there isn’t going to be a single school avoiding activism in 2020. Brent is pretty active politically, but no it’s not a factor in their choice. 

41 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Yes. Fuck yes. This is it. Thank you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Also - the reporting that was done after the first meeting was that Interim and CDC didn't wouldn't commit to anything - thats a terrible fucking move. 

Overshown's tweet said "we have been told that things are being done behind closed doors but have yet to see any changes." 

Certainly sounds like they committed to something. 

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

They were already headed to Bama before all this. Nothing has changed. 

Wait for it when they commit to Alabama.   “We just really love the atmosphere and the commitment to football and education”. Or some such.  

See above. You trying to act like them committing to Bama and saying some platitude about commitment to football proves your point is Liucci-level nonsense. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

true. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Oh they're committing to Bama. But that's been done since the lockdown started.

false. 

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

2nd the right thing to do or not, there is a labyrinthian amount of crap you have to dig through to change things on a public university campus the size of Texas.

People are also drastically undervaluing how many things are in play at a school like Texas. 

When Texas removed the Confederate statues in '17 they were taken to appeals court by some random right wing fringe group. One of the main arguments that Fenves made is that the task force and BOR all agreed to remove the statues. There's a reason UT has that BOR process (even if you disagree with it). 

Folks went absolutely insane during that entire ordeal so no telling what happens if most of these demands are met. But you can bet CDC/Hartzell are making sure to cover themselves because there's no telling what's coming from some of these old timers. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas was renaming buildings on campus long before those schools took action. 

They're already renamed several dorms. Just because you don't like the process of a BOR vote doesn't mean Texas is lagging behind on these issues. Those other schools are just now taking action. 

I don't know why you're praising these other schools for renaming buildings when Texas has literally been doing that for years. Now if the other buildings aren't eventually renamed you might have a point but just because Texas has a process doesn't mean they're in the wrong here. 

Also, for a lot of school admin-types, the week of July 4 is a holiday week. That would mean they’ve actively only been working on this two work weeks. We have zero idea where in the process things are. Bureaucracies don’t just turn on a dime. 

9 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Also, for a lot of school admin-types, the week of July 4 is a holiday week. That would mean they’ve actively only been working on this two work weeks. We have zero idea where in the process things are. Bureaucracies don’t just turn on a dime. 

Well, when they renamed Simkins Residence Hall and removed the four confederate statues back in '17 it took a couple months for that to play out. 3 weeks is a limited amount of time if they're taking the same approach (i.e putting together a task force, advisory board, BOR vote, etc). 

Even when Texas removed the Jefferson Davis statue back in '15 it was a fairly long process. 

I get why people might not like the process but the idea these other schools are out in front on these issues is complete nonsense. Texas has been renaming buildings and removing statues for years. If anything Texas was one of the first universities to take a stand on these issues. 

• Like 1

Overshown's tweet said "we have been told that things are being done behind closed doors but have yet to see any changes." 
Certainly sounds like they committed to something. 

Or it sounds like empty promises to placate your slaves errrrr “student ath-e-letes”
0708d9a0b1d961754c8944d9f9c57dfd.jpg
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Or it sounds like empty promises to placate your slaves errrrr “student ath-e-letes”
0708d9a0b1d961754c8944d9f9c57dfd.jpg

Could be but I doubt it based on UT and Hartzell's history with this stuff. 

People act like Texas is unwilling to make changes. They've been renaming buildings and tearing down statues for years. More needs to be done but the idea they aren't willing to make changes is simply incorrect. Then go look at Hartzell's history in the business school. 

When students were vocal about Simkins they made changes. When students were vocal about the confederate statues they made changes. When students were vocal about the Jefferson Davis statue they made changes. Where are all these "empty promises"? And I'll be the first to criticize Texas if changes aren't made in reference to the players demands. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

from what my cousin tells me  right now the plan from the players is to wait until the eve of the first game if the major requests from the players list haven't been fulfilled they will announce together on social media at the same time their plans to sit out the season 

LOLOL. I remember thinking when I first saw Herman’s comments and him waking with the players that this is awesome. Herman really does get it and supports them 100%. This is awesome and as a bonus should help with chemistry and recruiting.

Two weeks later and the players are refusing to participate in recruiting until their demands are met, and are potentially planning on sitting out the season at the last minute.  2020 fucking sucks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

People act like Texas is unwilling to make changes. They've been renaming buildings and tearing down statues for years. More needs to be done but the idea they aren't willing to make changes is simply incorrect. Then go look at Hartzell's history in the business school. 

When students were vocal about Simkins they made changes. When students were vocal about the confederate statues they made changes. When students were vocal about the Jefferson Davis statue they made changes. Where are all these "empty promises"? And I'll be the first to criticize Texas if changes aren't made in reference to the players demands. 

They need to work to help these guys understand this. This is an ongoing process and there is a precedent in place so while it might taken longer than any of us like, it’s the proper way to go about things. Instead it sounds like they told the players “yeah, yeah, we’re working on it. Now get back to practice.” I can understand their skepticism.

9 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

No. There is zero indication that this is factual. 

4 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

from what my cousin tells me  right now the plan from the players is to wait until the eve of the first game if the major requests from the players list haven't been fulfilled they will announce together on social media at the same time their plans to sit out the season  no longer be on scholarship and pay out of pocket.

FIFY

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

LOLOL. I remember thinking when I first saw Herman’s comments and him waking with the players that this is awesome. Herman really does get it and supports them 100%. This is awesome and as a bonus should help with chemistry and recruiting.

Two weeks later and the players are refusing to participate in recruiting until their demands are met, and are potentially planning on sitting out the season at the last minute.  2020 fucking sucks.

I mean what did you expect? That Herman would be behind them, tell them their voices matter, and then they'd be cool with nothing happening by September?