Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean what did you expect? That Herman would be behind them, tell them their voices matter, and then they'd be cool with nothing happening by September?

This is gonna sound outlandish but hear me out.... I thought they would maybe work together under a mutual understanding and respect for each others desires and responsibilities to both fulfill their obligations as coaches/scholarship student athletes and as instruments of change.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

Good to hear.  The fact that the current players are going to vote on essentially quitting football for a year has no bearing on a recruit’s decision.   

So when you showed up innocently asking whether the current political environment influenced the Brock's decision-making, it was just a smokescreen to argue for your political viewpoint? I for one am shocked, shocked I tell you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Sorry I couldn’t understand you with your head in the sand.   I’m merely pointing out that not everyone wants to be a part time activist and part time football player and part time student.   Some want to make it to the league first and foremost and I asked if the brocks might fall in to that category.

Not taking the bait on a political discussion with you   

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 21

7 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Sorry I couldn’t understand you with your head in the sand.   I’m merely pointing out that not everyone wants to be a part time activist and part time football player and part time student.   Some want to make it to the league first and foremost and I asked if the brocks might fall in to that category.

Gtfo with this ignorant bullshit. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Kind of weird that our 3 most vocal (4 if you count Cook) guys about sitting out are the ones in positions with weak depth. All of these guys probably had better than a 50/50 shot of being significant starters.

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re not pointing anything out. The Brocks were already trending to Bama way before all this. You don’t like what’s happening with the players so you’re baselessly trying to attribute causation to justify your feelings. Go back to the football board, Cloak Room or whatever idiotic echo chamber that supports your stupidity. 

My feelings have been hurt by your personal attack.  What exactly is your position?  Are you saying that the players threatening to sit out practices, games, or the whole season will not have a negative effect on the product on the field this year or in the future?  

• Fuck You 3

22 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

It’s truly outrageous what people will justify to maintain their own entertainment. Not speaking directly to you, but to anyone who can’t understand that, in the grand scheme of things, football is trivial. We’re not discussing self-righteous kids who are rebelling against the system because they don’t want to work for anything, these are young men who are taking the only platform they have and using it to promote change. Sure, there will be parents and kids ambivalent to social change, but I would want to send my kid to a school that will teach them more about life than any textbook can. 

So don’t be a horses ass and suggest that the Brocks are avoiding a school because the current student athletes are realizing there is life outside of football. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

It’s truly outrageous what people will justify to maintain their own entertainment. Not speaking directly to you, but to anyone who can’t understand that, in the grand scheme of things, football is trivial. We’re not discussing self-righteous kids who are rebelling against the system because they don’t want to work for anything, these are young men who are taking the only platform they have and using it to promote change. Sure, there will be parents and kids ambivalent to social change, but I would want to send my kid to a school that will teach them more about life than any textbook can. 

So don’t be a horses ass and suggest that the Brocks are avoiding a school because the current student athletes are realizing there is life outside of football. 

Well I guess I’m not that enlightened.   I’m happy when we win.  Not happy when we suck.   Like some of you, I was in the rose bowl in 2006 and would like to get back sooner than later.   I like to be happy.  Guilty as charged.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

50 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Get the fuck out of here loser. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Well I guess I’m not that enlightened.   I’m happy when we win.  Not happy when we suck.   Like some of you, I was in the rose bowl in 2006 and would like to get back sooner than later.   I like to be happy.  Guilty as charged.  

My happiness isn’t tied to the Texas football team. 
The amount of entertainment I derive from watching is tied to their performance. 
two very different and separate ideas. 

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

People are also drastically undervaluing how many things are in play at a school like Texas. 

When Texas removed the Confederate statues in '17 they were taken to appeals court by some random right wing fringe group. One of the main arguments that Fenves made is that the task force and BOR all agreed to remove the statues. There's a reason UT has that BOR process (even if you disagree with it). 

Folks went absolutely insane during that entire ordeal so no telling what happens if most of these demands are met. But you can bet CDC/Hartzell are making sure to cover themselves because there's no telling what's coming from some of these old timers. 

I expect impatience for 20 year olds but it funny seeing it from so called adults.  There is and should be a process involved.  

72415 GIF

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

My feelings have been hurt by your personal attack.  What exactly is your position?  Are you saying that the players threatening to sit out practices, games, or the whole season will not have a negative effect on the product on the field this year or in the future?  

Usually when this happens it brings a team closer. Gonna go out on a limb and assume you have zero minutes playing any organized athletics in your tenure. 

• Like 1

Humidor

By: IT Staff

TEAM

As we enter the first week of July, the team will scatter for the holiday weekend after Friday's run/lift workout.

While they can’t be coached in person, they have already been coached about how to act when off campus. Coaches are emphasizing wearing masks and limited exposure to "outsiders." They are preaching holding each other accountable and just being smart with who they hang out with. If you see a player not wearing his mask, call him out. The traced interactions that came back from many of the sick players could have been prevented.

Many of the quarantine players have returned to workouts, as they've been trickling back into the mix. Workouts are going well. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are running and lifting days. This is similar to typical offseason. Tuesday and Thursday are for more running and player-led position work. While we wonder about team leadership during the season when things go poorly, we don’t worry about buy-in right now. Accountability is in place.

As of today, we've yet to hear of the season being delayed. What we have heard is players will be required to take weekly swap tests (in the mouth). The plan sounds like they could be uniform across the NCAA and any schools who have players transmitting Covid in-game will suffer severe consequences. August camp is still scheduled for August 7th, but coaches can lead workouts beginning in two weeks. This will be a crucial time for the coaches to continue to build solid relationships with the players. I can’t emphasize enough how much the new staff is regarded amongst the players. July and August is how you cement that feeling and make it last.

Players have been working out a handful at a time at spare football fields and indoor practice facilities. Some early feedback around a few UT freshmen players:

Hudson Card's trajectory remains in the upright and locked position. There's no flattening the curve with his game. He's added 5-7 pounds and has added to his already good velocity and deep ball accuracy. He’s been working with Brad Stanfield who also works with Jalen Milroe. Stanfield is essentially an Elite 11 level coach.

Bijan Robinson might be the safest stock in the class. He’s big tech, growth and income. His build, quickness, vision, first step, and ball-carrying are strengths noted here for a well over a year now. But those hands are really different for a player of his potential. The quicker he adapts to the speed of the college game, the quicker he'll see carries, and then you get the good stuff. There are many in the program already marveling about his receiver ability. This was a big selling point for Robinson and we’ve already heard about Yurcich wanting to get the running backs more involved in the passing game.

Troy Omeire was a player schools were wanting based more on potential than proven ability, and then he had a really good senior year. His size, athleticism, and work ethic are standing out. He's doing things a little earlier than expected from a learning/growing standpoint. That bodes well for the Horns perhaps sooner than later. He’ll play this year.

The coaches couldn’t be more excited to see Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins in pads. They think VB and AC will test the veteran offensive linemen the second the pads come on.

RS-Freshman Kenyatta Watson had been studying the field corner spot, behind Josh Thompson over the last several months. He might be moving to the boundary side now, with a rotation of D'Shawn Jamison, Jalen Green, and Thompson. Some still feel like Thompson's eventual spot could be nickel, or even boundary safety, where he might fit best at the next level. When we say Josh Thompson is fast and the staff prioritizes speed, it becomes clear why they are looking to get him on the field.

About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Usually when this happens it brings a team closer. Gonna go out on a limb and assume you have zero minutes playing any organized athletics in your tenure. 

You’ve convinced me.  I saw it play out that way on remember the Titans.  Mark it down.  

No D1 offers for me.   But I was team captain for my team at a very large uil public school.  We were mildly successful. I don’t recall having any time outside of practice, workouts, study, and parties on the weekends.   Back then I just lead by example ... pretty simple.  

How about you? 

• Fuck You 10

3 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

You’ve convinced me.  I saw it play out that way on remember the Titans.  Mark it down.  

No D1 offers for me.   But I was team captain for my team at a very large uil public school.  We were mildly successful. I don’t recall having any time outside of practice, workouts, study, and parties on the weekends.   Back then I just lead by example ... pretty simple.  

How about you? 

led*... pretty simple

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Humidor

By: IT Staff

TEAM

As we enter the first week of July, the team will scatter for the holiday weekend after Friday's run/lift workout.

While they can’t be coached in person, they have already been coached about how to act when off campus. Coaches are emphasizing wearing masks and limited exposure to "outsiders." They are preaching holding each other accountable and just being smart with who they hang out with. If you see a player not wearing his mask, call him out. The traced interactions that came back from many of the sick players could have been prevented.

Many of the quarantine players have returned to workouts, as they've been trickling back into the mix. Workouts are going well. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are running and lifting days. This is similar to typical offseason. Tuesday and Thursday are for more running and player-led position work. While we wonder about team leadership during the season when things go poorly, we don’t worry about buy-in right now. Accountability is in place.

As of today, we've yet to hear of the season being delayed. What we have heard is players will be required to take weekly swap tests (in the mouth). The plan sounds like they could be uniform across the NCAA and any schools who have players transmitting Covid in-game will suffer severe consequences. August camp is still scheduled for August 7th, but coaches can lead workouts beginning in two weeks. This will be a crucial time for the coaches to continue to build solid relationships with the players. I can’t emphasize enough how much the new staff is regarded amongst the players. July and August is how you cement that feeling and make it last.

Players have been working out a handful at a time at spare football fields and indoor practice facilities. Some early feedback around a few UT freshmen players:

Hudson Card's trajectory remains in the upright and locked position. There's no flattening the curve with his game. He's added 5-7 pounds and has added to his already good velocity and deep ball accuracy. He’s been working with Brad Stanfield who also works with Jalen Milroe. Stanfield is essentially an Elite 11 level coach.

Bijan Robinson might be the safest stock in the class. He’s big tech, growth and income. His build, quickness, vision, first step, and ball-carrying are strengths noted here for a well over a year now. But those hands are really different for a player of his potential. The quicker he adapts to the speed of the college game, the quicker he'll see carries, and then you get the good stuff. There are many in the program already marveling about his receiver ability. This was a big selling point for Robinson and we’ve already heard about Yurcich wanting to get the running backs more involved in the passing game.

Troy Omeire was a player schools were wanting based more on potential than proven ability, and then he had a really good senior year. His size, athleticism, and work ethic are standing out. He's doing things a little earlier than expected from a learning/growing standpoint. That bodes well for the Horns perhaps sooner than later. He’ll play this year.

The coaches couldn’t be more excited to see Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins in pads. They think VB and AC will test the veteran offensive linemen the second the pads come on.

RS-Freshman Kenyatta Watson had been studying the field corner spot, behind Josh Thompson over the last several months. He might be moving to the boundary side now, with a rotation of D'Shawn Jamison, Jalen Green, and Thompson. Some still feel like Thompson's eventual spot could be nickel, or even boundary safety, where he might fit best at the next level. When we say Josh Thompson is fast and the staff prioritizes speed, it becomes clear why they are looking to get him on the field.

About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises.

Really like this part... Thanks @Ricky's one-hitter

"About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises."

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Really like this part... Thanks @Ricky's one-hitter

"About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises."

lets just say whoever reported this has not seen the player group chat

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I assume step 1 at the hbcus would be to sit out until the meals, locker rooms, playing fields, workout facilities, therapy rooms, and other shit are improved to what they are accustomed to?

these athletes do have value, but that doesn’t mean they can’t still overplay their hand. 

the university has already, over the past few decades, shown that they are willing and able to make changes. But you must give the machine time to work. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

Wells is definitely a friend of the program. Nahlin has been stuck on dumb ass stock market analogies that expose his insecure mind.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I assume step 1 at the hbcus would be to sit out until the meals, locker rooms, playing fields, workout facilities, therapy rooms, and other shit are improved to what they are accustomed to?

these athletes do have value, but that doesn’t mean they can’t still overplay their hand. 

the university has already, over the past few decades, shown that they are willing and able to make changes. But you must give the machine time to work. 

The first wave of athletes would suffer, but we would all gravitate toward wanting to watch hbcu games and tv deals would kick in. The economics of it all isn’t that complex.

3 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Go root for aggy. You will fit right in. 

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

The first wave of athletes would suffer, but we would all gravitate toward wanting to watch hbcu games and tv deals would kick in. The economics of it all isn’t that complex.

Right. Are the first 5-10 years worth of athletes that do this willing to jeopardize their professional stock by not maximizing their potential in college?  Or is that more of a competition level issue that wouldn’t exist in this scenario?

i hear about kids get developed here but not there, aren’t the facilities part of that?

47 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

How about you? 

So you had time to party but not time to make positive change?

Also,

napoleon dynamite GIF

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Right. Are the first 5-10 years worth of athletes that do this willing to jeopardize their professional stock by not maximizing their potential in college?  Or is that more of a competition level issue that wouldn’t exist in this scenario?

i hear about kids get developed here but not there, aren’t the facilities part of that?

I would presume the easiest test subject would be a one-and-done basketball prospect who will get drafted on potential anyways. They would lead the charge for drawing attention to hbcu teams and help develop the infrastructure.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

If this is actually Cliff Knight, someone, for the love of God, get that man a new barber.

Came here to say the same thing. Giving me Boris Johnson vibes. Like Boris Johnson plus the skinny bumbling pirate from pirates of the carribean with a smidge of eric clapton, but only the smidge of clapton that sucks Enoch dick

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I would presume the easiest test subject would be a one-and-done basketball prospect who will get drafted on potential anyways. They would lead the charge for drawing attention to hbcu teams and help develop the infrastructure.

Welcome to 6 hours ago. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29403929/five-star-recruit-makur-maker-commits-howard-ucla%3fplatform=amp

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

Saw Jared Wiley’s tweet, so there is something there.  Just hope the player’s give the school time to process.  I think UT will be responsible, just hope there’s not a lot of feet dragging.

20 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Yeah, part of what inspired my thought. It will probably take a Mikey Williams/talented guard type to draw eyes. I don’t see a big guy dominating smaller, less talented players being compelling. At least, not until he faces someone of equal talent.

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

How about you? 

Texas Tshirt fan Hall Of Fame inductee in both my UIL High School and NCAA affiliated University.I did however give up two runs in 4 innings to the 2002 Texas National Championship team Augie led. Tim Moss and Majewski ate my lunch that day. Thanks for asking. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Yeah, part of what inspired my thought. It will probably take a Mikey Williams/talented guard type to draw eyes. I don’t see a big guy dominating smaller, less talented players being compelling. At least, not until he faces someone of equal talent.

What a weird take. It’s not enough for a big guy to dominate it has to be a small guy. Just patently untrue. Zion got 10 billion views of his high school clips doing exactly that.

1 hour ago, Blackcat00 said:

Texas Tshirt fan Hall Of Fame inductee in both my UIL High School and NCAA affiliated University.I did however give up two runs in 4 innings to the 2002 Texas National Championship team Augie led. Tim Moss and Majewski ate my lunch that day. Thanks for asking. 

That was a good team.  Being in that game must have been a blast.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2