Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Jamier-Johnson-football-recruiting-football-commitment--148775246/

Texas lands commitment from Cali cornerback

By GREG BIGGINS 19 hours ago

Pasadena (Calif.) Muir defensive back Jamier Johnson just announced his commitment to Texas.  In what ended up being a pretty exciting recruitment to follow, Johnson announced for the Longhorns moments ago, sight unseen.

“Texas moved up my list right when they offered,” Johnson said. “They’re a great football school and I love their tradition and how they develop defensive backs. I know I never visited but I’m still comfortable with my decision.  I really developed a strong relationship with the entire coaching staff. I really like coach Jay (Valai) a lot, I’m very comfortable with him and I like coach Ash as well. I think they can help me get better, develop me as a player and person and help me reach my dreams to get to the next level.”

Johnson did several zoom calls with the coaching staff and a virtual tour that blew the family away. That took the place of having to actually visit the campus and both Johnson and his mother had a lot of their questions answered after that.

“Texas did a great job recruiting Jamier and that virtual visit was huge for them,” Muir head coach Zaire Calvin said. “They made it personal with him, when they talked, it wasn’t always about football. In fact, a lot of the times, it was more about life and things off the field.

“They really tried hard to get to know him as a person and not just a player and that made a big impact on him and his mother. The coaches were all really relatable for them, answered every question and made Jamier feel comfortable making the decision without even visiting the campus.”

There was a time when Oregon looked good and the team to beat for Johnson. In fact, at the time he announced his commitment date, back in early June, the Ducks were the leaders but quickly filled up at the corner position.  Texas was his No. 2 choice at that time but a very close No. 2. The Horns turned up the heat in the last month and were able to seal the deal earlier this week.

“I think it’s a great fit and I’m really happy for Jamier,” Calvin said. “He’s happy and his mother is happy as well and I’m excited for him. Texas is big time football but I know Jamier is ready for it. He’s a quiet kid, very reserved but he has a fire in him that comes out when he steps on the field.

“He doesn’t back down from anything or anyone. He’s a natural cover corner with great instincts but I love how tough he is and how hard he competes. He’s a worker and really showed me a lot last year when he had to sit out the first games of the year due to a transfer. A lot of players, you wouldn’t have seen them around until they were eligible. Jamier never missed a workout or a meeting. He was there for everything and was a great teammate and that really showed me a lot about his character.”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fud said:

The team isn’t sitting out the season of the eve of, because the players aren’t united in the demands; a fraction of them want it all and want it now, but that is a group of players. And once many of the demands are met, that group likely shrinks, if that plan/threat is even true (I’m skeptical that it is, that poster seems Karl-like)

all you have to do is go back 1-5 pages to see im legit or check the basketball thread

i told you all about an o lineman who was committed elsewhere that joined a recruit group chat & a day later hand followed him 

i told everyone texas had a silent commit from damion collins & a week later the 995ers put out an article saying what i said 

i told you all jamier was a silent when everyone thought it was oregon & then 995ers came out & confirmed what i said 

& my alabama news will come true as well

stop testing me i have receipts 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, I pulled plenty of high grade tail there and I’m a ginger non athlete. Karl’s just mad his cousin can’t get laid. 

this isnt 1987 there is no high grade tail at texas & yes its been a huge talking point among kids who visit

javonne sheppard & k lavon chassion laughed about the girls on campus 

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

this isnt 1987 there is no high grade tail at texas & yes its been a huge talking point among kids who visit

I think the majority of this board is chasing a different kind of girl than those two recruits probably were, I'll admit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Steve is actively harming the team by being a racist shitheel. Don't be like Steve: https://www.facebook.com/steve.boudreaux3

steve.boudreaux3 seems more like an aggy/lsu fan...

September 7, 2008 - Present
San Antonio, Texas
Aviation
2003 - 2008
Bossier City, Louisiana
Staff Sergeant (E-5)
*Barksdale AFB
*Air Force Global Strike Command
*26th Operational Weather Squadron
*Air Force Weather Agency
BBQ Pitmaster
December 14, 2000 - January 15, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Store Stocker
June 23, 1999 - May 17, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
*Stocked lots of canned goods
*Putting people first & helped some of the customers handing out canned goods or supplies they asked for.
*Maintained the overall appearance of the store.
*Unloaded...
EDUCATION

Animal science · Agriculture Engineering · Athletics & Football
Class of 2011
High School
Class of 2003
Played football, varsity baseball & also was on the wrestling team.

28 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

I was there 3 years ago. They’re both pretty ugly dudes so.

Edited by Hank_Hill

35 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

Javonne Shepherd also laughed at the thought of doing school. Stupid clown motherfucker. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

steve.boudreaux3 seems more like an aggy/lsu fan...

September 7, 2008 - Present
San Antonio, Texas
Aviation
2003 - 2008
Bossier City, Louisiana
Staff Sergeant (E-5)
*Barksdale AFB
*Air Force Global Strike Command
*26th Operational Weather Squadron
*Air Force Weather Agency
BBQ Pitmaster
December 14, 2000 - January 15, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Store Stocker
June 23, 1999 - May 17, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
*Stocked lots of canned goods
*Putting people first & helped some of the customers handing out canned goods or supplies they asked for.
*Maintained the overall appearance of the store.
*Unloaded...
EDUCATION

Animal science · Agriculture Engineering · Athletics & Football
Class of 2011
High School
Class of 2003
Played football, varsity baseball & also was on the wrestling team.

His FB page says he's a fan of Bama FYI. 

4 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

From my interactions with Texas football players while I was in college I'd say a lot of them were actually huge assholes. Some were chill, but many were huge pricks with terrible social skills. 

Orakpo wouldn't sign your shit either?

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

all you have to do is go back 1-5 pages to see im legit or check the basketball thread

i told you all about an o lineman who was committed elsewhere that joined a recruit group chat & a day later hand followed him 

i told everyone texas had a silent commit from damion collins & a week later the 995ers put out an article saying what i said 

i told you all jamier was a silent when everyone thought it was oregon & then 995ers came out & confirmed what i said 

I hope you're right about Collins. That would be huge.

5 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

From my interactions with Texas football players while I was in college I'd say a lot of them were actually huge assholes. Some were chill, but many were huge pricks with terrible social skills. 

This is what I think about when people talk about Herman being  an unlikable prick. Athletes by and large are assholes to those not of the tribe. The more talented, the more the divide.   

3 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

I don't give a fuck about what you claim, I know that most of the team is not on board with all of the demands, especially to the point of boycotting the season. 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Colorado takes 3* instate TE, Eric Olson which would seemingly take them out of contention for Helm. Olson is slightly higher rated with a more suspect offer list.

https://247sports.com/Player/Erik-Olsen-46085283/

i think Helms enthusiastic reaction for other programs might have put people off. Colorado might have a small penis thing going when a Texas offer kid talks so glowingly about the horns. 

breaks my heart, but there it is.

Updated National Rankings 247:

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Steve is actively harming the team by being a racist shitheel. Don't be like Steve: https://www.facebook.com/steve.boudreaux3

Never tweet at recruits and/or players but if you absolutely have to, maybe remind them that not everybody that tweets them is a real UT alumni or student or even fan, despite their claims. That's how the internet works--trolls troll, liars lie, and OU sucks. 

Edited by Mdhorn

On 7/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, EZ$ said:

Kind of weird that our 3 most vocal (4 if you count Cook) guys about sitting out are the ones in positions with weak depth who have sat out for various reasons in the past already, this is just another reason.

FIFY

And for the record, I am on board with meeting their requests and making necessary changes.  But I'm also tired of this generation and their expectation of instant gratification, and when they don't get it they want to take their ball and go home.  DO admits in his note that steps are being taken...sorry they aren't quite moving at the pace he'd like.

Edited by texashorn13
  • Like 1

FIFY
And for the record, I am on board with meeting their requests and making necessary changes.  But I'm also tired of this generation and their expectation of instant gratification, and when they don't get it they want to take their ball and go home.  DO admits in his note that steps are being taken...sorry they aren't quite moving at the pace he'd like.

Sit this one out you old ignorant pile of shit
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 6

4 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Never tweet at recruits and/or players but if you absolutely have to, maybe remind them that not everybody that tweets them is a real UT alumni or student or even fan, despite their claims. That's how the internet works--trolls troll, liars lie, and OU sucks. 

no.  we need to empower every bigot on the internet by shining a spotlight on them and amplifying their narrow perspective so that their little trivial smudge of racism touches as many people as possible.  it’s important to keep your base fired up.  simply ignoring them and letting their comments die in obscurity would be missing a golden opportunity to do some hardcore virtue signaling.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

how did the board over react about Alexander? By looking at his tape?

"Looking" is alright but "watching" is only something that the esteemed residents of texags can do, and some people on here were threatening to watch.the.tape.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Viper said:

A little extreme here, was your independence day not going so well?

I just think its absurd that old whites dudes think they should tell the young black athletes in whom they invest so much emotional and financial capital how they should be acting. It's definitely paternalistic and maybe just a little racist.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Sit this one out you old ignorant pile of shit

Did it hurt your feelings to read an opinion that differs from yours.  We are on a message board where people state different views for the sake of discussion.  CR is probably the echo chamber you are longing for where everyone is as sensitive/smug as you and lots of pats on the backs.  

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Burntcowboy said:

I’m an old white guy and I’m not telling anyone how to act or think. I sure as hell won’t let them tell me how to act or think either. That’s not racism, that’s just freedom. Hopefully there is a compromise and The Eyes stay. 

They're not telling anyone how to act or think. They're saying "if you want to continue to make hundreds of millions of dollars off of our athletic achievement then do these things or we won't play". Try paying attention next time.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

how did the board over react about Alexander? By looking at his tape?

Seemed like there was a panic that we were going hard after this guy.  At least it did to me. Really don’t think we made much of a push, if any.

Edited by cochamps