Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Since you brought him up, and we all enjoy humor....

One 1st Rd Mock Projection for 2021 NFL Draft...

8. Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

JAYLEN WADDLE
WR Alabama
Miami Dolphins

https://nflmocks.com/2020/06/27/2021-nfl-draft-justin-fields-mock-draft/9/

It's all good.  He's fast enough to make it to Austin for practice.

7 hours ago, Moderator said:

That's essentially how any interaction in society works.  Those with power dictate terms.  Your employer tells you how to act.  Whether they have enough power to make their demands is the deciding factor if something happens.  Since the players bring in a lot of revenue, I'm going to guess that almost all the demands will be met.  Also who is the "them" they telling how to act?  I doubt CDC or Hartzell give a shit about keeping anything the same.  

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

fuck that guy. 

I’m all for this talk and I hope it continues to be the narrative. I hope it just keeps escalating. 

Riley hasn’t coached a single QB in his career, as OC or HC, that he developed from recruit to starter. 

Rattler struggled turning the ball over in practice against the shitastic OU DBs. It’s not a new problem for him. 

Rattler threw 33 INTs in 42 high school games. Sam threw 9 in 26, Baker threw 8 in 29, Kyler threw 16 in 32, and Hurts threw 7 in 16. 

Rattler is going to put up some stats but anyone expecting him to be a step up for OU in QB play is making some huge assumptions.

FWIW — OU played in 6 one score games last season and Hurts never threw more than 1 INT in any game. 

Riley is Spurrier 2.0, of his QB sucks it sure isn’t about the tutorage.

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Carrington's Instagram has a weird post about "people being mad about this one."...makes me think it's the player committed to another school that was said to be in Texas recruits group chat.

Who's this about? Is this a Carl rumor? There are very few that this would even apply to. It's not Clayton Smith, he's gone full land thief. Could be Landon Jackson or JoJo. My guess would be Jackson or Jaydon Williams if true. Big if. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Ibraheem, Coffey and Shemar Turner all recently started following each other on twitter. 

Newish commits getting in on class recruiting. Nothing to see here. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Well good thing carl is a lying sack of shit because whoa ho ho...no thank you.

He recently started following Yurcich and Hand, along with a ton of other P5 coaches 

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

image.thumb.png.8c0f768d1716572fe8ed4102bd1a1723.png

Wells RT'd his offer from March

If Valai pulls that off, then there will be a lot of crow to be eaten on Surly. Plus, he’ll have plenty of time to go recruit a RB so we don’t interfere with Drayton’s strict schedule of playing Madden and watching NCSI all summer. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Valai pulls that off, then there will be a lot of crow to be eaten on Surly. Plus, he’ll have plenty of time to go recruit a RB so we don’t interfere with Drayton’s strict schedule of playing Madden and watching NCSI all summer. 

Went and looked at Wells twitter and don’t see any RT from Johnson, he also said he wasn’t sure Johnson was a take right now. 

So is this the current list of kids we still have a shot at?  Please correct if wrong.  

WR: J.Alexis, K.Jackson, J.J.Henry, A.Harmon, M.Johnson Jr.

TE: G.Helm

OL: E.Cade, M.Myslinski

SDE: J.Jones, A.Walker

DT: S.Turner, A.Regis, I.Iwunnah

OLB: T.Cooks

CB: J.Williams

S: A.Mukuba, D.Lemear

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

So is this the current list of kids we still have a shot at?  Please correct if wrong.  

WR: J.Alexis, K.Jackson, J.J.Henry, A.Harmon, M.Johnson Jr.

TE: G.Helm

OL: E.Cade, M.Myslinski

SDE: J.Jones, A.Walker

DT: S.Turner, A.Regis, I.Iwunnah

OLB: T.Cooks

CB: J.Williams

S: A.Mukuba, D.Lemear

Considering your inclusion of long shot WRs, you can add:

WR: Dekel Crowdus

RB: Johnson, Wheaton

OL: Ezra Oyetade, but no offer yet. 

DL: David Abiara, Kelvin Gilliam

LB: Jayden Williams

CB: Isaiah Johnson, Ceyair Wright (ATH)

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Considering your inclusion of long shot WRs, you can add:

WR: Dekel Crowdus

RB: Johnson, Wheaton

OL: Ezra Oyetade, but no offer yet. 

DL: David Abiara, Kelvin Gilliam

LB: Jayden Williams

CB: Isaiah Johnson, Ceyair Wright (ATH)

Might as well include Byrd if you're going to that extent. We are in his top group (running 3rd, of course) and the coaches are trying to give him the fullcourt press based on their Twitter follows (including his girlfriend, hah).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Crowdus also liked Coffey’s tweet from last night. 

Thats my guess on who it is. 

Given that his Twitter could not be Kentucky-er and he congratulated a recent commit with "Welcome gang" this weekend, I think not so much.

Valai just started following Alexis, so I'm hoping for that.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Given that his Twitter could not be Kentucky-er and he congratulated a recent commit with "Welcome gang" this weekend, I think not so much.

Valai just started following Alexis, so I'm hoping for that.

Justin Wells, Nick Harris, and Mike Roach have all started following each other today. 

something is going on there. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Crowdus also liked Coffey’s tweet from last night. 

Thats my guess on who it is. 

Scoop

Spoiler

Five-star hoops target talks UT, the latest on a duo of 2022 wide receiver offers, and some morning buzz. The Inside Scoop during a stormy Monday.

EARLY MONDAY BUZZ

I've been hit with a handful of calls regarding Isaiah Johnson, the four-star cornerback from Bluefield, WV. Is he a take? Yes.

If he wanted to join the 2021 class, Texas would take him. At 6-foot-0 and 180 pounds, the top prospect in West Virginia has a verified 4.5 40-yard dash, a 4.2 shuttle, and a 38-inch vertical. He's seriously looking at Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU, and I'm not sure where UT stacks up here.

Another name I've heard is Dekel Crowdus, the four-star wide receiver and Kentucky commit from Frederick Douglass High School in Lexington, KY. I'm hearing the Texas offer is pretty solid to the Wildcats, but the Horns and members of Texas’ 2021 class might make a push here.

DAIMION COLLINS

The 6-foot-9, 190-pound Collins from the tiny East Texas town of Atlanta has grown recently both as a player and a man. He also received his fifth star recently and it was something he'd worked to achieve for a long time.

"It was awesome," said Collins. "I’ve always dreamed about being one of the best, and I stayed humble and worked hard and it’s all starting to pay off."

What stands out about the Longhorns at this point in your recruitment?

"To me, it's how much (Texas) takes pride in the name across their chest," said Collins. "Coach (Jai) Lucas was telling me good job on working hard and that he didn't know I could dribble and shoot the way I can. Just hard work."

What are his expectations heading into his final season in high school?

"My expectations for my senior year are to keep working hard and be a top player in the nation, and to hopefully find the best school to continue my journey," he said.

No timeline right now after dropping his top 10 on Friday of Texas, Kansas, OU, Texas Tech, LSU, Baylor, Arkansas, Houston, Alabama, and Oklahoma State.

His mother, Kim, knows this recruiting game too well.

"The recruiting process has been fairly decent," said Kim. "We went into last summer without anyone knowing who he was because we are from a small town. Once he was noticed, it picked up. Being that COVID-19 slowed everything down we weren't able to take some visits.”

His mother, like every mother, just wants to make sure she sends her son to the best possible situation in college.

"With everything going on in the world today, I want to make sure that we are making the right decision when sending him off to college," Kim said. "I want to make sure the coaches will stand up for him on and off the court. Also somewhere he fits in, family atmosphere and style of play. He is a student athlete so good academics is a must. Texas is a great school and we will continue to build our relationship with Coach (Shaka) Smart and Coach Lucas."

No urgency here, just know the Longhorns look fantastic here. Of note, Collins was offered by Hampton University yesterday, a HBCU who has began to offer top prospects throughout the country with the hope a few highly-sought players will take a different route. I think Collins stays close to home, however.

UNDERCLASSMEN ON THE RADAR

Phaizon Wilson....The 2022 receiver from Lancaster nicknamed "New York" has seen his stock rise. The 6-foot-4, 200-pounder is filling out his frame and soaking up every ounce of the recruiting sweepstakes. He only had 137 yards and two touchdowns in a short stint on varsity as a sophomore last fall, but since then he's morphed into a prime-time prospect.

"The recruiting process has been fun, very fast, but patient at the same time," Wilson explained. "A lot of big time schools have offered over the past three months, so I’m happy that I’m blessed."

Showing the most interest? A handful of the regions top programs.

"Texas, Alabama, and Missouri are a few," Wilson said. "Arkansas too. I talk to them and I want go visit Texas again, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas A&M."

Add Florida, Ohio State and Auburn, his newest offers. He'd like to visit those schools as well, when trips to college campuses are a thing again.

Tayln Shettron...another 2022 pass-catcher with Texas on the prowl. A four-star receiver from Santa Fe High School in Edmond, OK, Shettron burst on the scene recently with his camp performances. He tallied 856 yards and eight scores in 2019 and looks to build off that success.

"The recruiting process has been going great so far," said Shettron. "Right now OU, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M stand out and I'd like to visit."

He's got a good idea of what he wants in his future college team.

"I’m looking for a school with great academics and a great football program," Shettron said. "Texas is a great school and I look forward to building a relationship with the coaches."

Unlike Wilson, Shettron has yet to visit Austin. He hopes that changes soon, as he's eager to see why so much of his home state relishes in its hatred of all things Hook 'Em.

If you've got any recruiting questions, shoot them my way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Actually, Crowdus' most recent follows are... Mike Roach, Nick Harris and Jonathan Brooks. Huh.

@texasstrong12 is that what you mean to type?

Yes. They followed each other. Crowdus started following Roach, Harris and Brooks. Wells, Harris, Roach, and Brooks also started following Crowdus today. 

Maybe they're just getting quotes on a potential visit (assuming it happens with Covid19). 

• Like 1