Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Very down year for the WR position in state. 

This would also be the time of year where at least 10 dudes would blow up at Spring/7v7/Camps that we don't get to hear of this year. I refuse to believe this state does not have plenty of WR's, it would not fit the trend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cochamps said:

Wow, had to look LaQuiv up to see where he is now.  He has traveled a long & winding road.

Wow time flies. His story might’ve been a decent movie, orphan kid to high school football star. Thought he had it figured out after he had that breakout year at KU. He may be the only player in history to get kicked off 2 college teams despite not having any legal or academic troubles. Being an idiot on social media will do that though.

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

I don't think we want inside LBs anymore.  Just smaller quicker guys who can cover and run to the sidelines.

I guess you’re meaning traditional ILBs? But we play 2 ILB’s in our base under Ash, so we absolutely do want ILBs in our system, they’re just going to be more like Patrick Queen than Adeoye. Andrew Jones fits that mold. 

15 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Has to be a placeholder commitment.  No way this sticks--right?  

His commitment to Memphis was strange since he had a lot of good offers. I’m guessing he has qualification concerns or some other red flag, because it doesn’t make sense otherwise. 

• Like 2

The deal with Crowdus could get interesting.  Other than being the home team in state, Kentucky isn't really known for its passing offense.  They are a running team that controls clock and plays good defense, and as we've seen the last 2 seasons they haven't had a QB that can complete a forward pass.  Pretty sure they moved a WR to QB mid season last year as well.  IDK what they have waiting in the wings or have recruited for the position recently, but Crowdus would have way more opportunities in our offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The deal with Crowdus could get interesting.  Other than being the home team in state, Kentucky isn't really known for its passing offense.  They are a running team that controls clock and plays good defense, and as we've seen the last 2 seasons they haven't had a QB that can complete a forward pass.  Pretty sure they moved a WR to QB mid season last year as well.  IDK what they have waiting in the wings or have recruited for the position recently, but Crowdus would have way more opportunities in our offense.

One of the kids from QB1 went to Kentucky. Walking injury, though. 

I want to understand how the Texas offense is currently perceived by prospects. Is it just the proximity to chokelahoma that suppresses the fact that we've sported (statistically) one of the best offenses in the country the last 2 years? Especially for WR. And now, we made an investment in an OC who plans to push more chunk yardage plays. So....why the hell are we struggling at WR recruiting this cycle? Can we not sell any of this effectively?

I actually feel pretty good about the long term prospects for the WR class, but it shouldn't be this hard. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wasn't Rondale Moore from Kentucky too?

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Is it just the proximity to chokelahoma that suppresses the fact that we've sported (statistically) one of the best offenses in the country the last 2 years? Especially for WR. And now, we made an investment in an OC who plans to push more chunk yardage plays. So....why the hell are we struggling at WR recruiting this cycle? Can we not sell any of this effectively?

You know what it is. It's nothing about what the offense has looked like on the field this year, it's what every other coach these kids visits with tells them about UT's past draft success, especially of skill position players on offense. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You know what it is. It's nothing about what the offense has looked like on the field this year, it's what every other coach these kids visits with tells them about UT's past draft success, especially of skill position players on offense. 

Recent history says otherwise at WR, though. If that line is landing, Coleman sucks at recruiting. We're losing guys to current Baylor and the prospects of what could happen at Mississaggy. Also, aggy. Also, TCU who has not been good for 3 years, despite putting receivers in the league. I get that the generic idea Texas isn't developing can be applied willy nilly, but pushing back should be much easier than it's proving to be. 

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Recent history says otherwise at WR, though. If that line is landing, Coleman sucks at recruiting. We're losing guys to current Baylor and the prospects of what could happen at Mississaggy. Also, aggy. Also, TCU who has not been good for 3 years, despite putting receivers in the league. I get that the generic idea Texas isn't developing can be applied willy nilly, but pushing back should be much easier than it's proving to be. 

I can sit there as a Baylor or TCU coach and at least say our school has put a receiver in the first round of the draft within the past four years. It doesn't have to mean shit to me and you, but I don't think UT's record in recent drafts looks that appealing to kids over others. Offensive skill position players (WRs) are the diva-est of them all, that's gunna be a turn-off.

Hell, Garrett Wilson literally said it himself a little less than two years ago. Whether they've put up better offensive numbers since then or not still hasn't changed that.... yet. 

(EDIT: Not saying Coleman isn't having issues, btw)

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I can sit there as a Baylor or TCU coach and at least say our school has put a receiver in the first round of the draft within the past four years. It doesn't have to mean shit to me and you, but I don't think UT's record in recent drafts looks that appealing to kids over others. Offensive skill position players (WRs) are the diva-est of them all, that's gunna be a turn-off.

Hell, Garrett Wilson literally said it himself a little less than two years ago. Whether they've put up better offensive numbers since then or not still hasn't changed that.... yet. 

And, now we slept GW's OC!  BOOM!  ROASTED!

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

coleman is definitely having problems

if you saw his recruiting pitch texts you would understand lets just say its on "we use te like nfl" level of bad

carrington has gotten involved with wr recruiting he is behind the crowdus momentum

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

coleman is definitely having problems

if you saw his recruiting pitch texts you would understand lets just say its on "we use te like nfl" level of bad

carrington has gotten involved with wr recruiting he is behind the crowdus momentum

What the hell was Carrington doing before? Shouldn't he already be involved in WR recruiting?

So one go hire Samples are someone already...