Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, bEastTexas said:

You got it backwards, he’s from Louisville (same HS Brohm went to)

No I didn't.

29 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Or you have it backwards. He's from New Albany, Indiana, and was recruited to play at Trinity Catholic in Louisville for high school.

This.

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

What the hell was Carrington doing before? Shouldn't he already be involved in WR recruiting?

So one go hire Samples are someone already...

hes been covering for giles

you didnt think giles just miraculously became an elite recruiter out of the blue after missing on every target did you

• Fuck You 1

So with COVID being what it is, and there being a very real chance that football this year is cancelled, I'm really wondering how this would impact scholarship numbers, class sizes, etc. I'm assuming that if the season is cancelled, anyone on the current roster is granted a redshirt for this year. But there will still be a 2021 recruiting class. Soooooo, how will they reconcile the 85 limit with an incoming class and a whole team getting a redshirt year? I'm not talking specifically about the Texas roster, and more what the likely NCAA policy is going to be. Do they increase scholarship limits from 85 up to like 110 and then slowly tamp it down over the next 5 years? Shit's gonna be weird af.

(Mike Roach) Bayou Battleground: Head-to-head battles between Texas and LSU

Texas and LSU met early last season in Austin in one of the best games of the 2019 college football season.  The Tigers pulled out the victory and went on to win a national title with one of the best teams in history. Round two is scheduled to happen this fall with the Longhorns visiting Baton Rouge.  Even before they played on the field, Texas and LSU were involved in recruiting battles as neighboring states.

Head-to-head matchups are difficult to score in the ever-changing landscape of recruiting, but after speaking with counterparts at Geaux247, we are confident in where each side stands in these recruitments as of this moment. As Texas moves into a pivotal season and LSU looks to reload on the field, both have heavy expectations. Where do things stand as of now between both programs? We bring you a complete look.

Texas Victories

Five-star Denton Ryan ATH Ja’Tavion Sanders

Texas won over Sanders without much of a fight, but it’s hard to find a team on his offer list that wouldn’t want the dynamic two-way star. Sanders is strongly committed to Texas and not talking with other programs at this time. He’s one of the crown-jewels of this Texas class and an elite player nationally.

Four-star Dallas Kimball CB Ishmael Ibraheem

Ibraheem was seemingly down to Texas and LSU when he made his decision to pick the Longhorns. Jay Valai scored his first big win over Corey Raymond in a race for a coveted prospect. Ibraheem is strongly committed to Texas while LSU continues to look for options in the secondary.

Four-star Kennedale Safety JD Coffey

Coffey committed to Texas despite a last-minute push from LSU coaches. The Tigers were one of the schools under consideration from Coffey when he picked Texas, but the Longhorns won him over along with Ibraheem. Coffey remains strongly committed to Texas and is reruiting for the Longhorns.

Four-star Katy Taylor OL Hayden Conner

Conner committed out of nowhere last summer with the 247Sports Crystal Ball 100% in favor of Texas A&M. LSU was on the radar for the big offensive tackle, but they never seemed to be a major factor at the time of his commitment.  Conner said in many interviews that Texas and Michigan were among his final two, but LSU was recruiting the Katy Taylor tackle hard right up until the end.

LSU Victories

Four-star Aledo WR JoJo Earle

LSU dealt the Longhorns a gigantic blow when top target JoJo Earle committed to the Tigers without ever visiting Baton Rouge. Texas will continue to push for Earle throughout the recruiting cycle, but the Tigers have a hold on him and TCU is considered another dangerous option.

Four-star Flower Mound Marcus QB Garrett Nussmeier

Texas got into the race late for Nussmeier but wanted to add him as the second quarterback in the class. It never really seemed to be a contest for the Longhorns as LSU landed the Elite 11 prospect easily. Nussmeier has been one of their most vocal recruiters and the only choice at quarterback.

Four-star Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove DE Landon Jackson

Jackson was yet another key player on the board that the Longhorns lost out on. While Texas A&M seemed to be the biggest source of competition, LSU capitalized on a stacked NFL Draft weekend to put the pressure on the east Texas star.

Up for Grabs

Five-star Garland Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton

Both programs would take Wheaton, but Texas sits in a far better position for the speed back. The Longhorns are likely to battle Oklahoma and LSU for Wheaton, and it could come down to signing day.

Five-star Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal OL Tommy Brockermeyer

LSU made it to the final group for Tommy Brockermeyer along with Texas, but both schools might be playing for second as of now. Alabama seems to be the odds-on favorite with Texas running in second at the moment.

Four-star Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal OL James Brockermeyer

The same can be said for Tommy’s brother James who also appears to be trending towards the Crimson Tide. LSU impressed James on his visit last fall, but the Tigers probably sit in third place at this point.

Four-star Duncanville OL Savion Byrd

SMU is the 247Sports Crystal Ball leader for Byrd, but it sounds like he’s starting to narrow down some candidates for official visits. If he takes all of his trips, it’s likely that both Texas and LSU would get a visit. Neither school is the favorite at this time, but that could change in the fall.

Four-star Katy Taylor OL Bryce Foster

Both Texas and LSU are in Foster’s top four, but Oklahoma seems to hold the edge at the moment. The 247Sports Crystal Ball is split between the Sooners (62.5%) and the Aggies (37.5%). Both schools will take their shot down the stretch, but the situation could change depending on what happens during the fall.

Four-star Council Bluffs (IA) Lewis Central TE Thomas Fidone

Fidone was recently offered by Texas and LSU has been in the race far longer. Fidone said he’d like to make a visit to Texas and give the Longhorns a look, but with visits up in the air, LSU has a far greater advantage in this race.

Four-star DeSoto DL Shemar Turner

Texas and LSU made it into the top five for Turner, and there’s a feeling that he might like to stay close to home at the next level. Both programs will be engaged for him until the very end, and his decision could hinge on the way this season plays out.

Four-star Los Angeles (Calif.) cornerback Isaiah Johnson

LSU sits in a top group for Johnson along with Georgia and Tennessee, but Texas is hanging around in that race. The Tigers have the better position as things stand now, but Johnson is staying engaged with Jay Valai and the Longhorns could easily take another corner if one with the talent of Johnson wanted in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

C'mon.... OG can recruit!!!

If Coleman’s WR’s ball out like Giles’ line did in the Alamo Bowl he’ll be able to recruit as well.  Drayton is a head scratcher for me.  What would y’all say he does here?

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

If Coleman’s WR’s ball out like Giles’ line did in the Alamo Bowl he’ll be able to recruit as well.  Drayton is a head scratcher for me.  What would y’all say he does here?

He can tweet...

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

So with COVID being what it is, and there being a very real chance that football this year is cancelled, I'm really wondering how this would impact scholarship numbers, class sizes, etc. I'm assuming that if the season is cancelled, anyone on the current roster is granted a redshirt for this year. But there will still be a 2021 recruiting class. Soooooo, how will they reconcile the 85 limit with an incoming class and a whole team getting a redshirt year? I'm not talking specifically about the Texas roster, and more what the likely NCAA policy is going to be. Do they increase scholarship limits from 85 up to like 110 and then slowly tamp it down over the next 5 years? Shit's gonna be weird af.

I would assume they just open it up for a year, this years juniors and seniors graduate at the same time. For the juniors that don’t turn pro, they get a year of eligibility back, allowing them to A) stay one more year B) Grad transfer. 

I think the bigger issue is finding a home for the kids going to schools that won’t survive the economics of it all. 

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Successfully recruit the #1 Running back in America?  Or was this a rhetorical question?

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Good for him - can't be too many finance interns at Dallas Kimball, whatever the form it takes

Surprised Figurelli hasn’t reached out to share his wisdom on a finance internship in the big corporate world.   

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Surprised Figurelli hasn’t reached out to share his wisdom on a finance internship in the big corporate world.   

I’m hoping Figurelli will reach out and grab a bare wire while standing in a bucket of water. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, texifornia said:

Good for him - can't be too many finance interns at Dallas Kimball, whatever the form it takes

There could be.  Everyone needs a teacher and a mentor.  If mentored from an early age, anyone could be good at finance.  Usury isn't differential equations.

le sigh.....

https://oregon.rivals.com/news/five-star-og-bryce-foster-breaks-down-his-top-five

They are the same as Oregon in that ever since I was little, I always thought that Mack Brown was the coolest guy in the world. He was like the guy I always wanted to meet. I have a picture of me with him and I thought that was really cool. I told him once, “I am going to play for you one day”, my mom told me that.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall for this conversation

“They have been really supportive in letting me go wherever I want. They probably have their favorite. You probably know who they are. But they are supportive of me making my own decision on my own. I told them at the beginning of this process ‘ya’ll can want me to go somewhere and everything but at the end of the day it is going to be my future so I’m going to make the best decision for me, not based off where you want me to go.’”

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.402e240a012e6dcbcf8f8850795e450a.png

He's not coming here.  It's a perfect fit and why he wanted to commit last summer before his mom stopped him.  Pretty sure he's compromised with his mom.  She's fine with him going anywhere but Texas and pretty sure he'll take that compromise if it means not being forced to go to aggy.

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He's not coming here.  It's a perfect fit and why he wanted to commit last summer before his mom stopped him.  Pretty sure he's compromised with his mom.  She's fine with him going anywhere but Texas and pretty sure he'll take that compromise if it means not being forced to go to aggy.

I haven't followed this thread that closely, but what's his mom's deal with Texas?

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I haven't followed this thread that closely, but what's his mom's deal with Texas?

Her deal is that she would rather be a WHOOOOOOP redass aggy than to have her son go to Texas --- which is the single best fit for him and his track career, by far. He clearly wanted to commit to Texas. He has clear and realistic olympic dreams as a thrower and his shit ass mother would rather him throw that potential away and go to OU simply so that he doesn't go to tu, WHOOOOOOOOOP. Fucking cultist piece of shit. 

evidence of what kind of thrower we are talking about ::

Bryce Foster of Katy, Texas breaks an 18 year old record AAU Junior Olympic Games record in the 15-16 boys shot put with his 64' 00.50" Bomb of a throw.

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Abiara with legit interest in SMU? I'd welcome it - as I don't care where he goes as long as he doesn't end up at Texas. 

SMU handed out a rather peculiar offer on the 4th of July at first glance to Mansfield (Tex.) Legacy defensive lineman David Abiara, who has been committed to Notre Dame for a while now. Oklahoma is favored on the 247Sports Crystal Ball to flip him away from the Irish so there's work to do here.

That said, SMU defensive line coach Randall Joyner has been in contact for weeks now, working the four-star prospect. Abiara is close with SMU target and Mansfield (Tex.) Lake Ridge defensive lineman Braylen Jackson, who just picked up a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick to land with the Mustangs.

It'd be quite the shock if SMU pulled this off, but the staff is hitting its stride with momentum around the Dallas area. There's a lot of buzz around the program and prospects like Abiara are taking notice. Will that stop him from committing to the Sooners or sticking with the Irish? We will find out in the long run.

A source did indicate that the 6-4, 248-pounder has legitimate interest in SMU and talks have ramped up as of late, which led to the formal offer. SMU's making headway and I'd imagine there's a long way to go here, but there's hope on SMU's side based on their conversations with Abiara.

He'll be one to monitor going forward and would be a huge land for the staff, if they're able to wrestle him away from the Irish and slow the Sooners' momentum. Now that an offer is on the table, SMU can turn up the heat even more and see where the chips fall.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks him as the No. 336 overall prospect in the country, No. 23 overall strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 49 overall prospect in Texas.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Her deal is that she would rather be a WHOOOOOOP redass aggy than to have her son go to Texas --- which is the single best fit for him and his track career, by far. He clearly wanted to commit to Texas. He has clear and realistic olympic dreams as a thrower and his shit ass mother would rather him throw that potential away and go to OU simply so that he doesn't go to tu, WHOOOOOOOOOP. Fucking cultist piece of shit. 

evidence of what kind of thrower we are talking about ::

Blake is kind of doing the same thing with his kids isn’t he?  Personally, I’d let my son go wherever he wanted, but if he chose OU or A&M I’d make it a point to show up to his games wearing burnt orange.

I get what you are saying, but that has to be a tough pill.  I don't know if I can accurately describe how fucking disappointed I'll be if any of my kids become aggy or sooners.  

Has this ever actually been confirmed or this just sour grapes feelings that are continually reaffirmed in the surly echo chamber?