Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

rutgers ol will get an offer before ezra hand likes him oklahoma st is also starting to get in on him 

he is in the group chat still and ash has been helping in the recruitment 

if ezra offer comes first it will be because of all the social media hounding

giphy.gif

Alright, well is this kid actually good?

https://247sports.com/player/albert-reese-46052559/

Suchomel thinks we're making up ground quickly with WR Adonai Mitchell

https://247sports.com/Player/Adonai-Mitchell-46085140/

Offered a couple weeks ago, went to Ridge Point first 2 years of HS. Self reported 4.5 40m and 40' vertical. Tape includes lots of busted coverage but he's also played QB the first 2 weeks of the season (injured QB) for a 6a Tennessee team that went to the playoffs. Looks like an athlete. Would like to see some verified times. This is fun, though:

From an Ole Miss commitment article:

Mitchell is the No. 58 wide receiver for the 2021 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He had 28 catches for 417 yards with five touchdowns. That came after starting the season at quarterback because of an injury to quarterback Xayvion Clemmons, who missed the first two weeks of the season.

Mitchell's family moved to Nashville from Texas prior to the season. Mitchell said he would return to Texas in the fall to work out and sign in December.

It sounds like there are some personal dynamics that would encourage him to play in Texas. Such alluded to them as well. Auburn and Georgia are also confident in a flip.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Find it hard to believe 9.95ers and the likes of us on twitter would influence our coaches offer process.

If anything, I'd bet it makes Herman's stubborn ass more entrenched in his decision to not before because he feels like he's a Mensa genius and everyone else is stupid - just like with Casey Horny and James Brock. 

At least we're starting to hear some interesting new names at WR. Obviously we gotta land some of these dudes now but that's an improvement over where we were a couple months ago, and better than whatever the fuck we're doing (not doing) at OL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

If anything, I'd bet it makes Herman's stubborn ass more entrenched in his decision to not before because he feels like he's a Mensa genius and everyone else is stupid - just like with Casey Horny and James Brock. 

I'd bet it's not even if anything. You and me aren't a concern unless we have the ability to pull significant money off the tables. 

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

Disagree on James Brock.  Seems like James is just riding the coattail of his twin brother as far as ratings... Not mad if his evaluations piss off Blake.

Dabo's group and even Saban's folks are not nearly as high on James as $9.95er's...

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Disagree on James Brock.  Seems like James is just riding the coattail of his twin brother as far as ratings... Not mad if his evaluations piss off Blake.

Dabo's group and even Saban's folks are not nearly as high on James as $9.95er's...

He would not have these power 5 offers without his 5 star brother.  With that said, Herman should have been smarter and offered them both at the same to make them feel "special".  Tommy is worth 2 scholarships.  Stupid of us to shoot ourselves in the foot.  Herman should take notes from Saban.  Flatter James and his dad and then recruit over them.  

• Like 2

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I've watched the hudl, workout videos, and some of these recent camps and can't figure out the huge difference in ratings between Conner and Fatheree.  Conner looks much better and Fatheree appears to be just plodding around going through the motions.

Fatheree is taller and hasn't been 100% committed to football yet. There's a lot of projection there 

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I've watched the hudl, workout videos, and some of these recent camps and can't figure out the huge difference in ratings between Conner and Fatheree.  Conner looks much better and Fatheree appears to be just plodding around going through the motions.

You cannot teach 6-8, sir!

6-6?  Sure.

6-7?  Maaaybe.

6-8?  No, siree!  

And that's Fatheree!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Fatheree is taller and hasn't been 100% committed to football yet. There's a lot of projection there 

Is the kid even committed to wanting to play football? This kid has bad OL eval bust written all over him, which makes him perfect for Jimbo.

Edited by HtownHorn

@golfclap Can't argue with anything you just said.  I agree with not taking prospects that won't contribute.  But I'd trade 4 scholarships to get an elite LT.  If Herman is as mensa as he thinks he his, he should know when a parent is a helicopter dad and when they won't get butt-hurt if you don't offer twin brother.  Getting the #1 player in the state would have helped with perception and gets momentum for a class.  I would have offered and tried to lock them both up early.  But then again, it's not like we offered much later after Bama.  If dad is petty and a slightly delayed offer made him so butthurt, then he would have probably caused more issues if James wasn't getting the same playing time as Tommy most likely.

With that said, it's also important to point out Luke probably played a role here as well with rumors of him steering them away.  He has every right to do so.  With that said, no walk on would be on the team if they hurt our chances with a 5 star recruit.  If they pick Bama, let Luke walk on there as well.  You can't have it both ways. 

Edited by victory88
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

At least we're starting to hear some interesting new names at WR. Obviously we gotta land some of these dudes now but that's an improvement over where we were a couple months ago, and better than whatever the fuck we're doing (not doing) at OL.

While our WR recruiting hasn’t been great, it’s the best position to be struggling at. There’s so much talent at WR, you can put together a quality class late. 

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

@golfclap Can't argue with anything you just said.  I agree with not taking prospects that won't contribute.  But I'd trade 4 scholarships to get an elite LT.  If Herman is as mensa as he thinks he his, he should know when a parent is a helicopter dad and when they won't get butt-hurt if you don't offer twin brother.  Getting the #1 player in the state would have helped with perception and gets momentum for a class.  I would have offered and tried to lock them both up early.  But then again, it's not like we offered much later after Bama.  If dad is petty and a slightly delayed offer made him so butthurt, then he would have probably caused more issues if James wasn't getting the same playing time as Tommy most likely.

With that said, it's also important to point out Luke probably played a role here as well with rumors of him steering them away.  He has every right to do so.  With that said, no walk on would be on the team if they hurt our chances with a 5 star recruit.  If they pick Bama, let Luke walk on there as well.  You can't have it both ways. 

how does that work with him being on scholarship? PWO scholarships are 1 year at a time, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

With that said, no walk on would be on the team if they hurt our chances with a 5 star recruit.  If they pick Bama, let Luke walk on there as well.  You can't have it both ways. 

Don't forget - Luke was given a scholarship last season (Texas was under 85) during the bye week. Think about that as you think about how Blake has handled this entire thing. That's my issue with the Herman dropping the ball narrative. It's simply not true. 

And yeah, if they pick Bama they can find a home for the 3rd brother as well and Herman would be more than justified in cutting his ass loose. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

But then again, it's not like we offered much later after Bama.  If dad is petty and a slightly delayed offer made him so butthurt, then he would have probably caused more issues if James wasn't getting the same playing time as Tommy most likely.

We offered James last year at the Spring game and Bama' just offered him earlier this year when they last visited.  James got a Texas offer about 10 months before the Bama' offer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I've yet to see anything about this from anyone who is assumed to have actual sources.  All I've seen are guesses and assumptions based on "Mensa's got a shitty personality and alienated the locker room, that must be the reason."   I know a few of you do have sources, have you in fact been told this happened?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

well the $9.95ers fooled me with the James talk.. Isn't he ranked as the top C or in the top 3, nationally? 

"top C in the country" is pretty meaningless - most guys who play C in college are rated as guards, so it's a very small pool.

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can you even imagine how pissed aggy will be if they don't get to play their FCS opponents this year?

I think they are going to have to push football to the spring  ... 

...BUUUUUUUUTTT if they did just go to an SEC only schedule and kept the same basic layout -- aggy's first 3 games would be Arkansas and the Briles offense followed by Leach and Moo State and then Auburn and Nix. 

help! oh no! GIF by South Park

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

well the $9.95ers fooled me with the James talk.. Isn't he ranked as the top C or in the top 3, nationally? 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

"top C in the country" is pretty meaningless - most guys who play C in college are rated as guards, so it's a very small pool.

Let me remind you of another #1 center in the country, Terrell Cuney. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think they are going to have to push football to the spring  ... 

...BUUUUUUUUTTT if they did just go to an SEC only schedule and kept the same basic layout -- aggy's first 3 games would be Arkansas and the Briles offense followed by Leach and Moo State and then Auburn and Nix. 

help! oh no! GIF by South Park

If Bilbo gets them through that at 2-1, they should put a banner on the wall.