Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

43 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The Twitters is blowing up re: ND. If every conference follows suit, ND doesn't have a season. If ND doesn't have a season, the transfer portal is about to be LIT

ACC commissioner said they would step in and help ND, apparently they already have 6 games scheduled with ACC teams already. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

@golfclap Can't argue with anything you just said.  I agree with not taking prospects that won't contribute.  But I'd trade 4 scholarships to get an elite LT.  If Herman is as mensa as he thinks he his, he should know when a parent is a helicopter dad and when they won't get butt-hurt if you don't offer twin brother.  Getting the #1 player in the state would have helped with perception and gets momentum for a class.  I would have offered and tried to lock them both up early.  But then again, it's not like we offered much later after Bama.  If dad is petty and a slightly delayed offer made him so butthurt, then he would have probably caused more issues if James wasn't getting the same playing time as Tommy most likely.

With that said, it's also important to point out Luke probably played a role here as well with rumors of him steering them away.  He has every right to do so.  With that said, no walk on would be on the team if they hurt our chances with a 5 star recruit.  If they pick Bama, let Luke walk on there as well.  You can't have it both ways. 

Are yah trying to be like Mike??

espn_e_ditka_williams_b1_576.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gonna get interesting now...

The Big Ten conference announced on Thursday that it will play a conference-only football schedule in the fall of 2020. The conference-only season will be 10 games, according to Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/09/big-ten-conference-only-schedule-2020

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Lol. I think cancelling non-cons is a really ineffective "look! We're doing something" bandaid, so might as well say it's all or nothing.

It's a baby step so that people aren't surprised when the season happens in Spring or not at all

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That means aggy will lose Colorado. 

What if....and go with me here....the SEC decides to replace those games with in-conference games.... So instead of Colorado, Alcorn, BFEU, etc, they have to add Florida, Georgia, and Kentucky?

giphy.gif

Aggys will play Blinn before they play that schedule. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Lol. I think cancelling non-cons is a really ineffective "look! We're doing something" bandaid, so might as well say it's all or nothing.

yeah I was wondering what the rationale for this is. Just pushes the season back to get more time for the virus to subside or what?

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

yeah I was wondering what the rationale for this is. Just pushes the season back to get more time for the virus to subside or what?

I think it's about control personally. Much easier to mandate protocols within the conference. They have no control over the standards other conferences impose, which could theoretically be less demanding with less resources and funding available...plus they can get additional conference revenue to offset the lack of people in the stands. Those non-conference away dates become content they can sell if they increase the number of conference games. They also don't have to shell out to smaller schools to show up.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Are we still believing there will be a football season? I haven’t kept up with the board sentiment. I have my doubts. 

Things will be bad for July. August will be a little bit better. And, September will be better still. The problem as I see it is that there isn't enough time to plan. So if things are still bad in August, then starting in Sepetember doesn't seem possible. If this is true, October and November is too short of a season so things will have to be moved to the spring. As everyone knows, spring is problematic because of all the other sports such as basketball, baseball, etc. Plus, the NFL would have to delay the draft and everything leading up to it because it would absolutely destroy the college football season.

5 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The Twitters is blowing up re: ND. If every conference follows suit, ND doesn't have a season. If ND doesn't have a season, the transfer portal is about to be LIT

I just feel so terrible for them. 

8 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I've watched the hudl, workout videos, and some of these recent camps and can't figure out the huge difference in ratings between Conner and Fatheree.  Conner looks much better and Fatheree appears to be just plodding around going through the motions.

Conner is good at football, Fatheree isn’t 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I can picture it now.  Looch sitting at his typewriter - sweaty and covered in chicken grease.  

“It took a global pandemic to keep the Aggy from quite possibly winning a natty - by themselves.  The Covid meant that Aggy had to play only SEC, SEC, SEC opponents due to travel to the Mecca of college football being restricted.  Since SEC, SEC, SEC teams only played SEC, SEC, SEC teams - we’re going to go ahead and add this one to wall.  Fire up the engraving tool Jim John.  Jimbo brought home a title.”

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Further delaying the first of at least two Heismans for Ron Powlus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Relevant Humidor - IT: Nahlin/Wells

STATE OF RECRUITING

As we approach the middle of the summer, the Texas Longhorns' 2021 recruiting haul sits at No. 10 in 247Sports composite ranking with a good .9161 average player rating. Not bad on the surface, but defensive recruiting is far out-pacing the offensive side of the ball to this point. There is time to make up for that disparity, but will there be enough opportunity in this once-in-a-lifetime cycle?

A few high profile blue-chips remain on the board and will likely decide the narrative written on National Signing Day in December or February for this staff.

With 14 commitments on board, this leaves the coaches with 10 spots remaining. Because of Covid, the national recruiting cycle has seen more pre-season pledges than ever by a wide margin. Many uncommitted prospects remain, however.

Texas needs another linebacker. It needs a safety named Andrew Mukuba. It really needs three or four offensive linemen. Andre Coleman could add at least two wideouts with speed and shake. Oscar Giles and Mark Hagen would like to add a couple more defensive linemen. It could use another tight end or running back, but those aren’t the real pressing issues.

Two positions that are in need of a Jolt Cola (remember that meth in a can?) are wide receiver and offensive line. That’s well documented in the forum. Casey Cain and Hayden Conner are nice prospects with nice upside, but these positions need an insurgence of top-end talent.

Here’s the latest on a number of options for UT's 2021 class.

(Note: we didn’t say all options.)

Albert Regis...The La Porte native seems to be enjoying the recruiting process more and more. Power 5 offers tend to increase the stakes. The freak athlete/DT might be narrowing his list soon and fthe ormer Minnesota commit will likely have Texas and A&M in the running. There’s a chance he could decide before his senior year so UT will want to make sure if he does, they’re on top of it.

Dekel Crowdus... Andre Coleman is going into Lexington, KY to try to steal a four-star receiver already committed to the in-state Wildcats. Crowdus has had the attention of Coleman and Mike Yurcich since early this year. Now, with the help of a few UT commits, Crowdus might be open to being open to other schools. He might visit Austin if and when that’s possible, and I think that’s imperative for UT to flip the BBN blue chip. He’s a big priority.

JJ Henry.... Wide receiver is going to be interesting to watch and the class number may end up being three (we’d bet on four). At this point we don’t think Crowdus and Henry are an either/or proposition. Like with Regis, UT needs to be aware of A&M lurking. By all accounts, the McKinney North speedster isn’t in a hurry. He’s a pure slot. We feel Crowdus can play outside if need be.

Ketron Jackson... The last I heard, he’s into Arkansas and TCU. Barring a big senior year, we don’t think it’s likely Jackson will become a major point of focus.

Bryce Foster...He basically said OU, A&M, and Oregon are his top-three. That might be his first public proclamation of where his recruitment stands. Not being able to visit Texas again for the spring hurt UT’s chances, especially for the track & field pitch, but maybe development when it comes to throwing isn’t all that important. OU is the best bet. They’ll at least let him throw and he’ll receive good OL development. It’s also within driving distance.

Jaden Alexis...This recruitment seems to be holding steady. The three-star wide receiver is quite fond of Texas, holds great relationships with Mike Yurcich and Andre Coleman, and is in contact with members of the 2021 class. We’ve had the vibe the Pompano Beach, FL native might announce soon. Miami seems to be the only other genuine threat.

Michael Myslinski...Some of this has to do with the Florida three-star’s ability and potential. He’s a great center prospect, and will likely add muscle and work hard to turn into a fine college player especially if he follows in his father’s footsteps and attends Iowa. Wisconsin likes him too. Some of this might be familiarity between Herb Hand and the Myslinski family. Those relationships matter in recruiting. Myslinski told reporters he could commit before his senior campaign, and if it’s not Texas, then I believe the next man up is...

Ezra Oyetade...We see something special in the four-star from Lakeview Centennial. In our view, Oyetade could be a center or guard at the next level. His tenacity and intelligence alone makes him a take in a state full of OL takes. But only Mike Yurcich and Herb Hand’s opinions matter here. Hand is doing well maintaining the relationship, so there’s that.

[Narrator: This is easy math. You can’t take both Myslinkski’s early commitment, should he make one, and then hold out for James Brockermeyer. Two centers, and three in two years? This isn’t basketball. You can take a commitment from both Oyetade now and Brockermeyer later.]

Isaiah Johnson... For the ‘Will Texas take another corner in the class?’ crowd, the four-star defensive back from West Virginia is an option if Johnson wanted to jump into the class. Past that, I don’t know if you see another corner in this class, unless South Grand Prairie three-star Jalon Williams suddenly becomes a take. That could happen with a strong season. Corner could become a BPA position so it’s wise to have lines in the water. They won’t press the number to three if they don’t need to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Relevant Humidor - IT: Nahlin/Wells

They sound like they have zero insight into the staff's plan at OL. Of course, it's not like anyone else seems to either.

Nobody seems to be picking up on the interest into Reese, if Carl's right about that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They sound like they have zero insight into the staff's plan at OL. Of course, it's not like anyone else seems to either.

Nobody seems to be picking up on the interest into Reese, if Carl's right about that.

They have no idea. Just collective bitching about the Oyetade non-offer. 

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They prefer Myslinki over Ezra, and want to stay on Foster, Byrd, and the Brock Brothers 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They have no idea. Just collective bitching about the Oyetade non-offer. 

All the bitching about Oyetade would make sense if we were some kind of outlier in not offering, but most teams have passed. His 247 shows 6 P5 offers the best of which is probably Az St or Virginia.

I haven’t personally watched his Hudl, but seems to be some star-gazing after 247 gave him a large bump.

Edited by ChemicalHorn

1 hour ago, Fud said:

They prefer Myslinki over Ezra, and want to stay on Foster, Byrd, and the Brock Brothers 

So two guys who definitely aren’t coming here, and two who probably aren’t. Awesome.

What’s our plan B even look like? Myslinski, Conner, Ezra, and random OT prospect like Reese? 

Even then, 3 of the guys in our fallback option are big question marks to be in the class. 

3 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

All the bitching about Oyetade would make sense if we were some kind of outlier in not offering, but most teams have passed. His 247 shows 6 P5 offers the best of which is probably Az St or Virginia.

I haven’t personally watched his Hudl, but seems to be some star-gazing after 247 gave him a large bump.

Definitely seems to be a disconnect between the ratings and how coaching staffs view him, including ours. Msylinski is lower rated, but definitely has a better offer list. We’ll see if Oyetade starts to blow up soon, or if his ranking and offer list are going to be off the whole cycle. 

OL evals are tough, so staff evals/offers are a lot more informative than ratings at that position. 

14 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Except that he's been discussed as a clear take here by several posters when he was a mid 3* and well before his ratings bump - which was quite recent.

He also happens to play on the same football team with Camar Wheaton and Ikechukwu Iwunnah. 

• Like 2