Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Probably doesn't mean anything, but Tommy B's recent twitter followings are Ibraheem, Coffey, Milroe, and Conner with a couple of other randoms.

That kicks ass - although I noticed JC Latham (OT and Bama commit) was also mixed in there and it's kinda fucked that he hasn't already been following Conner and Milroe. 

Strolls over to take a look at Blake's recent followings --

Craig Young - Bama QB Bryce Young's dad. 

Greg Byrne - Bama AD

Tom Herman - ?!wut

Jeff Allen - Director of Sports Medicine University of Alabama Athletics

What about Kristy though... 

Roge Bedford - Asst AD of player personnel at Bama

Mike Yurchich - \m/ 

Kyle Flood - OL coach, Alabama

debbie downer snl GIF

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

So two guys who definitely aren’t coming here, and two who probably aren’t. Awesome.

What’s our plan B even look like? Myslinski, Conner, Ezra, and random OT prospect like Reese? 

Even then, 3 of the guys in our fallback option are big question marks to be in the class. 

Definitely seems to be a disconnect between the ratings and how coaching staffs view him, including ours. Msylinski is lower rated, but definitely has a better offer list. We’ll see if Oyetade starts to blow up soon, or if his ranking and offer list are going to be off the whole cycle. 

OL evals are tough, so staff evals/offers are a lot more informative than ratings at that position. 

Hand does the best job of actively looking under rocks for his position group of any assistant that Herman has had a Texas. Sometimes he doesn't push for guys we on the messageboards like, and sometimes he doesn't land the top targets, but he puts in the work looking for backup plans (regardless of what some posters who are mad that we didn't take an extra OL or two last cycle believe, and that is ultimately Herman's choice anyway). So basically yes, if we miss on that foursome, we're probably looking at a couple names mostly off the radar right now

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hand does the best job of actively looking under rocks for his position group of any assistant that Herman has had a Texas. Sometimes he doesn't push for guys we on the messageboards like, and sometimes he doesn't land the top targets, but he puts in the work looking for backup plans (regardless of what some posters who are mad that we didn't take an extra OL or two last cycle believe, and that is ultimately Herman's choice anyway). So basically yes, if we miss on that foursome, we're probably looking at a couple names mostly off the radar right now

Agreed. I’ve been impressed with Hand’s evals and recruiting ability, so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt,  but the OL plan isn’t liking too rosy right about now.
on the bright side,  we’ve built up 3 years of above average OL recruiting, so the position room is in a pretty good spot moving forward. 

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

New strategy for some 2021 recruits that have no 2020 high school is to reclassify early....

This found by @RGBIII 

So Mack gets to add this guy to 2020 class...

Any possibilities for Texas from the 2021 Class that might reclassify??     (Maybe Hayden??)

Not sure what numbers look like and how that even works. Conner is smart as fuck so that would make sense...wouldnt hate getting Milroe, Sanders or Bowman on campus right now either

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Further delaying the first of at least two Heismans for Ron Powlus.

Having played against ole Ron Ron in highschool this hits close to home.  

I feel for these kids getting recruited hopefully 21 seasons isn’t a clusterfuck that this one is 

17 hours ago, Fud said:

What would be really cool is if we could keep digging up intriguing late risers at OL like we do now AND start landing the occasional 5-star war daddy like Tommy B or Jackson. Whynotboth dot gif

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What would be really cool is if we could keep digging up intriguing late risers at OL like we do now AND start landing the occasional 5-star war daddy like Tommy B or Jackson. Whynotboth dot gif

So like the Johnson/Shepherd(bleh)/Hookfin/Tyler class, basically. Johnson was a very high 4 star.

On 7/10/2020 at 3:08 PM, golfclap said:

That kicks ass - although I noticed JC Latham (OT and Bama commit) was also mixed in there and it's kinda fucked that he hasn't already been following Conner and Milroe. 

Strolls over to take a look at Blake's recent followings --

Craig Young - Bama QB Bryce Young's dad. 

Greg Byrne - Bama AD

Tom Herman - ?!wut

Jeff Allen - Director of Sports Medicine University of Alabama Athletics

What about Kristy though... 

Roge Bedford - Asst AD of player personnel at Bama

Mike Yurchich - \m/ 

Kyle Flood - OL coach, Alabama

debbie downer snl GIF

Fuck This Fuck That Fuck Everything GIFs | Tenor

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I swear he was #1 somewhere. Maybe I was thinking just in Texas. Or maybe it was scout, which would also make sense 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I swear he was #1 somewhere. Maybe I was thinking just in Texas. Or maybe it was scout, which would also make sense 

Somewhat interesting on 247, it had Connor Mayes (Van Alstyne, TX) (OC 6-5 / 305) ranked above Cuney.

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He was #1 when he committed composite and 247. 

929-D27-BD-99-B2-4225-B65-E-718-CAA4-AB4

Demetrius Knox decommitted and went Buckeye. He's struggling with injury and trying to stick in the NFL.

LOL, I remember Cameron Hampton. He transferred to Lamar of all fucking places. Good job Mack!

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He was #1 when he committed composite and 247. 

929-D27-BD-99-B2-4225-B65-E-718-CAA4-AB4

Lulz at 6’4, 260. UT’s own page listed him at 6’3 his last year, and those numbers are usually inflated. No way Cuney was bigger than 6’1, 240 at the time that article was written. This was a classic example of Mack taking a player only on film without visiting. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Do we really know Hand is great at diamond in the rough OL evaluations?  Cosmi, Kerstetter and Christian Jones are the lower ranked OL recruits that panned out (or, with Jones, that we expect to pan out).  Those guys were all from the first two Herman classes with Warehime at OL coach.

Are we sure Herman isn't involved in these evaluations?

Josh Jones was just drafted in the 3rd round at UH. Another Herman evaluation on the OL. Say what you will about Herman but he seems to have a good eye for OL talent. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This was a classic example of Mack taking a player only on film without visiting. 

When Mack was flying around to visit commits/avoid being fired he flew to Jasper to supposedly visit Cuney. I knew the airport manager who said it was only a fuel stop and Mack never got out of the plane 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, I didn’t think I was being particularly subtle.

But seriously, this is what Myslinski looks like in high school - do you really think the son of an NFL S&C coach is maxed out at 17 looking like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.15fc8cc74cc60454e6194524fe4613ac.jpeg

I'm thinking this is more a maxed out nfl  S&C coaches son. 

hqdefault-1.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

But seriously, this is what Myslinski looks like in high school - do you really think the son of an NFL S&C coach is maxed out at 17 looking like this:

No. It makes me think that comments about his work ethic and his dad’s know-how are both suspect, and now he Definitely isnt worth an offer. Before I was just pretty sure. But now it’s obvious 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

When Mack was flying around to visit commits/avoid being fired he flew to Jasper to supposedly visit Cuney. I knew the airport manager who said it was only a fuel stop and Mack never got out of the plane 

Holy shit. This is some of the best and funniest inside info ever posted on here. I don’t even care if it’s false, it sounds way too believable not to run with it. 

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. It makes me think that comments about his work ethic and his dad’s know-how are both suspect, and now he Definitely isnt worth an offer. Before I was just pretty sure. But now it’s obvious 

Yeah, so much this. If he’s that far from being maxed out, then why the fuck is he that far away? That seems like more of a red flag than if we thought he was close to maxed out.

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Hand, Iowa and Oregon all liking this kid is so weird.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

hahaha. Carl coming back to life for about the tenth time only to actually stick around and drop bombs in the recruiting thread on the reg is easily one of the weirdest, most unexpected things I could have imaged. pretty much par for the course in 2020. 

It's like a new Higdon. I love it. Feels like Malikmas season all over again.